PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Tots Challenge

soonerloyal
11/6/2007, 05:30 PM
My fellow Sooner Fans Members:

One of the causes nearest to my heart, and to the hearts of many of my sons' Brother Marines, is the fantastic program known as TOYS FOR TOTS.

http://www.toysfortots.org/

This wonderful, honorable and dedicated program is in full swing for the 2007 holiday season. Here is a small intro for Toys for Tots:

Toys for Tots began in 1947 when Major Bill Hendricks, USMCR and a group of Marine Reservists in Los Angeles collected and distributed 5,000 toys to needy children. The idea came from Bill's wife, Diane. In the fall of 1947, Diane handcrafted a Raggedy Ann doll and asked Bill to deliver the doll to an organization, which would give it to a needy child at Christmas. When Bill determined that no agency existed, Diane told Bill that he should start one. He did. The 1947 pilot project was so successful that the Marine Corps adopted Toys for Tots in 1948 and expanded it into a nationwide campaign.

Even during war time, our brave Marines make this a top priority in order that children who might otherwise be disappointed during Christmas, receive a special blessing of toys. There's few things that will bring tears of pride to your eyes, or warmth to your heart, than seeing a "big bad" Marine down on his knees, gently cuddling a tiny child while handing them what might possibly be the only gift they'll receive this Christmas.

I have a huge amount of fondness for, and faith in, my fellow Sooners, whether in our beloved Oklahoma, or stranded out of state. Because of that, I'm challenging you all to help our Marines reach as many kids as possible this (and EVERY) season! If you are up to the challenge, I ask that you do one (or more) of the following:

1) Take your kids/grandkids along as you get gift ideas, for them AND for kids who don't have that chance. This is a GREAT opportunity for your own kids to learn the joy of helping others...I know adults who remember every single toy they helped "give" as kids. That's a priceless memory for children to have. Besides, who are the best toy authorities?

2) Skip one fast food lunch this season, and use that money for a toy or monetary donation to Toys For Tots. Your waistline, a child AND a Marine will thank you for it.

3) Does your kid's teacher really need another bottle of cologne she'll never wear? Does your distant cousin have to roll his eyes at yet another desk golf doodad he's been given - and besides, does he ever give you anything but a headache at family gettogethers? Instead of buying a gift for someone you really don't want to, use that money for Toys For Tots.

4) Deduct $5 to $10 or more from your allotted budget for your own kid's gift list and donate one to Toys For Tots. When I worked at Toys R Us, I routinely helped people who (I kid you not) worried that they "ONLY" spent "$1100 on Tim, and Sarah's gotten $1500"...and that's not enough for either..." Dear Lord. Take a twenty and put it towards something for a teenager who has hardly anything. Remember how hard being that age was? Imagine being able to help ease the pain of being that age with little or nothing at Christmas.

5) Make your own challenge at your office or other important group. Have a homeowner's association? Ask your neighbors to help. Do your coworkers donate money for decorations, cards, or other purchases you might easily do without? Ask them to consider donating a toy instead.

The commercial of a Marine in Dress Blues standing at the Position of Attention only moving to take a small boy's letter to Santa never fails to move most of us. I'm asking you to make a head start on the effort now, before many Marines make their way to Iraq or Afghanistan, unable to help with the donation campaign. I'm one of many Marine Moms who has promised to take up the slack those Marines feel they're dropping, so that this need is fulfilled. I'm asking y'all for help. Most people are readily willing to help those who need it, but might not remember that Toys For Tots is a good way to help. I'm asking you, my fellow Sooner fans to change that, starting now.

Eventually, I'd LOVE to make this an annual challenge between Sooner and Longhorn fans. Lid, are you willing to help me get it started?

Soooo...are ya game?

:)

Lori H.
PROUD Mom of Two of The Few

usmc-sooner
11/6/2007, 08:32 PM
I volunteer for this every year. Great program.

just a word of caution loyal, there are a whole lot of Marines from Texas. The great state of Texas supplies their fair share of the few the proud.