PDA

View Full Version : watching the game on "mute"

ouwasp
11/12/2007, 11:40 PM
I do this quite often (during Sooner games). The inane stating-the-obvious claptrap along with manufacturing hype about most any situation is so grating....

There's some guy on FSN that's the worst. I haven't bothered to learn his name. Of course, Mushburger is over the top as well.

Nope, not gonna listen to Bob Barry.

Does anybody else do this?

Soonerus
11/12/2007, 11:43 PM
I do this quite often (during Sooner games). The inane stating-the-obvious claptrap along with manufacturing hype about most any situation is so grating....

There's some guy on FSN that's the worst. I haven't bothered to learn his name. Of course, Mushburger is over the top as well.

Not unless I am stuck in a car and it is maddening...

Breadburner
11/12/2007, 11:52 PM
I wish I could but I can't....I like to have someone to give $hit to during the game....

OUinFLA
11/12/2007, 11:59 PM
I guess that means you've been missing the really cool Dr. Pepper commercials?

<edit> commercial?

Stitch Face
11/12/2007, 11:59 PM
Not unless I am stuck in a car and it is maddening...

You listen to the broadcast on mute in the car? Is that like a tree-falling-in-the-woods kinda thing?

Whet
11/13/2007, 12:05 AM
I mute the TV and listen to BB on Sirius. This requires me to "pause" the TV for about 5-6 seconds, so the TV and Sirius are in sync. Even then, its fun to listen to BB describe the play (with Merv gently correcting Bob on his calls)

Ground_Attack
11/13/2007, 12:14 AM
I hope that Dr. Pepper isn't actually paying for that commercial. If I saw that guy that plays the football player on the street, I'd kick him in the sack.

soonermeteor
11/13/2007, 12:16 AM
I can't stand the OMG team that later loses by 40 points scored UPSET UPSET UPSET! :rolleyes:

Fortunately I've been to half the games this year. No commentators there except the audience, and they seem pretty smart. :D

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 12:30 AM
BBS drives me crazy trying to listen to him....

ouwasp
11/13/2007, 12:47 AM
I've been to two games this yr; Mizzou and a&m. They were so much more enjoyable than seeing a broadcast...

I flick to other games during commercials and "under review" times. The announcers aren't all bad, just mostly bad. Of course, I still talk to the TV like it is a sentient being and able to process my profound football advice...:O

It probably wishes to mute ME....:P

OzarkSooner
11/13/2007, 12:48 AM
I always, always MUTE the TV broadcast and listen to the radio broadcast. The only time I UN-MUTE is to listen to interviews of Stoops or various other OU celebs. during timeouts, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Bob Barry, but he's hands-down less objectionable than any TeeVee commentator I've heard.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2007, 01:38 AM
A long time ago I would listen to the Sooner radio broadcast over the TV. Now I get a choice between dumb and dumber, with dumber being the network guys. But I still don't listen to the radio broadcast. Instead I listen to the network guys. It's way more fun to rag them on Saturday night and Sunday than "our" guy.

We need to get some new people doing the Sooner broadcasts soon. Trent is usually ok on the sideline, but we need to just pony up the bucks and get some good former Sooners who have stayed relatively close to the program to do the games.

I vote for Switzer, Tillman, and JC Watts.

Though, I must admit Tillman doesn't quite meet my own criteria since on tv you'd never know he ever played, much less for OU!

Lott's Bandana
11/13/2007, 08:55 AM
Though, I must admit Tillman doesn't quite meet my own criteria since on tv you'd never know he ever played, much less for OU!

Speaking of Troy Aikman...

All the critics love him, but he feels like his monotone drone (redundant?) has to fill up all the time between NFL plays. Saying things like: "As a right-handed QB, the defense wants Romo to have to roll left to throw." and blather like that, never any humor or even taking a breath!

This is one case where Moose Johnston does a much better job.

CincySooner
11/13/2007, 09:05 AM

Well... Since I live outside the TV market for OU games, I am constantly required to go to BW3s and ask for the OU game to be put on a TV in the corner. I never get audio and I miss it sometimes.

Funny things happen when you go the BW3s. I witnessed one of the most appalling public melt-downs I've ever seen while I was waiting for the OU game to start. It started with Illinois holding the ball for the final 8 minutes and ended with some tOSU fan being dragged out of the place by his 2 friends.

r5TPsooner
11/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Well... Since I live outside the TV market for OU games, I am constantly required to go to BW3s and ask for the OU game to be put on a TV in the corner. I never get audio and I miss it sometimes.

Funny things happen when you go the BW3s. I witnessed one of the most appalling public melt-downs I've ever seen while I was waiting for the OU game to start. It started with Illinois holding the ball for the final 8 minutes and ended with some tOSU fan being dragged out of the place by his 2 friends.

Good ole BW3 for the OU fan who is out of market.

Been there, done that.

Get satellite.

birddog
11/13/2007, 09:31 AM
i wish i had that dude's hair that works in the studio. you know , the 45-year old man with the guido-spiked hair with blonde highlights. rick something or other.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 09:36 AM
i wish i had that dude's hair that works in the studio. you know , the 45-year old man with the guido-spiked hair with blonde highlights. rick something or other.
looks like he has a toupee on backwards

Lott's Bandana
11/13/2007, 09:41 AM

You probably witnessed something not so uncommon on Saturday, BW3's first restaurant was started next to tosu's campus...I imagine there was lots of draggin being done after that game.

The_Red_Patriot
11/13/2007, 09:52 AM
There's some guy on FSN that's the worst. I haven't bothered to learn his name.

Its the guy that says "wow" alot isn't it?

cheezyq
11/13/2007, 09:53 AM
There's some guy on FSN that's the worst.

That would be Dave Lapham. I go into seizures when I hear his voice.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2007, 09:57 AM
I listened to the Mizzou game with the Tiger announcing team on the radio..I was very impressed. They werent the over homer crew that called a pretty unbiased game and actually gave good information on the opposing teams players. I know after A lofton tackle, they took time to talk about how good of a player he is and gave some neat background on him..Typically don't see that from a schools crew.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 10:02 AM
I listened to the Mizzou game with the Tiger announcing team on the radio..I was very impressed. They werent the over homer crew that called a pretty unbiased game and actually gave good information on the opposing teams players. I know after A lofton tackle, they took time to talk about how good of a player he is and gave some neat background on him..Typically don't see that from a schools crew.
Go to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

We aren't allowed to say anything positive about writers, announcers, other teams, ESPN, or David Hasselhoff.

aurorasooner
11/13/2007, 10:08 AM
Just thought of something. Why can't ABC, during their regional coverage of multiple games, when they cut-off a game like they did with the aTm/OU game broadcast, broadcast on the standard def SAP (second audio program), the radio broadcast from the team's that's in the lead -- game radio broadcast (or just keep the regular TV announcers working as radio announcers). Although that wouldn't keep the fans of the team in the lead as happy as them following thru with the game completely, it would pizz them off a lot less and they could listen to the original games audio, while continuing to watch the better game. (without all the hassle of trying to find a 'net radio link).
This is so simple, it's ridiculous that ABC doesn't do it so fans of the winning team don't hate them so much. It would be better if there was a communication process where they could just open up the gameplan channel to everyone at N/C or switch the game to ESPNclassic or ESPN news when they decide to switch to another game, but they don't seem to GAS about the fans and the technology is there, it's just a matter of them getting it together with a plan.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 10:09 AM
What if the lead changes a lot? Or if the winning team doesn't take the lead until late?

aurorasooner
11/13/2007, 10:22 AM
What if the lead changes a lot? Or if the winning team doesn't take the lead until late? huh? Why in the world they switch away from one regional game to another regional game where there was a possibility of the trailing team taking the lead? I've never switched to the SAP channel during an ABC CFB broadcast or for that matter any other CFB broadcast). Is there any audio broadcast on the SAP channel during the regular season? I think big bowl games and probably the BCS Championship game are probably broadcast in Spanish, but I don't know about just regular season CFB games.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 10:24 AM
huh? Why in the world they switch away from one regional game to another regional game where there was a possibility of the trailing team taking the lead?
I get what you are saying.

I guess I rarely get bit by game shifting.