PDA

View Full Version : Dear Joe C, et al.

okienole3
11/10/2007, 01:38 AM
When there is only going to be around 3000 people in attendance at a game, let them all sit in the lower level if they want. I do not understand why the yellow shirt gestapo has to be at every set of stairs down to the lower level, plus at the entrance from the concession stand and ask you for your ticket every time you go somewhere. I do not understand it. I don't know if the Athletic Department doesn't want to get ripped off by people buying cheap tickets and then moving down or if they are just trying to make sure everyone stays in their assigned seats. It us absolutely pathetic.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/10/2007, 02:02 AM
AMEN! You can't go take a leak without getting back in anymore. Why don't they let students in FOR FREE!? I can't stand to look around the crowd and there being so many empty seats near the floor. I wish they could rebuild the field house and make an arena closer to campus that is easier for students to get too.

stoopified
11/10/2007, 08:48 AM
Living 130 miles from Normaneverytime I go to agame I have to get RESTRICTED ADMISSION (SRO).If go sit in the upper level in an empty seat the TICKET GESTAPO doesn't bother me but if yo even LOOK at one of the 2,000 or so empty seatsin the lower level you are toast.I think if you aren't in your seat by 15 minutes after tipoff,your seat should be availible to WHOMEVER wants it.Ain't gonna happen because BIG MONEY talks.

r5TPsooner
11/10/2007, 09:50 AM
Just saw the OU-Denver highlights on TV and I couldn't believe how many empty seats were in the Lloyd Noble Center. I swear it looked as if there were only about 500 fans in attendance.

For OU to not allow fans to get closer to the action in that type of atmosphere is just plain ignorant. At least give the players a sense of fans in the stands.

Geez.

Jeopardude
11/10/2007, 11:30 AM
I knw a few years ago they would announce lower level seats were open sometime in the middle of the first half. Nothing drives me crazier than empty seats in the LE section at the big games.

SleestakSooner
11/10/2007, 03:47 PM
Well we have to set a precedence for the games that are actually sold out... oh wait nm. HEY JOE, SOLD OUT DOES NOT MEAN A DAMN THING UNDER YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM! Find a way to get asses in seats, please stop catering to the the football fans when it comes to basketball seats! TIA

OUstud
11/11/2007, 12:01 AM
I was late arriving to the Denver game and when me and a friend walked down to our seats they didn't check us. There was a guy there but we didn't make eye contact so I guess they let it slide. But when we went to the concessions in the tunnel that leads to the practice facility at the half we got checked by a random yellow guy standing above us on the stairs.

GottaHavePride
11/11/2007, 12:06 AM
I think if you aren't in your seat by 15 minutes after tipoff,your seat should be availible to WHOMEVER wants it.
I think if you aren't there by 10 minutes before tipoff your seat should be fair game. When do tv broadcasts do their big crowd-panning shots? Before tipoff. And students should get in free. And we should let people do wacky stuff like bringing in signs and painting themselves goofy colors without tossing them out of the arena.

SleestakSooner
11/11/2007, 10:40 AM
A friend and I dressed up as Santa Claus a couple of times during games just before Christmas. We ran all over Lloyd Noble passing out candy canes. Nobody ever checked our tickets and we sat where we wanted... alas, those were the good ole days. They have really destroyed the experience of going to OU men's basketball home games since then.

StoopTroup
11/11/2007, 05:24 PM
They have really destroyed the experience of going to OU men's basketball home games since then.

Yep.

It's disgusting.

Everytime I've attended an OU Basketball game it feels like your being treated like a trespasser.

I only get to go to a few OU Basketball Games every year and I don't look forward to them unless they are on the Road or off Campus.

It's really sad.

soonerguild
11/11/2007, 10:43 PM
This shouldn't be an issue anyway. There is no excuse for our bad attendance. Yeah i know that the LNC is a terrible place to watch the game, and that some of the policies suck, and all that stuff but its the sooners regardless and there should be enough people that show up for it to be full. This isn't a pro team where people have to be "entertained" or given a reason to go. They should want to go because its your alma mater. And the price of student tickets isn't why they aren't there. I honestly have no idea why the student section is so empty, but if me and some fellow medical students can find time to make it to the games, you would think others could also.

wheewww, I'm done GO SOONERS

badger
11/11/2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, I bought basketball tickets, so when do I get to buy good football tickets?

It is stupid policies that lead stupid fans to do stupid things, like buy tickets they'll never use.

IDEA: Have fans buy to sport nobody will attend, like golf. NOT basketball.

soonervegas
11/12/2007, 11:04 PM
Joe must read the message boards. He let us tonight.

May I also suggest keeping 1 to 2 games out of the season ticket package and having a lottery for a game or two inside the old field house.

okienole3
11/12/2007, 11:59 PM
Joe must read the message boards. He let us tonight.

May I also suggest keeping 1 to 2 games out of the season ticket package and having a lottery for a game or two inside the old field house.

The yellow shirt gestapo were still out in full force from what I saw. Although, they didn't check my ticket on my way back from the can or the concession stand.

Collier11
11/13/2007, 03:05 PM
okienole3

Just noticed your sig...that is probably one of the most frightening statements I have ever read :D IN a hilarious, yea right your a dweeb kind of way :D

tommieharris91
11/13/2007, 03:31 PM
Students that read this, right now the tickets are $5. Seriously, $5. That's 1 meal. That's maybe 2 gal of gas. That's 2 beers at the bar. It really ain't that much. They're always on sale, usually at the door. Pricing shouldn't have anything to do with going to the games.

Now, I know that some people have meetings or have to study. Some even have class. That really shouldn't be an excuse to not have a full student section. I would think there are enough people here that don't have anything to do on a weeknight that can spare $5 and watch what has been an exciting start to the season.

Collier11
11/13/2007, 03:33 PM
They need to keep the LNC as a graduation hall, use it for meetings or whatever else and build a 8-10k seat field house type gym on campus. Where, I dont know cus it is already so clustered but I think this would help. Never gonna happen but thats what I want.

stoopified
11/13/2007, 04:57 PM
I think if you aren't there by 10 minutes before tipoff your seat should be fair game. When do tv broadcasts do their big crowd-panning shots? Before tipoff. And students should get in free. And we should let people do wacky stuff like bringing in signs and painting themselves goofy colors without tossing them out of the arena.
I agree but I am saying by 10-15 minutes after tipoff at THE VERY LEAST.

ouradu
11/13/2007, 05:00 PM
I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of renovating (hate to say it, but maybe straight up like GIA since there's not a lot of room East and West) the old fieldhouse. I think it would be a much more fun, exciting atmosphere.

badger
11/13/2007, 05:15 PM
They need to keep the LNC as a graduation hall, use it for meetings or whatever else and build a 8-10k seat field house type gym on campus. Where, I dont know cus it is already so clustered but I think this would help. Never gonna happen but thats what I want.
Since it's already a pedestrian mall with no driving traffic (other than golf carts) anyway, they could just expand the Fieldhouse to the stadium. The parking lot off the stadium, as well as the stadium parking garage would make suitable parking (and even if it doesn't, it's not like this issue has ever stopped them from hosting football games before for 85,000).

I think they've invested too much in LNC to just give it up, though. I dislike many of the restricting policies on fandom...

1- Please don't bring signs.
2- Please don't stand.
3- Please don't say anything offensive.
4- Please be quiet.
5- Please sit in your assigned nosebleed seat.

Seriously... do the same thing you do at women's games - provide sign making material, provide a standing section for students and real fans and dang it, encourage cheering!

I do recall that when too many students showed up to a few women's games last year, they were like "Ok, umm.... you can be here, but no standing up, because these are donor seats." Arggggggh...

On second thought, maybe it is time to gut the LNC and redo the thing as follows...

1- Angry loud and boisterous student/rowdy fan box... which you shall call the "Top Dawg Pound," like the Cleveland Browns have. All seating is uncomfortable metal bleachers, and NO RENTING SEATBACKS.

2- Snooty luxury boxes for quiet, attentative fans with very comfortable seating and those little plasma televisions across campus so they can watch the game at the game while not really watching the game at all.

3- Regular seating for when they have kiddie nights... you know, for families and such that don't want to be in the middle of a Sooner riot from the Top Dawg pound. The Horse Pigs can live here.

4- Concessions and restrooms closer to seating. That way, there's not so many empty seats when they aren't really empty!

5- Seating closer to the court. I mean... COME ON!

6- The "D@MMIT, USE YOUR TICKET POLICY" shall be in full effect, so that if you miss a game or your ticket is not used and you do not return it to the athletic ticket office, you receive a strike. You will then be required to take a "fandom education program" course and pay a $50 fine before being allowed to use tickets again. A second offense shall result in another strike, a $75 fine and more mandatory alcoh... I mean... FANDOM education. A third strike shall result in the revocation of football season ticket privileges... yes, football. Lolz

OUstud
11/13/2007, 05:37 PM
I think it's about time we just drop the whole crimzone thing along the sides. It's almost never full, and it's the only thing you see on TV behind the scorers table when it is empty. Just put all the students in the north bowl, lower level only, that way no one's view is blocked and they're all together to distract FT shooters in the second half.

Oh yeah, and no more "clap, clap clap clap yo hands" or Centerfold plxkthx. We have a brand new sound system, let's step it up.

Petro-Sooner
11/13/2007, 07:29 PM
When there is only going to be around 3000 people in attendance at a game, let them all sit in the lower level if they want. I do not understand why the yellow shirt gestapo has to be at every set of stairs down to the lower level, plus at the entrance from the concession stand and ask you for your ticket every time you go somewhere. I do not understand it. I don't know if the Athletic Department doesn't want to get ripped off by people buying cheap tickets and then moving down or if they are just trying to make sure everyone stays in their assigned seats. It us absolutely pathetic.

One of several reasons I stopped going when I was in school.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/feedback/okla-feedback.html

Here we go. We need to all hit the athletic department with hundreds, nay, THOUSANDS of emails with complaints!

Sooner_Havok
11/13/2007, 08:41 PM
First, I will say people who buy season tickets to get more points for better football tickets, then don't show up to basketball games p*sses me off.

But, it is my understanding that you can have as many season tickets in as many different sports, but if those tickets aren't being scanned, you don't receive those points.

SleestakSooner
11/14/2007, 04:18 PM
I remember attending games just after the Lloyd Noble was built, watching guys like David Little and Chuckie Barnett light it up and give the other Big 8 teams a run for their money. Back then we were often lucky to finish the season above .500 in the conference but the house always seemed to be packed regardless.

Now I believe Jeff Capel and his young team can be every bit as good as some of those past teams that filled the seats. So why is it that few people seem interested in attending the games today.

I for one believe it was the change in the donor program that encouraged non-basketball fans to buy basketball tickets anyhow.

Secondarily I believe the game experience for most fans has been overshadowed by elitism and an over zealous security policy.

Joe C. you should put more focus on getting actual hoops fans to purchase the tickets and attend the games and less focus on duping football fans into purchasing basketball tickets and giving in to the desires of wealthy donors and some alumni.

Atmosphere at the games is important to fans and players alike. It really surprises me that OU has such a good home court record when most of the time the home court seems more like a neutral one at best.

It is also discouraging to hear that the women's games are not treated the same way, as if there were some double standard here. I guess if you win and draw the fans then anything goes.

If you are mediocre, giving the few fans (that are still on the bandwagon and want to support their team) what they want or a modicum of respect is not so important.

I do not like being looked at as a criminal or miscreant just because I can't get the court-side seats but would like to relocate there if they aren't being used! This action should be ENCOURAGED not otherwise! If someone comes along with the ticket proving that is their seat, of course a fellow fan is gonna move without an argument. Are people so afraid of confrontations that they can't handle asking someone to move if they are in their seat? <boggle>

this whole thing really just ****es me off the more I think about it! >:(

TopDawg
11/14/2007, 04:59 PM
I think they should allow student groups to have the CrimZone space. Each student group gets to "audition" or apply for the best games and then they have that spot reserved for them for that game. So, for instance, you'd have a fraternity/sorority or maybe Pride members that would get to pack out that section for one home game. Your attendance one year affects your application for the next year (if you rock it out for Alcorn State you might get the OSU or Texas game the next year).

I think that would be bad-arse.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/14/2007, 05:26 PM
I remember attending games just after the Lloyd Noble was built, watching guys like David Little and Chuckie Barnett light it up and give the other Big 8 teams a run for their money. Back then we were often lucky to finish the season above .500 in the conference but the house always seemed to be packed regardless.

Now I believe Jeff Capel and his young team can be every bit as good as some of those past teams that filled the seats. So why is it that few people seem interested in attending the games today.

I for one believe it was the change in the donor program that encouraged non-basketball fans to buy basketball tickets anyhow.

Secondarily I believe the game experience for most fans has been overshadowed by elitism and an over zealous security policy.

Joe C. you should put more focus on getting actual hoops fans to purchase the tickets and attend the games and less focus on duping football fans into purchasing basketball tickets and giving in to the desires of wealthy donors and some alumni.

Atmosphere at the games is important to fans and players alike. It really surprises me that OU has such a good home court record when most of the time the home court seems more like a neutral one at best.

It is also discouraging to hear that the women's games are not treated the same way, as if there were some double standard here. I guess if you win and draw the fans then anything goes.

If you are mediocre, giving the few fans (that are still on the bandwagon and want to support their team) what they want or a modicum of respect is not so important.

I do not like being looked at as a criminal or miscreant just because I can't get the court-side seats but would like to relocate there if they aren't being used! This action should be ENCOURAGED not otherwise! If someone comes along with the ticket proving that is their seat, of course a fellow fan is gonna move without an argument. Are people so afraid of confrontations that they can't handle asking someone to move if they are in their seat? <boggle>

this whole thing really just ****es me off the more I think about it! >:(

You should email this to Joe C.