PDA

View Full Version : Are all Sportswriters...

Blue
11/8/2007, 03:00 AM
non-athletic, condescending, self righteous d-bags and dorks?

Examples: Skip Bayless, Jay Mariotti, Woody Page, JA Adande, Michael Smith, Max Kellerman, John Saraceno, Rick Reilly, Christine Brennan, Matt Hayes, Mike ******, John Saunders, Bob Ryan, Tony Kornheiser, Geeky USC homer from Around the Horn....should I go on?

Am I wrong?

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 03:01 AM
Nope...You are absolutely correct!

snp
11/8/2007, 03:20 AM
John Saunders was a scholarship hockey player at Western Michigan. Thank you for that info, Tuesday night MAC football.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2007, 03:29 AM
They maybe drunks too and that could explain a lot! :D

StoopTroup
11/8/2007, 07:32 AM
They've got pressures man....

Pressures you just wouldn't understand....

:D

cheezyq
11/8/2007, 08:49 AM
I'd switch out Michael Smith with Mark May...only on the premise that Michael Smith actually was a former athlete. He was a DB for the Raiders and Saints. He's still an idiot, but at least he can say he's played before.

soonerchick28
11/8/2007, 08:58 AM
I'd switch out Michael Smith with Mark May...only on the premise that Michael Smith actually was a former athlete. He was a DB for the Raiders and Saints. He's still an idiot, but at least he can say he's played before.

Mark May was a pretty good player back in the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_May

cheezyq
11/8/2007, 09:38 AM
Mark May was a pretty good player back in the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_May

Good point, but I still can't stand him. Even on the rare occasion he isn't lovin' up USC, he just annoys the heck outta me.

StoopTroup
11/8/2007, 09:44 AM
May just makes me agitated even if I have the sound down on the TV.

It's just something about his body language that screams "Yes...your lucky I'm here."

sooneron
11/8/2007, 09:50 AM
Reilly prolly shouldn't be on that list. He actually has some talent at what he does.

sooneron
11/8/2007, 09:52 AM
You forgot Stephen A.

I get to listen to him on the radio, still beats Traber and Eschback and Humphries and ....

StoopTroup
11/8/2007, 09:52 AM
I agree with you on that Ron...

Reilly has some pretty good articles...some of them are timeless matter of fact.

At least...that's my opinion....

sooneron
11/8/2007, 09:57 AM
I agree with you on that Ron...

You,

are like a genius or something.

Widescreen
11/8/2007, 10:46 AM
Yes, a genius. Except that your name's not Ron. :P

usmc-sooner
11/8/2007, 10:54 AM
Steven A. is Irkle with an attitude

Skip and Humphries are idiots.

This morning on ESPN Skip is on there saying the QB from tOSU should win the Heisman. He also called AD mentally and physically fragile

Also Berry Trammel said that the only people that could stop AD was Bob Stoops, Chuck Lung and Kevin Wilson

all of them are just trying to say something funny or shocking hoping it gets them an audience.

Widescreen
11/8/2007, 10:56 AM
You can make a (tenuous) case for AD being physically fragile. But mentally fragile? What does that even mean? That guy's a rock. These people sometimes say crap just to rile people up. I can't possibly see how they could believe everything that oozes out of their mouths.

sooneron
11/8/2007, 10:56 AM
Steven A. is Irkle with an attitude

Skip and Humphries are idiots.

This morning on ESPN Skip is on there saying the QB from tOSU should win the Heisman. He also called AD mentally and physically fragile
I honestly think that if I were ever to meet Bayless, I would have to be restrained from kicking his ***. Something about his voice, face, hair and what he's saying that just makes me want to punch him repeatedly.

Grimey
11/8/2007, 11:26 AM
How about the dooshes that can't restrain themselves from putting politics on the sportspages? Jim Caple on ESPN.com can't go one column without slamming Bush or Cheney or Republicans or rednecks in "Flyover country'.

In his article on Clay Bennett, he manages to take shots at Oklahomans, Swiftboat veterans and Halliburton. And it's like that in every column. I can't read him anymore. When I want to read political analysis, I don't look to ESPN.

usmc-sooner
11/8/2007, 11:36 AM
How about the dooshes that can't restrain themselves from putting politics on the sportspages? Jim Caple on ESPN.com can't go one column without slamming Bush or Cheney or Republicans or rednecks in "Flyover country'.

In his article on Clay Bennett, he manages to take shots at Oklahomans, Swiftboat veterans and Halliburton. And it's like that in every column. I can't read him anymore. When I want to read political analysis, I don't look to ESPN.

agreed

one article before last season one of the Oklahoma media guys was interviewing a OU football player and out of nowhere he asks What do you think of the situation in the middle east?

Curly Bill
11/8/2007, 11:57 AM
To paraphrase Bob Knight and his view on sportswriters: We learn to write in 1st grade, most of us move on.

tommieharris91
11/8/2007, 01:40 PM
There is a 73/43 chance you people have left off Dean Blevins.

The only guys I don't agree with on that list are John Saunders and Michael Smith. Smith usually has good points, and his writing never below average (that doesn't mean he consistently writes outstanding articles). John Saunders isn't really an analyst/commentator, he usually just does play-by-play and anchor work for football.

I haven't watched ESPN firsttake or whatever they call it since Bayless said Kyle Orton should have replaced Rex Grossman at QB for the Chicago Bears.

There's no mention of Jenni Carlson here either.

Nowhere.

At all.

handcrafted
11/8/2007, 01:50 PM
Skip Bayless =
http://tinkers-emporium.com/images/Sm.%20for%20sale/Dremel%20Tool.jpg

Scott D
11/8/2007, 01:50 PM
Also, Saunders who is a top notch guy, isn't really a sportswriter. He's always been a sportscaster. I remember watching him for years on Channel 2 in Baltimore well before he joined up with ESPN. Only night I didn't watch Saunders do the sports on the news was when it was the George Michael Sports Machine on Sunday night in DC.