PDA

View Full Version : Service Station Restaurant in Norman...

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 10:34 PM
...is really good no matter what some of you think...good food...

TopDaugIn2000
11/9/2007, 10:37 PM
the hamburgers are dry

KC//CRIMSON
11/9/2007, 10:38 PM
the hamburgers are dry

you mean like russ's sense of humor? or just plain dry?

TopDaugIn2000
11/9/2007, 10:40 PM
just plain dry.

not in a good way at all.

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 10:41 PM
you mean like russ's sense of humor? or just plain dry?

KC is a Rus groupie/stalker...

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 10:42 PM
just plain dry.

not in a good way at all.

disagree hamburgers are very good...

mdklatt
11/9/2007, 10:43 PM
the hamburgers are dry

Don't forget overpriced.

TopDaugIn2000
11/9/2007, 10:43 PM
you obviously haven't had one of my burgers then

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 10:44 PM
you obviously haven't had one of my burgers then

and that is relevant ???? vis a vis other resturants...

TopDaugIn2000
11/9/2007, 10:46 PM
if you've had one of my burgers, you'd see just how bad service station's really are.

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 10:47 PM
if you've had one of my burgers, you'd see just how bad service station's really are.

...and all other restaurants too ???

TopDaugIn2000
11/9/2007, 10:48 PM
many of them

when I open "Adelia's" diner, you'll see what a REAL burger tastes like.

OUDoc
11/9/2007, 11:00 PM
It must be okay, it's been there for >20 years.

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 11:02 PM
maybe 30 + ...

sooneron
11/9/2007, 11:02 PM
I haven't been there in about 3-4 years. It never totally sucks, but it's nothing to write home about.

mdklatt
11/9/2007, 11:03 PM

Maybe it was better back in the day and has been coasting on reputation for at least 10 years. I'd love to see Gordon Ramsey go all Kitchen Nightmares on that place.

Bloody [bleep] hell.

sooneron
11/9/2007, 11:03 PM
Well over 20.

but numerous owners/management etc...

OUDoc
11/9/2007, 11:16 PM
I think I went there once or twice in the 80's. Never knew anyone else who went there.

Soonerus
11/9/2007, 11:18 PM
Well over 20.

but numerous owners/management etc...

I am only aware of two ownership groups, maybe three in the past 30 years...

sooneron
11/9/2007, 11:20 PM
I am only aware of two ownership groups, maybe three in the past 30 years...
It seemed that every time I went in there, they were apologizing for the issues due to some switch over...

r5TPsooner
11/10/2007, 12:15 AM
I miss the Kettle. Lots of good/drunk memories of grouping the waitresses.

OUAndy1807
11/10/2007, 01:14 AM
BLT w/ avacado is great.

Whet
11/10/2007, 01:40 AM
Is the Service Station Restaurant on the west side of Webster? If so, I kinda remember that place opening up when I was at OU, in the '70s. There was a bar north of there, on the right side of the street, if not for "oldtimer's" I could remember the name. We used to go there to play the new video game they had - Pong.

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 02:27 AM
Is the Service Station Restaurant on the west side of Webster? If so, I kinda remember that place opening up when I was at OU, in the '70s. There was a bar north of there, on the right side of the street, if not for "oldtimer's" I could remember the name. We used to go there to play the new video game they had - Pong.

i'd guess it opened in the late 70's. Crosby's was a place across the street but that was probably later in the early 80's. maybe it was there before, dunno. i think it was an antique store too.

what sooneron said about "apologies for switchover" each of the last few times i've been there (maybe 4 times in the last decade). i always thought it was a decent burger. i went there before the OU-Maryland hoops game with my pops when we crushed the future NCAA champs at the LNC. last time i was there, 2002 season i guess.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 08:35 AM
There was a time when Crosby's pwned Service Station. I want to say around the late 80's.
Hoops was also pretty good.
The original Interurban on Main pretty much pwned all for quite a while.

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 08:45 AM
There was a time when Crosby's pwned Service Station. I want to say around the late 80's.
Hoops was also pretty good.
The original Interurban on Main pretty much pwned all for quite a while.

i remember Hoops. they had the old-timey big wheel/small wheel bicycle for a logo....yellowish color scheme.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 09:11 AM
My folks got faced at Hoops a few times back innaday.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 09:17 AM
Here's a good one. What was the best restaurant in Norman that is no longer?

Crispy's
Luciano's
Hoops
Interurban (before the whole brewery thing)
Denco's
Carol's Kitchen/Restaurant
European Pastry/ PIcasso's in Brookhaven Village
Lovelight
Crosby's
Godfather's
Vito's
Orin's
Cactus Flats
Garfield's (the original incarnation on Main in Carriage Plaza)
Red Parrot
Cocina De Mino

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 09:24 AM
My folks got faced at Hoops a few times back innaday.

mine, Border Crossing. i remember table-full of empty marg glasses circa 1979.

also a lot Willie and Waylon and Jerry Jeff records back then for moms and pops.

the Blue/Red Parrot was another place they used to go and get the drink on. where Cocino de Mino was and some new "urban" type place was last time i was in Norman called Blu or Blue or something. just south of east downtown, don't know the streets anymore.

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 09:30 AM
I miss the Kettle. Lots of good/drunk memories of grouping the waitresses.

on the first point, hell yeah. the Kettle on Lindsey was it.

second point, not sure about whatever i think "grouping" means.

r5TPsooner
11/10/2007, 09:34 AM
on the first point, hell yeah. the Kettle on Lindsey was it.

second point, not sure about whatever i think "grouping" means.

I guess you had to of been there. BTW, is Pinnochio's still open in Norman or has it been gone for sometime. I took a waitress from the Kettle on a date there once and it didn't go well.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 09:59 AM
I don't think Pinocchio's is still in Stubbeman. There may be one over in Brookhaven. I could never figure out how they flew under the Diney corp radar with the copyright infringement of Pinocchio's likeness.

Man, those breadsticks were deadly. If Pinocchio's is gone, there are some cardiologists going out of bidness.

And I added Red Parrot and CDM to the list. Red Parrot was where I had my first lox on a bagel.

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think Pinocchio's is still in Stubbeman. There may be one over in Brookhaven. I could never figure out how they flew under the Diney corp radar with the copyright infringement of Pinocchio's likeness.

those were different time with the Mouse and before "synergy" and copyright and trademarking genomes (it's happening).

And I added Red Parrot and CDM to the list. Red Parrot was where I had my first lox on a bagel.

i think my mom says that (RP) was the first place she had guac, too.

pretty far out stuff. Guac, crazy.

as a food service veteran (hoping i don't violate any non-military for military glad-standing here).....i shudder to think what Pinocchio's "butter" thing was.

trans fat sauce, maybe. ****ing good though.

sooneron
11/10/2007, 11:04 AM
as a food service veteran (hoping i don't violate any non-military for military glad-standing here).....i shudder to think what Pinocchio's "butter" thing was.

trans fat sauce, maybe. ****ing good though.
Nothing better on a hot summer's day- Park the bmx bike in the hallway outside and drop a $1.89 on some sticks. :eek:

They were horribly delicious.:twinkies:

bluedogok
11/10/2007, 11:13 AM
I always liked the subs at Dave's Hole In the Wall on Campus Corner. We went to The Interurban in Norman and Northpark Mall quite often, we knew a bunch of the staff there. I think the Pinocchio's on Robinson is closed and it now a bank or something, the breadsticks were always great.

We used to frequent these places on the list.
Crispy's
Denco's
Orin's

King Crimson
11/10/2007, 11:48 AM
Nothing better on a hot summer's day- Park the bmx bike in the hallway outside and drop a $1.89 on some sticks. :eek:

They were horribly delicious.:twinkies:

was that before or after dropping some quarters on Moon Patrol or Centipede at Odyssey?

when i say trans fat sauce, i mean love. the butter wasn't butter, it better butta.

handcrafted
11/10/2007, 11:56 AM
Man, I miss Crispy's. They had some great food. When it became Champions the quality just started to slide off and the place became sleazier over the years, until it finally packed up and left.

handcrafted
11/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Re: the aforementioned Service Station, been there many times and it's really not bad. Pretty typical.

r5TPsooner
11/10/2007, 12:00 PM
I can't believe that there is still no Jimmy's Egg in Norman. Put one near or on campus and keep it open 24 hours and it would be a gold mine.

Sooner98
11/10/2007, 12:30 PM
Here's a good one. What was the best restaurant in Norman that is no longer?

Crispy's
Luciano's
Hoops
Denco's
Carol's Kitchen/Restaurant
European Pastry/ PIcasso's in Brookhaven Village
Lovelight
Crosby's
Godfather's
Vito's
Orin's
Cactus Flats
Red Parrot
Cocina De Mino

Marco's (Italian restaurant on Flood)
Kendall's (now in Purcell)
Pearl's (seems like they did good business, don't know why they changed to The Islands)

handcrafted
11/10/2007, 12:43 PM
I can answer the question about Pearls. They really weren't doing that well. The place was full on Fri-Sat night, but other times it was virtually empty and they were getting zero lunch traffic. The owners were getting ready to make the big move on the main restaurant from 63rd street to Belle Isle Station, and the new building was gonna suck down a lot of moola, so they couldn't afford to have a store in the red dragging down the books.