PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bowl Predictions...

Readyfor8
11/7/2007, 12:44 PM
OU vs. USC in the Fiesta...

LSU vs. Ohio State in the BCS Champ...

Oregon vs. West Virginia in the Rose...

Georgia vs. Hawaii in the Sugar...

Boston College/Virginia Tech vs. Missouri in the Orange...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections10

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 12:47 PM
Heh....KU at Big XII #4.

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2007, 12:52 PM
Naturally espn has suc winning out...what else is new? They have to get through da Bares and the Sun Satans first.

More likely a Holiday Bowl trip for them and Ken-Doll Carroll can do some real-estate shopping while in San Diego. Sadly, property in the hills is going real cheap right now...

hOlden caUlfield...
11/7/2007, 12:54 PM
This years bowls are going to be awesome if it's anything like that prediction.....Obviously with us in the Championship....Dear God, help Illinois and La Tech. :rolleyes:

Blues1
11/7/2007, 12:55 PM
Screw those Guys.....
Here's My Bowl Projections..... :)

Allstate BCS Championship Game
(BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2) Ohio State vs. Oklahoma

Allstate Sugar
(BCS vs. BCS) LSU vs Kansas

FedEx Orange
(BCS vs. BCS) Boston College vs.
Virgina Tech

Tostitos Fiesta
(BCS vs. BCS) USC vs Missouri

Your Turn.... :)

Readyfor8
11/7/2007, 12:56 PM
Sadly if we don't get into the Championship game, I think this is probably my best case scenario. Nothing will get the national media's respect back better than beating the snot out of USC and setting up a top 3 position for next years preseason polls. Maybe even number 1.

Texas Golfer
11/7/2007, 01:03 PM
Just about everyone is giving Kansas no chance against Missouri.

Octavian
11/7/2007, 01:06 PM
what's an even odder scenario is OU vs. Arizona St. in the Fiesta. It'd be another bowl game in our opponent's backyard.

Only OU could play a major bowl game in Glendale, AZ and draw Arizona State as an opponent. :O

I mean, who at the beginning of the year would have ever thought the Sun Devils would even win 9 games? Much less make it to the BCS....

But...still a lot of football left before December.

Phil
11/7/2007, 01:35 PM
Screw those Guys.....

Allstate Sugar
(BCS vs. BCS) LSU vs Kansas

FedEx Orange
(BCS vs. BCS) Boston College vs.
Virgina Tech

Tostitos Fiesta
(BCS vs. BCS) USC vs Missouri

Ummm, that's got three Big XII teams in BCS bowls. Cannot happen, grasshopper. No more than two from any one conference, no matter what, can go the BCS.

Blues1
11/7/2007, 01:43 PM
Ummm, that's got three Big XII teams in BCS bowls. Cannot happen, grasshopper. No more than two from any one conference, no matter what, can go the BCS.

Screw the Rules.....:)

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 01:45 PM
Philwned.

Readyfor8
11/7/2007, 02:04 PM
Not only that but Boston College vs. Virginia Tech will be a rematch of teh ACC title game... No way that happens either...

Blues1
11/7/2007, 02:06 PM
Let me start all over..... :)

trey
11/7/2007, 03:04 PM
there's also this thing they call the Rose Bowl.

MamaMia
11/7/2007, 05:07 PM
OU/USC? Oh boy; wouldn't that be something? :P

RiddlerOK
11/7/2007, 05:42 PM
Screw those Guys.....

Let's try this lineup which I project, under the assumption Oklahoma likely isn't going to get any help the rest of the way..... :)

BCS Championship Game
(BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2) Ohio State vs. LSU

Allstate Sugar Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Tennessee vs Missouri

FedEx Orange Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Boston College vs. West Virginia

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Oklahoma vs Arizona State

Citi Rose Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Oregon vs. Wisconsin

josh09
11/7/2007, 10:42 PM
OU vs. USC in the Fiesta...

LSU vs. Ohio State in the BCS Champ...

Oregon vs. West Virginia in the Rose...

Georgia vs. Hawaii in the Sugar...

Boston College/Virginia Tech vs. Missouri in the Orange...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections10

MWUAHAHAHAHA

:pop:

man00
11/7/2007, 10:52 PM
I see no need to play USC again...it would get ugly for OU again.

sooneron
11/7/2007, 10:53 PM
BCS Championship Game

Wow, those two fanbases deserve each other! What would the over/under be for N'awlins burning to the ground that night?

the_edge
11/8/2007, 02:00 AM

Why are you not yet baned?

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 02:56 AM
Why is anyone afraid of the fightin' molestors? All we'd have to do to win is play at at least high school level in the final 5 minutes to bury them.

snp
11/8/2007, 02:56 AM
Let's try this lineup which I project, under the assumption Oklahoma likely isn't going to get any help the rest of the way..... :)

BCS Championship Game

Allstate Sugar Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Tennessee vs Missouri

FedEx Orange Bowl

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Citi Rose Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Oregon vs. Wisconsin

To be an at-large team you must finish with 9 wins and be in the top-14 (BCS conference teams).

Wisconsin won't finish in the top-14 and Tennessee is doubtful. They might be able to run the table and get themselves into the SEC title game, but they'll be crushed and sent back down a few more spots. It's also not a lock either team will make it to 9 wins.

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks for pointing that out! OU will be in the championship game and KU will be an at large. Other than that...I don't give a Gundy.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2007, 03:00 AM
Oklahoma-USC! Please USC will be lucky to get to a BCS bowl!

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 03:07 AM
Heh...They'll be playing in a crappy bowl and not a BCS bowl. MEanwhile, we'll be enjoying watching the game and their loss while sitting that week waiting for the Championship game.

snp
11/8/2007, 03:17 AM
A Texas-USC Holiday Bowl is fairly likely assuming the Gator Bowl doesn't swipe Texas as part of their deal. They have to select 2 Big 12 teams within the next 3 years.

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2007, 03:21 AM
Suc Sucks...They need to just go away and lose out.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2007, 03:44 AM
How bad can suc suc when suc really suc's?

soonersn2007
11/8/2007, 08:27 AM
If we can't play for the MNC, I would definitely want to play the condoms again.................and it would get ugly for them, not us.

cheezyq
11/8/2007, 08:56 AM

Dumbest.

Post.

Ever.

Salt City Sooner
11/8/2007, 09:20 AM
If they win out (& we win the CCG), it's not going to surprise me one iota to see the 'horns getting an at large bid. After the NCG is picked, the BCS bowls are ALL about $$$ (namely butts in seats & TV sets tuned into the game), & that's one thing that Texas absolutely dwarfs both KU & MU in.

CitySooner
11/8/2007, 09:27 AM
If we don't make it to the NCG, then I would really like us to play SUC if possible. A little redemption would be nice. They would have to win out which doesn't seem likely the way their season has gone. If we did play them and kick their butts it would be doubtful the media would give us any love, because their beloved condoms "Were dealing with too many injuries and distractions" :mad:

85sooners
11/8/2007, 09:47 AM
f em!!

TexasLidig8r
11/8/2007, 11:11 AM
BCS Championship Game

Allstate Sugar Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Texas vs Georgia

FedEx Orange Bowl

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Citi Rose Bowl
(BCS vs. BCS) Oregon vs. Hawaii

Pieces Hit
11/8/2007, 11:25 AM
First, I admit to being dumb about a great many things.
That said,

How come no one is talking about the possibility of an OU vs. Oregon Bowl?

TexasLidig8r
11/8/2007, 12:07 PM
That said,

The only probable way it happens if it is in the championship game..which would also require LSU and Ohio State to lose and both teams winning out.

Oregon, as the presumed Pac 10 champ, if it is not playing for the championship, goes Rose.
OU, as the presumed Big XII champ, if it is not playing for the championship, goes Fiesta.

stoopified
11/8/2007, 12:20 PM
Why are you not yet baned?
My thoughts excatly.I gave him another dose of neg.

toneful
11/8/2007, 12:46 PM
why does SUC get a BCS game. WHY? I KU wins out til the Big 12 game then loses to OU i think they should get bid over Mizzou. I guess ESPN sees them losing to MiZZOU.

Salt City Sooner
11/8/2007, 01:05 PM
why does SUC get a BCS game. WHY? I KU wins out til the Big 12 game then loses to OU i think they should get bid over Mizzou. I guess ESPN sees them losing to MiZZOU.
Same reason as I discussed with Texas. If you're a bowl exec, do you want the Los Angeles market tuned into your game, or the Lawrence Kansas market? Not the hardest choice to make.

Oldnslo
11/8/2007, 02:07 PM
That said,

FWIW, I posted this matchup in another thread.

GreenSooner
11/8/2007, 02:26 PM

Ah...the storied Allstate BCS Championship Game! Say what you will about the advantages of playoffs, the current system is just so rich in tradition! ;)

Pieces Hit
11/8/2007, 02:45 PM
*** still dumb and naive here ***

I think it oughta be 1vs.2, 3vs.4, etc. period.

no?

Texas Golfer
11/8/2007, 02:58 PM
Just about everyone is giving Kansas no chance against Missouri.

I KU wins out til the Big 12 game then loses to OU i think they should get bid over Mizzou. I guess ESPN sees them losing to MiZZOU.

Like I said, just about everyone sees them losing to Missouri.

cheezyq
11/8/2007, 03:10 PM

no?

No, the only thing the BCS gives is a championship game. Beyond that, it's based on who qualifies, who owns the conference first rights, and the whim of the various venues.

I can't find anything definitive, but I believe it goes like this:
Rose gets first choice of the Pac-10 and Big-10 champs.
Fiesta gets first choice of the Big 12 champs.
Orange gets first choice of the ACC and Big East champs.
Sugar gets the first choice of the SEC champs.

Beyond that, the bowls decide who to pick from the BCS-at-large teams on a rotating basis.

If a non-BCS school is undefeated and ranked higher than #12 in the BCS, they become an at-large team. Notre Dame gets in regardless of their record based on their sheer awesomeness. (Please note that last sentence was said in extreme sarcasm)

Salt City Sooner
11/8/2007, 05:27 PM
That said,

At least one person is.....

Looking at the current landscape, there are no shortage of potentially intriguing BCS matchups. Ohio State vs. LSU in another Big Ten-SEC national title showdown? Les Miles’ Tigers partaking in their own Pac-10 “knock down drag out” with Oregon? How about a Tim Tebow-Colt Brennan Sugar Bowl duel? Or maybe a surreal but entirely feasible Fiesta Bowl matching longtime juggernaut USC against overnight sensation Kansas.

All, however, pale in comparison to one particular grudge match I know I’d like to see -- as would the residents of at least two states, if not the entire country. It’s a bowl matchup so intriguing that, provided both teams are eligible, I would personally volunteer to step in and broker some sort of old-school, pre-BCS backroom deal to make sure it happens.

I’m talking about Oklahoma vs. Oregon.

On Sept. 16, 2006, the Sooners and Ducks became unwitting participants in one of the most controversial moments in recent history. Nearly 15 months later, the mere mention of the word “Oregon” still sends smoke rising from the ears of any devoted Oklahoma fan. Mention the game to any Ducks fan (as I did a few times in person last weekend), and he’ll immediately start fuming at the mere thought of all those fuming Sooners fans.

Clearly, these teams need to meet again. I see three scenarios under which it could happen.

Scenario 1: Oregon and Oklahoma both reach the BCS title game. This one’s the simplest, albeit seemingly unlikely at this point. Basically, both Ohio State and LSU -- the current No. 1 and 2 teams in the BCS standings -- would need to lose a game, while the third-ranked Ducks and fifth-ranked Sooners (which themselves might have to take care of No. 4 Kansas in the Big 12 championship game) would have to win out.

Scenario 2: Oregon wins the Pac-10 but does not finish No. 1 or 2; Oklahoma loses in the Big 12 title game. The Ducks would automatically go to the Rose Bowl, which, if it loses the Buckeyes to the BCS title game, will have first choice of at-large teams to replace them. Ideally, the folks in Pasadena would prefer another Big Ten team, but the only possibility is current No. 12 Michigan (which would be no lock to finish in the top 14 if it loses to Ohio State). Which sounds more appealing to you: A rematch between 11-1 Oregon and a 9-3 Michigan team it already beat 39-7 -- or a potential rematch between the 11-1 Ducks and 11-2 Sooners?

Scenario 3: Oregon wins the Pac-10, Oklahoma wins the Big 12 -- and the brokering begins. By letter of BCS law, the Ducks and Sooners would be sent to separate games: Oregon to the Rose Bowl, Oklahoma to the Fiesta Bowl. Listed at the very end of the BCS’ official “selection policies and procedures,” however, is a convenient, intentionally vague clause that’s been sitting there for nine years but never previously invoked. It basically says that after all the teams have been selected and slotted, BCS officials can “adjust the pairings…” if, “alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans.”

Think Oregon-Oklahoma might have “greater appeal” than, say, Missouri-Arizona State?

Mind you, there have been numerous occasions in the past where you would think someone should have invoked this apparent “common-sense override.” Like in 2002, when Iowa and USC met in the Orange Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl. Or a year later, when the Orange Bowl got stuck with a Miami-Florida State rematch. Or in 2004, when undefeated Auburn and undefeated Utah were sent to separate bowls.

The problem in all those cases, however, was that it would have involved one bowl getting a dream matchup while another got dumped on. Despite what the language of that aforementioned clause says, each individual bowl’s interests always come before the general good of college football. In fact, some of the bowls flat-out despise each other; think they’re going to voluntarily lend their buddy a helping hand?

But what if there was a way to give one bowl an Oregon-Oklahoma game while simultaneously boosting another? This is where I’m offering to provide my services as a broker -- specifically, between the Rose and Fiesta bowls.

Should the landscape on Dec. 1 remotely resemble the current pecking order, the Rose Bowl is going to be hurting for appealing options to match up against Oregon. As stated earlier, the Big Ten runner-up would be either ineligible or, in this case, unappealing. And most of the other logical candidates -- Big East champ West Virginia, ACC runner-up Boston College or Virginia Tech -- would be coming from the other side of the country. The Rose could really use Oklahoma.

Meanwhile, the Fiesta Bowl just hosted Oklahoma last season. As you may recall, it was not a pleasant result for Sooners fans. And with hometown school Arizona State looking like the current frontrunner for the other spot (if Oregon goes to the Rose Bowl), the Fiesta could really use a team that would bring in a ton of out-of-town fans. This year, that team could be current Cinderella Kansas.

So here’s what we do. We have the Rose Bowl draft the Jayhawks to replace the Buckeyes, keeping them out of the hands of the Orange or Sugar bowls. Then, we have the Rose “trade” Kansas to the Fiesta Bowl in exchange for Oklahoma.

The Fiesta gets the team it wants; the Rose gets a game we all want to see.

Who’s with me?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/ncaa/2007/11/dreaming-of-pasadena-replay.html

snp
11/8/2007, 07:46 PM

no?

Blame the Rose Bowl for that. The Big 10 and PAC-10 weren't about to let their overrated tradition be trumped in the name of progress.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2007, 03:36 AM
Screw 'em!

Quack 10
11/9/2007, 05:16 PM
At least one person is.....

Make that two.

The whole reason Oregon lost to Cal was to appease the college football replay Gods for unintentionally reaping ill-obtained benefit courtesy of the Pac-10 refs.

The sacrifice has been made, the Gods are satiated, and all that remains is to get the opportunity to legitimately defeat Oklahoma ... or not.

goingoneight
11/10/2007, 12:57 AM

:les: OSU to teh Rose Bole!!!111!1 Reid-Bowman for Heisman!!!111!1

Crucifax Autumn
11/10/2007, 03:09 AM
You know, I said it earlier and I'm saying it again...Screw 'em...All of them...

OU to the Championship game after a bunch of these wannabes fall this week and the next few.