PDA

View Full Version : Would Stoops start Gute this week?

cs6000
11/7/2007, 06:58 AM
It will be his next to last home game, parents day at OU, lightly regarded team, etc. Stoops also had Gute on the Sooner show this week, just wondering.

Yet another glowing article on Gute from the Tulsa World:

Jacob Gutierrez: A Sooner spirit

Courtesy
University of Oklahoma football player Jacob Gutierrez reads to elementary school children in Norman. Gutierrez is a frequent community volunteer while at OU.

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
11/7/2007
Last Modified: 11/7/2007 3:56 AM

OU player is star off field

NORMAN -- Watching Adrian Peterson set the NFL single-game rushing record the other day, Jacob Gutierrez was reminded of how far down the running back depth chart he's been for most of his career at the University of Oklahoma.

But Baylor's trip to Owen Field this weekend reminds Gutierrez of one special night two years ago.

In 2005, in his first start as a Sooner running back, Gutierrez rushed 30 times for 173 yards and a touchdown in a double-overtime victory over the Bears. A week later, he was injured, Peterson returned to the lineup and Gutierrez' time in the spotlight was over.

"I think he's happy with that one moment and all that," said his father, Art Gutierrez, "but he's also waiting for that next opportunity, you know? He's going to be ready to shine again."

In reality, Jacob Gutierrez has always shined.

He's a fifth-year senior and a Sooner captain, voted such for the second year in a row. He's a consistent standout on special teams and is routinely the first one at the ball when OU kicks off. He stays after practice for extra work almost every day. He has a sociology degree and is working on graduate studies. He's a volunteer who reads to kids at Norman's Madison Elementary School. He's a regular visitor to the children's ward of an Oklahoma City hospital. He leads the school's FCA, studies his Bible and plays Christian CDs in his car.

He's 5-foot-6, 190 pounds of pure gold.

OU head coach Bob Stoops said: "Sunday he was on my TV show and left and was on his way to Children's Hospital at the OU Medical Center to sit down and do arts and crafts with a bunch of kids.

"And that's Sunday, when he's off. That's just the kind of kid he is."

Gutierrez' roommate, Joe Jon Finley, an OU tight end who sometimes tags along on his visits, said: "And he knows every one of their names. He amazes me what he does.

"All around, he's probably the best guy I've ever met in my life."

Gutierrez' greatest contributions go way beyond football. But it's football, he said, that gave him a platform for his irrepressible community spirit.

"When I came to the University of Oklahoma, I came with the mentality that I could make a difference, but I didn't realize how big of a platform I'd have to make a difference in other peoples' lives," he said. "OU football is king around here."

Gutierrez' impact on his teammates is profound. He is always smiling, genuine, eager to get to know anyone or lend a hand.

"This day and age, people might act like they're cool," said OU's linebacker Lewis Baker. "But in the back of their mind, that type of stuff, that'll stick with you."

Gutierrez first fell for OU while watching the Sooners during a recruiting trip to Baylor. He loved the way the running back Quentin Griffin -- like Gutierrez a San Antonio native, and like Gutierrez relatively diminutive -- was used in the offense. But he hadn't received recruiting interest from any Division I-A program outside of Waco, Texas.

Then came a coaching change at Baylor, and even the Bears rescinded their scholarship offer.

"A lot of sleepless nights," he said. "Growing up, it was a big dream of mine to play college ball. At the time, it wasn't working out."

He decided to walk on at OU, despite the great financial strain it would cause. But a week after Baylor pulled its offer, Kansas called. An hour later, OU called.

As Gutierrez put it, "A prayer was answered."

Three years later, with Peterson hurt and others out, Gutierrez' name rose on the depth chart against Baylor, answering another prayer: He got a chance to run with the football.

"I was reminded that I didn't get the opportunity to go play there," he said of Baylor, "and I was given a chance to show them that I could play this game."

swardboy
11/7/2007, 07:22 AM
Heh....I didn't realize that about Baylor pulling its scholly for Gute...."and I was given a chance to show them that I could play this game." Gold.

I mentioned somewhere last week that it would be sweet if Gute could get a lot of carries in the last homestand this year, but against Baylor would be a nice setting too.

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 07:42 AM
Here Here ! ! !

GO GUTE ! ! !

Curly Bill
11/7/2007, 08:26 AM
NICE...but the answer to the posed quesstion is: probably not, though I wouldn't be shocked to see Gute get some carries.

Boomer.....
11/7/2007, 08:34 AM
He is an amazing role model.

Widescreen
11/7/2007, 08:53 AM
He torched Baylor for 173 yards recently. I don't think he'll start at RB but he probably will get some carries.

zeke
11/7/2007, 09:13 AM
It would be neat if he did get to start. He is a great young man. But he probably wont start the game.

MichiganSooner
11/7/2007, 09:17 AM
He probably won't start but I hope he does.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2007, 09:18 AM
He saved the game for OU two years ago in Norman if I recall. Another RB may have got the job done, but he certainly gets credit for that.

I had no idea we pulled an offer to him. Crazy *** Baylor. He made the right decision though since we don't have a running game.

SoonerStormchaser
11/7/2007, 09:36 AM
"Quentin Griffin -- like Gutierrez a San Antonio native, and like Gutierrez relatively diminutive --"

Bzzt...WRONG!
Q is from Humble (near Houston).

TopDawg
11/7/2007, 10:19 AM
He starts on special teams so there's a really good chance he'll be in the game before Patrick, Murray or Brown. :D

TMcGee86
11/7/2007, 11:03 AM
If we run that quick pass that we have been running on the first play most games, I dont see why he couldn't start.

But I do hope he gets some carries this week, that would be a fitting tribute to a great guy.