PDA

View Full Version : John McCain

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 05:22 PM
McCain praised at Veterans Day ceremony

By HOLLY RAMER, Associated Press Writer

BOSCAWEN, N.H. - Republican John McCain found himself on the giving and receiving ends of the tributes Sunday during a ceremony at the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery.

The Arizona senator and presidential hopeful joined state officials and several hundred people on a cold, sunny morning for a Veterans Day ceremony, and was repeatedly thanked for his service during the years he spent as a Vietnam prisoner of war.

McCain in turn paid tribute to military members serving in Iraq and thanked those at home for supporting the troops regardless of how they may feel about the war.

"The war and Iraq has divided America, but none of us is divided in our appreciation and our love and affection for those men and women in the military who are serving the cause of freedom," he said.

"Some of us here were in another war where America was divided in their support and that made our challenge of welcoming and bringing home all of veterans all the harder," he said, a reference to Vietnam.

McCain said such ceremonies always bring a "flood of memories" from his days in the Navy. He recounted an oft-told story of fellow POW Mike Christian, who fashioned an American flag from fabric scraps so that he and his cellmates could recite the Pledge of Allegiance nightly.

Their captors eventually discovered the flag and Christian was severely beaten. But he began sewing another flag within hours, his eyes nearly swollen shut.

"I was so very honored to have the privilege to serve in the company of heroes, to observe a thousand acts of courage and compassion and love," McCain said. "Those that I know best and love most are those who I had the privilege of serving with and under, who inspired me to do things I otherwise would not have been capable of."

Gov. John Lynch, a Democrat, and Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., also praised McCain. Lynch called him a "great American hero who made extraordinary sacrifices for all of us."

Why the Republicans didn't nominate John McCain in 2000, I'll never understand.

jk the sooner fan
11/11/2007, 05:46 PM
because he's hardly a republican?

ever hear the term RINO? (republican in name only)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 06:08 PM

on what issues does he differ with Ronald Reagan?

sanantoniosooner
11/11/2007, 06:36 PM
Life

Killerbees
11/11/2007, 06:57 PM
I really respect McCain as a vet, but I could never ever vote for him. He might not be quite 180 from Reagan but he is definitely past the 90 mark

StoopTroup
11/11/2007, 07:26 PM
His 95 year old Mother's statements the other day cracked me up.

Whoever in his camp decided to let her do an interview is probably fired...lol

jk the sooner fan
11/11/2007, 07:30 PM

oh lord are you serious?

how bout we start with conservatism?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 07:48 PM
Life

As governor of California, Reagan signed the most liberal abortion legalization bill in America, then flip-flopped and became an abortion opponent. What did he do about it as president? He nominated Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy for Supreme Court Justices, the two swing votes that upheld and enshrined Roe v. Wade for the past quarter-century.

McCain is not "less Republican" than Ronald Reagan on the Sanctity of Life issue.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm

Do you have any other issue on which John McCain is "less Republican" than President Reagan?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 07:50 PM
oh lord are you serious?

how bout we start with conservatism?

name an ISSUE.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/11/2007, 07:51 PM
As governor of California, Reagan signed the most liberal abortion legalization bill in America, then flip-flopped and became an abortion opponent. What did he do about it as president? He nominated Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy for Supreme Court Justices, the two swing votes that upheld and enshrined Roe v. Wade for the past quarter-century.

McCain is not "less Republican" than Ronald Reagan on the Sanctity of Life issue.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm

Do you have any other issue on which John McCain is "less Republican" than President Reagan?You would prolly be better off voting for McCain than who you are currently planning to vote for.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 08:02 PM
name an ISSUE.

Weak on immigration, especially the illegal variety

Not a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment

Campaign finance reform was a largely Democratic issue, with help from Mr. McCain

sanantoniosooner
11/11/2007, 08:02 PM

Do you have any other issue on which John McCain is "less Republican" than President Reagan?
Reagan is dead, is he not?

I rest my case.

jk the sooner fan
11/11/2007, 08:03 PM
name an ISSUE.

well, he voted against W's tax cuts

more than once, then he flip flopped and voted for them this year

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 08:38 PM
Weak on immigration, especially the illegal variety

Not a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment

Campaign finance reform was a largely Democratic issue, with help from Mr. McCain

1. Do you believe Reagan's amnesty bill was more in line with conservative principles?

2. McCain's 2nd amendment record and position is "pro-2nd amendment": read:
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 08:44 PM

fiscal responsibility and moving toward balanced budgets used to be considered the conservative position.

OK, you got me there, Reagan changed that!!:)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 08:49 PM
You would prolly be better off voting for McCain than who you are currently planning to vote for.

I would have voted for McCain in 2000. I think the Republicans made a big mistake choosing Bush over him.

I would consider voting for McCain in 08, although it looks like the Republicans are going for socially liberal Giuliani instead. Please don't try to tell me Giuliani is a cultural conservative. Both Giuliani and McCain are pro-free market, anti-protectionist conservatives. But neither are Jerry Falwell lap dogs.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 09:03 PM
1. Do you believe Reagan's amnesty bill was more in line with conservative principles?

2. McCain's 2nd amendment record and position is "pro-2nd amendment": read:
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm

1. I don't care what Reagan's stance on immigration was...because he's dead. I just know McCain's stance on illegal immigration, and his supporting amnesty for those already here is not what I want.

2. Except for his support of a ban on certain types of assault weapons...which of course are no more deadly then many other types of weapons, despite what some in the gun ban movement would have you believe.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 09:39 PM
1. I don't care what Reagan's stance on immigration was...because he's dead. I just know McCain's stance on illegal immigration, and his supporting amnesty for those already here is not what I want.

2. Except for his support of a ban on certain types of assault weapons...which of course are no more deadly then many other types of weapons, despite what some in the gun ban movement would have you believe.

Do you believe Giuliani's positions on immigration reform and gun control are more conservative than McCain's?

jk said McCain is a RINO. Is permitting folks to walk around carrying AK-47s a litmus test for conservatism?

McCain is a pro-life, pro-growth free market capitalist, who is an American hero and has the stature to lead the U.S. in it's difficult foreign policy arena.

VeeJay
11/11/2007, 09:55 PM
His 95 year old Mother's statements the other day cracked me up.

Whoever in his camp decided to let her do an interview is probably fired...lol

True dat.

God bless her for living 95 years and still going. But my experience with folks over 90 is that if you've the balls to put a microphone in front of them you get what you're asking for.....

:pop:

sanantoniosooner
11/11/2007, 09:56 PM
I'm surprised no one asked me to provide a link proving that Reagan was dead.

This place is slipping.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Do you believe Giuliani's positions on immigration reform and gun control are more conservative than McCain's?

jk said McCain is a RINO. Is permitting folks to walk around carrying AK-47s a litmus test for conservatism?

McCain is a pro-life, pro-growth free market capitalist, who is an American hero and has the stature to lead the U.S. in it's difficult foreign policy arena.

1. Nope, I don't like Rudy either.

2. I love it when you point out that someone is not fully behind the 2nd amendment, that the next thing that comes back at you is some ridiculous statement like yours about letting peeps walk around with AK-47's.

3. I will not dispute McCain's heroism, or his stature as a leader. Neither do I want him to be the Republican nominee.

usmc-sooner
11/11/2007, 10:07 PM
well you know the with the writers strike and all, more time on his hand

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 10:37 PM
well you know the with the writers strike and all, more time on his hand

last week's joke about Fred Thompson:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/poncaparker/fred.jpg

crawfish
11/11/2007, 10:40 PM

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2007, 10:46 PM
2. I love it when you point out that someone is not fully behind the 2nd amendment, that the next thing that comes back at you is some ridiculous statement like yours about letting peeps walk around with AK-47's

the 2nd amendment, like the 1st, is not absolute without bounds. I can't be permitted to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater, and likewise, I can't possess nuclear arms.

So go ahead and follow the fringe groups who bash mainstream conservatives like McCain - just because he may take a position that the right to bear arms might have some limits - and get ready to say, Madam President.

usmc-sooner
11/11/2007, 11:06 PM
another Red Castle Club member

11/12/2007, 12:30 AM
McCain has 2 major, unforgiveable problems with the Republican base: 1) His support for amnesty for illegals, and 2) His totally loony McCain-Feingold bill, which Bush amazingly passed into law. A law which clearly violates the First Amendment. Besides, he's smarmy and hotheaded, and would only be a choice over the democrat nominee, but not other republicans.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/12/2007, 02:01 AM
McCain has 2 major, unforgiveable problems with the Republican base: 1) His support for amnesty for illegals, and 2) His totally loony McCain-Feingold bill, which Bush amazingly passed into law. A law which clearly violates the First Amendment. Besides, he's smarmy and hotheaded, and would only be a choice over the democrat nominee, but not other republicans.

The campaign finance reform is a complicated issue, making strange bedfellows. The AFL-CIO and the ACLU also opposed the bill. I can't speak for the Republican base, but I think lots of ordinary Joes don't think it's unreasonable to limit use of soft money contributions.

The Republican Base used to include the business community. Many are feeling the Republican Party abandoned them on the immigration reform issue. While it is understandable that some may have objected to the reform bill that went before the Senate, the opposition offered no alternative legislation to help with supply and demand of labor. The H2A and H2B worker visa programs are dysfunctional, leading to a black market of labor. Doing nothing perpetuates the black market.

Ronald Reagan earned his conservative credentials by sending the Soviet Union to its grave, along with the rest of eastern European communism. On many other fronts he was not a classic conservative. Amnesty bill (was he forgiven?), Martin Luther King Holiday, skyrocketing deficits, and the abortion issue took a back seat while he was president. He was for a free-market North American accord - a forerunner to NAFTA. He was for free trade. That splits cultural and free market conservatives. He was on the free market side of economic issues, with a couple of exceptions for political compromise reasons.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/12/2007, 07:24 AM

Ding ding ding...He is no conservative. The conservatives had the power then, not the well heeled, liberal glitteri that only think blue bloods should be republicans...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/12/2007, 10:40 AM

Tax cuts are not inherently conservative. Take last Friday's vote on patching the Alternative Minimum Tax (ATM). Not a single house Republican voted for the bill.

WASHINGTON - House Democrats on Friday pushed through an $80 billion bill to block the spread of a dreaded tax on middle-income people. The White House and Republicans, protesting tax increases in the bill affecting mainly investment fund managers, maintained that it would never become law.

The 216-193 vote to "patch" the alternative minimum tax for a year sends the issue to the Senate, where its prospects are at best uncertain. Not one House Republican voted for it.

What is certain is that if Congress and the White House do not reach a compromise by the end of the year, anywhere from 21 million to 25 million middle-income taxpayers will be hit by the AMT, costing them as much as $2,000 in extra taxes.

Hitting middle-income taxpayers
The AMT was created in 1969 to ensure that a very small number of wealthy people could not use tax breaks or deductions to avoid paying any taxes.

But it was never indexed for inflation, and every year the AMT draws in more middle-income taxpayers. This year some 4 million people were subject to the tax.

Congress has recently responded with annual fixes or patches to limit those affected by the tax while searching for a way to eliminate it. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., last month outlined a plan to repeal the AMT, at a cost of $831 billion over 10 years, but acknowledged that action on his proposal is a long way off.

Friday's bill would extend AMT relief for one year, at a cost of about $51 billion. It includes another $30 billion in largely popular tax relief measures, including expanding the child tax credit, providing a property tax deduction to some 30 million families and extending a tax exemption for the combat pay of military personnel.
It extends several dozen targeted tax breaks due to expire at the end of the year, including a deduction for college tuition, a deduction for teachers' out-of-pocket expenses and deductions for residents of states that do not have income taxes. Others benefit winemakers, employers of Katrina victims, contributors to charities and state lawmakers.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21711098/

11/12/2007, 10:41 AM
The campaign finance reform is a complicated issue, making strange bedfellows. The AFL-CIO and the ACLU also opposed the bill. I can't speak for the Republican base, but I think lots of ordinary Joes don't think it's unreasonable to limit use of soft money contributions.

Ronald Reagan earned his conservative credentials by sending the Soviet Union to its grave, along with the rest of eastern European communism. On many other fronts he was not a classic conservative. Amnesty bill (was he forgiven?), Martin Luther King Holiday, skyrocketing deficits, and the abortion issue took a back seat while he was president. He was for a free-market North American accord - a forerunner to NAFTA. He was for free trade. That splits cultural and free market conservatives. He was on the free market side of economic issues, with a couple of exceptions for political compromise reasons.Paragraph 1) The SCOTUS even ruled that limiting donations to the candidate of your choice is a violation of the First Amendment. Paragraph 2) Reagan still had to play ball with the nitwits in congress, and made a few compromises I doubt he liked, such as the first Amnesty. His most important goals were met-lower taxes to create economic prosperity, and rebuild the US military for proper national defense. But hey, I bet you know that, and are just doing "your thing."

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 11:56 AM

Yes folks, we have a winner!

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 12:01 PM
the 2nd amendment, like the 1st, is not absolute without bounds. I can't be permitted to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater, and likewise, I can't possess nuclear arms.

So go ahead and follow the fringe groups who bash mainstream conservatives like McCain - just because he may take a position that the right to bear arms might have some limits - and get ready to say, Madam President.

Yeah I'm real familiar with how the 2nd amendment works. Banning a partucular type of weapon because of the way it looks, or the type of attachments that will go on it, is not part of the 2nd amendment, and that's essentially what the assault weapons ban did, or would likely do in the future. I am also aware that none of the amendments are absolute, for instance with the 2nd amendment: one cannot possess an automatic machine gun without proper licensing, nor can one possess nuclear arms as you put it.

soonerscuba
11/12/2007, 01:14 PM
Paragraph 1) The SCOTUS even ruled that limiting donations to the candidate of your choice is a violation of the First Amendment.

If by ruled, you mean backed twice, then yes, the court ruled that way. Money doesn't equal speach, it isn't that hard of a concept.

Fugue
11/12/2007, 01:17 PM
Free speach sucks. :texan:

11/12/2007, 01:40 PM
If by ruled, you mean backed twice, then yes, the court ruled that way. Money doesn't equal speach, it isn't that hard of a concept.It is legal to give money to someone else if you want. Rather, it was legal. McCain-Feingold is an assault on the Constitution, and I believe you know that.

soonerscuba
11/12/2007, 02:23 PM
It is legal to give money to someone else if you want. Rather, it was legal. McCain-Feingold is an assault on the Constitution, and I believe you know that.

Under that guise, money laundering wouldn't be a crime. There has been decades of precedence to suggest that regulation on elections serves a public good in terms of fighting corruption. Once again, I understand the argument as to why campaign finance is a bad thing. But as a dittohead you should embrace it as it shifts power away from the parties and into the hands of kooks like the Swifties and MoveOn.

1stTimeCaller
11/12/2007, 02:27 PM
I believe it was Ruth Bader Ginsberg that said, 'Money talks, bullsh*t walks.'

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/12/2007, 02:32 PM
:les: THAT WAS SAMMY HAGAR!!!

11/12/2007, 02:37 PM
Under that freedom, money laundering wouldn't be a crime. There has been decades of precedence to suggest that regulation on elections serves a public good in terms of fighting corruption. Once again, I understand the argument as to why campaign finance limitation is a bad thing, but I choose not to address the First Amendment ramifications. But as a dittohead you should embrace it as it shifts power away from the parties and into the hands of kooks like the Swifties and MoveOn.Fixed, + I doubt you know much of what Rush thinks, since you seem to believe he's against political parties. Have a fun day playing left field.