PDA

View Full Version : Interesting coaching

anonamoose
11/11/2007, 12:21 PM
As I was listening to the pregame show on the animal yesterday I heard several talking heads say that gundy chooses which backs play and when. Wilson doesn't overrule the who runs on this play call. So basicly the running back coach picks which back is playing.

What I find interesting is that it is very obvious who the best back we have is. What I also find interesting is that our best back gets 13 rushes in a game in which he should get 20-25 rushing touches. This seems so basic that it kinda defies logic as to why we dont have our best out there more.

I use the running back situation as an example but you can tranlate this to wide reciever also in that kelly doesnt get as many touches as he should. ( I know this is sams call but coaches instruct a player what he should be doing with the ball)

I don't know if anyone else sees what I see but as I watch the team play this year I am scared of what a really good team would do to us because we just don't look like NC caliber team. It just seems our coaches are not great scheme coaches in that adjustments do not have the effect as teams several years ago. It seems that in past years the other team would have 1st qtr success and then from the 2nd qtr on they would be shut down for the most part. Other teams anymore seems to have more success throughout the game more.

Our offense scheme isn't what it was since mangino left. Our defense isn't what it was since stoops left. We have pretty good coords. not great ones. and if you look back at when the great ones we had left we lose the really big games for the most part.

Just an observation that really has shown itself this year.

thoughts?

mightysooner
11/11/2007, 12:29 PM
No I definitely agree with what you're saying. The difference between Demarco and our other two backs is a large gap in talent for sure. He's heads and shoulders above everyone else. He doesn't get anywhere NEAR enough touches. I'll even throw this out there. I think Demarco has everything Reggie Bush had. I'd like to see Demarco used in many of the same ways Bush was. He can take it the distance from anywhere on the field at any time. I'm stoked about our future and watching him play here!

Something else that impressed me about Demarco last night was the power he can run with. He's the total package. The highlight reel of the 25 yard TD run where he makes 8 guys miss and then hits that poor Baylor ****** so hard his helmet flew off (I think his head was still in it) really wow'd me (apparently ESPN too). If that's not indicative of the power he can run with I dunno what is.

landrun
11/11/2007, 12:56 PM
It is not obvious who's the best back. I think Patrick is.

And until yesterday, I think Patrick had more yards per carry.

RacerX
11/11/2007, 01:01 PM
So you're saying that great assistant coaches/coordinators are hard to replace?

BRILLIANT!

bred24
11/11/2007, 01:03 PM
It is not obvious who's the best back. I think Patrick is.

And until yesterday, I think Patrick had more yards per carry.

Is this Cale Gundy?? Because to anyone that can see. Murray is by far the best RB.

sooner n houston
11/11/2007, 01:13 PM
Man if only we could find some coaches as smart as the people who post on this board, we would never lose again!

bred24
11/11/2007, 01:32 PM
Man if only we could find some coaches as smart as the people who post on this board, we would never lose again!

The only type of people who say that idiotic statement are people with inferior football knowledge.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 02:00 PM

I know there are posters that go too far in their criticism of Venables and Wilson...but you don't have to be especially smart to recognize that Stoops was a better coordinator then Venables, and Leach and Mangino both were better then Wilson. JMHO

AlbqSooner
11/11/2007, 02:39 PM
Frankly I think the best back at OU is Joe Washington. Smoke through a keyhole.

1stTimeCaller
11/11/2007, 02:52 PM
isn't DM a RS Freshman?

That would be my guess as to why he doesn't get all of the touches. It's not like there is a huge talent drop when he's not in the game.

SoonerFaninAZ
11/11/2007, 05:12 PM
but you don't have to be especially smart to recognize that Stoops was a better coordinator then Venables, and Leach and Mangino both were better then Wilson. JMHO

Humility is a great thing.

So is irony.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 05:44 PM
Humility is a great thing.

So is irony.

Wow SFA, you must be some kind of genius, you really got me good. :rolleyes: Nice of you to lurk on here so you can slay us all with your matchless wit....or let me guess: you actually do think we've never been better at the coordinator positions?

So, are you merely a lurker looking for a chance to unleash that mighty wit of yours, or do you honestly think we've never been better at the coordinator positions?

Option 1: you are a simple lurker
Option 2: you really don't know much about football

Please, tell us more about who you are.

GottaHavePride
11/11/2007, 08:46 PM
I'm closing this thread because it's retarded.

Seriously here. The number of touches between AP and Murray is almost the same. Murray has slightly higher YPC, Patrick has slightly higher yards per game. They're different styles of runners. Quit yer bitchin', you've got three more years to watch Murray.

And blaming Kelly's lack of catches on a coordinator is asinine. No matter what play a coordinator calls, if Sam tries to force passes to Kelly in coverage, the result is going to be a lot more incompletes and INTs. There are reasons he's got the highest efficiency rating in the country, and one of them is that he tends not to force throws to guys in heavy coverage. He tried that yesterday and got an INT for it. What receiver gets the catches is ultimately the QB's call.