PDA

View Full Version : Dear Brent:

okcusooner
11/10/2007, 09:21 PM
I thought you would have figured this out by now....especially after the 4th and 18 against Boise State.....but the three man rush just doesn't work too well on 3rd and long. I wonder how more times teams will have to burn the OU defense before you figure that out?

Perhaps the better question is how much longer until Bob figures out that you have a flat learning curve?

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2007, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes:

cya troll

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/10/2007, 09:38 PM
dear okcu,

bye.

thanks,
jkm

GottaHavePride
11/10/2007, 10:12 PM
Oh, snap!

soonerboomer93
11/10/2007, 10:14 PM
dammit, I wanted a STFU n00b, but no

:mad:

:D

sooneron
11/10/2007, 10:15 PM
Dangling in the wind...

JohnnyMack
11/10/2007, 10:17 PM
IBTL.

JohnnyMack
11/10/2007, 10:18 PM
Dangling in the wind...

pervert.

MiccoMacey
11/10/2007, 10:19 PM
I thought we were allowed to criticize coaches?

goingoneight
11/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Yes, a prevent defense was absolutely stupid when you're playing Baylor. THEY'RE BAYLOR.

What you failed to mention is no other active defensive coordinator has a better record since BV took the reigns.

soonerboomer93
11/10/2007, 10:21 PM
I think the last sentence is what helped push it over the line

sooneron
11/10/2007, 10:22 PM
pervert.
Hello Pot.

Sooneron, I want to put on a paisley dress for you and do my Judy Garland revue whilst you throw bananas at my feet. srsly peem me -JohnnyMack

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/10/2007, 10:22 PM
Still.

We gave up 462 yards to BAYLOR, for crying out loud.

I don't like it one bit.

MiccoMacey
11/10/2007, 10:23 PM
Cool...I don't necessarily disagree with his premise...I just thought this was Venables' plan to not show TTech anything.

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2007, 10:24 PM
Baylor did just find out their coach was getting canned.

That always seems to get a team fired up.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 10:25 PM
Cool...I don't necessarily disagree with his premise...I just thought this was Venables' plan to not show TTech anything.
Good lord, I hope so. I think it was a lack of aggressiveness and they executed lights out.

olevetonahill
11/10/2007, 10:27 PM
Now can we lose Vegas Vic and mannoo

GottaHavePride
11/10/2007, 10:28 PM
And that running back of theirs is freakin hard to tackle. Reminded me of Quentin Griffin.

Widescreen
11/10/2007, 10:29 PM
I liked the defense today. Instead of waiting until the last 5 minutes of the game to give up big plays, we did it early and often. :D

goingoneight
11/10/2007, 10:31 PM
Why, oh why does Baylor always play their best game of the year IN NORMAN!?! :mad:

OUTromBoNado
11/10/2007, 10:38 PM
It could have been the coaches decided to work on the 3-man rush in a game...one that we should (and did) win handily. It was probably that and the fact of just not being aggressive because it was Baylor.

If we're still calling that stuff next week and it still fails, then yeah....we'll have some problems.

Curly Bill
11/10/2007, 10:41 PM
I liked the defense today. Instead of waiting until the last 5 minutes of the game to give up big plays, we did it early and often. :D

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :P

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2007, 10:42 PM
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :P
It's not funny if you are me.

Sooner Eclipse
11/10/2007, 10:44 PM
Now can we lose Vegas Vic and mannoo

I like man(o)(o).

He's like the forrest gump of poke fans.

Curly Bill
11/10/2007, 10:46 PM
It could have been the coaches decided to work on the 3-man rush in a game...one that we should (and did) win handily. It was probably that and the fact of just not being aggressive because it was Baylor.

If we're still calling that stuff next week and it still fails, then yeah....we'll have some problems.

We didn't do it just because it was Baylor, it's what we do, and we've been doing it for some time now. The general lack of aggressiveness shown by our defense, especially as it relates to pressuring the QB and playing a soft zone in the secondary, is an ongoing source of debate on here. I hate it, many other posters hate it, but other then kick it around on here not much we can do about it.

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2007, 10:48 PM
Why, oh why does Baylor always play their best game of the year IN NORMAN!?! :mad:
Maybe because we can't get excited about playing them at home?

Curly Bill
11/10/2007, 10:48 PM
It's not funny if you are me.

Ah come on...not even a little funny? ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2007, 10:54 PM
is there always that many newbs in the OGT?

sooneron
11/10/2007, 10:57 PM
is there always that many newbs in the OGT?
It wasn't that way last year.

adoniijahsooner
11/10/2007, 11:01 PM
And that running back of theirs is freakin hard to tackle. Reminded me of Quentin Griffin.

That is the same thought I had, with some of the moves he was putting on our defense.

Blue
11/10/2007, 11:02 PM
I'll take it. The Big 12 is spread crazy. People score points. As long as our offense clicks, we win.

3 yrds and a cloud of dust is in the past. How many spreads beat us year in and year out? I like our chances in Lubbock.

adoniijahsooner
11/10/2007, 11:03 PM
I believe sometimes we dont give the competition enough credit for the plays that they make against, and automatically assume that it the fault of our defense. Baylor MADE some plays tonight, give them there due.

SoonerBBall
11/10/2007, 11:18 PM
Still.

We gave up 462 yards to BAYLOR, for crying out loud.

I don't like it one bit.

462 yards.....and 21 points.

Do you not ever watch OU football?

This is probably the fifth thread this season that will say "our defensive philosophy is to give up yards between the 20s but stop the opponent from scoring." We've done this for years, I don't know why you would expect it to change now. I don't like the 3 man rush at all, though. I think we proved against Missouri that it is nothing but bad news.

Crimson Kid
11/10/2007, 11:30 PM
who cares as long as we out score them.

Curly Bill
11/10/2007, 11:33 PM
who cares as long as we out score them.

I for one care that OUr "D" didn't look that great against Baylor. I'm all for outscoring the other team as mission #1, but I'd also like to play up to OUr potential...on both sides of the ball.

Charla
11/11/2007, 12:24 AM
Defense wins championships. I agree that we need to play better defense. We gave up 3 scores all on big plays. If we would have beat CU we wouldn't be having all these BS discussions pertaining to the BCS. It was our Def that let us down there, The last time we won the Nat. Champ. we did it with def. against FSU. Until we become more consistent on D we will not win #8.

SOONER STEAKER
11/11/2007, 12:25 AM
Brent, you know what Cartman always says, "SUCK MY BALLS."

Redgiant2
11/11/2007, 01:14 AM
462 yards.....and 21 points.

Do you not ever watch OU football?

This is probably the fifth thread this season that will say "our defensive philosophy is to give up yards between the 20s but stop the opponent from scoring." We've done this for years, I don't know why you would expect it to change now. I don't like the 3 man rush at all, though. I think we proved against Missouri that it is nothing but bad news.

Yes, I can recall many 462 yard games against the likes of Baylor before a certain individual left for the desert. Why, 300 yard halves were common place. I mean it was almost game in and game out when we'd allow teams like Baylor ram the ball down our throats between the 20's only to watch them self-destruct in the red zone. So yeah, the whole don't believe your eyes believe what I say is a bit played out at this point.

This team will be obliterated by someone who knows how to finish drives if the offense sputters ala USC. This team will be beaten most of the time by other teams who can score with them ala Boise. The defense is awful. It just plain stinks. We keep hearing a lot about potential with these guys and quite frankly I won't argue with that one bit. The point of it is, there is very little if any development going on. It's the same mistakes week in and week out, year after year. Poor technique, lack of discipline, and a kitty cat attitude is not gonna cut it.

SoonerBBall
11/11/2007, 01:17 AM
Defense wins championships. I agree that we need to play better defense. We gave up 3 scores all on big plays. If we would have beat CU we wouldn't be having all these BS discussions pertaining to the BCS. It was our Def that let us down there, The last time we won the Nat. Champ. we did it with def. against FSU. Until we become more consistent on D we will not win #8.

This post is only correct if you conveniently disregard the fact that our D far out played both our offense and special teams against CU.

Oh wait...

Stupid n00b.

SoonerBBall
11/11/2007, 01:22 AM
Yes, I can recall many 462 yard games against the likes of Baylor before a certain individual left for the desert. Why, 300 yard halves were common place. I mean it was almost game in and game out when we'd allow teams like Baylor ram the ball down our throats between the 20's only to watch them self-destruct in the red zone. So yeah, the whole don't believe your eyes believe what I say is a bit played out at this point.

This team will be obliterated by someone who knows how to finish drives if the offense sputters ala USC. This team will be beaten most of the time by other teams who can score with them ala Boise. The defense is awful. It just plain stinks. We keep hearing a lot about potential with these guys and quite frankly I won't argue with that one bit. The point of it is, there is very little if any development going on. It's the same mistakes week in and week out, year after year. Poor technique, lack of discipline, and a kitty cat attitude is not gonna cut it.

While I agree that our D isn't as good as it is was hyped to be, 9-1 says that you are wrong.

Listen, any other year I would agree with you fully, but this season is full of teams that can't finish games against unranked opponents, let alone drives during the game. In fact, Kansas and Oregon are the only teams this year that look like they could have competed in any of the last few seasons. Kansas is a team that really scares the hell out of me right now. They are the only team in the NCAA that I fear except Oregon, and I only fear Oregon if Dennis Dixon isn't badly injured.

freshchris05
11/11/2007, 01:38 AM
I thought you would have figured this out by now....especially after the 4th and 18 against Boise State.....but the three man rush just doesn't work too well on 3rd and long. I wonder how more times teams will have to burn the OU defense before you figure that out?

Perhaps the better question is how much longer until Bob figures out that you have a flat learning curve?

mmm, whatcha say?

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 01:55 AM
Didn't we win?

jwlynn64
11/11/2007, 01:58 AM
I'm not as worried about the D as I am our teams inability to rush for 3 yards when we absolutely need it.

The run game is really starting to worry me.

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 02:02 AM
I think our run game is awesome. The only times we failed was the first 2 possessions and on the 4th down play when we shoulda rolled Sam out with a run, pitch, pass option and we did exactly what they expected and ran Chris brown straight ahead.

Redgiant2
11/11/2007, 02:22 AM
While I agree that our D isn't as good as it is was hyped to be, 9-1 says that you are wrong.

Listen, any other year I would agree with you fully, but this season is full of teams that can't finish games against unranked opponents, let alone drives during the game. In fact, Kansas and Oregon are the only teams this year that look like they could have competed in any of the last few seasons. Kansas is a team that really scares the hell out of me right now. They are the only team in the NCAA that I fear except Oregon, and I only fear Oregon if Dennis Dixon isn't badly injured.

Quite frankly, Mike Gundy could win 10 games a year with the talent that is at OU and their schedule. You say any other year you'd agree with me? Well that's good because they've looked just like this for 4 years now. There has been absolutely 0 development regardless of position change or hype about potential. how long can this group of coaches live on the potential of their athletes while it goes undeveloped? I don't care what any other team does or does not do. They are of no concern to me. If you want to win a NC then you do the things the other guys won't. And this D is not capable of or unwilling to accomplish that.

Either Kansas or Missouri should strike fear into the hearts of Sooners everywhere. OU has already tipped their hand to Missouri in the only bout of creativity Venables has managed since he took over. Mo moved the ball on their normal soft zone like they weren't even there. God knows what the score would've been had he shown the appalling lack of flexibility he displayed at Colorado and to top it all off they have already given these guys all they could handle. Playing them a second time could be unhealthy. The only advantage we have is Pinkel being notorious for wilting in the spotlight. Kansas is competent, disciplined, and confident. Their coach has been to a NC game and won. He knows what it takes. He can attack this defense and finish. Their QB is accurate and their receivers and backs are big, fast, and in a bad mood. If their defense can hold or should the O turn up with a Colorado or ISU type effort, this too could be unhealthy. Oregon is a whole other matter and not a worry until these two teams are taken care of.

goingoneight
11/11/2007, 02:32 AM

Ehhh... wrong-o on the CU loss... dropped and tipped passes, some turned into turnover after turnover after turnover did us in, there. The offense managed three turnovers and only seven points in the 2nd half. NTM, Reggie muffed a punt at the worst possible time.

My $.02 is OUr pass-rush is still too inconsistent. You can't expect DBs to look All-American if the quarterback is able to buy in between three full seconds to sometimes seven or eight full seconds to throw. In the words of Dan Hawkins, "this is DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!" If you give a quarterback time to throw on you, he'll throw on you... no matter who your defensive backfield boasts. OUr speed of pursuit has been excellent most of the year... meaning when something happens... we're usually right up on it to keep it from going an additional 80 yards unlike the last two years.

Blue
11/11/2007, 02:37 AM
Quite frankly, Mike Gundy could win 10 games a year with the talent that is at OU and their schedule. You say any other year you'd agree with me? Well that's good because they've looked just like this for 4 years now. There has been absolutely 0 development regardless of position change or hype about potential. how long can this group of coaches live on the potential of their athletes while it goes undeveloped? I don't care what any other team does or does not do. They are of no concern to me. If you want to win a NC then you do the things the other guys won't. And this D is not capable of or unwilling to accomplish that.

Either Kansas or Missouri should strike fear into the hearts of Sooners everywhere. OU has already tipped their hand to Missouri in the only bout of creativity Venables has managed since he took over. Mo moved the ball on their normal soft zone like they weren't even there. God knows what the score would've been had he shown the appalling lack of flexibility he displayed at Colorado and to top it all off they have already given these guys all they could handle. Playing them a second time could be unhealthy. The only advantage we have is Pinkel being notorious for wilting in the spotlight. Kansas is competent, disciplined, and confident. Their coach has been to a NC game and won. He knows what it takes. He can attack this defense and finish. Their QB is accurate and their receivers and backs are big, fast, and in a bad mood. If their defense can hold or should the O turn up with a Colorado or ISU type effort, this too could be unhealthy. Oregon is a whole other matter and not a worry until these two teams are taken care of.

Waaahhh!!!! I'm scared.

You're such a f-ucking chicken little loser a-ss fan.

YOU DON'T PLAY THE GAMES SLICK!

and you probably haven't since pee-wee when you ****ed your pants and mommy took you home during the 3-game playoff.

I would love to sit by you during the game. Your *** would shut up pretty quick.

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 02:43 AM
I refuse to slam any posters like that, but I will say that our D showed a few weaknesses tonight that seem to only show up against weak opponents. We'll be fine agains Tech, the Humpers, and either KU or Missouri.

goingoneight
11/11/2007, 02:46 AM

A-ahem...

2005 = lucky to go 8-4
2006 = fought tremendous adversity and won the BIG 12 with a final record of 11-3/12-2... however you look at the duck-****.
2007 = One bad day on the road short of an undefeated season.

And the notion that Gumby could win 10 games with any talent is ridiculous. You lost all credibility there.

Guess what, Bob has been to four MNC games and won two. Including one of which Mr. Mangino was his understudy. Compare records if you really think there's any discomfort to feel with OUr coaching staff versus theirs. Also of note: Oregon is no different now than they were the last two times we played them.

I agree that the defense needs some work, but hey, the season ain't over, the whole team needs work. The 2000 Sooners' defense didn't boast a single shut-out until that MNC shocker. And people were ready to jump off bridges until Torrance Marshall got a freebie in College Station. Champions fight adversity and take advantage of the little gimmes along the way. If we continue to win, OUr fate as 'champions' will be determined by what gimmes we get and how we deal with them.

Ohio State losing to Illinois would = gimme. Continue to win and you're in good shape.

Texas losing to K-State and aggy last year is a gimme we took advantage of.

Chris Weinke fumbling the ball inside the 20 would be a gimme, also.

See where I'm going with this?

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 02:59 AM
Nice post!

goingoneight
11/11/2007, 03:02 AM
He'll still probably find some out-of-his-arse reason to fire Stoops and predict a 9-5 finish.

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2007, 03:28 AM
nah,,,that'd be retarded!

Blue
11/11/2007, 03:32 AM
I refuse to slam any posters like that,

Being banned aint that heavy, baby.:D

Vaevictis
11/11/2007, 03:38 AM
This team will be obliterated by someone who knows how to finish drives if the offense sputters ala USC. This team will be beaten most of the time by other teams who can score with them ala Boise.

Do you realize that you basically just said, "If you let the other team score at least as many points as you, you're probably going to lose?"

stoopified
11/11/2007, 08:41 AM
I know OU played too much soft zone BUT IMHO that is because they knew they could beat BU without great D.I truly believe that Tumbleweed Tech will see a MUCH more aggressive and hopefully effective defense next Saturday.If nothing else we can beat them the way UT and T.Boone State did and simply OUtscore 'em.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/11/2007, 08:54 AM
1. Auston English didn't play so OUr passrush didn't create as much pressure.

2. The team probably didn't spend the all of their available time working specifically on Baylor due to the talent mismatch. There are some bigger fish to fry looming.

3. Baylor did play very well on offense.

4. How 'bout that Granger oskey in the Red Zone?

freshchris05
11/11/2007, 10:42 AM
that was adrian taylor's oskie if im not mistaken...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/11/2007, 10:46 AM
that was adrian taylor's oskie if im not mistaken...

Oops! My bad.

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 01:02 AM
It seems to me like this team did absolutely no film study versus CU, ISU and now Baylor. If that's the case and we were looking ahead to future opponents, on a year like this... Stoops's gambling hand won again. :eek:

If you watch any replays, you can tell we're physically better than those three opponents, but whenever they do something on offense, it's like we've never seen it before.

soonerboomer93
11/12/2007, 01:58 AM
you guys do realize that due to limited time, the teams prepares less for certain opponents then others. They probably spent last week 1/2 on baylor and the rest on TT.

goingoneight
11/12/2007, 02:00 AM
A-ahem... post #60

It seems to me like this team did absolutely no film study versus CU, ISU and now Baylor. If that's the case and we were looking ahead to future opponents, on a year like this... Stoops's gambling hand won again. :eek:

If you watch any replays, you can tell we're physically better than those three opponents, but whenever they do something on offense, it's like we've never seen it before.

Post #61

you guys do realize that due to limited time, the teams prepares less for certain opponents then others. They probably spent last week 1/2 on baylor and the rest on TT.

;)

SoonerKnight
11/12/2007, 02:24 AM
Personally i think teams try new things against a team like OU. Not everything is going to be on film. A team could be really bad like Baylor and have nothing to lose. Saxet ran for almost 200 yards on TT and threw for almost 300 or more yards. The point being TT has no defense. If they can not stop the run we can kill the clock and win! I am not worried about TT or OSU. We play the cowgirls at home. I think That if we have to play Kansas that is going to be a good game. Their recievers are good but they were running the ball really well saturday. Then they threw at will I was impressed by them. They seemed balanced. They also shut down okie lite pretty easily and that may not be that impressive but they seem to be a good team. Of course okie lite sucks but Kansas showed they came to play. I still think OU will beat them with our defense and our offense will light them up.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2007, 03:10 AM
I'd have to agree. We're gonna kill 'em on both sides of the ball. Does anyone think we didn't spend half of last week preparing for Tech?

SoonerKnight
11/12/2007, 03:46 AM
I'd have to agree. We're gonna kill 'em on both sides of the ball. Does anyone think we didn't spend half of last week preparing for Tech?

Oh I know TT will go down but Leach may be suspended by next Saturday!!! :D I think that is funny!

rhombic21
11/12/2007, 05:58 AM
I am concerned, because Baylor and Tech run pretty similar offensive schemes. I don't buy the "we weren't preparing for Baylor", because Baylor pretty much does the same things that Tech does, and they also do a lot of the things that Missouri does, which we've already seen. I guess you could make an argument that Stoops and Venables didn't want to give Leach an extensive look at what our gameplan was going to be next week, but I'm not buying it.

My basic thoughts on the defense:

- The front 4 has been pretty dominant, particularly when English plays. Lots of pressure, lots of penetration against the run, lots of negative plays created.

- Linebackers are pretty good against the run (Lofton in particular), but struggle in pass coverage. I'm not sure why we continue to depend on these guys to cover so much area over the middle. Going back to the Texas game, we got roasted when we tried to have Lofton and Reynolds cover their TE 25 yards downfield. Almost all of Baylor's big pass plays came on deep post routes over the middle where a linebacker got beat deep and there was no safety help.

- Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker are not playing as well as they did last year. Aren't creating the turnovers that they did, and aren't locking people down in man coverage. Personally, I'm still not sold on Reggie Smith as a cornerback. He was an incredible playmaker at safety, and doesn't seem to be as good at corner. Still not sure why we switched him and Holmes, because I thought Lendy did a pretty solid job at corner last year, when it was his first year at the position.

- DJ Wolfe and Lendy Holmes seem to be playing pretty well, but neither is a dominant playmaker at safety like Reggie Smith was last year. Harris has been solid at his LB/Safety hybrid position, but hasn't made as many big plays as I hoped he would.

From a scheme standpoint, one thing that I don't understand is why, in long yardage passing situations, we don't use our dime package like we used to, where we bring in a sixth defensive back. Remember Brandon Shelby who made a career out of that dime position, and Ontei Jones who dominated from that position in 2000? Seems like Darien Williams is a pretty solid player sitting on the bench over there, and we'd be better off bringing him in and taking Reynolds off the field on third and 8+, and then still go with a 4 man rush up front.

Soonerman08
11/12/2007, 08:42 AM

Wonder how long it will take you trolls to remember that it was Bob himself that called prevent in the Fiesta Bowl, and not Brent? Idiot!

Widescreen
11/12/2007, 09:12 AM
Our biggest opponent this weekend will be "Away", not TTU. Our team plays very differently on the road. Will we get a lead and go into a shell? Will we come out completely flat on offense?

MiccoMacey
11/12/2007, 09:13 AM
Seems like Darien Williams is a pretty solid player sitting on the bench over there, and we'd be better off bringing him in and taking Reynolds off the field on third and 8+, and then still go with a 4 man rush up front.

It was good seeing him in there at the end of the game last week.

Anyone know why he hasn't gotten more playing time since his injury?

SoonerJedi
11/12/2007, 09:23 AM

Oklahoma = #12 in the nation against 3rd down.

MiccoMacey
11/12/2007, 09:56 AM
Oklahoma = #12 in the nation against 3rd down.

Quit using facts and logic. He had a perfectly good rant going until you supplied some truth and perspective.

Noob.

;)

JohnnyMack
11/12/2007, 10:07 AM
Hello Pot.

Heh.

I did watch me some Wizard of Oz last night, actually.

JohnnyMack
11/12/2007, 10:12 AM
Going back to the Texas game, we got roasted when we tried to have Lofton and Reynolds cover their TE 25 yards downfield. Almost all of Baylor's big pass plays came on deep post routes over the middle where a linebacker got beat deep and there was no safety help.

Yeah but that was fixed quite quickly when we moved the LB down over the TE and simply knocked him off his route at the LOS.

richsooner
11/12/2007, 10:39 AM
Some teams play up or down to the comnpetition. Sound familiar?????

richsooner
11/12/2007, 10:41 AM

Maybe they play up or down to their competition....Sound familiar???

Widescreen
11/12/2007, 10:42 AM
Maybe they play up or down to their competition....Sound familiar???
Actually yes, because you just posted the same thing 1 post ago.

OUmillenium
11/12/2007, 10:57 AM
I am concerned, because Baylor and Tech run pretty similar offensive schemes. I don't buy the "we weren't preparing for Baylor", because Baylor pretty much does the same things that Tech does, and they also do a lot of the things that Missouri does, which we've already seen. I guess you could make an argument that Stoops and Venables didn't want to give Leach an extensive look at what our gameplan was going to be next week, but I'm not buying it.

My basic thoughts on the defense:

- The front 4 has been pretty dominant, particularly when English plays. Lots of pressure, lots of penetration against the run, lots of negative plays created.

- Linebackers are pretty good against the run (Lofton in particular), but struggle in pass coverage. I'm not sure why we continue to depend on these guys to cover so much area over the middle. Going back to the Texas game, we got roasted when we tried to have Lofton and Reynolds cover their TE 25 yards downfield. Almost all of Baylor's big pass plays came on deep post routes over the middle where a linebacker got beat deep and there was no safety help.

- Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker are not playing as well as they did last year. Aren't creating the turnovers that they did, and aren't locking people down in man coverage. Personally, I'm still not sold on Reggie Smith as a cornerback. He was an incredible playmaker at safety, and doesn't seem to be as good at corner. Still not sure why we switched him and Holmes, because I thought Lendy did a pretty solid job at corner last year, when it was his first year at the position.

- DJ Wolfe and Lendy Holmes seem to be playing pretty well, but neither is a dominant playmaker at safety like Reggie Smith was last year. Harris has been solid at his LB/Safety hybrid position, but hasn't made as many big plays as I hoped he would.

From a scheme standpoint, one thing that I don't understand is why, in long yardage passing situations, we don't use our dime package like we used to, where we bring in a sixth defensive back. Remember Brandon Shelby who made a career out of that dime position, and Ontei Jones who dominated from that position in 2000? Seems like Darien Williams is a pretty solid player sitting on the bench over there, and we'd be better off bringing him in and taking Reynolds off the field on third and 8+, and then still go with a 4 man rush up front.

Careful, that is sound coaching logic and an attempt at actually adapting our defensive style to the other team instead of the BV "We're not going to change what we do" style.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/12/2007, 11:35 AM
The front 4 has been pretty dominant, particularly when English plays. Lots of pressure, lots of penetration against the run, lots of negative plays created.

while i agree the line has played well, this isn't normally our identity. we have let a ton of OL get to the second level to clamp onto our linebackers. as a fan, when the talking heads talk about weaknesses, look at the other side of the ball. dominant OL and bad DL (or vicey versy) typically results in above average to dominant OL and good to pretty good DL - nothing like getting whipped in practice consistently to spur improvement.

sometimes i feel that lofton is the only linebacker we have on the field. reynolds reminds me of derrick johnson as a freshman - all athleticism - no linebacker skills. this does bode well for the future, but unfortunately, we have to live in the now. baker plays linebacker like a safety - this is both good and bad. on any one play you can rewind it and watch at least one linebacker playing patty cake with a lineman instead of trying to get around him.

one of the bigger issues this year has been that the guys who aren't very good in coverage aren't very good blitzer's either. baker is good at the safe blitz because he is good at knocking down passes while chicken fighting with a lineman. our best blitzers are lendy holmes and auston english. going to your next point, that also used to be the strength of bringing in shelby or ontei - they were incredible blitzers as well as good in coverage.

Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker are not playing as well as they did last year. Aren't creating the turnovers that they did, and aren't locking people down in man coverage. Personally, I'm still not sold on Reggie Smith as a cornerback. He was an incredible playmaker at safety, and doesn't seem to be as good at corner. Still not sure why we switched him and Holmes, because I thought Lendy did a pretty solid job at corner last year, when it was his first year at the position.

marcus plays pretty well for 56 out of 60 plays a game and then just inexplicably falls asleep.

the alignment that makes me cringe is when the opposing OC gets reggie, ryan reynolds, and lendy on the same side. that gives 2 guys (reggie, ryan) trying to jump routes with a safety behind who struggles with positioning.

strangely enough, i think that a lot of it has to do with our QB situation. our guys are pretty good at jumping the initial route, what they are struggling with is the concept that a QB could actually go to his 2nd and 3rd option - something that is very difficult for us to replicate in practice because we don't have a single QB on campus who can consistently make his 2nd and 3rd reads (well, we have heupel).

i agree 100%

TopDawg
11/12/2007, 11:58 AM
our best blitzers are lendy holmes and auston english.

One of my favorite defensive plays so far this year was against A&M. We had 4 down linemen with English lined up over the tackle and Granger (or McCoy) lined up over the guard. About 2 seconds before the snap, English backed out of his stance and Granger (or McCoy) slid outside to be over the tackle. At the snap Granger (or McCoy) took an outside rush, we sent a backer (maybe Holmes) to occupy the guard and English came in right after him and got the sack.

If my details are a little sketchy (IF? :D ) it's because I was watching English the whole time. It reminded me of some blitz packages we used to run with Calmus and Marshall. One of them would blitz and take on a lineman and the other one would come in right behind him untouched. Loved it. But you've gotta be solid everywhere else.

the alignment that makes me cringe is when the opposing OC gets reggie, ryan reynolds, and lendy on the same side. that gives 2 guys (reggie, ryan) trying to jump routes with a safety behind who struggles with positioning.

If Reynolds is out there on 3rd and more than 4, I want to see him blitzing. That would probably be a pretty easy tendency for our opposition to expose, though.

Curly Bill
11/12/2007, 12:10 PM
If Reynolds is out there on 3rd and more than 4, I want to see him blitzing. That would probably be a pretty easy tendency for our opposition to expose, though.

Pretty easy tendency to expose maybe, but not so easy to exploit. There's just something about sending more rushers then the opponent has blockers to handle them. ;)

toneful
11/12/2007, 12:59 PM

that's kinda what KWilson said last night on post game show.

toneful
11/12/2007, 01:02 PM
Our biggest opponent this weekend will be "Away", not TTU. Our team plays very differently on the road. Will we get a lead and go into a shell? Will we come out completely flat on offense?

word

TMcGee86
11/12/2007, 03:09 PM
I think our run game is awesome. The only times we failed was the first 2 possessions and on the 4th down play when we shoulda rolled Sam out with a run, pitch, pass option and we did exactly what they expected and ran Chris brown straight ahead.

Man I thought that was a bad call. I can't stand when we have a 4th and short and we take all guesswork out of the equation by pitching it like that.

I would much rather see a handoff there as that at least keeps the D honest for a split second more watching for the play-action.

JohnnyMack
11/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Man I thought that was a bad call. I can't stand when we have a 4th and short and we take all guesswork out of the equation by pitching it like that.

I would much rather see a handoff there as that at least keeps the D honest for a split second more watching for the play-action.

It didn't help that the right side of our line ended up three yards behind the LOS by the time CB go to the corner.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/12/2007, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=okcusooner]Dear admins

Please bane me with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. QUOTE]

Fixed

TopDawg
11/12/2007, 05:01 PM
Dear admins

Please bane me with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. QUOTE]

Fixed poorly

Fixed.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/12/2007, 05:14 PM

They get no pressure and to boot the LBs don't cover great!! Something needs to change!!!
:eek:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/12/2007, 05:57 PM
Fixed.

Thanks. I suk at teh quotedubteng...

Redgiant2
11/13/2007, 05:57 AM
Waaahhh!!!! I'm scared.

You're such a f-ucking chicken little loser a-ss fan.

YOU DON'T PLAY THE GAMES SLICK!

and you probably haven't since pee-wee when you ****ed your pants and mommy took you home during the 3-game playoff.

I would love to sit by you during the game. Your *** would shut up pretty quick.

And you are either 12 or an idiot. Take your pick.

Redgiant2
11/13/2007, 06:06 AM
A-ahem...

2005 = lucky to go 8-4
2006 = fought tremendous adversity and won the BIG 12 with a final record of 11-3/12-2... however you look at the duck-****.
2007 = One bad day on the road short of an undefeated season.

And the notion that Gumby could win 10 games with any talent is ridiculous. You lost all credibility there.

Guess what, Bob has been to four MNC games and won two. Including one of which Mr. Mangino was his understudy. Compare records if you really think there's any discomfort to feel with OUr coaching staff versus theirs. Also of note: Oregon is no different now than they were the last two times we played them.

I agree that the defense needs some work, but hey, the season ain't over, the whole team needs work. The 2000 Sooners' defense didn't boast a single shut-out until that MNC shocker. And people were ready to jump off bridges until Torrance Marshall got a freebie in College Station. Champions fight adversity and take advantage of the little gimmes along the way. If we continue to win, OUr fate as 'champions' will be determined by what gimmes we get and how we deal with them.

Ohio State losing to Illinois would = gimme. Continue to win and you're in good shape.

Texas losing to K-State and aggy last year is a gimme we took advantage of.

Chris Weinke fumbling the ball inside the 20 would be a gimme, also.

See where I'm going with this?

You say so very much, and yet say so very little. Did you pull the whole "gimme" philosophy from Dan Hawkins website or what? That's very zen like.

Collier11
11/26/2007, 11:50 PM
FYI to all you BV haters, Ou has played 6 of the top 20 offenses in the nation, no one else in the country has played more than three. We are still top 10 in scoring D and top 20 in total D. Food for though, Ohio states mighty #1 D in the nation hasnt played 1 top 20 offense all season!!!