PDA

View Full Version : Did Barry Switzer Rank TheOSU Ahead Of Us?

TXBOOMER
11/12/2007, 07:53 PM
A whorn fan at work told me The King ranked his top 5 as below on the NFL fox broadcast yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

1 LSU
2 UO
3 Ohio State
4 OU
5 MO

madillsoonerfan5353
11/12/2007, 08:04 PM
A whorn fan at work told me The King ranked his top 5 as below on the NFL fox broadcast yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

1 LSU
2 UO
3 Ohio State
4 OU
5 MO

I'm pretty sure thats how it was! I know for a fact a couple weeks ago OU wasn't in his top five!! Kinda hurt when Jimmy Johnson was like what about OU, Kansas, Mizzou! I don't know whats up!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

soonersnow
11/12/2007, 08:07 PM
Must have been a misprint! Were's Kansas?

BermudaSooner
11/12/2007, 08:11 PM
Must have been a misprint! Were's Kansas?

Switzer went 14-2 against KU, with the only losses being the 8 turnover debacle in 75 and the 5 turnover loss in the early 80s. He probably still remembers what pushovers they were.

Sooner Eclipse
11/12/2007, 08:31 PM
I can confirm it. Not sure of #5 but OU was 4 below tOSU. Was shocked that tOSU was still in his top 5. Much less above OU. Jimmy went more mainstream. I think his were:

UO
LSU
OU
MU
KU

(KU MU might have been swapped)

CatfishSooner
11/12/2007, 08:38 PM
WTF switz/??

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think tOSU is anything great at all. I think they're a product of their schedule and an extremely bad BIG 11. That's just me, though...

King also thought we'd destroy Boise State based on talent alone... so it's possible he could be wrong at times. Much as we like him, he's just giving an opinion, and he has not been impressed with us all year long. Understandably so when you think about it enough. Senior leadership, defense gives up too many homerun plays and the offense sputters around on the road against under-matched foes.

We have the talent to win big games, that much was evident by the Texas and Mizzou games... throw in Miami too if you want, but they are teh succ this year.

Wishboned
11/12/2007, 08:49 PM
I believe Barry is the kind of guy that if you don't want to hear his honest opinion then you'd better not ask him.

It's one of the things that made him such a great coaching personality.

Boomerboone1
11/12/2007, 09:16 PM
The lose to Colorado was and is inexcusable. If he was more removed from OU Football, then his opinion would probably be different. However, I can't imagine why he'd have tOSU in his top 10 much less top 5.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2007, 02:13 AM
He's saving his biased vote for the last poll!

SoonerKnight
11/13/2007, 03:00 AM
He is one of the greatest football coaches to walk the sidelines. He may see something we don't!

hyoctane23
11/13/2007, 12:49 PM
He's saving his biased vote for the last poll!
I have to say I agree with this. Last week, we did only beat Baylor (though by a lot mind you). I think after we beat TT this week, he will move us up because it is more of a quality win I'd say.:cool:

stoopified
11/13/2007, 01:33 PM
Barry is IMHO trying to be a professional analyst now and not a homer.I think he over does the objective thing on OU occassionally.I guarantee if it was HIS Sooner teams he would rank them higher.I do agree he has no respect for KU largely because of his dominance over the Jayhawks.I don't think Barry watches enough CFB to get a real hanfle on todays game.He has said repeatedly that his first prority is being a grandfather.He can flat out tell some stories though.

Animal Mother
11/13/2007, 02:01 PM
He's the freaking King. He can do as he pleases because:
"It's good to be the King."

bluedogok
11/13/2007, 11:43 PM
Switzer went 14-2 against KU, with the only losses being the 8 turnover debacle in 75 and the 5 turnover loss in the early 80s. He probably still remembers what pushovers they were.
1984 - 28-11 - Aikman's first game replacing an injured Danny Bradley.

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think Barry is that impressed with this team...so I have heard...

texas bandman
11/13/2007, 11:55 PM
I've got a great Switzer story.

It was either 1979 or 80. The Sooners were playing the Colorado Buffaloes at Owen Field. Chuck Fairbanks was the coach of the Buffs. We were putting a serious beating on the Buffs and the band was getting a little restless toward the end of the game. Well the Colorado band starts playing their Fight Song (the chorus to Battle Hymn of the Republic). Well certain members of the Pride start singing the Buff Fight Song only the following words:
Glory,Glory, Chucky Fairbanks,
You'll soon be 1-4!

As soon as we finished, Barry comes running up to the wall in front of the band screaming at the top of his lungs how we were "a bunch of low-class m***** f******." I actually thought he was gonna climb into the middle of the band. And we thought that coaches ignored what goes on in the stands!

It was quite a memorable experience!:D

sooner94
11/14/2007, 11:34 AM
To Barry's credit, he is being unbiased. Back when the AP polll used the matter, certain writers favored the teams that were in their city or conference.

And, you can't say that Barry doesn't know what he is talking about. The man knows football (unlike those AP voters).