PDA

View Full Version : big 12 champ game RV parking expert havers

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 10:47 AM
Was planning on taking the RV to the champ game but i saw on the alamodome site
http://www.alamodome.com/parking.htm

"Parking Lots B and C gates open two hours before event doors open.

No tailgating or overnight RV/Bus parking."

i called the Alamodome friday and couldn't get a straight answer from the lady that answered the phone

my plan was to bring the RV to Sa late Friday afternoon, and stay till Sunday. does anyone know if they are going to allow overnight Rving at the Dome and have they allowed this in the past?

any help would be appreciated as i have nevar been to a college game at the alamodome.

Soonerus
11/12/2007, 11:43 AM
Please post any information you have as I was planning to do the same thing...Arrowhead does not allow overnight parking, you just have to find a play close by...

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 11:45 AM
I called the Alamodome again this morning, but today is a city holiday, so i could not speak to someone other than 'dome security'

Newbomb Turk
11/12/2007, 11:46 AM
just park at sas's place - ala Cousin Eddie.

Soonerus
11/12/2007, 11:49 AM
just park at sas's place - ala Cousin Eddie.

SAS's place...GREAT idea !!!

JohnnyMack
11/12/2007, 11:50 AM
I didn't know we had qualified for the Big XII Title Game.

Guess ya learn somethin' new everyday.

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 11:58 AM
I didn't know we had qualified for the Big XII Title Game.

Guess ya learn somethin' new everyday.

you have to qualify in order to attend the festivities?

did i miss a new league rule somewhere?

the plan is actually to meet up with other friends we have made over the years from other big 12 schools. the game is simply a bonus if OU plays in it.

JohnnyMack
11/12/2007, 12:09 PM
Lighten up Francis.

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2007, 01:01 PM
no tailgating?

SoonerRecon
11/12/2007, 01:15 PM
I emailed them today, less than hopeful about the response I'll get. They don't have the resources for tailgating, and it will cut into their profit margin. The weather will be great, but they have no idea how to accomodate a game like this. Hopefully we'll be at Jerry World in the years to come.

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 08:02 PM
I emailed them today, less than hopeful about the response I'll get. They don't have the resources for tailgating, and it will cut into their profit margin. The weather will be great, but they have no idea how to accomodate a game like this. Hopefully we'll be at Jerry World in the years to come.

i will call the Alamodome Tuesday, and if I get the same non committal answers, I may as well give a call to the big 12 and see what they might say.

i can only hope that the website is mainly a generic response for non college events as even the whole 'parking lot not opening till two hours before the event' will be a logistical nightmare depending on how much the security check might be at the gate.

I remember at the Sugar Bowl, the 'RV lot' was actually a private lot just a few blocks from the Dome, and the Sugar bowl people directed you there when you inquired about it. hopefully, if the Alamodome doesn't allow it, there will be another lot close by that will.

film at 11

Soonerus
11/12/2007, 09:23 PM
Keep us posted...Thanks...

Newbomb Turk
11/12/2007, 09:32 PM
Keep us posted...Thanks...
will do....

colinreturn
11/12/2007, 09:38 PM
i went down there for cowboys camp. parking is a joke. ab&c were all full and it was just a training camp crowd. (like 30% full)

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2007, 10:07 AM
called the Alamodome this morning, and was transfered to 'Alamodome parking' and some guy named 'Frank'. got his voice mail, but left a message for him to contact me.

dome contact info can be found here (just a fyi)
http://www.alamodome.com/

film at 11.

Speer
11/13/2007, 10:22 AM
I haven't been their in a few years but tailgating @ the Alamodome is iffy at
best. You might find (be) some die-hard folks that make it work but parking is limited
and the dome's proximity to downtown hotels and the riverwalk really put the hurt on tailgating.

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2007, 12:54 PM
Well 'frank' and I are playing telephone tag, but from his message it doesn't look good. he referred me to a KOA (have no idea how close it is, i am guessing it is not.

going to try to speak with him directly this afternoon, about just when the lots will be open for a night game (for tailgating and such)

film at 11

JohnnyMack
11/13/2007, 01:30 PM
Threaten to throat punch him if things don't go your way.

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2007, 01:33 PM
So do most people just walk from the riverwalk area?

soonernation
11/13/2007, 01:39 PM
I called this place and it's about 3.5 miles from the Alamo Dome. I've never stayed there but it looks OK.

http://www.campingfriend.com/TravelersWorldRVResort/

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2007, 01:54 PM
I called this place and it's about 3.5 miles from the Alamo Dome. I've never stayed there but it looks OK.

thanks,
if we bring the RV thats probably where we will park it.

but for the 'inconvenience' it may make more sense to simply get a hotel on the river walk or in downtown.

i did speak to 'Frank' at Alamodome parking and he would neither confirm nor deny that the Alamodome lots would open more then 2 hours before kickoff for tailgating purposes. seems that the Dome really doesn't understand college sports and the pre game events that go with it (or at least this guy didn't)

anyone know how to contact the Big 12 directly and inquire about such things? my first question is if the lots do not indeed open until two hours before the event, just how do they expect everyone to get through gate security and such. looks like a logistical nightmare to me.

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2007, 02:24 PM

under the circumstance, i went ahead a reserved a space there.

35 bucks a night as well worth it even if we don't stay there Saturday and find RV parking near the Dome.

thanks again for the heads up

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 02:42 PM
I'd offer some help if I had any to offer. I don't know jack about RVs or related issues.

Park in front of my house and I'll let the air out of your tires while you're sleeping.

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2007, 02:57 PM
I'd offer some help if I had any to offer. I don't know jack about RVs or related issues.

Park in front of my house and I'll let the air out of your tires while you're sleeping.

i heard your neighborhood is not all that great anyway, so i wouldn't worry about my RV ;)

Now RUS on the other hand.........:pop:

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 02:58 PM
Anywhere Rus goes there is a pointy dome nearby.

SOONERnTx
11/13/2007, 03:03 PM
Just curious....How is the regular parking there? anyone have suggestions on good places to park? plan on being there plenty early!

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 03:08 PM
Park at the River Center Mall and ride a trolley.

I've never done this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Might check out routes on the internet to make sure they make it over there.

yep
Trolley Routes

* The Blue Route travels from downtown to the southern areas of the city. Its stops include the Alamo, Blue Star Arts Complex, Central Library, Henry B. Gonzales convention center, HemisFair Park, the King William Historic District, La Villita, Municipal Auditorium, Rivercenter Mall, the San Antonio Information Center, and Southtown.
* The Yellow Route stops at the Alamodome, Ellis Alley Park and Ride at St. Paul Square (for free parking for VIA customers), convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, Institute of Texan Cultures, Rivercenter Mall, St. Paul Square, Sunset Station, and Tower of the Americas.
* The Red Line stops include the Alamo, the convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, HemisFair Park, La Villita, the Rivercenter Mall, and the San Antonio Information Center.
* The Purple Route includes the Alamodome, the convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, HemisFair Park, the Institute of Texan Cultures, La Villita, Rivercenter Mall, and Tower of the Americas.

C&CDean
11/13/2007, 03:12 PM
Park at the River Center Mall and ride a trolley.

I've never done this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Might check out routes on the internet to make sure they make it over there.

yep
Trolley Routes

* The Blue Route travels from downtown to the southern areas of the city. Its stops include the Alamo, Blue Star Arts Complex, Central Library, Henry B. Gonzales convention center, HemisFair Park, the King William Historic District, La Villita, Municipal Auditorium, Rivercenter Mall, the San Antonio Information Center, and Southtown.
* The Yellow Route stops at the Alamodome, Ellis Alley Park and Ride at St. Paul Square (for free parking for VIA customers), convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, Institute of Texan Cultures, Rivercenter Mall, St. Paul Square, Sunset Station, and Tower of the Americas.
* The Red Line stops include the Alamo, the convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, HemisFair Park, La Villita, the Rivercenter Mall, and the San Antonio Information Center.
* The Purple Route includes the Alamodome, the convention center, El Mercado-Market Square, HemisFair Park, the Institute of Texan Cultures, La Villita, Rivercenter Mall, and Tower of the Americas.

Yeah, but will they carry our hillbilly butts back after the game?

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 03:14 PM
It's not THAT far to walk you sissy.

For Spurs games they have about 4 park and ride locations available for each game.

You would think they'd do the same for the bowl game, or championship game, but I don't know for certain.

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all of the good information...

SoonerRecon
11/13/2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but will they carry our hillbilly butts back after the game?

absolutely not. watch yourselves when walking around that area late at night, getting mugged is common place.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 07:16 PM
:rolleyes: according to who?

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 10:12 PM
That is something I was hoping SAS or a local could answer, what is the area around the Alamo Dome like, safe or not ???

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 10:17 PM
That is something I was hoping SAS or a local could answer, what is the area around the Alamo Dome like, safe or not ???
I think there will be so many people in the area after the game that I wouldn't expect that kind of trouble.

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2007, 10:18 PM
you would think muggings would be low with 50,000+ walking together...

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 10:19 PM
I think there will be so many people in the area after the game that I wouldn't expect that kind of trouble.

Yes, but what about the day before and the day after ???

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure why you would want to hang out there when nothing is happening there. Sunset Station is near by and will be busy and you'll have the Riverwalk area and the Mexican Market to check out.

During the day you shouldn't have any problems if you don't wander down some hidden alley or something.

bluedogok
11/13/2007, 11:05 PM
Please post any information you have as I was planning to do the same thing...Arrowhead does not allow overnight parking, you just have to find a play close by...
When we were up there for the OU-KU/Chiefs-Skins weekend they had an overnight RV area I think south of the main parking lots. They were advertising it quite a bit on the Chiefs pre/post-game on the radio so maybe it was something new.

i did speak to 'Frank' at Alamodome parking and he would neither confirm nor deny that the Alamodome lots would open more then 2 hours before kickoff for tailgating purposes. seems that the Dome really doesn't understand college sports and the pre game events that go with it (or at least this guy didn't)

anyone know how to contact the Big 12 directly and inquire about such things? my first question is if the lots do not indeed open until two hours before the event, just how do they expect everyone to get through gate security and such. looks like a logistical nightmare to me.
I think it said the lots open two hours before the doors open for the event, not two hours before the event...whatever that means.

All they have there are high school and the Alamo Bowl games, so I don't think they really understand a football event much at all even after hosting a few Saints games last year.

Soonerus
11/13/2007, 11:11 PM
I have been to a Big XII Championship game at Arrowhead where they run you out a bit after the game...no overnights for sure, at least when I was there...We had to go to a hotel parking lot close by for the remainder of the night...

olevetonahill
11/13/2007, 11:19 PM
absolutely not. watch yourselves when walking around that area late at night, getting mugged is common place.
nOOB can you even imagine Dean or any of us getin Mugged ?
I dont see it happenin :D

SoonerRecon
11/14/2007, 01:08 PM
nOOB can you even imagine Dean or any of us getin Mugged ?
I dont see it happenin :D

i guess i am a nOOB compared to your stats, makes me feel good, like when i get carded for beer.

there are some side streets that can get sleazy at nite, some of the vatos are looking to take advantage of the tourists. i'm sure you're a big tough guy, but you can't fight bullets.

GO AZ!