PDA

View Full Version : Leach to UCLA rumor

swardboy
11/8/2007, 01:54 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/college#1

One coach who is not on the hot seat but could find himself with employment options outside the Big 12 is Texas Tech's Mike Leach. Leach has flirted with other jobs in the past, including an interview for the University of Miami job last offseason, and there is speculation Pirate Mike could be a candidate if Karl Dorrell is fired at UCLA. Leach, who is from California and went to law school at Pepperdine, is believed to have interest in returning to the West Coast. In 2006, he signed a new five-year contract that reportedly will pay him $10 million if he remains at Tech through 2010. -- Houston Chronicle

StoopTroup
11/8/2007, 01:56 PM
He's gonna be expensive.

Widescreen
11/8/2007, 02:11 PM
Good for him. Bad for Sand Aggie.

JohnnyMack
11/8/2007, 02:18 PM
Hope he gets it.

crawfish
11/8/2007, 02:18 PM
Good fit.

lithium
11/8/2007, 02:20 PM
I think it makes perfect sense for him. Better school, better athletes and better chance of winning big. He deserves to coach in big time program.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/8/2007, 02:22 PM
Anything to suck recruits away from suc and put pressure on Petey is a good fit.

StoopTroup
11/8/2007, 02:22 PM
I saw the Pepperdine Campus when I was 19.

That place was really pretty.

I forgot ML went to Law School there.

http://www.newheart.org/Welcome_files/pepperdine.jpg

fadada1
11/8/2007, 02:25 PM

so he's going to ucla or pepperdine??

now i'm confused.

is he going to be the new water polo coach???

;)

adoniijahsooner
11/8/2007, 02:25 PM
Man, can you imagine leach's offense with those west coast quarterbacks, and talented wide receivers? I would not want to face them on a yearly basis.

NYC Poke
11/8/2007, 02:29 PM
Good move for both of them. Defense is optional in the Pac-10.

Maybe we should switch conferences?

fadada1
11/8/2007, 02:40 PM
Maybe we should switch conferences?
WE have to assume you mean YOU.

remember which message board you're posting on:D :D :D

and how does a poke find NYC??? you from up here??? i'm from (and back in) rochester. went to OU. i confused a lot of the northern folk up here by not going to a SUNY school.

Texas Golfer
11/8/2007, 02:42 PM
Also in that link:

Stoops: Sooners Gresham is amazing
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admits Jermaine Gresham's physical tools are unique. "Nothing like that guy. Just the power and the strength he has is amazing. The feet he has is amazing," Stoops said. "We can run our gassers and conditioning drills out there over and over and the guy never gets tired. There's a lot to him, for sure. And he's got great hands." Last time Stoops talked about a player in those terms, he was talking about Adrian Peterson. Watching Gresham play validates the raves. He has a team-leading 10 touchdown receptions. His 366 receiving yards trail only wide receivers Juaquin Iglesais (676) and Malcolm Kelly (613). -- Norman Transcript

Curly Bill
11/8/2007, 03:01 PM
Wasn't there a thread where someone didn't like the term gassers? Wonder if they think it's OK if Stoops uses it? :D

EnidHighSooner
11/8/2007, 03:06 PM
Jermaine is a BEAST.

handcrafted
11/8/2007, 03:06 PM
The Pepperdine campus ain't so purdy now, after the fires...

In any case, I agree wid' y'all. Good fit. Cali athletes have mean skillz, perfect for the Leach-bone O, defense optional. He'll hang half a hundred on just about every team he faces. I'd bet all of my vCash he'd win a Pac-10 championship inside of 3 years.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/8/2007, 03:08 PM
Good move for both of them. Defense is optional in the Pac-10.

Maybe we should switch conferences?Why yes, YES, you should!

cheezyq
11/8/2007, 03:21 PM
Why yes, YES, you should!

Yes. And they'd be the best team in the Pac-10, too, since they'd win battles against USC for recruits with their awesomer fasillitees.

SoonerWally
11/8/2007, 03:31 PM
Also wouldn't be too much of a transition to go from the cheating refs in Lubbock to the cheating refs in the Pac 10.

Mac94
11/8/2007, 04:12 PM
Well ... Leach is a pirate, and every pirate should be by the ocean. ARRRRGGGHHHH. ;)

Spanish Sooner
11/8/2007, 04:15 PM
Pepperdine and OU also have a connection as far as administration goes/went...anyone wanna guess what its

sorry not sports related but just curious if anyone knows(and it has nothing to do with Leach)

Flagstaffsooner
11/8/2007, 04:15 PM
He's gonna be expensive.UCLA is not known to be a big spender.

NYC Poke
11/8/2007, 04:36 PM
UCLA is not known to be a big spender.

No wonder they get out-recruited by USC.

swardboy
11/8/2007, 05:01 PM
Pepperdine and OU also have a connection as far as administration goes/went...anyone wanna guess what its

sorry not sports related but just curious if anyone knows(and it has nothing to do with Leach)
Bill Banowski....former OU pres....former Church of Christ preacher from Lubbock, TX (close to a Leach connection)...and former pres. of Pepperdine, a church of christ school.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Leach was a student there contemporaneous with Banowsky?

hellogoodbye
11/8/2007, 05:22 PM
he is a fine fellow. good luck to him

Spanish Sooner
11/8/2007, 06:06 PM
Bill Banowsky....former OU pres....former Church of Christ preacher from Lubbock, TX (close to a Leach connection)...and former pres. of Pepperdine, a church of christ school.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Leach was a student there contemporaneous with Banowsky?

Wow, I'm surprised you even got the Lubbock connection, but riddle me(or answer me this) what is the connection between Pres. Banowsky and Conference USA

SoCal
11/8/2007, 06:27 PM
Dan Guerrero, the UCLA AD, Q and A...

Dorrell is one of only five black head football coaches in Division I-A. Why are there so few black head football coaches, and what can be done to change that?

There are exceptional African-American football coaches ready to take the next step and lead their own teams. These coaches are paying their dues by coaching effectively, developing networks, and honing their skills for the opportunity to be given a chance. The question is, how many athletic directors and university presidents have the courage to hire an unproven but promising African-American head coach?

I am encouraged by what I see at the conference and NCAA levels. Increased efforts are being made to enhance networking opportunities by hooking up minority coaches with athletic directors throughout the country, and workshops are being conducted to teach coaches how to optimize their candidacies for future positions. The Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee of the NCAA and the Minority Opportunities Athletic Association, now affiliated with NACDA, have continued their efforts to create awareness and provide programs and resources for minorities in intercollegiate athletics. And Richard Lapchick's National Consortium for Academics and Sports continues to serve as the conscience of our business practices.

All of this is positive. But until athletic directors and university presidents make a greater effort to recognize and identify the minority talent pool, and ultimately demonstrate the courage to provide the opportunity, we will not realize a major deviation from our current number of African-American head coaches.

As a minority, I possess a unique sensitivity to this issue and an understanding of the challenges facing minorities as they work their way up the ladder. I appreciate the struggle and feel that in some respects it can give a person a competitive edge. A person in a minority position often feels the need to "prove" themselves, not just once, but continuously. They develop survival instincts, and coupled with outstanding coaching acumen, that can result in a very positive outcome.

As a Hispanic athletic director, do you feel that same need to continually prove yourself?

In a way, I guess I do. I've been in this business for almost 25 years, and I can count on one hand the number of Hispanic administrators I've known. I believe that makes the fact that I now have the opportunity to be the steward of one of the most prestigious intercollegiate athletic programs in the country very significant. It's important that I succeed in this position. There are a lot of eyes on me, and I welcome that. I take it very seriously.

My success provides validation for anyone who happens to be a minority. I hope it gives young people the chance to see a person who perhaps looks like them shining in his profession. I find the responsibility of representing my culture very rewarding and very humbling.

I'm not sure if Leach will be his man.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2007, 06:32 PM
Why would Leach leave a school were 6-8 wins every year are enough. They guy hasnt won the division once, but you never hear of that guy being on a hot seat. He could keep that job forever.

Personally, I d love to see him take Arkansas job..Leach in the SEC would be a square peg in a round hole

mdklatt
11/8/2007, 06:40 PM
Why would Leach leave a school were 6-8 wins every year are enough. They guy hasnt won the division once, but you never hear of that guy being on a hot seat. He could keep that job forever.

I get the impression that UCLA is more of basketball school, so I think there wouldn't be much pressure there. The problem Dorell has is that his teams have been flaky. They can beat USC one week and lose to Utah the next. A coach that can beat who they're supposed to beat, upset some better teams here and there, and avoid embarassing upsets should be okay. But it's gotta be easier to recruit to UCLA than Lubbock. Imagine a Leach offense with some top-tier defensive players to back it up. He might be able to blow the doors off at a bigger program.

Leach in the SEC would be a square peg in a round hole

This? Would be AWESOME. :D

sendbaht
11/8/2007, 06:42 PM
Growing up here in Southren California I have always liked UCLA unless they are playing my Sooners. But this would be more then cool. Hope he gets the job!!!!!!

swardboy
11/8/2007, 07:27 PM
Dan Guerrero, the UCLA AD, Q and A...

Dorrell is one of only five black head football coaches in Division I-A. Why are there so few black head football coaches, and what can be done to change that?

There are exceptional African-American football coaches ready to take the next step and lead their own teams. These coaches are paying their dues by coaching effectively, developing networks, and honing their skills for the opportunity to be given a chance. The question is, how many athletic directors and university presidents have the courage to hire an unproven but promising African-American head coach?

I am encouraged by what I see at the conference and NCAA levels. Increased efforts are being made to enhance networking opportunities by hooking up minority coaches with athletic directors throughout the country, and workshops are being conducted to teach coaches how to optimize their candidacies for future positions. The Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee of the NCAA and the Minority Opportunities Athletic Association, now affiliated with NACDA, have continued their efforts to create awareness and provide programs and resources for minorities in intercollegiate athletics. And Richard Lapchick's National Consortium for Academics and Sports continues to serve as the conscience of our business practices.

All of this is positive. But until athletic directors and university presidents make a greater effort to recognize and identify the minority talent pool, and ultimately demonstrate the courage to provide the opportunity, we will not realize a major deviation from our current number of African-American head coaches.

As a minority, I possess a unique sensitivity to this issue and an understanding of the challenges facing minorities as they work their way up the ladder. I appreciate the struggle and feel that in some respects it can give a person a competitive edge. A person in a minority position often feels the need to "prove" themselves, not just once, but continuously. They develop survival instincts, and coupled with outstanding coaching acumen, that can result in a very positive outcome.

As a Hispanic athletic director, do you feel that same need to continually prove yourself?

In a way, I guess I do. I've been in this business for almost 25 years, and I can count on one hand the number of Hispanic administrators I've known. I believe that makes the fact that I now have the opportunity to be the steward of one of the most prestigious intercollegiate athletic programs in the country very significant. It's important that I succeed in this position. There are a lot of eyes on me, and I welcome that. I take it very seriously.

My success provides validation for anyone who happens to be a minority. I hope it gives young people the chance to see a person who perhaps looks like them shining in his profession. I find the responsibility of representing my culture very rewarding and very humbling.

I'm not sure if Leach will be his man.

Wins and losses, man....it all comes down to wins and losses....That IS color blind.

swardboy
11/8/2007, 07:37 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you even got the Lubbock connection, but riddle me(or answer me this) what is the connection between Pres. Banowsky and Conference USA

No idea.

bluedogok
11/8/2007, 10:46 PM
Isn't Banowsky's son the head of Conference USA or something like that?

sooneron
11/8/2007, 10:55 PM
Isn't Banowsky's son the head of Conference USA or something like that?
Baxter? Sheesh! I remember him when he was a Beta at OU.

Spanish Sooner
11/8/2007, 11:02 PM
Baxter? Sheesh! I remember him when he was a Beta at OU.

Actually my Uncle Britton is the CUSA commish, and Bill Jr was the beta(I believe) but maybe my uncle Bax pledged, dunno

badger
11/8/2007, 11:04 PM
UCLA is not known to be a big spender.
unless it relates to basketball, that is :D

they know what the alums want, and the alums are clamoring for another football championship... they want BASKETBALL and they WANT BASKETBALL NOW, D@MMIT!!!1!

...of course, now that there's the one-and-done rule for ncaa basketball, that likely won't happen unless they can get freshmen studs like usc is

sooneron
11/8/2007, 11:10 PM
Actually my Uncle Britton is the CUSA commish, and Bill Jr was the beta(I believe) but maybe my uncle Bax pledged, dunno
I can't remember who it was but I used to hang out at the Beta house in HS. I lived around the corner, so us neighborhood kids would use their basketball court. One of them, took me to get my ear pierced around 83. I think it was Baxter. I also remember him throwing up from the third floor window and some member said, "Yep, that's Banowski's kid!" :D

texas bandman
11/8/2007, 11:20 PM
If Leach goes to UCLA then I won't have to listen to him whine after each loss. That's the worst part of living in Lubbock! He really needs to learn how to handle the press a little better. He should take some instruction from Bob Knight. Coach Knight really keeps things interesting around here.

sooneron
11/8/2007, 11:22 PM
Coach Knight is a doosh. YWIA

Spanish Sooner
11/8/2007, 11:25 PM
I can't remember who it was but I used to hang out at the Beta house in HS. I lived around the corner, so us neighborhood kids would use their basketball court. One of them, took me to get my ear pierced around 83. I think it was Baxter. I also remember him throwing up from the third floor window and some member said, "Yep, that's Banowski's kid!" :D

Ya, I really don't ask my uncle and my dad about their college days, aint none of my business...but ya, don't really talk about my sooner lineage much, don't like showing off. But ya, I'm Banowsky through and through, (though go by Will not Bill, already enough Bill Banowskys in the world)

sooneron
11/8/2007, 11:30 PM
Ya, I really don't ask my uncle and my dad about their college days, aint none of my business...but ya, don't really talk about my sooner lineage much, don't like showing off. But ya, I'm Banowsky through and through, (though go by Will not Bill, already enough Bill Banowskys in the world)
Heh. How old are you?
I'm still pretty sure it was Baxter.

sammmo
11/9/2007, 12:45 AM
I loved how his style matched up up with cal - give him a better recruiting platform and defensive coordinator and the pac 10 would get a nice shake-up

rainiersooner
11/9/2007, 01:35 AM

http://www.newheart.org/Welcome_files/pepperdine.jpg

I went there...it's a freakin' country club. Best damn years of my life I tell ya!