PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Godfather III suck so bad???

batonrougesooner
11/9/2007, 03:01 AM
Seriously.

I and II were great. III sucked so bad I had to turn it off. I've seen the first two so many times I've lost count but the third I haven't been able to tolerate for more than ten minutes.

Am I alone in this??

Okla-homey
11/9/2007, 07:13 AM
Seriously.

I and II were great. III sucked so bad I had to turn it off. I've seen the first two so many times I've lost count but the third I haven't been able to tolerate for more than ten minutes.

Am I alone in this??

Just when I thought I was out, they dragged me back in!

SoonerStormchaser
11/9/2007, 07:33 AM
Here's the sole reason as to why you think it sucked so bad:
http://gfx.filmweb.pl/n/wtc03.jpg

As for me, other than her, I really liked it...I thought the whole section where people were getting whacked during the opera was AWESOME. On a different note, I saw the guy who played Anthony Corleone in a travelling production of "Phantom of the Opera" in the mid-90's...holee carp does he have a voice!

King Crimson
11/9/2007, 09:01 AM
i don't Sofia sucks in it as bad as people say, at least insofar as it's not a sufficient reason to explain the overall disappointment. the makeup on Pacino in teh final scene is laughable, sad to say.

i think the "badass" version of the Talia Shire character is pretty forced/silly. the scene where Andy Garcia and Sofia hookup is one you can watch a couple times if you ever want to learn to make gnocchi (note marble counter top, fresh pasta people). Joe Montegna is pretty good. Bridget Fonda is hawt but her character is pointless and must have been edited out in some fashion. the scene with Elvis Costello's Pump it Up blasting out of the Sicilian country estate is kinda cool.

TexasLidig8r
11/9/2007, 09:34 AM
Godfather III only came about because of dire financial straits that Coppola was in. In interviews, Coppola has said that he was content with the manner in which GFII ended.. with Michael alone.

When he came on board, Paramount already had a first draft of the script. He had to make substantial revisions to it. The initial revision was done with the understanding that Duval would reprise his role as Tom Hagen and Hagen was to figure prominently in GF III. When Duval refused to participate because of financial reasons, Coppola had to rewrite the script. For some reason known only to God and broccoli, the perpetual sun-tanned man, George Hamilton was brought on to play Hagen's successor.

Then.. Julia Roberts was originally supposed to play the part of Mary Corleone.. but had to drop out because of scheduling issues. After Madonna was turned down (supposedly because of age)...Winona Ryder was original cast and agreed to play the part but dropped out at the last moment. This brought us .. Sofia. (who had very small bit parts in the first two, including, the infant nephew of Michael baptized in the church).

The inclusion of the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of John Paul I (who served for 33 days) and the fall of the Bank Ambrosiano as part of the plot are just too implausible.

It should never have been made.

sooneron
11/9/2007, 09:47 AM
i don't Sofia sucks in it as bad as people say, at least insofar as it's not a sufficient reason to explain the overall disappointment. the makeup on Pacino in teh final scene is laughable, sad to say.

i think the "badass" version of the Talia Shire character is pretty forced/silly. the scene where Andy Garcia and Sofia hookup is one you can watch a couple times if you ever want to learn to make gnocchi (note marble counter top, fresh pasta people). Joe Montegna is pretty good. Bridget Fonda is hawt but her character is pointless and must have been edited out in some fashion. the scene with Elvis Costello's Pump it Up blasting out of the Sicilian country estate is kinda cool.
I pretty much agree with all of this, 'cept it was Peace Love and Understanding, not Pump It Up.

I have heard that A LOT of B Fonda ended up on the floor. Hamilton was a weird choice- no idea why they did that, he didn't suck but you can tell they lessened the role with him playing Consigliere. No WOPs available for Gfather III? I find that hard to believe. Montegna was probably the best part.

MojoRisen
11/9/2007, 10:22 AM
I thought 3 was complicated and although different than the other two if you watch it more than once there are a lot of conspiracy and it was actually complicated and done well.

I prefer the first 2 but 3 was pretty interesting as well.

85Sooner
11/9/2007, 01:34 PM
Here's the sole reason as to why you think it sucked so bad:
http://gfx.filmweb.pl/n/wtc03.jpg

As for me, other than her, I really liked it...I thought the whole section where people were getting whacked during the opera was AWESOME. On a different note, I saw the guy who played Anthony Corleone in a travelling production of "Phantom of the Opera" in the mid-90's...holee carp does he have a voice!

Woulda been better if she did literally:)

85Sooner
11/9/2007, 01:35 PM
I thought 3 was complicated and although different than the other two if you watch it more than once there are a lot of conspiracy and it was actually complicated and done well.

I prefer the first 2 but 3 was pretty interesting as well.

I concur