PDA

View Full Version : Mutual Fund Performance

mdklatt
11/9/2007, 10:23 AM
How can you tell if a mutual fund's performance figures include the expense ratio? For example, here (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pm?s=VTSMX). Is there a standard meaning for "return"?

usmc-sooner
11/9/2007, 10:26 AM
como se what?

Osce0la
11/9/2007, 10:27 AM
I have no idea...FWIW, I did place a trade on this fund yesterday :D

Osce0la
11/9/2007, 10:28 AM
I could ask my supervisor...but I can't stand that ****er, so you'll just have to hope someone on the board can answer...

Hamhock
11/9/2007, 10:30 AM
How can you tell if a mutual fund's performance figures include the expense ratio? For example, here (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pm?s=VTSMX). Is there a standard meaning for "return"?

i would try using morningstar.com. since you're talking about a vanguard fund, i bet the expenses are pretty darn low and wouldn't change the analysis either way.

mdklatt
11/9/2007, 10:36 AM
i would try using morningstar.com.

I was poking around on there the other day, and it wasn't much help.

since you're talking about a vanguard fund, i bet the expenses are pretty darn low and wouldn't change the analysis either way.

I'm trying to compare Vanguard funds with other funds that have higher expense ratios. The returns are higher--but is that with or without including the higher expense ratio?

Hamhock
11/9/2007, 10:37 AM
I was poking around on there the other day, and it wasn't much help.

I'm trying to compare Vanguard funds with other funds that have higher expense ratios. The returns are higher--but is that with or without including the higher expense ratio?

if you're serious, figure out how to use morningstar. they have great mutual fund comparison capability.

usmc-sooner
11/9/2007, 10:39 AM
I have a vanguard fund but I don't try to figure all that out, I just read the statement they send me every month.

Partial Qualifier
11/9/2007, 11:28 AM
He's asking if the funds expenses (fees, commissions, etc.) are factored into the fund's published performance. Good question; I have no idea. I don't remember ever seeing that mentioned as being included/excluded in the performance figures, morningstar or otherwise

Howzit
11/9/2007, 11:36 AM
Alls I know is I'm gonna become a brazilianair by day trading in mutual funds through my ex-emploeyer's rolled over 401 k.

Veritas
11/9/2007, 11:40 AM
They are not.

mdklatt
11/9/2007, 11:49 AM
They are not.

That's what I always thought, but then I saw this (http://hr.ou.edu/documents/1/retirement/bearnings.pdf). It's a comparison from the OU benefits office of some of the funds we can invest in.

It clearly says at the bottom that these are the net returns after expenses. However, when I compare these numbers to some sales brochures that I got from Fidelity and Vanguard, the returns are the same. I would assume that the sales brochures would not give you the net performance becuase 1) they're sales brochures; 2) they explicitly list the expense ratio.

:confused:

Maybe I should just go find a dart board.

Veritas
11/9/2007, 02:46 PM
It may have changed since I was an SEC/NASD licensed agent (this was a few years back). There was no strict requirement, but most didn't.

StoopTroup
11/9/2007, 03:03 PM
I was an SEC/NASD licensed agent
That sounds painful.

Rogue
11/10/2007, 06:36 AM
So, when you figure out which one, how you gonna buy it? Rather, how would I buy one? Online? Broker? Discount broker? Fidelity.com someone here gave me that site a couple weeks ago and it's pretty good. Nearest agent is 5 hours away though.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/10/2007, 11:43 PM
So, when you figure out which one, how you gonna buy it? Rather, how would I buy one? Online? Broker? Discount broker? Fidelity.com someone here gave me that site a couple weeks ago and it's pretty good. Nearest agent is 5 hours away though..

Set up a Roth IRA.

I recommend Fidelity. My and my wife's Roth IRAs are with Fidelity. I did everything by mail or internet in setting things up. I also set up 529 college savings plans for my two kids with Fidelity.

I recommend Fidelity Export and Multinational Fund. It's done great and should continue to with our growth in exports. Multinationals are whats keeping the U.S. economy going.

also own International small cap opportunities, and International Discovery, Large Cap Stock, Small Cap Independence, and U.S. Equity Index.

Contrafund is my largest holding, but it's closed to new investors.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/poncaparker/ChartWrapperHypoLOF.jpg
Rated 5 stars by Morningstar (highest possible rating)

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 01:18 AM
I have a vanguard fund but I don't try to figure all that out, I just read the statement they send me every month.

Yep, I just look too see if there's more money in the newest statement then was shown on the last one. Any more then that would just hurt my head.

I'm a Janus guy myself.

OklaPony
11/11/2007, 06:23 PM
Here's some info from the Vanguard site:

Fees
12b-1 Fee - None
Account Service Fee - Waived
Purchase Fee - None
Redemption Fee - None

Initial Minimum / Additional Investments
General Account - $3,000 / $100
IRA - $3,000 / $100
UGMAs/UTMAs - $3,000 / $100
Education Savings Account - $2,000 / $100

They claim an expense ration of 0.19%

mdklatt
11/11/2007, 06:27 PM
They claim an expense ration of 0.19%

Depends on the fund.

mdklatt
11/11/2007, 06:29 PM
So, when you figure out which one, how you gonna buy it? Rather, how would I buy one? Online? Broker? Discount broker? Fidelity.com someone here gave me that site a couple weeks ago and it's pretty good. Nearest agent is 5 hours away though.

Don't mess with brokers; buy directly. I know you can do this Vanguard, and I assume you can with Fidelity or anybody else.

mdklatt
11/11/2007, 06:39 PM
I recommend Fidelity Export and Multinational Fund. It's done great and should continue to with our growth in exports.

Maybe in the short term, but according to this (http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#chart5:symbol=fexpx;range=my;compare=vfinx; indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;logsc ale=on;source=undefined) it's underperformed the S&P 500 over the past 10 years or so...but past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Read the prospectus before investing.

Curly Bill
11/11/2007, 07:32 PM
Don't mess with brokers; buy directly. I know you can do this Vanguard, and I assume you can with Fidelity or anybody else.

Probably so, I know you can with Janus. I think most, if not all of them require that they send you a prospectus first, you look that over, fill out the pertinent information, send them a check, you're in business. A lot of this can also be done online.