PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone remember when a

Dan Thompson
11/12/2007, 12:56 AM
confernece had 3 teams in the top 3 at any time, BCS or before?

If you remember who where they and when has it happened?

Blues1
11/12/2007, 01:02 AM
Colorado - Nebraska - Oklahoma --- Year -- 70's Something...??

snp
11/12/2007, 01:13 AM
1971 final AP Poll:

1. Nebraska
2. oklahoma
3. Colorado

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2007, 02:20 AM
What was amazing is that Colorado got beat badly both OU and Nebraska, but both Big Reds blew out so many teams that Colorado was the only one left standing.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2007, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't be all that surprised to see 3 in the top 5 in the final rankings either.

And that OU, NU, CU thing is one of the most amazing conference performances ever. I wish I'd have been older than 2! But I bet I did see all the games that were on TV...My entire family bleeds Crimson and trained me from birth.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/12/2007, 03:12 AM
I think at one point in 1990, the top three teams in college basketball all came from the Big Eight. OU was No. 1, Kansas was No. 2 and Missouri was No. 3. The funny thing about that, at the time, the Sooners were No. 1 in the nation but not No. 1 in their own conference. KU was leading the conference at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

jthomasou78
11/12/2007, 07:20 AM
Werent Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State in the top 3 last year from the big 10. I know that Wisconsin wnded up 3rd in the BCS and out of a BCS bowl because of the no 3 teams from one conference rule.

AlbqSooner
11/12/2007, 09:19 AM
What was amazing is that Colorado got beat badly both OU and Nebraska, but both Big Reds blew out so many teams that Colorado was the only one left standing.
I believe Nebraska beat OU by 4 points and beat Colorado by 7. I also believe OU beat Colorado by 3.

badger
11/12/2007, 09:32 AM
Recent years:
2003- OU and Texas rank in top 5, KSU beats OU to bring them down to #2 instead of unquestioned #1... I think KSU was either top 5 or top 10
2001- Nebraska is #2... Texas is driving to go to the title game, but comes up short against Colorado, who is then in the top 5... so texas was either top 5 or top 10.

I just remember those instances because Texas was sent the dreaded Pacific Life Holiday Bowl both years instead of teh aw3som3z BCS games, because conferences need to send their champion and the other highest ranked team instead.

Texas had the curse of being not good enough, it appears :D

Oh, and last year, another conference had this same curse of having three BCS teams, but that rule kept the third out - none other than the overrated Big 10. I remember this because I felt bad for my homestate of Wis-cahn-sin.

1. Ohio State
2. Meat Chicken (or Florida, depending on which poll you look at)
3. Florida (or Wisconsin, et al)
4. Definitely Wisconsin by now.

Basically, U-Dub lays one egg per year. The annual egg was against Michigan, and thus, their only loss was to the M. Hail Victors!

tOSU beats Michigan, giving them their only loss. Thus...
OSU>UM>UW.

Some people thought they were the top three teams... well, at least Wisconsin won their bowl game :D

stoopified
I believe Nebraska beat OU by 4 points and beat Colorado by 7. I also believe OU beat Colorado by 3.
Lizard is right.The OU-CU score was 45-17.I'm stll looking up the '71 OU-CU score.

Lott's Bandana

I was 11 years old and absolutely believed Bob Devaney and Eddie Crowder were evil incarnate, given the things my Dad and other adult Sooners fans had said about them...

Come to find out later that Eddie is one of the all-time Sooners greats from Bud's teams.

Situational Evil?

stoopified
11/12/2007, 09:34 AM
The Huskers beat CU 31-7.

Leroy Lizard
11/12/2007, 08:59 PM
But I bet I did see all the games that were on TV..

Two?

The younger generation knows nothing of hardships. Spoiled little !##@! Back in my days, we got to see OU on tv maybe twice a year. And that is only if the NCAA granted coverage in our area.

Then OU and Georgia sued the NCAA and things have never been the same. And are the rest of college football fans grateful to the two universities? Nooooooooooooo!

Jdog
11/12/2007, 10:12 PM

-It was the second greatest season that I've experenced as an OU fan-

Nebraska blew out Bama in the Orange
OU Blew out Auburn in the Sugar - got Bud's Autograph on the program.
and CU beat theOSU in the Bluebonnet bowl

-I was blessed to go to all of the home games that year - Greg Pruitt made his mark against USC - I think it was the last time that we beat em.
We blew out a very good CU team and best of all I was on the field for the last 3 drives of the Nebraska game.

2000 is the only season that was better then 71. My son and I made it to every game but one that year, both home and away. He scored big after the Orange bowl with players gloves and wristbands.

Blues1
11/12/2007, 11:35 PM
-It was the second greatest season that I've experenced as an OU fan-

Nebraska blew out Bama in the Orange
OU Blew out Auburn in the Sugar - got Bud's Autograph on the program.
and CU beat theOSU in the Bluebonnet bowl

-I was blessed to go to all of the home games that year - Greg Pruitt made his mark against USC - I think it was the last time that we beat em.
We blew out a very good CU team and best of all I was on the field for the last 3 drives of the Nebraska game.

2000 is the only season that was better then 71. My son and I made it to every game but one that year, both home and away. He scored big after the Orange bowl with players gloves and wristbands.

Yep..A Great Season it was in 71 - Auburn had the hiesman winner as well (Sullivan) - Joe Wylie (sp?) had that Long Punt return vs Auburn....I remember it Well....!!!!!
Gotta Keep Rockin'