PDA

View Full Version : Todd Reesing and KU = OU 2000

Blitzkrieg
11/11/2007, 09:27 PM
I've seen comparisons to OU 2000, and don't get me wrong, if they win the Big 12, I'll be the first to cheer them all the way. Mangino says that he think Reesing "will be the QB he ever coached." Better than Heupel?

Before we crown anyone, let's take a gander at exactly how comparable they are to OU 2000. OU 2000 also played a creampuff non conference, but we then beat a top 10 Texass, top 5 KSU at their house, and #1 Nebraska. The teams KU has beaten, by defensive rank this season (and non were ranked top 25):

Total yards allowed

CMU - 113th
D-1AA -
Toledo - 100th
Fla Int - 99th
KSU - 61st
Baylor - 106th
CU - 51st
aTm - 88th
Nebraska - 112th
OSU - 108th

That's right sportsfans, the average defense they have played is ranked 93rd, with the best defense they faced being CU, which they won in a squeaker.

While our average defense played in yards allowed is 75th, we did play 3 teams in the top 50, 5 teams in the top 57 in the country.

I'd really like a matchup with them, but I honestly think MU drops a bomb on them in KC.

cb4ou
11/11/2007, 10:01 PM
I said this on another thread. There is no comparsion to the 2000 sooners to this KU team.

I think it is a good story but they are not a top 10 team.

If they played LSU's, Oregons or OU's schedule they would have at least 2 losses

stoopified
11/11/2007, 10:32 PM
Not even close they have played 0 top 20 teams.We played 3 Top 10 teams in RED October alone.

SoonerMom2
11/11/2007, 10:41 PM
Pollsters forget that KU didn't play OU, Texas, or Tech this year in the Big 12 and their non-conference is a huge joke. Why aren't teams that play Div 1-AA penalized? Also why don't the computers take into consideration a loss at home versus a loss on the road? Also margin of loss? I am a total loss to explain how MO can gain points when we beat them since they played a top 10 team, but they bottom line is they lost to us. Since they tweaked the computers so much, it has created this scenario where a lot of teams are scheduling 1-AA teams because there is NO strength of schedule.

85sooners
11/11/2007, 10:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Blitzkrieg
11/11/2007, 11:15 PM
Mo should gain on us, they throttled CU in Boulder 55-10, and played us very close. That said, they should be the spot behind us right now.

badger
11/11/2007, 11:23 PM
It's still good to have another program that we can relate to in some way. I mean, what if the Big 12 was filled with a bunch of has-beens like Nebraska?

...sorry HskrGrl ;)

StoopTroup
11/11/2007, 11:26 PM
If they winout...I'd make the comparison.

They will have to beat us thOUgh along the way once we put these last two games in the bag.

Sooner_Bob
11/11/2007, 11:36 PM
I'd say the only thing you could realistically compare is the 10-0 records. KU hasn't played anyone of note at all . . . yet.

Doged
11/12/2007, 12:43 AM
While I agree the comparisons to OUr 2000 team are far fetched, I think Kansas is a top 10, at least. Yes, their schedule is suspect but no one can say if they'd played this schedule or that schedule they'd have a loss. Remember people were saying that about the 2000 Sooners headed into October, and look what happened.

The simple fact, not open to any conjecture at all, is that Kansas is the only BCS conference team that has won all their games. Is there some other criteria that trumps that? I guess there really is, but that seems off somehow. The object of the whole exercise is to win all your games and to this point KU is the last man standing.

Sooner02
11/12/2007, 12:53 AM
Who is Kansas' biggest quality win? OsU? Nebraska?

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 01:08 AM
And Boise State can't hang with OU... their schedule didn't have any College Stations, Red River Rivalries or Bed-dumb shootouts.

KU is very disciplined and very talented.

I don't know that I see them as a MNC contender yet, but they've got to be doing something right to win in Stoolwater and College Station, both places OU AND Texas' National Titleists struggled heavily in during their respective runs. Also of note: they won at Colorado. May not seem like anything huge to some of you unless you hop on youtube and look up "Colorado/OU."

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2007, 01:41 AM
KU is for real. They're solid on both sides of the ball and they're hungry. They totally deserve their ranking. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them run the table and go undefeated, including the CCG.

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 01:45 AM
If they run the table, beating us in the CCG... my hat is off to Mangino and they have my vote and cheers in the big one.

How weird would that be to see almighty SEC powerhouse LSU Manginowned? :eek:

soonerboomer93
11/12/2007, 01:52 AM
Pollsters forget that KU didn't play OU, Texas, or Tech this year in the Big 12 and their non-conference is a huge joke. Why aren't teams that play Div 1-AA penalized? Also why don't the computers take into consideration a loss at home versus a loss on the road? Also margin of loss? I am a total loss to explain how MO can gain points when we beat them since they played a top 10 team, but they bottom line is they lost to us. Since they tweaked the computers so much, it has created this scenario where a lot of teams are scheduling 1-AA teams because there is NO strength of schedule.

actually, their non-conference schedule and not playing OU, or UT is why posters have them behind LSU, Oregon and OU. Several tlaking heads have stated as much and have also stated they are waiting for the MU and possible CCG before moving them to #1.

Oh, and once again, Mizzou's loss was "better" then our loss. They lost on the road to a top 10 team.

SoonerKnight
11/12/2007, 01:56 AM
If they run the table, beating us in the CCG... my hat is off to Mangino and they have my vote and cheers in the big one.

How weird would that be to see almighty SEC powerhouse LSU Manginowned? :eek:

That would be one for the ages. The thing that worries me about Kansas is they seem to play hard from start to finish and are VERY disciplined. They are the least penalized team in Div-1A. If they beat Missouri by a lot I'll be worried about the Big XII CCG. If they barely beat Missouri then I'll feel better about it. I think Oklahoma has the speed and talent to hang 100 on them but when teams hang points on these guys they find a way to put more on the other team. When they play a tough defense they find a way to WIN!

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2007, 02:09 AM
The comparisons to OU 2000 will end in the CCG.

Blitzkrieg
11/12/2007, 11:13 AM
MU will beat them in KC.

Blues1
11/12/2007, 11:25 AM
I'm just thanking the Lucky Stars the Big 12 champ game is NOT in Arrowhead this year......Feel good south texas ...... :)

The Maestro
11/12/2007, 11:30 AM
KU has better wins this year at aTM and OSU than Bob Stoops has...ever.

Playing KU in the Big 12 title game...or Missouri for that matter...will be an all out war.

Partial Qualifier
11/12/2007, 11:33 AM

huh?

Salt City Sooner
11/12/2007, 11:34 AM
I'm just thanking the Lucky Stars the Big 12 champ game is NOT in Arrowhead this year......Feel good south texas ...... :)
Kinda like KC myself. Stoops & co. have won 4 league titles, & 2002 in Houston is the only Big 12 title that OU DIDN'T win in KC.

Widescreen
11/12/2007, 11:47 AM
Sarcasm?

The Maestro
11/12/2007, 11:50 AM
huh?

Stoops at aTm...win by 4, lose, win by 7, win by 1 or whatever the small total was last year.

Kansas won 19-11 and that was with aTm scoring a TD in final seconds to make a 19-3 game an 8 point win.

Stoops at OSU...win by 5, lose, win by 3, win by whatever the total was last year...very small.

Kansas won 43-28 at OSU this year.

Any more questions? Just saying Kansas won more impressively at those two places than any Bob Stoops coached team.

Blues1
11/12/2007, 11:51 AM
Kinda like KC myself. Stoops & co. have won 4 league titles, & 2002 in Houston is the only Big 12 title that OU DIDN'T win in KC.

I just see Our Team Doing Better in a Warm Stadium -- Sam's passing in Cold weather might not be what we need...??

Lets Rock'

stoopified
11/12/2007, 12:30 PM
KU is for real. They're solid on both sides of the ball and they're hungry. They totally deserve their ranking. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them run the table and go undefeated, including the CCG.
I would agree that KU is a very good team but National Title beat LSU,UO,OU,TOSU type good ? I'm not convinced. As for the original compaison between OU of 2000 and this KU team,I stand FIRMLY to my point.Until KU beats MU,OU and either LSU or UO they have not earned the right to even be mentioned in the same breath with an OU team that beat Top 10 teams like UT,KSU-TWICE,NU,FSU and other GOOD teams like aTm and TT.That is 7 quality wins for 2000 OU and 0 for 2007 KU.Come baxck after KU has beaten MU,OU,and either LSU,or UO and then try it again.Right now all you are doing is blowing smoke.

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Kansas D just gave up 955 yards in two games to teams with a combined record of 9-11, one at home. That's something the 2000 team never did.

Soonerman08
11/12/2007, 12:39 PM
Stoops at aTm...win by 4, lose, win by 7, win by 1 or whatever the small total was last year.

Kansas won 19-11 and that was with aTm scoring a TD in final seconds to make a 19-3 game an 8 point win.

Stoops at OSU...win by 5, lose, win by 3, win by whatever the total was last year...very small.

Kansas won 43-28 at OSU this year.

Any more questions? Just saying Kansas won more impressively at those two places than any Bob Stoops coached team.

You're an idiot...we only went through Murder's Row in October of 2000 to beat Texas, K-State, & Nebraska. Kansas has played a schedule nowhere near that degree of difficulty this year. Sure we barely beat A&M and OSU at their places back then, but we also went on to win it all against a high octane Florida State team that year. Kansas...should they play for it all, will not win the National Championship. They are a good team don't get me wrong, but they are not that great. IMHO.

toneful
11/12/2007, 12:55 PM
KU should play for MNC if they win out, no questions. If OU or UT had the same record, even with the weaker schedule, they would be number 1 right now. It's a crime if they miss out on BCS Ch game if they are undefeated.

The Maestro
11/12/2007, 12:56 PM
You're an idiot...we only went through Murder's Row in October of 2000 to beat Texas, K-State, & Nebraska. Kansas has played a schedule nowhere near that degree of difficulty this year. Sure we barely beat A&M and OSU at their places back then, but we also went on to win it all against a high octane Florida State team that year. Kansas...should they play for it all, will not win the National Championship. They are a good team don't get me wrong, but they are not that great. IMHO.

I'm an idiot, huh? Did I say Kansas was great or better than OU in 2000? No, reading comprehensive challenged one. I am just saying that passing judgement on them should also include the fact they won in College Station and Stillwater in more convincing fashion than an OU coached team ever has.

Kansas hasn't sniffed a Red October like we had that year, but we also had a poor November where we barely got by some teams we should have manhandled, i.e., at aTm and at OSU.

Having said that, there is not a dominant team this year so Kansas winning each week convincingly earns them the right to be mentioned in the mix. They did win at Colorado, right? Any clues as to what team did NOT win there?

OU 2000 is better than any team in the country right now. My post was merely stating the facts about Kansas in 2007. So go munch on that, mental midget.

Soonerman08
11/12/2007, 01:23 PM
I'm an idiot, huh? Did I say Kansas was great or better than OU in 2000? No, reading comprehensive challenged one. I am just saying that passing judgement on them should also include the fact they won in College Station and Stillwater in more convincing fashion than an OU coached team ever has.

Kansas hasn't sniffed a Red October like we had that year, but we also had a poor November where we barely got by some teams we should have manhandled, i.e., at aTm and at OSU.

Having said that, there is not a dominant team this year so Kansas winning each week convincingly earns them the right to be mentioned in the mix. They did win at Colorado, right? Any clues as to what team did NOT win there?

OU 2000 is better than any team in the country right now. My post was merely stating the facts about Kansas in 2007. So go munch on that, mental midget.

Let's see here...could the fact that playing at Stillwater is always difficult for us since it is a rivalry game have anything to do with it? I would tend to believe that that right there is enough encouragement to make any team get pumped up for. Plus OSU circles the OU game every year since that is the one game they must win in order to have a successful season. 2000 was also the last year for their head coach and they would have loved nothing more than the upset. Take that into consideration next time you flap your lips.

The Maestro
11/12/2007, 01:34 PM
Let's see here...could the fact that playing at Stillwater is always difficult for us since it is a rivalry game have anything to do with it? I would tend to believe that that right there is enough encouragement to make any team get pumped up for. Plus OSU circles the OU game every year since that is the one game they must win in order to have a successful season. 2000 was also the last year for their head coach and they would have loved nothing more than the upset. Take that into consideration next time you flap your lips.

Sounds like excuses to me, Nancy. Rivalry, tough place, last game for coach...hell, Stoops teams rarely crush opponents on the road, regardless of who, how bad they might be, etc. But do me a favor and answer a question...

Did Kansas win more convincingly at aTm and OSU this year than any Bob Stoops coached team has...at either place...in any season?

Your opinion about why isn't relevant to the FACTS I was stating...so give me the answer to my question, thanks, and then we can move on to discussing other issues which should not include anyone comparing the 07 Kansas squad to the 00 Sooners unless it is about coming from nowhere to be in the hunt for the national title.

Flap away...

milesl
11/12/2007, 01:40 PM
http://innerslacker.com/images/argue091204.jpg

The Maestro and Soonerman08, we are looking at you.

The Maestro
11/12/2007, 01:47 PM

What am I supposed to do at work? WORK?!?!?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! :D

No big deal...just not a big fan of someone calling me an idiot for making a true statement.

picasso
11/12/2007, 02:04 PM
Don't forget we had to beat KSU twice in 2000 and essentially at home both times. KSU was the 2nd best team in the country that season IMO.

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2007, 02:30 PM
I would agree that KU is a very good team but National Title beat LSU,UO,OU,TOSU type good ? I'm not convinced. As for the original compaison between OU of 2000 and this KU team,I stand FIRMLY to my point.Until KU beats MU,OU and either LSU or UO they have not earned the right to even be mentioned in the same breath with an OU team that beat Top 10 teams like UT,KSU-TWICE,NU,FSU and other GOOD teams like aTm and TT.That is 7 quality wins for 2000 OU and 0 for 2007 KU.Come baxck after KU has beaten MU,OU,and either LSU,or UO and then try it again.Right now all you are doing is blowing smoke.

Did I say anything about Kansas winning a MNC or being better than the 2000 Sooners? You come back when you've read my post correctly. Keep smoking.:cool:

Animal Mother
11/12/2007, 02:46 PM
If one was to judge solely on point differential than I would agree with Maestro about the quality of KU’ wins. However, that is exactly where I would disagree. ATM’s 2000 team was better coached and was just a better team than ATM 2007. R.C. Sloucm is better on his worst day than Fran is on Fran’s best day. Watching ATM at Norman this year, I was bedazzled by Fran’s aloofness and insane decisions such as a true freshman fielding punts in Norman for ATM. Throw in the “squishbone” they were attempting to run and you have the formula for being a former ATM coach.

Soonerman08
11/12/2007, 03:54 PM
If one was to judge solely on point differential than I would agree with Maestro about the quality of KU’ wins. However, that is exactly where I would disagree. ATM’s 2000 team was better coached and was just a better team than ATM 2007. R.C. Sloucm is better on his worst day than Fran is on Fran’s best day. Watching ATM at Norman this year, I was bedazzled by Fran’s aloofness and insane decisions such as a true freshman fielding punts in Norman for ATM. Throw in the “squishbone” they were attempting to run and you have the formula for being a former ATM coach.

Thank you Animal Mother you hit the nail right on the head.

Soonerman08
11/12/2007, 03:56 PM

Hahaha that is funny. Terrible, but funny.

Charla
11/12/2007, 08:59 PM
If they run the table, beating us in the CCG... my hat is off to Mangino and they have my vote and cheers
Amen and until then they are just Kansas and waiting to play bouncy-ball

douxpaysan
11/12/2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know but making comparisons with OUr 2000 miracle season is hard to abide. Kansas has something this year that is hard to express in cold hard statistics. Mojo, Sooner magic, luck of the Irish...some of all those things. It had been so long since we had lived that kind of excitement, so I can identify.:pop:

KingBarry
11/14/2007, 01:14 PM
That would be one for the ages. The thing that worries me about Kansas is they seem to play hard from start to finish and are VERY disciplined. They are the least penalized team in Div-1A. If they beat Missouri by a lot I'll be worried about the Big XII CCG. If they barely beat Missouri then I'll feel better about it. I think Oklahoma has the speed and talent to hang 100 on them but when teams hang points on these guys they find a way to put more on the other team. When they play a tough defense they find a way to WIN!

Brilliant analysis, Knight.

Look, critics are right that KU has not really played anybody, but what you see when you watch the Jayhawks are really fundamentally sound players just executing their butts off. They may not be the most talented team in America but, like the 2000 Sooners, they may well be the group playing the best ball as a team. Like our 2000 Champs, it seems each one is playing above his head and they don't make mistakes.

Believe me, we could well see KU win the North, and if they do, they will be a tough opponent and we could lose. We will, and should be, favored, but it won't be a gimme.