PDA

View Full Version : Another Dum Question

Pieces Hit
11/13/2007, 10:32 AM
What - the heck - are those little arm bands worn just above or sometimes below the bicep for?

Pieces Hit
11/13/2007, 11:06 AM
A-ha!

So either:

A. No one knows the answer

B. It's a tired, oft discussed question

C. No one likes me :O

I can live with "C" but I'd still like to know as my wife asks me during every game.

humblesooner
11/13/2007, 11:16 AM
A-ha!

So either:

A. No one knows the answer

B. It's a tired, oft discussed question

C. No one likes me :O

I can live with "C" but I'd still like to know as my wife asks me during every game.

I was just going to ask if you were my wife. I get the same question.
My answer every week so far has been "Who cares?".

My guess is that they started as sweatbands and became fashion. They do make the muscles more defined. That being said, I don't know why they wear them above the calves.

Boomer.....
11/13/2007, 11:25 AM
http://image.funexpress.com/feimg/k68a.jpg

Boomer.....
11/13/2007, 11:26 AM
I always thought that they prevented dislocations.

gh55
11/13/2007, 11:35 AM
several years ago my doctor had me wear one for what he called tennis elbow. I told him I didn't play tennis but was playing raquet ball at the time.

mxATVracer10
11/13/2007, 11:39 AM
I'm not even sure if the players wearing them know what they are for.....:texan:

Jason White's Third Knee
11/13/2007, 11:42 AM
...a dumb question, yes. The same dumb question that has been running through my mind lately.

Must be like a sweatband version of the chest bump or something. It needs to go away.

1890MilesToNorman
11/13/2007, 11:45 AM
I found this on Wiki.answers.com, don't know if it is accurate though.

"Answer: Bands that are worn the wrist are for sweating, however most all football players, tennis players etc; will wear tight bands around their elbows because the tendons of the elbow slowly and painfully begin to pull away from the bone of the elbow during stress. This is where the pain in your elbow originates. With continued repetitive use of the elbow, the tendon-bone connection continues to weaken and the pain in your elbow steadily increases. By placing continual pressure on the tendons connecting the Flexor and the Extensor muscles to the Medial and Lateral Epicondyles, thus significantly reducing the tension at the point of connection to the bone. Reduceing the stress on the Tendinitis, "

ClintonSooner
11/13/2007, 11:51 AM
God honest, as a high school player, I, along with my teamates wore these in the same place more for fashion. It's true that it can help with elbow pains, but kids just want to look cool.

Curly Bill
11/13/2007, 11:56 AM
They are ghey and serve no purpose, except to advertise for Nike or whoever makes them. They're not big enough to be effective as a sweatband, and you know all the clowns wearing them aren't doing so for elbow pain. JMHO, of course.

OUmillenium
11/13/2007, 12:12 PM
Worn for looks.

Most wear the Under Armor brand.

OUster
11/13/2007, 12:30 PM
I thought they sucked, also, and needed to go away..until...I saw one at Academy and tried it on. I had knee surgery and the band above the calf is supposed to help with keeping the patella stable. If you ever look at one of those things up close, it is not just a band but also has formed cushioning in it. It actually does help and I wear it when I am running now.

Another thing I realized...Derrick Strait and Brandon Everage were the first to be credited with wearing them...at least from what I have heard. It might be Sooner Urban Legend, but Strait was the first I ever saw making this fashion statment. I will love those guys, even when loving them is wrong :O

Pieces Hit
11/13/2007, 12:31 PM
Could be worse, I guess.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4587/mcbearsb.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
11/13/2007, 12:34 PM
I think I'll start wearing one to work.

Dan Thompson
11/13/2007, 12:42 PM
My nephew, who played for a not so famous PAC-10 team, said they where for "looks only". We were talking about the thiner bands, not the 2" or 3" wide bands.

SoonerStormchaser
11/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Anyone know where I can get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 01:04 PM
What do they call him AD when his initials are AP?

SoonerJLB
11/13/2007, 02:05 PM

My guess is that they started as sweatbands and became fashion. They do make the muscles more defined. That being said, I don't know why they wear them above the calves.

Too funny..my wife asked the same thing and I had no real answer...but said they were kind of like those Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" wrist bands but only much different. :)

sooner_born_1960
11/13/2007, 02:13 PM
The tendon answer is correct. Just like the bands worn just below the patella. They take pressure off the tendon.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2007, 02:15 PM
It protects their mendulla oblongata

madillsoonerfan5353
11/13/2007, 07:34 PM

I think the one right below the knee are to take pain away from something call, don't hold me to the spelling but Osgood Slaughters! I wore them in high school!!!

boomersooner28
11/13/2007, 10:18 PM
Could be worse, I guess.

HOLY ****! Did McMahon actually think that looked cool? What a doosh! :D

Soonerfan88
11/13/2007, 10:30 PM
Yes, there are bands worn for tennis elbow. But what they are wearing on the field is just a strip of cloth as a fashion statement. Someone, somewhere decided it made their biceps look bigger and started a trend. Then Nike & others decided it was another way to get their logo on the field. Now, just like baggy drawers, kids think it is cool and everyone does it.

goingoneight
11/14/2007, 12:20 AM
You wear wrist bands to keep from getting oily sweat on your hands. IOW "butterfingers." Butterfingers are not good if you're a lineman or a skill position player.

The rubber bands are as the Wikipedia reference states... it's a tendon dealio.

BermudaSooner
11/14/2007, 02:55 PM
Could be worse, I guess.

Damnit, now I've got the chorus of the "Superbowl Shuffle" running through my head and I can't get it out.

cs6000
11/14/2007, 03:30 PM
my daughter works in the OU Athletic Dept study lab. She asked one of the D-lineman the same question. He said, "Those boys just want to look good".

frankensooner
11/14/2007, 03:37 PM
I wrenched my neck this morning, do they have bands for your neck? ;)

soonerhillbilly
11/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Hmm, makes your muscles look bigger?? hmmm..

85sooners
11/14/2007, 04:58 PM
lets party!