PDA

View Full Version : Screw the dog & pony show

Sirus
11/11/2007, 02:02 AM
Can someone tell me why Sammy doesn't get any love for heisman votes with these numbers?

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT 165 239 2156 69.0 9.02 65 25 5 8 175.15

I'm not asking for him to win the damn thing, just to at least get an invite to the show.

Oh yeah.. I forgot he's only a freshman. The last time we had a freshman up for the award, he was overlooked because the media thinks that freshman haven't proven themselves yet. I wonder If the media still thinks that same freshman needs to prove anything else besides breaking more NFL records (in his rookie yr.) and making veterans look silly in the meanwhile.
My point is that I hate the voting gurus and their snobbish opinions. I get tired of hearing them ride some guys jock from Hawaii who churns out a million yards against schools like South Central Tijuana.

lets look at the numbers in comparison to the hopefuls* (numbers before todays games)

Completion Percentage:

Bradford: 69%
Todd Boeckman: 65%
Chase Daniel: 68%
Dennis Dixon: 67%
Matt Ryan: 59%
Tim Tebow: 67%

YARDS:

Bradford: 2156
Todd Boeckman: 1,958
Chase Daniel: 2,954
Dennis Dixon: 2,074
Matt Ryan: 2,848
Tim Tebow: 2,228

TD/INT:

Bradford: 25/5
Todd Boeckman: 23/8
Chase Daniel: 23/9
Dennis Dixon: 20/3
Matt Ryan: 21/11
Tim Tebow: 21/4

Sirus steps down from soapbox......

hyoctane23
11/11/2007, 02:09 AM
Freshman....oh, and UNbelieveable receivers. But Big Easy is amazing...I LOVE him, and he had his 20th birthday. GO BRADFORD!!

piusbovis
11/11/2007, 02:09 AM
I do find it to be a bit curious. I don't expect Bradford to win the Heismann but you'd expect some more hype over a guy who is within a couple of throws of breaking the freshman record and as a freshman is still one of the best QB's in the league.

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 02:22 AM
He's a freshman so honestly if he'd completed every pass he threw all season, no interceptions and a TD every 3 passes he'd still be at the bottom at best. The heisman is no longer about the best player, but instead about who will be the best player in the NFL next year...which leaves the real question: Why didn't AD win it last year?

SCOUT
11/11/2007, 02:47 AM
He's a freshman so honestly if he'd completed every pass he threw all season, no interceptions and a TD every 3 passes he'd still be at the bottom at best. The heisman is no longer about the best player, but instead about who will be the best player in the NFL next year...which leaves the real question: Why didn't AD win it last year?
AD is proving himself to be very mediocre in the NFL ;)

The Heisman has been a useless award for a while now. It doesn't have anything to do with who deserves it, but rather who ESPN thinks is the most marketable.

goingoneight
11/11/2007, 02:51 AM
That Troy Smith is tearing it up right now... :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 02:53 AM
Troy smith can lick my taint.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2007, 03:22 AM
I do find it to be a bit curious. I don't expect Bradford to win the Heismann but you'd expect some more hype over a guy who is within a couple of throws of breaking the freshman record and as a freshman is still one of the best QB's in the league.
He's one of the best QB's in the country, not just the Big 12

Blue
11/11/2007, 04:26 AM
The Heisman can lick my taint.

This award is now a joke.

yermom
11/11/2007, 09:15 AM
i can't believe that those huge TD's didn't make Sportscenter, i mean it wasn't even a blip. they did give the whole team some love though

but another thing is that his passing stats may be comparable to Tebow and Dixon, but he doesn't have the other dimension they do. still, he should at least be in the discussion and go to New York IMO

as far as AD being a freshman and not winning the Heisman, he had to compete with JW for votes, i mean JW was the leader on the ESPN vote until Leinart torched a bad ND team for 5 TDs by throwing into the end zone well after the game was in hand

soonerorlater25
11/11/2007, 09:15 AM
Freshman....oh, and UNbelieveable receivers. But Big Easy is amazing...I LOVE him, and he had his 20th birthday. GO BRADFORD!!

I was wondering this all along, but you know how it goes. Peterson was snubbed for being a Freshman, Bradford is simply being ignored, yet he is QB'ing (if you will) one of the top 5 teams in the country:confused:

soonersn2007
11/11/2007, 09:27 AM
The Heisman can lick my taint.

This award is now a joke.
That just about sums it up.

stoopified
11/11/2007, 09:29 AM
Brother you are preaching to the choir,I have been praising Sam and pushing for Heisman mention for over a month.

Scott D
11/11/2007, 09:59 AM
i can't believe that those huge TD's didn't make Sportscenter, i mean it wasn't even a blip. they did give the whole team some love though

but another thing is that his passing stats may be comparable to Tebow and Dixon, but he doesn't have the other dimension they do. still, he should at least be in the discussion and go to New York IMO

as far as AD being a freshman and not winning the Heisman, he had to compete with JW for votes, i mean JW was the leader on the ESPN vote until Leinart torched a bad USC team for 5 TDs by throwing into the end zone well after the game was in hand

yermom pretty much as it right, except for Leinart throwing 5 TD in an apparent scrimmage against USC's second team defense instead of Notre Dame. ;)

yermom
11/11/2007, 10:06 AM
hey, it's early :O

Scott D
11/11/2007, 10:07 AM
well at least I saved the incorrect version for posterity ;)

Lott's Bandana
11/11/2007, 10:16 AM
Hard as hell to give him this love, however, Mark May predicted Sam would win a Heisman during his career at OU... right after the Miami game. He likes to be right so expect a campaign to begin...next year.

StoopTroup
11/11/2007, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure that anyone has given this much thought other than thinking from the point that OU is being overlooked....again.

I think they are doing us and Sam a big favor.

You have a kid (Sam), that can't go to the NFL until he finishes his Sophomore year. What good can come from giving him the Heisman as a Freshman?

Here's what I think about the Heisman.

Yes it is an award that's given to the next best NFL Prospect. Deservingly so IMO. If a guy has endured 3 seasons at the Div 1 level of competition and has the stats that year for consideration, then it's up to the Heisman Voters to decide who they want to have in their little Club.

We can think what we want but the Heisman guys also know what getting this award means to a kids future. I'd think that has some consideration when they turn the limelight on someone...especially a Freshman.

If Colt McCoy had gotten more notice as a Freshman...he would be even more of a disappointment than he is this year.

So...in all...I'm kind of glad that Sam isn't getting mentioned unless his Stats get to the "WOW...this Kid is a QB Prodigy!" stage.

Sam's getting plenty of love right now from just his Freshman Performance. Blowing it up even more isn't going to help anything except OUr appetite as Fans for stacking up awards and posting another Stat on the Stadium walls.

Now...don't get me wrong...I'm as hungry as any of you for it...I'm just trying to give Sam a break. I'm betting he'd like to win a MNC as a Freshman over the Heisman anyway.

The Maestro
11/11/2007, 12:42 PM
The latest ESPN.com poll after the games on Nov. 3rd...

Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Dennis Dixon QB Oregon Sr. 14 0 1 0 0 73
Darren McFadden RB Arkansas Jr. 1 4 2 3 4 38
Tim Tebow QB Florida So. 0 4 2 4 1 31
Matt Ryan QB Boston College Sr. 0 2 3 2 2 23
Pat White QB West Virginia Jr. 0 3 2 2 1 23
Chase Daniel QB Missouri Jr. 0 1 3 1 0 15
Mike Hart RB Michigan Sr. 0 0 3 1 1 9
Colt Brennan QB Hawaii Sr. 0 1 0 0 1 5
Glenn Dorsey DT LSU Sr. 0 0 0 2 0 4
Todd Boeckman QB Ohio State Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Matt Forte RB Tulane Sr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Steve Slaton RB West Virginia Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky Sr. 0 0 0 0 1 1

McFadden's team got smoked again. 110 yards against Tennessee...eh! Nothing special. Dixon did not play but should remain way on top of this list. Tebow is lights out and deserves to be a favorite. Mike Hart did not play...again...get him off the list. Boeckman--3 picks...goodbye! Matt Ryan's team lost to Maryland...and he threw two more picks. He should disappear...his numbers are not that great. White and Slaton probably cancel each other out...not sure either's stats are all that impressive. Matt Forte rushed for 170 yards or so against UTEP...is that better than Sam's night?

Sam should be at least 7th or so in this poll and creeping his way into the top 5. 28 TD's and 6 picks and his completion percentage...20 of 25 last night...should have national attention. A big game on ABC against a weak Texas Tech defense could get him some new found love.

Oh, and the Kansas QB deserves to be on this list as well. WAY up there!

Crimson Kid
11/11/2007, 02:37 PM
Someone called in to the espn show last night and asked this, they said they thinks it's because OU is known as running team, and sam is a frosh.

The Maestro
11/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Someone called in to the espn show last night and asked this, they said they thinks it's because OU is known as running team, and sam is a frosh.

Wow...that has to be the dumbest logic of all time if someone said it. Sam is throwing for 300 almost every game and our passing attack has far outshined the running game. And besides, 28-6 and leading the nation in passing effeciency speaks for itself. Running teams don't have QB's with 28 TD passes.

I don't think he is the leader or should win it based on what I have seen. To me, the battle is between Tebow and Dixon. But Sam should be in the discussion in front of the likes of Dorsey, Hart, the Tulane running back, the WVU duo and others.

Nate Johnson
11/11/2007, 08:01 PM
All awards are pointless if OU doesn't win the National Championship.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2007, 02:01 AM
Nothing about taints?