PDA

View Full Version : Stew Mandel wants to give us a shot at Oregon...

Desert Sapper
11/8/2007, 05:25 PM
...in the Rose Bowl.

I'm with that or with his first possibility of facing them for the MNC. I just want those ducktards on a platter. Especially after all that home-cooking last year. Bastages.

Scenario 1: Oregon and Oklahoma both reach the BCS title game. This one’s the simplest, albeit seemingly unlikely at this point. Basically, both Ohio State and LSU -- the current No. 1 and 2 teams in the BCS standings -- would need to lose a game, while the third-ranked Ducks and fifth-ranked Sooners (which themselves might have to take care of No. 4 Kansas in the Big 12 championship game) would have to win out.

Scenario 2: Oregon wins the Pac-10 but does not finish No. 1 or 2; Oklahoma loses in the Big 12 title game. The Ducks would automatically go to the Rose Bowl, which, if it loses the Buckeyes to the BCS title game, will have first choice of at-large teams to replace them. Ideally, the folks in Pasadena would prefer another Big Ten team, but the only possibility is current No. 12 Michigan (which would be no lock to finish in the top 14 if it loses to Ohio State). Which sounds more appealing to you: A rematch between 11-1 Oregon and a 9-3 Michigan team it already beat 39-7 -- or a potential rematch between the 11-1 Ducks and 11-2 Sooners?

Scenario 3: Oregon wins the Pac-10, Oklahoma wins the Big 12 -- and the brokering begins. By letter of BCS law, the Ducks and Sooners would be sent to separate games: Oregon to the Rose Bowl, Oklahoma to the Fiesta Bowl. Listed at the very end of the BCS’ official “selection policies and procedures,” (http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility) however, is a convenient, intentionally vague clause that’s been sitting there for nine years but never previously invoked. It basically says that after all the teams have been selected and slotted, BCS officials can “adjust the pairings…” if, “alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans.”

swardboy
11/8/2007, 05:29 PM
I'll take Scenario 1 ....Oh yeah, Duck is going down.

EnidHighSooner
11/8/2007, 05:36 PM
I'm just a bit worried of winning out. We have to face a pretty good TTech team away, at night. Hopefully our coaches and players will know how big of game that will be and prepare properly, our secondary will need to be playing good, and hopefully English will be healthy by then. I am not at all worried about Oklahoma State at home, look at their defense.......... There offense mostly relies on their running game, but look what are runnning defense did to A&M. We have them at home and I think we should beat them by more than 20. Now I would def. want to play Kansas in the Big 12 Championship, they are an ok team, but maybe half as good as OU. A rematch with Mizzery would be a very hard game , but still I think we would come out on top. Hopefully the team can get in sync against baylor get there skills together and be read for TTech. I still think we have a good chance of getting in the National Championship.

Redshirt
11/8/2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, but what does Howie Mandel think?

stoopified
11/8/2007, 06:20 PM
I'd like a shot at making duck soupIf we can't get in the BCS title game.

sooner518
11/8/2007, 06:59 PM
Scenario 3 is kinda odd sounding... The BCs can just move teams around if they feel like it?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2007, 07:06 PM
I could care less about playing Oregon again. What else do we have to prove with them?

I want to play a team we have not played before/or a long time if we arent in the title game. Really would like a WV or Georgia game

MamaMia
11/8/2007, 07:14 PM
I think we could beat Ohio State.

SoonerMom2
11/8/2007, 07:37 PM
LOL!!! I knew the Rose Bowl Committee was going to freak out seeing West Virginia slated for the Rose Bowl if tOSU gets in the National Championship game. I saw that on CBS Sportsline and burst out laughing. Something about WVU in the Rose Bowl cracks me up. We used to live in SoCal and would love to see the residents of Pasadena be told that the team in the Rose Bowl was the Mountaineers from West Virginia!

FlatheadSooner
11/8/2007, 08:51 PM
LOL!!! I knew the Rose Bowl Committee was going to freak out seeing West Virginia slated for the Rose Bowl if tOSU gets in the National Championship game. I saw that on CBS Sportsline and burst out laughing. Something about WVU in the Rose Bowl cracks me up. We used to live in SoCal and would love to see the residents of Pasadena be told that the team in the Rose Bowl was the Mountaineers from West Virginia!

I lived in Charleston, WV for 3 years and would love for Mountaineers to go somewhere like Rose Bowl. They are a pretty solid team now and the Cali's need to get over themselves.

From one F'in Hillbilly to the original F'in Hillbillies!

kevpks
11/9/2007, 01:14 AM
I remember how pretentious some people (like Keith Jackson) were when we went to the Rose Bowl. I hope they somehow get stuck with UConn vs. Hawaii.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2007, 01:28 AM
I don't give a crap who we play...we need to win out and watch some other teams lose and go to the Championship Game.

But wow...if it could be Oregon!

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2007, 07:03 AM
Scenario 3 is kinda odd sounding... The BCs can just move teams around if they feel like it?

Yeah, I don't see either the Fiesta or Rose Bowl committees agreeing to be stuck with West Virginia-Hawaii while the other gets Oklahoma-Oregon.

Ground_Attack
11/9/2007, 07:42 AM
I lived in Charleston, WV for 3 years and would love for Mountaineers to go somewhere like Rose Bowl. They are a pretty solid team now and the Cali's need to get over themselves.

They'd have already lost 3 games if they played real teams.

handcrafted
11/9/2007, 08:25 AM
Duck revenge would be sweet, however...if we were to play tOSU, think of how many times we would get to see The Kick replayed on national TV during the hype weeks? :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/9/2007, 09:19 AM
I remember how pretentious some people (like Keith Jackson) were when we went to the Rose Bowl. I hope they somehow get stuck with UConn vs. Hawaii.

Agree. That would be perfect.

r5TPsooner
11/9/2007, 11:15 AM

Heh, lowest rated Bowl game ever surpassing the Bluebonnet Bowl.

TexasEx4OU
11/9/2007, 11:24 AM
I think anyone with a hint of team speed could beat Ohio State.

I agree.

soonersn2007
11/9/2007, 06:35 PM
I see alot of scenarios for revenge against teams regardless of the final outcome.............I have stopped worrying about what others might do and I'm focusing on us winning out.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/9/2007, 06:50 PM
I don't give a crap who we play...we need to win out and watch some other teams lose and go to the Championship Game.

But wow...if it could be Oregon!

That's what I'm screamin' forget who, let's just kill everbody left and beat the h*ll out of Kansas in San Antonio!!!!

Dan Thompson
11/9/2007, 09:05 PM
I've never had Peking Duck, maybe it's time.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2007, 09:05 PM
I must admit I don't understand all the hatin' on the ducks. I remember OU playing them 3 times recently and beating them every time on the field, but one win reversed in the replay booth. But that's not UO's fault and the Sooners would have played on if given a similar zebra gift. And the ducks did us a big favor by beatin' USC this year - you have to think long term and USC will be an annual problem while the Ducks are just a temporary BCS foe. I don't even think they will finish above OU this year.

Long winded, but in summary I'd like to play someone else. An undefeated OSU for all the marbles of course, but West Virginia or ASU would be interesting.