PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming coach apologizes for gesture

ruf/nekdad
11/12/2007, 03:43 PM
:D

CASPER, Wyo. (AP) -- Wyoming coach Joe Glenn apologized Monday for making an obscene gesture to the Utah team after the Utes tried an onside kick while ahead by 43 points.

The Cowboys recovered the kick, but Glenn responded by giving the finger to Utah. Wyoming lost the game, 50-0.

"I met with my team on Sunday and apologized to them for the gesture I made toward the Utah bench during the game," Glenn said in a statement.

"I also want to apologize to all fans for that action. Football is an emotional game, and I let my emotions get the best of me," he said. "I felt it was appropriate for me to let my team and all fans know that I am truly sorry for that emotional moment."

Mountain West Conference officials planned to review videotape of the game. According to the conference handbook, obscene gestures or language are subject to at least a reprimand for a first offense.

After the loss Saturday, Glenn said he didn't remember the gesture.

He had publicly guaranteed a win over Utah (7-3, 4-2 Mountain West Conference). Late in the game, the crowd in Salt Lake City began chanting "guarantee."

"I got emotional last week and got my big Irish mouth going and made the guarantee," Glenn said. I'd probably like to have it back now. I wouldn't do it again. Find the crow, and I'll eat it."

Wyoming (5-5, 2-4) has lost four of its last five games. The Cowboys must upset conference-leading BYU on Saturday to earn a bowl bid.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_WYOMING_APOLOGY?SITE=OKTUL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-11-12-15-10-40

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/12/2007, 03:48 PM
I thought maybe he was doing the chopping wood signal...like Schiano. Then again since he was playing Utah maybe he should have given the shocker.

ruf/nekdad
11/12/2007, 03:53 PM
I would have mooned him, in addition to flipping him off.

SoonerStormchaser
11/12/2007, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't have even apoligized...what the Utah coach did was more classless.

yermom
11/12/2007, 04:09 PM
yeah, he should have done it again at the presser

;)

Stitch Face
11/12/2007, 04:13 PM
Dude publicly guaranteed a win? That was smart.

soonergirlNeugene
11/12/2007, 04:18 PM
ya this guy definitely sounds like the perfect candidate to replace Callahan :rolleyes:

Soonermagik
11/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Do not guarantee wins. If you win then you were supposed to ala your guarantee, but if you don't get ready for the media.

soonersn2007
11/12/2007, 06:16 PM
Going for a onside kick when up by 43 is worse than flipping the bird IMHO.

ruf/nekdad
11/12/2007, 06:36 PM
^^^^what he said.

Stitch Face
11/12/2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like both coaches are intelligent, classy types.

jrsooner
11/12/2007, 07:03 PM
Seems like it was "hurt" feelings all around... let's just say I wouldn't call the Utah team "classy".

Video Clip News On the "Gesture" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZx5i7LMKu0)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2007, 07:19 PM
Glenn and Javorskie Lane-Not good at guaranteed wins

Flying Scotsman
11/12/2007, 08:30 PM
The high altitude has probably stoned them both...

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 09:09 PM
:les: But that can't be true... no one flips off people except for those mean old Sooner fans who are the worstest fans in all of sports history!111!111!!!1 :stunned:

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2007, 11:16 PM
Now it's the Utah coach's turn to apologize. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/12/2007, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't have even apoligized...what the Utah coach did was more classless.

But somewhat understandable against the WY coaches "guarantee". My first impression of Utah - what classless a-holes...then reading further, I lost all sympathy for WY. One thing when a young player "guarantees" something, but the coach?

jrsooner
11/12/2007, 11:40 PM
But somewhat understandable against the WY coaches "guarantee". My first impression of Utah - what classless a-holes...then reading further, I lost all sympathy for WY. One thing when a young player "guarantees" something, but the coach?On the other hand.. isn't "guarantee" now a catch phrase for players and coaches? I've heard more "guarantees" over the past few years than I would like to hear. It's becoming more of the "oh wow, you know" of the football arena.

Ground_Attack
11/13/2007, 12:09 AM
guarantees mean absolutely nothing. They are what people say when their pride is wounded and they are looking for something to motivate. Kicking an onside when up by 43 pts deserves an ***-kicking. Flipped him off? I would have gone Chuck Norris on his ***.

http://www.airamerica.com/stateofbelief/files/stateofbelief/images/chuck-norris-002.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2007, 01:42 AM
Personally I'd have walked straight across the field and shoved the obcene gesture right up the other coach's ***. But that's why I'm not a coach...I don't have the patience for unsportsmanlike BS in games that matter less than the points on "whose Line is it Anyway?"

Big Red Ron
11/13/2007, 01:50 AM
Utah coach is the real jackass in that situation.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2007, 02:21 AM
Utah is a collective Jackass...I have to go there Thanksgiving and I'll be sure to let all the football fans hear what I think of every team in the state.

Leroy Lizard
11/13/2007, 02:46 AM
One thing when a young player "guarantees" something, but the coach?

If it isn't right for a coach to do, then I don't think players should be doing it either. They are adult representatives of the university too.

But I don't see a guarantee as being that derogative. Even if it was, two wrongs don't make a right.

CORNholio
11/13/2007, 05:39 AM
I would kick an onsides kick when up by 70. I also kick homeless people in the nuttz and steal outta the collection plate at church though too. Go Utah people!!

Texas Golfer
11/13/2007, 10:24 AM
I can understand Utah's reaction to Wyoming's guarantee...in the first half. But when you're up 43-0 in the second half, you don't rub salt in the wound by trying an onside kick. The Utah coach's anger was still prevalent well after the game. I found that to be more ridiculous than the guarantee itself.

I'm sure the Utah coach told his students and players at their pregame rally that they'd win. All coaches at pep rallies say that they're going to win.

I think the Utah coach overreacted to pregame talk. It should have sufficed to beating him badly without trying to humiliate his players.

cb4ou
11/13/2007, 01:25 PM
I actually live in Laramie and I know some of the coaches. The team is struggling and coach Glenn was looking to motivate his players.

He is really a good guy.

I think it was funny that the Utah coach stated they were not trying to run the score up.

StuMondo
11/13/2007, 02:06 PM
What Cowboy Joe did pushes him FURTHER into the lead for my number one coach I'm hopin gtakes over my Huskers.

We need some fire and someone who's got that 'eff-you' attitude.

frankensooner
11/13/2007, 03:44 PM
What Cowboy Joe did pushes him FURTHER into the lead for my number one coach I'm hopin gtakes over my Huskers.

We need some fire and someone who's got that 'eff-you' attitude.

Have you thought about Mike Gundy?

jr4ou
11/13/2007, 08:20 PM
Utah Utes............? Don't know bout that one.