PDA

View Full Version : I know we've got a lot of Ardmore people around here, so I'd just like to say...

TopDawg
11/12/2007, 02:53 PM
61-0

TopDawg
11/13/2007, 02:16 PM
So I guess the Ardmore people are ashamed to show their faces...and who can blame them?

Shawnee, you're next.

TopDawg
11/19/2007, 12:55 PM
61-34

Tulsa East Central, you're next.

Congrats to Shawnee on actually scoring against our first-string defense. You become only the second team this year to do so (Carl Albert being the other).

MiccoMacey
11/20/2007, 08:16 AM
61-34

Tulsa East Central, you're next.

Congrats to Shawnee on actually scoring against our first-string defense. You become only the second team this year to do so (Carl Albert being the other).
What sport are you talking about?

MiccoMacey
11/20/2007, 08:17 AM
Are you a Guthrian?

TopDawg
11/20/2007, 10:55 AM
What sport are you talking about?

The high school football playoffs. Usually it's a mildly hot topic around here but I guess not so much this year.

I just found out yesterday that Carl Albert got eliminated by Bixby. It's Guthrie v. Tulsa East Central and Bixby v. Lawton Mac.

Are you a Guthrian?

Yep. I was actually born in Ardmore and raised in Guthrie, so you can imagine my dilemma in the first round. ;)

MiccoMacey
11/20/2007, 03:20 PM
Guthrie is outrageous this year. Not sure why they aren't getting more press than Jenks or Union. They are clearly the best team in the state regardless of classificiation.

My District Chief's son was the QB for Bixby in the beginning of the year. He's a huge Spartan fan, and he always knocks me for being a Wolf.

TopDawg
11/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Guthrie is outrageous this year. Not sure why they aren't getting more press than Jenks or Union. They are clearly the best team in the state regardless of classificiation.

Back toward the beginning of the year, my old CC coach told me I had to come watch this team sometime this year. I caught their game against Carl Albert on TV and was pretty impressed, but after seeing them in person against Ardmore, I was in awe.

They have so much team speed. Their defensive pursuit is amazing and they have playmakers all over the field. Carl Albert did a good job of shutting down Staley (offensively, he still made quite a few plays defensively) but Guthrie was still able to move the ball effectively with their other playmakers.

My CC coach said the same as you...that they might be the best in the state regardless of class. Conventional thinking makes that hard for me to believe since Union and Jenks are always such powerhouses, but after having seen them in person, they might not be picked to win a game against either of those teams, but I think they could.

My District Chief's son was the QB for Bixby in the beginning of the year. He's a huge Spartan fan, and he always knocks me for being a Wolf.

What do you think of Bixby's chances this weekend?

TopDawg
11/24/2007, 11:35 AM
Guthrie 45
Tulsa East Central 14

TopDawg
11/26/2007, 10:14 AM
Guthrie v. Bixby for the Gold Ball.
Friday, 7:30, Owen Field

Please tell me Guthrie is the home team. I don't know if I can take an entire game of those Bixby home unis.

MiccoMacey
11/26/2007, 10:57 PM
I don't think Bixby can handle Guthrie. I'm rooting for Bixby since I live up here and he controls which station I get to go to. :D

But I'd like to see a "Grand State" like they used to have for wrestling...each champion from each classification wrestled to see whom was the best in Oklahoma.

If they did this in football, I'd take Guthrie over Jenks. Maybe not Union. But it'd be close.

TopDawg
11/30/2007, 10:15 AM
Oops. Whichever local news station I was watching last week led me to believe that it was Bixby in the ugly green and gold unis, but it was actually Lawton Mac.

With that said, I don't care who is home and away...as long as Guthrie wins. :D

Good luck to Bixby and all the other teams playing this weekend.

MiccoMacey
11/30/2007, 10:51 AM
Are you going to the game?

TopDawg
11/30/2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I'll be there. You?

But I'd like to see a "Grand State" like they used to have for wrestling...each champion from each classification wrestled to see whom was the best in Oklahoma..

I didn't know they did that in wrestling. I think it'd be cool for them to do that every year in football too.

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2007, 12:04 PM
I'm going to try and go watch Clinton and Kingfisher tomorrow . . .

TopDawg
11/30/2007, 12:11 PM

As a neutral fan, or do you have loyalties?

TopDawg
11/30/2007, 11:07 PM
Great job by Bixby. That was a fun game. Guthrie wins 16-3.

After Bixby's first offensive possession, I turned to my wife and said "Bixby's probably got a good defense. I don't think this will be one of our high scoring games."

Why? Well, you've gotta have a good defense to make it to the state championship game. But the kicker was that on their first drive Bixby faced 3rd and (at least) 7. They come out in a two TE set with 3 RBs lined up in the I-formation. I thought "This looks like a team that puts the game in the hands of their defense."

That defense did a really good job. But Guthrie's defense dominated. It felt like Bixby only had one or two plays of more than 7 yards heading into the late stages of the game when Guthrie went into a prevent-style defense.

Paperclip
11/30/2007, 11:25 PM

Me too. I have no preference. Just thought it would be a good game to see.

TopDawg
12/13/2007, 06:30 PM
Didn't Kingfisher end up winning that game? I know Clinton's usually the big bully, so was that an upset or was Kingfisher expected to have a good chance?

bluedogok
12/16/2007, 09:59 PM
Meh, PC West STILL sucks.....they haven't won anything much since my senior year. It was good to see an OKC area team win, congrats Guthrie.

Down here, Liberty Hill won the 3A-Division 1 Championship against Gilmer. Pflugerville (which is the helmet/uniform that the TV series Friday Night Lights Dillon Panthers uses) plays Katy for the 5A-Division 2 championship and Lake Travis play Highland Park for the 4A-Division championship this week. So it has been a good year for the Central Texas team.