PDA

View Full Version : KOCO HD Report Card

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2007, 05:54 PM
Is it just me or is everyone getting an extremely poor quality HD broadcast on Cox Channel 705? ABC's OU/tamu game was fuzzy and frustrating and reminded me of looking out those double plastic window thingy's from an airline window seat...

My other HD channels are so clear I am still in shock and awe at the technology, even after a few years. (watch the AT&T from Pebble Beach next year on HD, the blimp shots are nothing less than art.)

My grade: D

IB4OU2
11/8/2007, 05:59 PM
Is it just me or is everyone getting an extremely poor quality HD broadcast on Cox Channel 705? ABC's OU/tamu game was fuzzy and frustrating and reminded me of looking out those double plastic window thingy's from an airline window seat...

My other HD channels are so clear I am still in shock and awe at the technology, even after a few years. (watch the AT&T from Pebble Beach next year on HD, the blimp shots are nothing less than art.)

My grade: D

The OU / eATMe game wasn't broadcast in HD...

SeattleOUstudent
11/8/2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, i was at my parents in Ardmore and noticed that it was not in HD, but they (ABC)were bragging about it being ABC Sports HD yaddayadda.

JohnnyMack
11/8/2007, 06:07 PM
It's not KOCO it's ABC.

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2007, 06:10 PM

Okay, that 'splains a lot...thanks IB.

Now I'm thinking that I can't recall any other games on other networks that weren't broadcast on HD...why would they not do so?

Revised grade: Incomplete

Getem
11/8/2007, 06:10 PM
It wasn't HD in Tulsa either, though.
But even for SD, it was horrible quality

DuSStyBottoms22
11/8/2007, 06:12 PM
The game before it wasn't in HD either, I forgot who was playing though.. a couple of orange teams i believe.

OklaPony
11/8/2007, 07:31 PM
Whether an event is broadcast in HD or not isn't necessarily dependent on the station on which you're watching, although it's possible. The first determining factor is if the truck working the event is HD capable. If it isn't then there will mos def be no hi def.

:D

A buddy of mine works the audio board for several broadcast events and recently took me through a non hi def truck and it was pretty bitchin'. I can't wait to see a state of the art hi def truck.

sooneron
11/8/2007, 10:59 PM
Whether an event is broadcast in HD or not isn't necessarily dependent on the station on which you're watching, although it's possible. The first determining factor is if the truck working the event is HD capable. If it isn't then there will mos def be no hi def.

:D

A buddy of mine works the audio board for several broadcast events and recently took me through a non hi def truck and it was pretty bitchin'. I can't wait to see a state of the art hi def truck.
It's not a lot different, the screens are wider.

bluedogok
11/8/2007, 11:06 PM
ABC/ESPN doesn't have enough HD trucks to broadcast every game in HD so some get stuck in SD. I posted a list of last weeks HD/SD games on ABC/ESPN in a thread somewhere.

Here is all of their games this week, amazing which games get HD and the ones that don't.

Week 11 - November 5th to November 11th (http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/2007/week11.html)

Tuesday, November 6
Central Michigan at W. Michigan ESPN2 HD 6:30pm

Wednesday, November 7
Ohio at Akron ESPN2 HD 6:30pm

Thursday, November 8
Tennessee St. at Samford ESPNU 5:00pm
Louisville at W. Virginia ESPN HD 6:30pm

Friday, November 9
Bowling Green at E. Michigan ESPNU 6:30pm
Rutgers at Army ESPN2 HD 7:00pm

Saturday, November 10
Michigan at Wisconsin ESPN HD 11:00am
Wake Forest at Clemson ESPN2 HD 11:00am
Indiana at Northwestern ESPN Classic 11:00am
Penn St. at Temple ESPNU 11:00am
USF at Syracuse ESPN+ 11:00am
Illinois at Ohio St. ABC HD/ESPN HD 2:30pm
Florida St. at Virginia Tech ABC/ESPN 2:30pm
Arizona St. at UCLA ABC 2:30pm
Texas Tech at Texas ABC 2:30pm
Connecticut at Cincinnati ESPNU 2:30pm
Virginia at Miami (FL) ESPN2 HD 6:15pm
Florida at S. Carolina ESPN HD 6:45pm
Kansas at Oklahoma St. ABC 7:00pm
Boston College at Maryland ABC 7:00pm
USC at California ABC 7:00pm
Louisiana Tech at LSU ESPN+ PPV 7:00pm

OklaPony
11/9/2007, 10:59 AM
It's not a lot different, the screens are wider.
True for the video side (I guess, I'm not much of a video guy) but the multi-channel audio mix is way different and that's what I'm interested in checking out!

r5TPsooner
11/9/2007, 11:12 AM
College football should not be watched in standard def.

Shame on ABC.

soonersn2007
11/9/2007, 11:13 AM
Here in Arkansas, I was remarking how fuzzy the aTm game looked to my friends. It was like TV quality from the '70s, ABC needs to get their shiat together.

Position Limit
11/9/2007, 01:23 PM
even though last week's game was not a high def broadcast, abc sucks anyway when it comes to high def. their hd broadcasts are of the low quality variety compared to cbs, espn, etc.. cbs hd broadcasts of sec night games are the best i've seen. and how on earth does a company the size of abc not have enough trucks to pick up a game in HD? the mind boggles. abc blows. i went out before the season started and bought the caddilac of HD tv's and i had to watch that amateur broadcast last weekend. thanks abc. the above poster is correct, it's like looking out an unwashed airplane window.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/9/2007, 02:51 PM
Position Limit,

Interesting note. Mrs THA and I always comment on the crispness of CBS's SEC broadcasts. Awesome HD. Hell FSN looks better than the ABC HD 'casts. Agree, How can big ole Disney suck at providing HD coverage...

jwlynn64
11/9/2007, 02:57 PM
What you should notice is that every game on ESPN or ESPN2 is shown in HD. Only ABC gets SD. Shouldn't ABC get the HD equipment and ESPN2 SD? Something seems wrong with that scenario.

Jdog
11/9/2007, 03:05 PM
Sounds like you folks need some Direct TV

sooneron
11/9/2007, 03:16 PM
True for the video side (I guess, I'm not much of a video guy) but the multi-channel audio mix is way different and that's what I'm interested in checking out!
Haven't sports been broadcast in 5.1 or the like for a while now?

jwlynn64
11/9/2007, 04:39 PM

Doesn't matter who you have if the original broadcase is in SD.

r5TPsooner
11/9/2007, 04:42 PM
Doesn't matter who you have if the original broadcase is in SD.

Exactly.

soonersn2007
11/9/2007, 06:28 PM
I have Directv and a HD receiver, the broadcast signal just sucked.......for everyone it seems.

Dan Thompson
11/9/2007, 09:24 PM
Cox in Orange County, CA does not broadcast FSN in HD. Hate FSN's camera angles, especially the one with the hand held camera on the ground. They don't switch to the sideline cameras fast enough for me.

bluedogok
11/10/2007, 12:01 AM
I watch the local feeds using the OTA antenna through my HR-20 instead of the satellite, the picture is a little better since there is no compression of the signal. I have noticed that SD broadcasts that originate in HD seem to be crisper than the SD only broadcasts. Must be because a better quality signal is being dumbed down for SD.

r5TPsooner
11/10/2007, 12:10 AM
I have Directv and a HD receiver, the broadcast signal just sucked.......for everyone it seems.

Yep, it was not one of the best games (picture quality) that I've ever seen. I was pretty amazed that a supposed prime time game was not broadcasted in HD.

ABC is quickly losing favor with me.

OklaPony
11/10/2007, 01:08 PM
Haven't sports been broadcast in 5.1 or the like for a while now?
Nope, not all of them.

The particular truck I went through was taping the WPBA Pool tournament at Riverwind a few weeks ago. The ESPN2 broadcast of the tourney was last week and it was neither HD or 5.1.

okiewaker
11/10/2007, 01:17 PM
Here in Arkansas, I was remarking how fuzzy the aTm game looked to my friends. It was like TV quality from the '70s, ABC needs to get their shiat together.

If the Big three would cut the salaries of Leno, Oprah, and Letterman maybe they could buy more HD trucks.:D :D

Triumph
11/10/2007, 03:40 PM
Yea, the picture of this Texas vs. TT game is just horrible.

bluedogok
11/10/2007, 05:42 PM
If the Big three would cut the salaries of Leno, Oprah, and Letterman maybe they could buy more HD trucks.:D :D
Oprah is syndicated, she has her own production company and is not affiliated with any of the major networks for her show.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/10/2007, 06:10 PM

Direct TV ain't got nothing to do with it... Does DTV somehow show an ABC game in HD when Cable doesn't show it and its is a scheduled HD-ABC game?