Mark my words..... LSU will win out!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2007, 02:20 PM
Matt Hayes
Profile | SportingBlog | Archive | E-mail Hayes

LSU's mistakes will catch up with them
E-MAIL Print Comments 54
Posted: November 6, 2007

He walked in with a game ball in his hands and huge win in his pocket. And then, with one deep breath, explained the fortunes of the nation's most talented -- and at this point, puzzling -- team after yet another all-too-close victory.

"We haven't distanced ourselves," LSU coach Miles said, "because of the mistakes."

Let me further explain: Smart teams beat stupid teams. There is no nice way to say it.

LSU is not a smart team.

So no matter how good it looks after last week's thrilling win over Alabama, no matter how close the BCS national title game is for the suddenly back-on-track Tigers, trouble is looming. We're more than two months into the season, and we still have no idea which LSU team will show up each week.

The team that destroyed Virginia Tech or the team that threw away the Kentucky game? The team that orchestrated come-from-behind wins over Florida and Auburn or the team that did everything it could to give Alabama a game it had no business being in?

"There are times," Miles said, "when we can't get out of our own way."

Three times against the Tide, LSU mistakes were followed immediately by big-play Alabama touchdowns :

• A roughing the quarterback call on end Tyson Jackson extended a Tide drive and led to -- on the next play -- a 67-yard touchdown pass.

• An interception of quarterback Matt Flynn -- he threw wildly off his back foot while rolling out -- was returned 51 yards. An additional 15 yards were tacked on for a personal foul at the end of the return. Two plays later, Alabama scored on a 29-yard pass.

• A botched trick shift on fourth-and-inches led to a 5-yard procedure penalty. Tackle Carnell Stewart argued the call and got another 15 yards added on for a personal foul. Instead of punting from their 36, the Tigers punted from the 16, and the short punt allowed a quick return for a 61-yard touchdown.

"Sometimes you see that stuff and you wonder how it happens," says LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. "We're smarter than that."

Numbers tell a different story. In LSU's only loss this season, at Kentucky, the Tigers had 12 penalties for 103 yards and a dropped touchdown pass that would've put the game out of reach in the third quarter. Against Alabama, they committed 14 penalties for 130 yards and Flynn threw three ugly interceptions that Alabama converted into 10 points.

Elite teams -- championship teams -- don't make those mistakes. And they certainly don't make them over and over this late in the season. Miles says things will be corrected, but by this point, teams have developed personalities, and there's no simple way to bring about behavior change.

Basically, you are what you are.

"The deeper they go into the season," says one SEC coach, "the harder it is to change or correct."

Translation: Rivalry games at Mississippi and against Arkansas won't be so easy, especially with the BCS beauty pageant weighing heavily on the Tigers each week. Then there's the SEC Championship game -- on a neutral field, without the comforting backdrop of Tiger Stadium -- against a team LSU hasn't faced (Georgia or Tennessee) or a team it should have lost to (Florida).

The heavy lifting has just begun for LSU. Better teams have crumbled under the enormity of it all. Worse teams have won championships.

Miles hugged that ball all the way through the postgame celebration. The team presented him the game ball because of the win against LSU's former coach, Nick Saban and because of the way it played out.

"I told them that's the last gift they will give this season," Miles says.

Smart teams beat stupid teams.

There is no nice way to say it.

Matt Hayes is a staff writer for Sporting News. You can e-mail him at [email protected].

man00
11/7/2007, 02:21 PM
LSU... as I said since 2nd game will win it all.

soonerhillbilly
11/7/2007, 02:44 PM
Sorry Johnny on the Spot, LSU won't "win it all". If LSUr wins all up to the Ark game, Ark will beat LSU. It's inevitable, Miles will be put in his place and Ark will have done what no one wants around here, and that's, keep the Turd Nutt on board. The luck of the Tigers is about to run out!!! BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

soonerhillbilly
11/7/2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, and 'manOO' I am not calling names, I just had 'Johnny on the Spot', in my head, must have been the Mexican Food.
BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

TUSooner
11/7/2007, 02:54 PM
All this "LSU will fall!" talk is wishful thinking. If they haven't blown it by now, with Lester at the helm, that should tell you that they just plain have too much raw talent to go in the tank.
I'd love to be wrong, but that's a darn good team, despite their head coach.

Socrefbek
11/7/2007, 03:10 PM
All this "LSU will fall!" talk is wishful thinking. If they haven't blown it by now, with Lester at the helm, that should tell you that they just plain have too much raw talent to go in the tank.
I'd love to be wrong, but that's a darn good team, despite their head coach.

:( Unfortunately, I think you are dead on. LSU wins inspite of Lester. They simply have too much damn talent.

Hopefully, Dorsey and Doucet go pro after this year, Pellweinie goes to aTm and LoSUr returns to their rightful place as a middle of the pack team in the SEC.

OUAndy1807
11/7/2007, 03:31 PM
Bull****. If the argument was too much talent, then they should be blowing everyone out. "Too much talent" doesn't explain the loss.

Unless you believe in destiny or magic, you have to believe that if they continue to play close games, in at least one of them the break is going to go against them at the end. It may not happen this season, but chances are it does if they continue to let their opponents be in the game near the end.

And if you do believe in magic or destiny than there's no need to think about it anyway, let alone wishfully think. It's going to happen. They're going to roll if it's their destiny.

They are a great team and they have a great chance of winning out, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/7/2007, 03:32 PM
Hooray!

Desert Sapper
11/7/2007, 03:41 PM
I would love to see them lose, but unless they seriously overlook one of their remaining opponents, it ain't gonna happen...until they reach the SEC Championship Game (and even then...).

soonermix
11/7/2007, 03:48 PM
remember the curse upon the #2 ranked team in the country this year.
for i believe 4 out of the last 5 weeks the second best team in the nation according to the voters and such have lost to an unranked opponent. and assuming the curse will remain in place that just means that lsu will dominate la tech then lose to ole miss. after that oregon moves to number 2 and guess who they have the next week? oregon st. one of the biggest season ruiners that i can remember out of the pac-10 +1 btw orest should also be unranked at that point so therefore it looks like after osu loses in the big house we will be playing the 'eers in the nc game. huh look at that

Desert Sapper
11/7/2007, 04:00 PM
remember the curse upon the #2 ranked team in the country this year.
for i believe 4 out of the last 5 weeks the second best team in the nation according to the voters and such have lost to an unranked opponent. and assuming the curse will remain in place that just means that lsu will dominate la tech then lose to ole miss. after that oregon moves to number 2 and guess who they have the next week? oregon st. one of the biggest season ruiners that i can remember out of the pac-10 +1 btw orest should also be unranked at that point so therefore it looks like after osu loses in the big house we will be playing the 'eers in the nc game. huh look at that

Shhhhhh...if we talk about the curse it won't work. ;)

Oldnslo
11/7/2007, 04:24 PM
If we win out, we play Oregon for the NC.

I agree that LSU has a boatload of talent. But I also agree that Lester has gotten waaay more than his fair share of breaks this season.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/7/2007, 05:54 PM
It's not going to happen this week. But, a lot of people forget that Ole Miss took LSU to overtime last year in Baton Rouge. I still have faith that Lester can find a way to screw it up.

LSUdeek
11/7/2007, 08:17 PM
The curse of #2? LSU was undisputed #1 on the road at UK.

:rolleyes:

badger
11/7/2007, 08:24 PM
The curse of #2? LSU was undisputed #1 on the road at UK.

:rolleyes:
Yeah... undisputed. Just like your champeenship in 2003 :D:D:D

Flying Scotsman
11/7/2007, 08:25 PM
Let's hope we just win out!! We will!

SoonerKnight
11/7/2007, 08:42 PM
Want a smart team? Get a smart coach! Miles ain't it!

josh09
11/7/2007, 10:40 PM
Please please God, let LSU lose.

They dont deserve it, especially to play in their home town basically, for the NC.

sendbaht
11/7/2007, 11:13 PM
I hope so.

LSUdeek
11/8/2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah... undisputed. Just like your champeenship in 2003 :D:D:D

Are you advocating the condom cause? Surely you jest!

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 03:12 AM
To be clear...Screw the fightin' molestors AND Condom. Luckily they'll both be losing soon.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2007, 03:45 AM
PLEASE!!! Let LSU lose this weekend!!! Then I can go to work and gloat!!

Desert Sapper
11/8/2007, 11:25 AM
This week:

Boomer!
Go Illini!
Go Bulldogs!
Go Cardinals!
Go Jayhawks!

Next Week:

Boomer!
Go Wildcats!
Go Rebels!
Go Blue!
Go Jayhawks!

At some point, we're going to catch a nice break. I can feel it. BOOMER!