PDA

View Full Version : I do not know what to think about this year....

Soonerus
11/6/2007, 10:45 PM
...more than any other I expect a MNC may be crowned who is totally unworthy...unless OU...

adoniijahsooner
11/6/2007, 11:06 PM
This is the weirdest year I can remember in the bcs, and to be honest I am really losing my heart for college football, because this year has proven that we need a playoff. Even if we were number 1 I still think championships should be won on the field, not on espn teleprompters and dribble oozing from lou holtz chin.

birddog
11/6/2007, 11:20 PM
describe "unworthy".

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 11:24 PM
In the preseason, folks thought this was Pete Carroll's best USC team and that they were hands down the best in the nation.

Some thought Notre Dame would actually win three games.

Some had Texas an uncontested BIG 12 Champion.

Sam Bradford was supposed to go 8-4 and struggle mightily to do so.

Michigan was supposed to go all the way to the Ohio State game undefeated.

Chad Henne was a Heisman candidate.

Lousiville was a serious contender.

Miami and FSU would quickly rebuild and shake up the BCS.

Kansas would fire Mark Mangino after a 4-8 season.

USC-Nebraska was set to be the game of the year.

Miami was going to challenge OU.

Nebraska was ranked.

Allbarn would destroy that "weak BIG 12 North team" by somewhere in the neighborhood of three touchdowns, easy.

OSU had the most powerful offense in the world, led by Heisman co-winners Adarius Bowman and Bobby Reid.

OU would have given a kidney to have OSU's third string QB because at least he had experience. Heh.

Appalachan State was just another cupcake.

Mike Gundy was a refreshing new personality, unlike the other blithering fools before him.

Sam Keller was all Nebraska needed to win it all.

This was "the year Mike Stoops turned the corner at Arizona." :(

Grown men didn't necessarily have to be 40.

Mothers of all species were capable of complaining to a coach.

Redshirting, working out, getting stronger and building relationships with players and coaches... along with experiencing things like an improbable BIG 12 title run, a crazy BCS bowl, the Red River Shootout environment, College Station, thousands of hateful Stoolwaterians and everything the 2006 Sooners went through was no match for how talented a blue-chipper true freshmen QB was. No way the local guy or the JUCO transfer had a chance.

Sam Bradford seemed like he sucked, when looking at his high school stats from a bad team. He was no Colt McCoy. :D

Adarius Bowman was a preseason All-American, Malcom Kelly was just an OU wide receiver (we knew better, though).

Scheduling Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Texas A&M was a damned scary OOC obstacle.

I could go on...

Soonerus
11/6/2007, 11:27 PM
In the preseason, folks thought this was Pete Carroll's best USC team and that they were hands down the best in the nation.

Some thought Notre Dame would actually win three games.

Some had Texas an uncontested BIG 12 Champion.

Sam Bradford was supposed to go 8-4 and struggle mightily to do so.

Michigan was supposed to go all the way to the Ohio State game undefeated.

Chad Henne was a Heisman candidate.

Lousiville was a serious contender.

Miami and FSU would quickly rebuild and shake up the BCS.

Kansas would fire Mark Mangino after a 4-8 season.

USC-Nebraska was set to be the game of the year.

Miami was going to challenge OU.

Nebraska was ranked.

Allbarn would destroy that "weak BIG 12 North team" by somewhere in the neighborhood of three touchdowns, easy.

OSU had the most powerful offense in the world, led by Heisman co-winners Adarius Bowman and Bobby Reid.

OU would have given a kidney to have OSU's third string QB because at least he had experience. Heh.

Appalachan State was just another cupcake.

Mike Gundy was a refreshing new personality, unlike the other blithering fools before him.

Sam Keller was all Nebraska needed to win it all.

This was "the year Mike Stoops turned the corner at Arizona." :(

Grown men didn't necessarily have to be 40.

Mothers of all species were capable of complaining to a coach.

Redshirting, working out, getting stronger and building relationships with players and coaches... along with experiencing things like an improbable BIG 12 title run, a crazy BCS bowl, the Red River Shootout environment, College Station, thousands of hateful Stoolwaterians and everything the 2006 Sooners went through was no match for how talented a blue-chipper true freshmen QB was. No way the local guy or the JUCO transfer had a chance.

Sam Bradford seemed like he sucked, when looking at his high school stats from a bad team. He was no Colt McCoy. :D

Adarius Bowman was a preseason All-American, Malcom Kelly was just an OU wide receiver (we knew better, though).

Scheduling Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Texas A&M was a damned scary OOC obstacle.

I could go on...

Very accurate !!!

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2007, 11:29 PM
It doesn't seem that different to me. It always comes down to zero and one loss teams jockeying for position and arguments about SOS, victory margins, etc. Even the "perfect" year of USC/Texas going #1/#2 and undefeated all year took 4th quarter comebacks in South Bend and Columbus to keep the records clean. I think it comes down to how much we want college football to look like the pros. With a 16 team playoff, the upsets of Stanford/USC, Appy State/Mich and (sob) CU/OU would be no big deal if those strong teams got into the playoffs and were playing well. Heck, a 3 loss gator team could win it all in a playoff this year if Tebow got healthy.

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 11:49 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Some people want to see conference champions play off for it all. Some people don't mind seeing #1 OU, #2 Texas, #3 Nebraska and #4 Colorado all in because of records.

I do feel in my mind that something should be done about all of these years like last year when Boise got snubbed and the #1 greatest team of all time turned out to be a turd in a punch bowl.

USC/Texas and maybe Ohio State/Miami were the only years I can remember people not bitching about who the best teams are in the current system.

Miami bitched in 2000, when neither them nor FSU belonged on the field with us on that night anyway. No team was as sharp or as determined as OU was under Heupel and Marshall that year, IMHO. Homerism, whatever.

Everyone except Nebraska bitched when they didn't even make the CCG, but still made the title game.

Everyone and their damn brother bitched about LSU getting the nod over USC, and then Oklahoma lost to LSU. Then they bitched about OU getting the nod over USC to play LSU.

Utah, Allbarn and a school of others had arguments afetr we laid a turd in the Orange Bowl.

Michigan and Florida were a thousandth of a vote separated from the Title game versus Ohio State... then the Gators raped the Bucknuts. Did we mention an undefeated team didn't even get a hint of a shot? Who's to say that we weren't better than Florida or Ohio State, and that Boise would have potatowned them as well? USC raped Michigan, so that's shot... damn, was there really a champion, or did we just let Meyer in to shut him up?

This year is setting up the same way so far. LSU rapes Ohio State, KU is a potential Cinderella, Oklahoma was their own worst enemy at Boulder... it's a total crapshoot again.

hOlden caUlfield...
11/7/2007, 12:05 AM
I hate when people say losses to colorado and appy state wouldn't matter. Those losses would definitely matter. They just might not ruin your season. There are 119 schools playing here. There WOULd be teams with 1 loss that didn't make it if it were an 8 or even 16 team playoff system. I'm not a big playoff supporter and still don't know exactly where i stand but, CUBBON SHELLY!!! It just perturbs me that a fluke loss by 3 points can ruin our chances of beating the #1 team in the championship game when we might be able to.

Crucifax Autumn
11/7/2007, 02:58 AM
I still hold out hope that we will pull it off in the end with a little help. I'm always a bright-sider when it comes to the SOONERS!

SoonerKnight
11/7/2007, 03:20 AM
Sooner Magic!!!

SoonerKnight
11/7/2007, 03:22 AM
This has been a strange year but I too think we can win it all this year or at least make an effort for it in the MNC! I really think this team has IT. I think the fire that they showed last week tells more than they were getting carried away.

Crucifax Autumn
11/7/2007, 03:23 AM
Yep...It'll have to show itself in all its glory this year. And I think it may be making guest appearances in some other games besides ours.

SoonerEmpire
11/7/2007, 03:27 AM
If this season doesn't prove that we need some type of playoff system, then nothing will prove it. This is the craziest year of football I can remember! It's DEFINITELY the year that proves that the BCS is GARBAGE!!! [hairGel]

BUT...

Having said that, the irony about it is that it's been one of the most exciting and entertaining seasons of college football that I can remember as well. At least it has been in my opinion. It's kinda nice to genuinely not know who's going to win week in and week out for a change.

Crucifax Autumn
11/7/2007, 03:32 AM
IT is exciting...I'll give you that! In fact, as far as BCS seasons go I'd have to say this one is the first to rival some of those earlier years pre-BCS when it was really fun to watch games I wouldn't otherwise watch if I was paid to do so.

SoonerKnight
11/7/2007, 03:38 AM
I just wish the Sooners had not been caught up in this mess. (Losing to CU)We need a playoff system that will allow teams to play for being the best because look at it now. tOSU may play in a game that they shouldn't all because they have a weak schedule. If they do not go to a playoff system then maybe the rule should be that the team that plays in the national title game should at least play 2-3 teams in the top 25 to be considered if they are undefeated at the end of the year.

Leroy Lizard
11/7/2007, 04:23 AM
If this season doesn't prove that we need some type of playoff system, then nothing will prove it.

Glad you agree that we don't need a playoff.

Just play the games and enjoy them for what they are: A bunch of kids putting on a show for our entertainment. There really isn't much more to it than that.

Today, everyone is spoiled rotten.

SoonerEmpire
11/7/2007, 04:28 AM
Glad you agree that we don't need a playoff.

Just play the games and enjoy them for what they are: A bunch of kids putting on a show for our entertainment. There really isn't much more to it than that.

Today, everyone is spoiled rotten.

Actually, I think you read my statement wrong. I believe there SHOULD be a playoff system. If I'm spoiled for wanting a system where there is a legitimate champion every year, then so be it.

On the other hand, I do agree with you in that we should enjoy the games for what they are - fun, entertaining, and (for the most part) competitive football games.

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 06:20 AM
...Jenni Carson was sharpening her brand new box of pencils for what would be just another year of sports reporting. UNTIL....:D

MojoRisen
11/7/2007, 09:45 AM
I like Phil Steele's 4 team playoff 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 then a Championship game much like we have now.

Auburn would not have a complaint SUC would not have a complaint and Colorado and Oregon would not have a complaint - along with Miami and Washington in 2000

Complaints

goingoneight
11/7/2007, 08:56 PM
That makes sense... ^^^ I guess a part of me want conference titles to mean something, that's why I origianlly suggested conference champs. I get sick and tired of someone saying "so what?" when I mention what OUr team accomplished in years like 2002, 2004 and 2006. It doesn't take much to LOSE those games, ya know. IMHO, I have a lot more respect for a team that fights their way to a 10-2 or 9-3 conference champion than I do a team that chokes ala 2001 Texas or 2003 OU. A true champion may stumbvle, but they do not stall. IOW, they make drop a fluke loss ala Colorado, but they don't lay an egg where it matters. I think too many people are WAY too concerned with the National Champion and the number of wins they "fell" a champion "needs" to prove it's point. If you have a room full of great fighters, do you just vote who is the best based off of wins and losses? Or do you let them compete and slug it out.

NYC Poke
11/7/2007, 09:07 PM
This has been a crazy season, one that begs for a playoff. But the answer is just to win. You can't control what the other teams do or the reason the voters vote the way they do or the reasons why the computers are programmed the way they are. All each team can do is take care of business on Saturdays.

goingoneight
11/7/2007, 09:13 PM
... and Thursdays, and Mondays, etc.

Stoop Dawg
11/7/2007, 09:29 PM
This has been a crazy season, one that begs for a playoff. But the answer is just to win.

Are you talking to Hawaii this year, or Boise St last year?

NYC Poke
11/7/2007, 09:43 PM
Are you talking to Hawaii this year, or Boise St last year?

I am on record on this board as stating that I think Hawaii is over-rated and overhyped. A decent, talented D could shut them down the same way Mizzou shut down TT. Boise St. a year ago was a different story than Hawaii this year.

If Boise State runs the table and beats Hawaii, do they have a realistic shot at a BCS at-large berth?
--J, Billings, Montana

I highly doubt it. First of all, there's a far lower respect level nationally for Hawaii this year (due to its weak schedule and poor road performances) than there was last year at this time for Boise State. So simply beating Hawaii is not the kind of feat that's going to send the Broncos soaring up the rankings. And secondly, whereas last year's Boise State team gained a lot of credibility from its early-season rout of an Oregon State team that wound up winning 10 games and beating undefeated USC, these Broncos are hard to take as seriously having lost fairly soundly to a Washington team that currently stands 3-6. Don't get me wrong, the Boise State story was unquestionably the highlight of last year's bowl season, but I don't get the sense too many people around the country are clamoring for a sequel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/07/cfb.bag/2.html

Texas Golfer
11/7/2007, 10:00 PM
I like Phil Steele's 4 team playoff 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 then a Championship game much like we have now.

Auburn would not have a complaint SUC would not have a complaint and Colorado and Oregon would not have a complaint - along with Miami and Washington in 2000

Complaints

#5 is complaining that they should have been in the top 4. You have the Mack Browns lobbying to get votes.

I like the current system. It generates discussions long after the seasons are completed. This thread is prime example.

Stitch Face
11/7/2007, 10:26 PM
* I highly doubt it. First of all, there's a far lower respect level nationally for Hawaii this year (due to its weak schedule and poor road performances) than there was last year at this time for Boise State. So simply beating Hawaii is not the kind of feat that's going to send the Broncos soaring up the rankings. And secondly, whereas last year's Boise State team gained a lot of credibility from its early-season rout of an Oregon State team that wound up winning 10 games and beating undefeated USC, these Broncos are hard to take as seriously having lost fairly soundly to a Washington team that currently stands 3-6. Don't get me wrong, the Boise State story was unquestionably the highlight of last year's bowl season, but I don't get the sense too many people around the country are clamoring for a sequel.

This is what's wrong with the "sport" of college football. It's not about competition on the field to the voters, it's about what makes a good story this year.

sooneron
11/7/2007, 10:48 PM
This has been a crazy season, one that begs for a playoff.
I didn't realize that this season was over. Maybe all of the playoff pumpers should wait until the dust settles to see who deserves to be in the big game.
I keep hearing about tOSU probably playing for it all. They may very well lose to mich or illinois. If that happens, they will drop and all of this weak schedule talk will mean nil.
Last year, the system got it right. The year before, the system got it right. They're on a roll as far as I'm concerned.

NYC Poke
11/7/2007, 11:10 PM
I didn't realize that this season was over. Maybe all of the playoff pumpers should wait until the dust settles to see who deserves to be in the big game.
I keep hearing about tOSU probably playing for it all. They may very well lose to mich or illinois. If that happens, they will drop and all of this weak schedule talk will mean nil.
Last year, the system got it right. The year before, the system got it right. They're on a roll as far as I'm concerned.

It's not over at all. I'm not exactly a BCS-hater. It's certainly better than when #1 would play #10, #2 would play #5, and #3 would play #8. Some would win, one would win impressively, and we'd wake up on Jan. 2 and, voila, two "National Champions."

BCS is an improvement, but it's not enough. Even with a playoff system, perception would still count (as it does it basketball), making each game important. The argument would shift from the bowl selection to bracketing. But the final argument would be decided on the field.