PDA

View Full Version : Whatdya think the game plan is this week?

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 01:34 AM
Aside from the obvious 'win,' of course...

Offensively:
I know you like your three running backs to stay fresh, but I think K-Dub goes with a 1-2 Patrick, Murray punch this week because of CB's hand injury. It's not a bad injury, but AP and DM will both be able to catch passes easier and when they're playing a lot of consecutive snaps is usually when they do better.

If you're going with AP, give him the rock 20 or more times in order to see him 'do something,' because he's not a homerun guy, he's a bull who wears the D-Lines down and studies as he goes.

When you use DM, obviously find ways to get him out in space. It can be a misdirection on one of those direct-snaps, and end-around or reverse, maybe an option, maybe throw it to him. My gut feeling says Demarco Murray is the hero of this week's game because of his explosiveness at all the right times.

Sam Bradford will go back to the near lateral-type of passing attack early to open things up, but don't expect passing plays deep unless Malcom Kelly and Co. are routinely beating the Tech defensive backs in foot races. Be confident that your guys won't get chased down and caught up to like Iowa State did. One or two tight end surprises are to be expected in between 15-30 yards a whop if Tech continues to cheat-up on the LOS.

Possession football, keep it simple... but don't crawl too far into a shell of conservative playcalling. IOW, don't go running anymore than two gadget plays and just focus on what's won us 9 games so far.

Defense is going to rattle the cages of angry Sooner fans, and rightfully so.
Why? Texas Tech will more than likely never be out of this game unless we have a stunningly great road performance. I'm not a fan of playing prevent defense against the likes of anybody on OUr home field, and certainly not when we're trying to eek out a win... but if it makes Texas Tech flat-out earn every inch they get and burn a lot of clock doing so... we'll start out with probably a cover-2 on Crabtree until we can establish if we can contain him 1-on-1 or not.
Look for frustrating 3-man rushes where a QB-keeper can gain a first down alone.

If the game goes well, we could win this as convincingly as we did against Tulsa. Why? I feel Tulsa has a much better, more mobile QB and while we didn't stop him, we contained him long enough for the offense to pull away.

Game hinges on the offense for Oklahoma. That's all there is to it.

If Sammy B. gets 250 yards or more and we keep the turnovers under two, the running game is enough to get away comfortably. If we have an INT, fumbles, drops and 3-and-outs routinely.. the 'prevent D' will again be the death of us.

goingoneight's prediction:
On a great day: OU 55 TT 17
On a good day: OU 45 TT 24
On a bad day: OU 24 TT 21
On a horrific day: TT 35 OU 28 (with final score in garbage time... don't do this to me, Sooners :))

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2007, 02:30 AM
score at least one more point than tech, that should suffice

SoonerKnight
11/12/2007, 02:43 AM
score at least one more point than tech, that should suffice

That's what I was thinking!!! Oh and run the ball but be careful Murray can score quick and that's nice but we want to run the clock out you know how tech can score pretty quick! :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2007, 03:04 AM
We need style points...1 point win is good, but 40 point win would be way better.

Collier11
11/12/2007, 03:13 AM
We seem to always play well against Tech's version of the spread offense, we are easily better than them but we have to get a pass rush and not fumble.

OU-42
tt-24

stoopified
11/12/2007, 10:34 AM
Personally I don't think you will see as much soft zone,three and four man pass rush as we used vs.Baylor.Maybe I give the coaches too much credit BUT I think they ran vanilloa D at Bears so TT would not have anything to look at and give them a false sense of securityHaving said that we can't have the busts and poor tackling we had against BU.OU has answered EVERY time since the CU self-inflicted loss and I expect them to vs.TT.

On offense all we have to do is execute,because the Red Raiers have no D(get it?Raiers-no D). :D

Widescreen
11/12/2007, 10:37 AM
On offense all we have to do is execute,because the Red Raiers have no D(get it?Raiers-no D). :D
If they really have no D, shouldn't that be Re Raiers?

sooneron
11/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Personally I don't think you will see as much soft zone,three and four man pass rush as we used vs.Baylor.Maybe I give the coaches too much credit BUT I think they ran vanilloa D at Bears so TT would not have anything to look at and give them a false sense of security
I hope this is true, but we have given up ydg to Mizz and Tu, also. I don't think this D is good enough to hide much. McCoy had over 300 yards against us.

Mark_of_Tulsa
11/12/2007, 11:07 AM
I was kinda fawned of butt pirates as their name.

OUmillenium
11/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Aside from the obvious 'win,' of course...

Offensively:
I know you like your three running backs to stay fresh, but I think K-Dub goes with a 1-2 Patrick, Murray punch this week because of CB's hand injury. It's not a bad injury, but AP and DM will both be able to catch passes easier and when they're playing a lot of consecutive snaps is usually when they do better.

If you're going with AP, give him the rock 20 or more times in order to see him 'do something,' because he's not a homerun guy, he's a bull who wears the D-Lines down and studies as he goes.

When you use DM, obviously find ways to get him out in space. It can be a misdirection on one of those direct-snaps, and end-around or reverse, maybe an option, maybe throw it to him. My gut feeling says Demarco Murray is the hero of this week's game because of his explosiveness at all the right times.

Sam Bradford will go back to the near lateral-type of passing attack early to open things up, but don't expect passing plays deep unless Malcom Kelly and Co. are routinely beating the Tech defensive backs in foot races. Be confident that your guys won't get chased down and caught up to like Iowa State did. One or two tight end surprises are to be expected in between 15-30 yards a whop if Tech continues to cheat-up on the LOS.

Possession football, keep it simple... but don't crawl too far into a shell of conservative playcalling. IOW, don't go running anymore than two gadget plays and just focus on what's won us 9 games so far.

Defense is going to rattle the cages of angry Sooner fans, and rightfully so.
Why? Texas Tech will more than likely never be out of this game unless we have a stunningly great road performance. I'm not a fan of playing prevent defense against the likes of anybody on OUr home field, and certainly not when we're trying to eek out a win... but if it makes Texas Tech flat-out earn every inch they get and burn a lot of clock doing so... we'll start out with probably a cover-2 on Crabtree until we can establish if we can contain him 1-on-1 or not.
Look for frustrating 3-man rushes where a QB-keeper can gain a first down alone.

If the game goes well, we could win this as convincingly as we did against Tulsa. Why? I feel Tulsa has a much better, more mobile QB and while we didn't stop him, we contained him long enough for the offense to pull away.

Game hinges on the offense for Oklahoma. That's all there is to it.

If Sammy B. gets 250 yards or more and we keep the turnovers under two, the running game is enough to get away comfortably. If we have an INT, fumbles, drops and 3-and-outs routinely.. the 'prevent D' will again be the death of us.

goingoneight's prediction:
On a great day: OU 55 TT 17
On a good day: OU 45 TT 24
On a bad day: OU 24 TT 21
On a horrific day: TT 35 OU 28 (with final score in garbage time... don't do this to me, Sooners :))

Don't know if I have ever disagreed with anything you have posted. Thanks to your hard work, I can do more lurking and less posting.

If you want, you can add "and OUmillenium agrees" to all of your posts!:)

soonermeteor
11/12/2007, 02:45 PM
Show up. I don't know where Oklahoma went for road games this year, because the Oklahoma I know didn't show up to Colorado or Iowa State.

Key: Jump out big early. The final score may not be staggering, something like the Missouri score, but we cannot let them in this game.

Defense?: Blitz! We need to scare Graham. If he is about to get run over we should have less worries about seeing long bombs, or those bombs will be off and go to sooners. :D

Offense: Show up. Tech's defense is pretty terrible, so a decent showing by the offense should be expected.

What may go wrong: I have had a nightmare already after seeing our secondary get burned by Baylor. TD's could pile up against us and our BCS dream could go up in smoke. We need to make our tackles and I can't believe I'm saying this, but PREVENT! If we keep tech going slow, we can outscore them.

Prediction: Its a little nerve racking, but we pull it out in the end. 51-35. However, if we show up playing for the polsters, a blow out could be possible.

Soonermagik
11/12/2007, 02:53 PM
This game really hinges on our secondary. Our secondary will be tested early and often during the game. We must disguise our coverages and get pressure. I would like to think if we get a few picks they will go into conservative mode, but I doubt Leach would.

We need both offense and defense to play well. I say we lose if our offense sputters like we did against Iowa State. However, if we bring the offense from that Miami game we will smash them.

PREDICTION:

I think a lot is at stake and no one is looking down on Tech, so I say we win 42 to 27.

texas bandman
11/12/2007, 03:19 PM
I certainly hope the Sooners blow out Tech. My boys (age 8 & 10) are going to their first OU game. I want it to be a memorable experience. Let's make Leach whine!

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 03:27 PM
I think we have to put pressure on the QB. Given time he'll find receivers running around back there, and they put like eleventy-billion into every route. We can't cover all of them forever, but we can cover them for the 2 to 3 seconds in which OUr guys should be getting to Harell in.

Offensively: run the ball to control possession, then when they gang up on the run take OUr shots downfield.

ruf/nekdad
11/12/2007, 06:47 PM

But with a strong O, would they be the Rio Raioers?

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 08:38 PM
I think the problem with blitzing is Leach's style of spread offense is so quick you have to be TRRW fast to get ahold of their QB. The thing I liked about Mangino and Leach's offenses were that they were quick reads and you didn't have to have a stellar OL to operate it. Graham Harrell's strength has been short and intermediate passes, whereas Cody Hodges (last one I remember of the fifth-year seniors) and his old buddies were more pro-style and deep-ball guys.

Crabtree and Amendola need OUr utmost attention. They are the "Malcom Kellys" of Taco Tech. IOW, they're the guys who rarely drop passes and are probably the fastest route-runners.

goingoneight
11/13/2007, 12:13 AM
How about we try this?

:confused: ........ :confused: ........ :confused: ........ :confused:

..... :confused: ........ :confused: ........ :confused: .....

:confused: ........ :confused: ........ :confused: ........ :confused:

-------------------------------

:D :bsmf: http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/6.gif http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/6.gif http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/6.gif http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/6.gif http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/6.gif :D
.................................... :eek:
http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/9.gif......http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/13.gif

Breadburner
11/13/2007, 12:30 AM
I hear the defense is getting a real work-out this week....The only one that doesn't have anything to worry about from the Baylor game is English.....

Salt City Sooner
11/13/2007, 01:58 AM
Show up. I don't know where Oklahoma went for road games this year, because the Oklahoma I know didn't show up to Colorado or Iowa State.

Key: Jump out big early. The final score may not be staggering, something like the Missouri score, but we cannot let them in this game.

Defense?: Blitz! We need to scare Graham. If he is about to get run over we should have less worries about seeing long bombs, or those bombs will be off and go to sooners. :D

Offense: Show up. Tech's defense is pretty terrible, so a decent showing by the offense should be expected.

What may go wrong: I have had a nightmare already after seeing our secondary get burned by Baylor. TD's could pile up against us and our BCS dream could go up in smoke. We need to make our tackles and I can't believe I'm saying this, but PREVENT! If we keep tech going slow, we can outscore them.

Prediction: Its a little nerve racking, but we pull it out in the end. 51-35. However, if we show up playing for the polsters, a blow out could be possible.
I'd love to see this as I agree that it's key, but I'll be surprised to see it. Since the Utah St. game, the game vs. Mizzou is the only game in which OU has scored on either of their first 2 drives, unless you want to count the TD we scored as a continuation of the 2nd drive after A&M fumbled that punt (by the rules it is, but common sense would dictate that it was OU's 3rd drive).

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2007, 02:20 AM
Bah...We'll blow 'em out, though the first quarter will be touchdown trading. We'll power it down their throats from the first play then kick *** on the play action. Then the Demarco fun will start and we'll show a LOT of new things to confuse that defense even more than they are naturally.

Collier11
11/13/2007, 12:47 PM
For all of us(including myself) that were a little mystified by our Defensive performance last week, there was a discussion with BV about if it helps to play the same offense two weeks in a row. BV replied "it works the other way too...they get to see how you defend them and can use that against you."

Does anyone think that they held back some knowing that they might give up some points but wouldnt have a problem winning. We saw very little blitzing, on a couple of their td's it was busted plays obviously but I found this a little interesting.

Dan Thompson
11/13/2007, 01:17 PM
I hope we can hold up the routes of TTs WR long enough for the blitz to work.