PDA

View Full Version : Kansas throws away home field advantage vs Mizzou

oupride
11/12/2007, 10:01 AM
The Kansas AD struck this deal prior to football season. You think it will come back and bite him? Do you think he gave away too much? By losing home field adv will Kansas be able to overcome a crowd that should favor Mizzou? Discuss. http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01/22/mizzoukansas_to_play_at_arrowhead_in_2007_and_2008/

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2007, 10:04 AM
This is the same Kansas team that gave up over 400+ yards to Nebraska. I bet they REALLY wish that game was in Lawrence.

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 10:08 AM
MU, ranked in the top 10 in the BCS had a T Boone Stadium like attendance verses A&M last Saturday. If the Misery fans won't go to home games in Columbia, chances are not that many of them will drive to K.C.

sooneron
11/12/2007, 10:08 AM
I'd be willing to bet that there are just as many KU fans in KC as Misery fans. Lawrence is closer, and there are a lot of KU grads in the Overland Park area. Or so I'm told.

yermom
11/12/2007, 10:11 AM
This is the same Kansas team that gave up over 400+ yards to Nebraska. I bet they REALLY wish that game was in Lawrence.

i'll forgive 400 yards when they score in the 70's :D

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, not a measly 51. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/12/2007, 10:16 AM
I'd be willing to bet that there are just as many KU fans in KC as Misery fans. Lawrence is closer, and there are a lot of KU grads in the Overland Park area. Or so I'm told.This looks right to me. It's still almost a home game for KU, with Lawrence only 30 miles away from KC.

SoonerJack
11/12/2007, 10:20 AM
I live in the KC metro area and believe me, this will be almost like OU Texas in terms of equal attendance. Did KU give away a home game/home field advantage? Maybe so. But I think the visibility/hype etc. is going to gain them more than what they would have had by just playing in Lawrence.

And I know we're supposed to root for a KU win vs Missouri, but I just would not be able to stomach those lousy Jayhawks being successful in basketball AND football.

tfoolry
11/12/2007, 10:22 AM
KC = KU
St. Louis = Mizzou
J-Hawks will definitely have a home crowd

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/12/2007, 10:24 AM
I live in the KC metro area and believe me, this will be almost like OU Texas in terms of equal attendance. Did KU give away a home game/home field advantage? Maybe so. But I think the visibility/hype etc. is going to gain them more than what they would have had by just playing in Lawrence.

And I know we're supposed to root for a KU win vs Missouri, but I just would not be able to stomach those lousy Jayhawks being successful in basketball AND football.Hey, they're ALREADY successful in football, now. OU benefits in the BCS if KU beats UM, and then we beat KU in SA.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/12/2007, 10:31 AM
KC = KU
St. Louis = Mizzou
J-Hawks will definitely have a home crowd

It won't be like if the game were in Lawrence but KU will have probably 55-60%.

I also expect both teams to score a lot of points.

sooneron
11/12/2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I think KU has the edge by around 5-10% in this one.

tommieharris91
11/12/2007, 11:40 AM
The entire Big 12 benefits if KU gets to the CCG undefeated. If they do, the loser of the CCG should earn a BCS berth, and the winner should get to go to the NC game.

The deal would probably be better if MU returned the favor and moved the game either last year or next year to Arrowhead as well. But, since KC is only 30mi from Lawrence, it isn't that bad. It would be like if OU had to play a football game in a big stadium in OKC.

SoonerAcesUp
11/12/2007, 11:42 AM
I bet the AD had no idea this game would have anywhere near the implications that it will have now. Probably thought it would be fun to have the rivalry game in a setting like OU-Texas. Should be a great game to watch!

SOONER STEAKER
11/12/2007, 11:45 AM
Do you think the OU/TX game has a great atmoshpere? PLaying in KC will be just like that without the fair. It'sll be a CIVIL WAR of drunks in the parking lot and a BIG 12 NORTH showdown inside.

It's like home field advantage for both teams.

BillyBall
11/12/2007, 12:02 PM
They did the same thing with us in 2005, it was dumb then and it is even dumber now.

swardboy
11/12/2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I think KU has the edge by around 5-10% in this one.

So prolly about 60/50 KU?

:D

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2007, 04:51 PM
KU will have just as many if not more fans than Missouri at Arrowhead. I think KU is gonna win this game.

Having to play ISU at home and Missouri playing KSU on the road might be a small advantage to KU leading up to the game as well.

jeepdad
11/12/2007, 05:27 PM
KU will have just as many if not more fans than Missouri at Arrowhead. I think KU is gonna win this game.

Having to play ISU at home and Missouri playing KSU on the road might be a small advantage to KU leading up to the game as well.

Here's a map of Arrowhead (pdf file) showing the breakdown. Blue is KU, gold is Mizzou. Red is Chiefs season ticket holders. KU got 10,000 more tickets that MU since it's their home game. Both schools sold out of their allotments weeks ago. Really don't know who the Chief's fans will come out supporting. Still, both schools will have a large fanbase present.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/miss/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/arrowhead-seating-map.pdf

BTW, Mizzou had a near sell-out of 65,000 show up vs. aTm last weekend. I think we were pretty pleased with that.

MichiganSooner
11/12/2007, 06:03 PM
Don't think it will really matter. They are just 30 miles away from home stadium; most of the fans who go to KU games probably live in metro area anyway so they appreciate it. Of course, they do not get their normal seat location. It should be a great game. When does it start? Any tickets available?

OKLA21FAN
11/12/2007, 06:16 PM
BTW, Mizzou had a near sell-out of 65,000 show up vs. aTm last weekend. I think we were pretty pleased with that.
e

heh! 'near sellout' and a top ten ranking. that is most definitely 'T Boone' like

how can a team be ranked in the top ten and 'nearly' sellout? they should be turning fans away considering the last time MU had this high a ranking.

next time you neg me, go ahead and sign it. :pop:

bluedogok
11/13/2007, 11:51 PM
They did the same thing with us in 2005, it was dumb then and it is even dumber now.
I rather enjoyed it and the Chiefs-Skins game the next day. The crowd that was at the game could not have fit in Lawrence. KC is KU territory, most people that I have known from KC went to KU, StL was Missouri people.