View Full Version : Congratulations UAW

Veritas
11/7/2007, 08:57 AM
Just a few slashes left to decaptitate your golden goose:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/07/news/companies/gm/index.htm?cnn=yes

**** unions.

OUDoc
11/7/2007, 09:06 AM
I'm not pro- or anti-union, but I didn't see where that loss was because of the UAW (except for the "everything is the union's fault" angle). Looks like a accounting thing because of past losses. GM actually had a pretty good sales quarter.

Veritas
11/7/2007, 09:10 AM
I'M not pro- or anti-union, but I didn't see where that loss was because of the UAW (except for the "everything is the union's fault" angle). Looks like a accounting thing because of past losses. GM actually had a pretty good sales quarter.
It's the result of the long-term blood letting, not so much anything the UAW has done within the past coulple years; in fact they backed off their demands after they realized that their host was a little bit close to the point of death. Too little, too late.

Okla-homey
11/7/2007, 09:16 AM
You know, here's the thing. My understanding is UAW is unwilling to negotiate higher co-pays for their members. Now, couple that with the fact when the 87 y/o spouse of a retired UAW member needs a hip replacement, UAW picks up practically 100% of the tab, despite the fact she's otherwise Medicare eligible, and you have a recipe for an absurdly expensive benefit package that can leech a company's profitibility to the breaking point.

Frankly, I've come to believe a reasonable co-pay is a good thing in the sense it tends to preclude folks from running to the doctor at the drop of a hat.

If we ever get national health care (which I pray we don't*) it will be an unmitigated disaster unless there is some means testing involved and people have to pay a reasonable co-pay, indexed to their ability to pay, to get services.

* I am unable to fathom why people think the same government that can barely deliver their mail can somehow manage to deliver them decent healthcare services.

OUDoc
11/7/2007, 09:19 AM
Frankly, I've come to believe a reasonable co-pay is a good thing in the sense it tends to preclude folks from running to the doctor at the drop of a hat.

You wouldn't believe the complaints people came in with when the OUHSC clinic's co-pay was 25 cents. (Not every one even had that.)

jeremy885
11/7/2007, 09:25 AM

I hear you on that. I guess my wife could go to the doctor anytime she wanted to in Russia and not have to pay a dime. Trying to break her of that habit is getting expensive.

If we ever get national health care (which I pray we don't*) it will be an unmitigated disaster unless there is some means testing involved and people have to pay a reasonable co-pay, indexed to their ability to pay, to get services.

Good luck to the person who gets stuck trying to figure out a fair method.

Okla-homey
11/7/2007, 09:25 AM
You wouldn't believe the complaints people came in with when the OUHSC clinic's co-pay was 25 cents. (Not every one even had that.)

When the candy is free, some people grab more than their fair share.