PDA

View Full Version : Is there a dog whisperer in the house????

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 10:08 PM
I'm gonna choke him down......... I swear I am! This beast makes Cujo look like a french poodle!
Hey Bri, can I borrow your rug cleaner?:mad:

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 10:19 PM
somehow, I knew what this thread would be about before I even clicked on it.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 10:21 PM
but you couldn't resist clicking on it anyway could you? Just when you think its safe to go back in the water.........

olevetonahill
11/12/2007, 10:42 PM
Call me Ill talk to that dog Course it wont do any good :eek:

sooneron
11/12/2007, 10:46 PM
Put some bells on the door that you let the dog out of- every time you let him/her out, ring the bells. If the dog is worth a lick it will begin to ring the bells to go out to make doody. Always praise for good behavior. Every time the dog comes back inside from doing an outdoorsy act, give them a treat.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 10:48 PM
I think you are suppose to whisper to him. Dog has major psychiatric problems. I think it is from overbreeding.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 10:52 PM
Put some bells on the door that you let the dog out of- every time you let him/her out, ring the bells. If the dog is worth a lick it will begin to ring the bells to go out to make doody. Always praise for good behavior. Every time the dog comes back inside from doing an outdoorsy act, give them a treat.

Sounds good in theory, but you don't know this dog!! He doesn't doody in the house, he just pee pees. He knows better. He would just rather go in the house. He spits doggy treats out. Not just bad bathroom habits, he gets psychotic whenever anyone comes over to the house. He hollers like someone is beating the daylights out of him. He has never been mistreated at all. Extremely high strung. I had "overnight" company a couple of weeks ago and I had to give him (the dog) benadryl. I'm serious - I need help!

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 11:00 PM
you know, most of the time on that dog whisperer show the problem isn't the dog. The guy usually has to retrain the dog's owner.

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:01 PM
Does he have a kennel/cage that he sleeps in?

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:03 PM
you know, most of the time on that dog whisperer show the problem isn't the dog. The guy usually has to retrain the dog's owner.
Well, you may be on to something there. However, I got the dog when he was a puppy, and he was whacko when I got him. I'm sure I've spoiled him though. He won't even get off of the bed for me to change sheets. He just growls at me and moves from one side to the other! When I try to get firm with him he snaps at me. I'm telling you - he is Cujo. If I didn't love him I would kick his butt out.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:06 PM
Does he have a kennel/cage that he sleeps in?
uh no........I tried that the first night I had him and he cried all night long so I didn't do that anymore. He also peed on my bed three times the second night. I was up all night washing sheets!! I know, I know.......:O

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 11:07 PM
sounds like the dog's in charge.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:10 PM
sounds like the dog's in charge.
He is!! I'll admit it. Very much an alpha dog. I had a cocker spaniel before this one and he was so humble and sweet. I even took Cujo to obedience school, but he didn't pass. I think I'm going to ask the vet about a sedative for him.

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 11:15 PM
He is!! I'll admit it. Very much an alpha dog. I had a cocker spaniel before this one and he was so humble and sweet. I even took Cujo to obedience school, but he didn't pass. I think I'm going to ask the vet about a sedative for him.

A rolled up newspaper or a fly-swatter works well for me. Your dog sounds like he might take it from you though. Good luck. ;)

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 11:20 PM
Sedagive?!?

sooneron
11/12/2007, 11:21 PM
My suggestion works well for both bathroom needs.
It sounds like if you want to keep this dog, you should have someone come over for one on one obedience lessons. We had someone that was about 50 an hour. It was the $250 we could have spent on the boy. Of course, our dog didn't sound like any problem at all, comparatively speaking.

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:24 PM
I think it's time for you to get firm with the guy. A couple nights of him whining go away quickly versus him being a brat peeing on the bed.

I'd honestly suggest the book Caeser's Way. Other than that, it's all up to you.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:24 PM
Sedagive?!?
I don't mean "off" him or anything like that. Just something to calm him down. I think I may need a sedative too!!

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:26 PM
What breed of dog? How many walks do you take with him? Does he heel when you walk him? Have you seen those chain collars that have spikes on the inside (they work)?

Are you consistent with him?

GottaHavePride
11/12/2007, 11:28 PM
Sedagive?!?

PUT.... THE CANDLE.... BACK!

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:28 PM
I think it's time for you to get firm with the guy. A couple nights of him whining go away quickly versus him being a brat peeing on the bed.

I'd honestly suggest the book Caeser's Way. Other than that, it's all up to you.
But you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks......
I know I need to make him mind me - but he gets aggressive with me and I'm kind of afraid to. I appreciate your book recommendation - I'll certainly give it a shot.

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:29 PM
Wear Leather Gloves or if you fear your own safety, Sooneron is giving wise advice regarding a trainer to get his behavior stabilized.

I feel your pain though. The main thing is to not give up. You can retrain the dog.

GottaHavePride
11/12/2007, 11:30 PM
Well, you may be on to something there. However, I got the dog when he was a puppy, and he was whacko when I got him. I'm sure I've spoiled him though. He won't even get off of the bed for me to change sheets. He just growls at me and moves from one side to the other! When I try to get firm with him he snaps at me. I'm telling you - he is Cujo. If I didn't love him I would kick his butt out.

Yes. This is the problem. The dog knows you aren't going to make it behave. If he won't get off the bed, pick him up and toss him on the floor. If he pees in the house you rub his nose in it and tell him he's a bad dog. There's a lot of ways to handle this, but all of them involve you not letting the dog dictate what happens.

sooneron
11/12/2007, 11:32 PM
PUT.... ZEE CANDLE.... BACK!
Fixed

GottaHavePride
hehehe

Soonerbabeinbama
What breed of dog? How many walks do you take with him? Does he heel when you walk him? Have you seen those chain collars that have spikes on the inside (they work)?

Are you consistent with him?

He is a cocker spaniel. I don't take him on walks anymore. He doesn't heel and he is awful when we come across anyone. Collars with inside spikes? Yikes! Its just been the two of us for awhile so he isn't good with "strangers".

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:34 PM
Yes. This is the problem. The dog knows you aren't going to make it behave. If he won't get off the bed, pick him up and toss him on the floor. If he pees in the house you rub his nose in it and tell him he's a bad dog. There's a lot of ways to handle this, but all of them involve you not letting the dog dictate what happens.
pick him up and toss him on the floor? Are you kidding me? Been there and he has bitten me.

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:34 PM
FWIW our dogs hated the kennels at first, but now enjoy them as their little place of security.

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 11:35 PM
Fixedif you're REALLY going to fix it, it should be

PUT.... ZEE CANDLE.... BECK!

olevetonahill
11/12/2007, 11:35 PM
But you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks......
I know I need to make him mind me - but he gets aggressive with me and I'm kind of afraid to. I appreciate your book recommendation - I'll certainly give it a shot.
Shoot the sonsabitch . get you a dog that Wont run over ya .

proud gonzo
11/12/2007, 11:37 PM
pick him up and toss him on the floor? Are you kidding me? Been there and he has bitten me.well of course he did! He knows he's in charge and you won't do anything to him.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Wear Leather Gloves or if you fear your own safety, Sooneron is giving wise advice regarding a trainer to get his behavior stabilized.

I feel your pain though. The main thing is to not give up. You can retrain the dog.
Wear leather gloves???? He's a cocker, not a falcon!!! :eek: Yes, it is difficult. He can be affectionate - in his own way - he is just so nervous and high strung. I don't know what to do about his "yowling" like crazy when someone comes around him. He doesn't stop - keeps on and on.

soonerhubs
11/12/2007, 11:38 PM
He is a cocker spaniel. I don't take him on walks anymore. He doesn't heel and he is awful when we come across anyone. Collars with inside spikes? Yikes! Its just been the two of us for awhile so he isn't good with "strangers".
http://www.dog-training.com/images/fsdtallpinch.JPG

Sure they look scary, but they actually get more control out of dogs than a choke collar, and they also save their trachea.

This website (http://www.dog-training.com/fsdtchai.htm#Pinch%20Collars%20&%20Extra%20Links)looks good, but petsmart or petco have these as well.

olevetonahill
11/12/2007, 11:39 PM
pick him up and toss him on the floor? Are you kidding me? Been there and he has bitten me.
Have you had his NUTs cut yet ?
That makes a bad boy be good . :eek:

ChickSoonerFan
11/12/2007, 11:44 PM
I love that show! I can never find it on TV here at home.

If you could watch it, I bet you could learn some tips on taking charge of your dog. He needs to know who is the boss. And he will be a happier dog for it. He may be so nervous and high strung because he THINKS he is the boss and it is too much pressure and responsiblity for him. He needs to be free to be a dog.

hehehee..just kidding. I have no idea, but it sounds like something he would say on the show.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:47 PM
Have you had his NUTs cut yet ?
That makes a bad boy be good . :eek:
yeah, his nuts have been cut, I think that just ****ed him off even more!!

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 11:47 PM
I've got a miniature-pinscher...one of the more high-strung dogs there is. He could be a handful when I first got him, but with firm and steady discipline he turned out to be the greatest dog ever. There were times when I had to assert that I was the boss, or else let him think that he was, this is where that newspaper and fly-swatter came into play. Yes I praised him when appropriate, and I also trained him to a kennel. That's where he runs to these days when he thinks he might be in trouble, it is his homebase and place of shelter.

Remember dogs are basically pack animals, and as such they are always looking to assert dominance over others, or to accept it from others. You have to be the dominant one...otherwise your dog will think that it's supposed to be him.

olevetonahill
11/12/2007, 11:49 PM
yeah, his nuts have been cut, I think that just ****ed him off even more!!
Then shoot the lil bastage and get a decent dog .

olevetonahill
11/12/2007, 11:50 PM
I've got a miniature-pinscher...one of the more high-strung dogs there is. He could be a handful when I first got him, but with firm and steady discipline he turned out to be the greatest dog ever. There were times when I had to assert that I was the boss, or else let him think that he was, this is where that newspaper and fly-swatter came into play. Yes I praised him when appropriate, and I also trained him to a kennel. That's where he runs to these days when he thinks he might be in trouble, it is his homebase and place of shelter.

Remember dogs are basically pack animals, and as such they are always looking to assert dominance over others, or to accept it from others. You have to be the dominant one...otherwise your dog will think that it's supposed to be him.

So what hes sayin Is YOU need to get a set !:cool:

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 11:55 PM
Hey, my Mom has the same problems with her Chihuahua. She doesn't get why my dog minds and her's doesn't. I tell her it's because I make mine mind and she doesn't.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/12/2007, 11:57 PM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2117/cherryeyebuddydc9.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cherryeyebuddydc9.jpg)

Thank you all for your advice. I will do my best to take charge and report back with results. Might be one handed typing though, because I'm sure one of my hands will be gnawed off in the training process!

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 11:57 PM
Wear leather gloves???? He's a cocker, not a falcon!!! :eek:

LMAO at this. :D

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 12:02 AM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2117/cherryeyebuddydc9.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cherryeyebuddydc9.jpg)

Thank you all for your advice. I will do my best to take charge and report back with results. Might be one handed typing though, because I'm sure one of my hands will be gnawed off in the training process!
He just needs hisass kicked
Take charge Babe .

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 12:03 AM
Okay, I'm off to put on my leather gloves and my spiked collar - oh wait, the spiked collar is for the dog isn't it?..............

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 12:05 AM
Okay, I'm off to put on my leather gloves and my spiked collar - oh wait, the spiked collar is for the dog isn't it?..............
Oh Hell Babe you didnt say you needed assistance :eek:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/13/2007, 12:08 AM
Wear leather gloves???? He's a cocker, not a falcon!!!

Yes. Wear leather gloves. And get an inanimate object like a rolled up newspaper (NEVER your hand!), a plain ol' squirt bottle full of plain ol' tap water, and a no BS attitude when it comes to the dog. Nothing that's unacceptable gets by, whatever it is. You can't waffle in the process or you'll just confuse the dog and make it more stupid.

Yes, it is difficult. He can be affectionate - in his own way - he is just so nervous and high strung. I don't know what to do about his "yowling" like crazy when someone comes around him. He doesn't stop - keeps on and on.

That's where the squirt bottle comes in. Leave it out handy and full. CONSISTENTLY, as in every time he starts the yelping, put that squirt bottle on a straight stream and blast him in the face. Right in the kisser, and back that up with a strong "NO!" with every blast. Two or three times with every yelpfest. Again, the key is consistency. Every time. Smoke him right in the face simultaneously with a firm "NO!". It'll take time, but the negative reinforcement of the water to the face isn't taken as aggression from you, yet the negative reinforcer is correlated with the neutral stimulus of you saying no. With consistency and a little time, the dog will connect your shout of "no" with the negative stimulus, and to shut him up, all you have to do is say no. If the dog is sharp, he'll save you a step and directly correlate the yelping with the blast of water to the face and quit alltogether.

The newspaper is for everything else. The same principles apply, consistency, firm verbal response (again, making the connection of "NO!" with bad behavior will net consistent results), and the following negative reinforcer. Regardless of what the behavior is you want to change, make an instant effort to correct the behavior, don't show anger or aggression, be firm and resolute, and do it every time so that each instance builds on the last to eventually classically condition the dog out of these errant behaviors. With this in mind, you don't have to be the "alpha dog" and you don't have to pull your hair out in frustration as each and every instance of the behavior will have a response that is working toward the desired outcome, your soon-to-be well behaved dog.

Good luck with it.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/13/2007, 12:10 AM
In addendum...

Some cockers are just retarded. Seriously.

Is there a chance your dog is an inbred?

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 12:10 AM
Must go now - Buddy says its time for bed;)
Looks like the training will start tomorrow!

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 12:13 AM
In addendum...

Some cockers are just retarded. Seriously.

Is there a chance your dog is an inbred?
yeah, he may be retarded - seriously
Could be an inbred. His father's name is Big Jake and his mother's name is Daisy Mae - you tell me!!!!
Got to watch out for those Alabama cocker spaniel farms

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 12:14 AM
Must go now - Buddy says its time for bed;)
Looks like the training will start tomorrow!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :pop: :pop: :pop:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/13/2007, 12:16 AM
It's an honest question.

Lots of inbreeding of dogs out there to produce lots of pups from quality bloodlines. The whole "puppy mill" thing you hear about. I've heard it's bad with cockers.

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 12:28 AM
It's an honest question.

Lots of inbreeding of dogs out there to produce lots of pups from quality bloodlines. The whole "puppy mill" thing you hear about. I've heard it's bad with cockers.
Wish I had known that. I know most cockers are very good natured, I've even heard that black cockers have the best temperament - not in this case!! But, I also know that some cockers are a bit nutsy and have a mean streak in them. Guess I won the prize in this drawing.

Vaevictis
11/13/2007, 12:36 AM
... a plain ol' squirt bottle full of plain ol' tap water, and a no BS attitude when it comes to the dog.

And FWIW, if you find you need a little more "zing" to the spray bottle, add a small amount of white vinegar to it. It doesn't do any harm, but dogs really hate it.

achiro
11/13/2007, 08:29 AM
So I'm still not clear on this, are we really talking about a dog or is this your boyfriend?

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 08:36 AM
Ironically, Cockers are the Paris Hilton of the dog family.

TopDaugIn2000
11/13/2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.dog-training.com/images/fsdtallpinch.JPG

Sure they look scary, but they actually get more control out of dogs than a choke collar, and they also save their trachea.

This website (http://www.dog-training.com/fsdtchai.htm#Pinch%20Collars%20&%20Extra%20Links)looks good, but petsmart or petco have these as well.

After several walks with Lucy and nearly getting my arm pulled off while she lunged and barked at EVERY car that went by, I went to petsmart and dropped about $12 on one of these gems. The very FIRST time I put it on her she was a totally different dog. Just a gentle tug and she would heel, and didn't even try to go after the cars. Seriously, totally different dog. Best $12 I've ever spent. Oh, and it's just for use during walks, it's not an "every day" collar of course.

soonerbrat
11/13/2007, 09:01 AM
sounds like a dog that i would want to drop kick.

soonerbrat
11/13/2007, 09:02 AM
Not lucy...the cocker.

C&CDean
11/13/2007, 10:16 AM
Let's see. You've got a ****ing dog in your house that you're afraid of, a dog that runs roughshod all over you, a dog that dictates when and where he ****es and ****s, a dog that has actually bitten you more than once.

Are you a ****ing moron? Judas H. Priest wearing a spiked collar, get rid of the POS dog and never get another one. If you're gonna let a dog control your life, it's no wonder it's "only been you and him for a long time." You shouldn't own a pet if you can't manage that pet.

Oh, and nice to see you back on the board.

TopDaugIn2000
11/13/2007, 11:29 AM
Not lucy...the cocker.
yeah, you BETTER clarify. I was about to dropkick YOU!!! :D :P :D

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 08:29 PM
So I'm still not clear on this, are we really talking about a dog or is this your boyfriend?
We are really talking "dog" but the boyfriend and dog have a serious hate/hate relationship. Boyfriend is not an animal person so this is like pouring gasoline on a fire. Boyfriend is going to be spending Thanksgiving with me so he is footing the bill to put Cujo in the lockup for a few days!!:cool:

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 08:33 PM
Let's see. You've got a ****ing dog in your house that you're afraid of, a dog that runs roughshod all over you, a dog that dictates when and where he ****es and ****s, a dog that has actually bitten you more than once.

Are you a ****ing moron? Judas H. Priest wearing a spiked collar, get rid of the POS dog and never get another one. If you're gonna let a dog control your life, it's no wonder it's "only been you and him for a long time." You shouldn't own a pet if you can't manage that pet.

Oh, and nice to see you back on the board.
howdy Dean - I thought this thread would bring out the "animal lover" in you. You are right, I'm a """""""ing moron. I admit it. I have many animals, and I have control over them, Cujo is just an exception to the rule. We have a special relationship and I love him - otherwise, he would be toast. We'll get it figured out. And thanks - nice to be back on the SF. I've been in treatment, but they are letting me out a little bit now. ;)

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 08:59 PM
howdy Dean - I thought this thread would bring out the "animal lover" in you. You are right, I'm a """""""ing moron. I admit it. I have many animals, and I have control over them, Cujo is just an exception to the rule. We have a special relationship and I love him - otherwise, he would be toast. We'll get it figured out. And thanks - nice to be back on the SF. I've been in treatment, but they are letting me out a little bit now. ;)

HEH they let me out for a weekend pass . I said ****em and dint go back :D

Soonerbabeinbama
11/13/2007, 09:08 PM
HEH they let me out for a weekend pass . I said ****em and dint go back :D
yes I know, they have been asking about you

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 09:13 PM
yes I know, they have been asking about you
They miss my wit Huh ?