PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SEC

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2007, 06:31 PM
I hear that SEC teams have it bad because the beat each other up week to week and thats why the SEC teams typically lose 1 or 2 and dont get a chance to play for the MNC...

Don't they get the same amount of rest between games as the other conferences? Everytime I hear that statement, its said as if they play conference games every 2 days and wear each other out. Someone wanna explain that one...They play the same amount of games as everyone else...

It turns out Kentucky isnt that good. South Carolina..not that good...mississippi and baylor are about equivolent..arkansas not that good...alabama..auburn..not that good...vanderbilt not good...tennessee is ok...florida is ok....I think georgia and LSU are good teams that struggle not because the competition is good but just have had problems playing a good 4 quarters...Just like every other team in the top 10

I m not saying they arent the best conference because I dont think such a ranking is very rational..how do you rank conferences?...

Blues1
11/11/2007, 06:34 PM
#1 A Tie - Big 12 - SEC - Pac 10
#2 Big Ten
#3 Big East
All others -- Who Cares..... :)

The Maestro
11/11/2007, 06:35 PM
I think the SEC is balanced...but even this LSU team is not as good as the LSU team that won the title against us. Florida has moments where they look incredible, but they have lost three times. Georgia is the best chance to beat LSU in the conference title game. Lots of average teams that are around the 18-35 range nationally, but not dominant.

85sooners
11/11/2007, 06:35 PM
big 12 rules!!!!!!

The Maestro
11/11/2007, 06:37 PM
#1 A Tie - Big 12 - SEC - Pac 10
#2 Big Ten
#3 Big East
All others -- Who Cares..... :)

I disagree wholeheartedly on the Pac 10 assumption. They have three teams...Oregon, ASU and USC. The bottom six? Wazzu, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Arizona and Oregon State are VERY average to below average.

The Big 12's fourth best team is Texas.

The SEC's is probably Tennessee.

The Pac 10's is four loss Cal.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2007, 06:49 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly on the Pac 10 assumption. They have three teams...Oregon, ASU and USC. The bottom six? Wazzu, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Arizona and Oregon State are VERY average to below average.

The Big 12's fourth best team is Texas.

The SEC's is probably Tennessee.

The Pac 10's is four loss Cal.

Good call...its amazing when you judge a conference as a whole instead of top 2 or 3 teams what you come up with...

SECond2none
11/11/2007, 06:57 PM
I hear that SEC teams have it bad because the beat each other up week to week and thats why the SEC teams typically lose 1 or 2 and dont get a chance to play for the MNC...

Don't they get the same amount of rest between games as the other conferences? Everytime I hear that statement, its said as if they play conference games every 2 days and wear each other out. Someone wanna explain that one...They play the same amount of games as everyone else...

It turns out Kentucky isnt that good. South Carolina..not that good...mississippi and baylor are about equivolent..arkansas not that good...alabama..auburn..not that good...vanderbilt not good...tennessee is ok...florida is ok....I think georgia and LSU are good teams that struggle not because the competition is good but just have had problems playing a good 4 quarters...Just like every other team in the top 10

I m not saying they arent the best conference because I dont think such a ranking is very rational..how do you rank conferences?...

I don't think they are referring to the amount of days btw conference games. most conferences play the same amount.

I think it's the assumption that the SEC is from top to bottom the best conference and that there are great teams beating on great teams.

ATTN Sooner Eclipse. Im not saying that the SEC is from top to bottom the best. I don't want you to think this is a back handed snipe against you.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2007, 07:02 PM
I think it's the assumption that the SEC is from top to bottom the best conference and that there are great teams beating on great teams.

ATTN Sooner Eclipse. Im not saying that the SEC is from top to bottom the best. I don't want you to think this is a back handed snipe against you.

As a Sec guy, is it just an assumption? I seem to think so but I am interested in your opinion..

how would you rate those teams?

SECond2none
11/11/2007, 07:19 PM
As a Sec guy, is it just an assumption? I seem to think so but I am interested in your opinion..

how would you rate those teams?

I honestly think it's a little too hard to tell when the majority of the games are against each other.

How does anyone know.

I know we have a ton of talent, and because of that, any team can beat any team on any day. But can't that be said about the other conferences.

Sooner_Havok
11/11/2007, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't say that, A&m has talent, just not a coach, LosuR, same thing, Nebraska, you get the picture. Break it down this way:

OU-LSU About the same talent
UT-UF Again, about the same talent
A&M-TU- Same
OSU-Kentucky Same
Mizzou-Auburn Same
KU-UGA Same
NU-Bama Same
CU-SC Same
TTech-Ark Edge Ark just because of McFadden
IU-Vandy Big Edge Vandy
BU-Miss slight edge Miss
KSU-Miss St edge KSU

Let's not get cocky and say that just because a team sits in a good recruiting region, they get all the good recruits, thus have an edge talent wise.

Top three recruiting states: California, Texas, Florida
SEC splits Florida with the ACC
California goes almost 90% Pac 10
Texas goes almost 90% Big XII

This isn't to say good caliber talent doesn't come out of other states, but for the large part, the good teams will have rosters predominantly made up of guys from these states. I realize that LSU has a lot of kids from Louisiana, but that is the exception, not the rule. limiting teams to only 75 schollies has really changed the landscape of modern College football. No longer can coaches go out and recruit kids, just to keep them from going elsewhere.

Now a days (As this season has pointed out) every team has some good talent, and can beat anyone. Clearly LSU has more talent than Baylor, but OU clearly has more talent than Vandy as well.

Geekboy
11/11/2007, 08:28 PM
If I ruled the earth I would kick out either Miss. State or Ole Miss or even maybe Arkansas and bring OU into the SEC west. What a great conference that would be!

Sooner_Havok
11/11/2007, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't go. It is either Big XII, Big 8, or Div-1 ind. We had to make a lot of sacrifices to make the Big XII, and I don't want that to be for nothing, unless we strike out on our own.

SEC= No UT, No NU, and No more beating the ever loving crap out of OUr retarded cousins to the north.

Geekboy
11/11/2007, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't go. It is either Big XII, Big 8, or Div-1 ind. We had to make a lot of sacrifices to make the Big XII, and I don't want that to be for nothing, unless we strike out on our own.

SEC= No UT, No NU, and No more beating the ever loving crap out of OUr retarded cousins to the north.
You could still play UT as an out of conference rivalry game.

SECond2none
11/11/2007, 09:42 PM
You could still play UT as an out of conference rivalry game.

a la Florida/Florida St. or Clemson/South Car. or Kentucky/Louisiville etc.

Sooner_Havok
11/11/2007, 10:33 PM
Ya, but instead on NU every two years, we might play them every ten-15 years, no thanks. If Arkie wants to join its old SWC buddies, that's fine, but I am not keen on the idea of OU losing all of it's old conference rivals.