PDA

View Full Version : Going to South Dakota and Minnesota for the first time

royalfan5
11/11/2007, 01:29 PM
For work. I'm leaving this afternoon for South Sioux City, Nebraska for the first leg of the trip. I'm pretty excited about getting to see corn fields in a two different states. I'll probably swing through Iowa on the way back.

BillyBall
11/11/2007, 01:35 PM
For work. I'm leaving this afternoon for South Sioux City, Nebraska for the first leg of the trip. I'm pretty excited about getting to see corn fields in a two different states. I'll probably swing through Iowa on the way back.

Are you going to Minneapolis or St Paul while in Minnesota? I always have a good time in the twin cities, if you have a chance you should check them out. Very nice, clean cities with pretty cool nightlife.

Newbomb Turk
11/11/2007, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty excited about getting to see corn fields in a two different states.

prepare yourself - it's pretty wild.

royalfan5
11/11/2007, 01:41 PM
Are you going to Minneapolis or St Paul while in Minnesota? I always have a good time in the twin cities, if you have a chance you should check them out. Very nice, clean cities with pretty cool nightlife.
I won't be anywhere near the twin cities on this trip. When I do the Iowa/Wisconsin swing, I will pass through there then.

King Crimson
11/11/2007, 01:46 PM
nice post by Turk in this one....

r5TPsooner
11/11/2007, 03:34 PM
prepare yourself - it's pretty wild.

If by wild you mean freezing your testicles off then I concur.

mdklatt
11/11/2007, 03:38 PM
For work. I'm leaving this afternoon for South Sioux City, Nebraska for the first leg of the trip.

South Sioux City is the worst Sioux City.

John Kochtoston
11/11/2007, 03:40 PM
I won't be anywhere near the twin cities on this trip. When I do the Iowa/Wisconsin swing, I will pass through there then.

Where in Minny will you be?

Newbomb Turk
11/11/2007, 04:11 PM
If by wild you mean freezing your testicles off then I concur.

no doubt - I don't miss that part of the country come winter.

Cam
11/11/2007, 05:53 PM
And it's not even close which is saying a lot.

royalfan5
11/11/2007, 07:19 PM
I know that now. Apparently Hardees never left this part of the state. Also, my Econolodge room has a mirrored wall.

Newbomb Turk
11/11/2007, 07:20 PM
Also, my Econolodge room has a mirrored wall.

sweet.

mdklatt
11/11/2007, 07:21 PM
I know that now. Apparently Hardees never left this part of the state. Also, my Econolodge room has a mirrored wall.

Screw Hardees. Head across the river and get some pizza from Tony's.

royalfan5
11/11/2007, 07:22 PM
Where in Minny will you be?
Southwest part. North of Marshall.

royalfan5
11/11/2007, 07:23 PM
Screw Hardees. Head across the river and get some pizza from Tony's.
Maybe for Lunch tomorrow on my way North.

StoopTroup
11/11/2007, 07:23 PM
If you get by Rapid City...

My FIL is the Mall Santa there again this year.

Find a sweet Co-ed to go sit on his lap for me if you happen to go there. :D

Newbomb Turk
11/11/2007, 07:28 PM
If you get by Rapid City...

My FIL is the Mall Santa there again this year.

Find a sweet Co-ed to go sit on his lap for me if you happen to go there. :D

based on him being in Sioux City and SW Minnesota, I doubt he'll be within 200 miles of Rapid City.

btw - sweet job the FIL has.

royalfan5
11/12/2007, 05:05 PM
So I made it to Minnesota. I feel like I should be driving a tan Cutlass Sierra, and picking up hookers because everyone sounds like they should have been an extra in Fargo, and the my motel room looks like it was used in Fargo.

Also Sioux Falls was like they cloned the crappy parts on Omaha and moved them to South Dakota.

SoonerStormchaser
11/12/2007, 05:12 PM
Heh...the Dakotas, Vermont and Rhode Island are the only 4 states I haven't been to. I'll knock out VT and RI here over Thanksgiving.

I gotta ask Royal...where's the avatar from?

Newbomb Turk
11/12/2007, 05:30 PM
So I made it to Minnesota. I feel like I should be driving a tan Cutlass Sierra, and picking up hookers because everyone sounds like they should have been an extra in Fargo, and the my motel room looks like it was used in Fargo.

Also Sioux Falls was like they cloned the crappy parts on Omaha and moved them to South Dakota.
is there anywhere other than eastern nebraska that you like?

royalfan5
11/12/2007, 05:36 PM
is there anywhere other than eastern nebraska that you like?
I like Minnesota just fine. Iowa has its bright spots. Vermillion, SD was nice too. The part of Sioux Falls I was in looked like development had moved to other places. It was like L street in Omaha, a fading Main Drag. I'm sure the rest of Sioux Falls is nice.

royalfan5
11/12/2007, 07:15 PM
The attached restaurant was really good except for my steak had to have graded out utility. I think it was more ligament than muscle. However, I'm thinking that breakfast should be pretty good there in the morning. I suppose that's the crapshoot of small town restaurants though.

royalfan5
11/13/2007, 06:37 PM
I had a meeting in Senator Volstead's house today. He was the father of Agricultural Cooperatives and Prohibition. They really played up the co-op bit over the no drinking bit in the historical displays.

John Kochtoston
11/13/2007, 06:56 PM
Southwest part. North of Marshall.

Ehh, can't help. Most of my time was spent in the Iron Range and parts north.