PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Jim Thorpe Award Semi-Finalists Announced

Scott D
11/6/2007, 01:15 PM
Two players from the Big-12.

This list will be narrowed on Nov. 19 to three finalists, who will be invited to the nationally telecast Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on Dec. 6. The winner will be announced on the show and the official presentation will be at a formal banquet in Oklahoma City on Feb. 12, 2008.

Last year's winner was Texas standout Aaron Ross, now playing for the New York Giants.

Thorpe Award winners are selected for performance on the field, athletic ability and character.

The 2007 semi-finalists are:
Trey Brown, Sr., UCLA
Antoine Cason, Sr., Arizona
Vontae Davis, Soph., Illinois
Malcolm Jenkins, Jr., Ohio State
Mike Jenkins, Jr., South Florida
Kenny Phillips, Jr., Miami
James Silva, Sr., Boston College
Reggie Smith, Jr., Oklahoma
Craig Steltz, Sr., LSU
Julius Stinson, Sr., Wyoming
Aqib Talib, Sr., Kansas
Tom Zbikowski, Sr., Notre Dame

snp
11/6/2007, 01:24 PM
Reggie is probably our 3rd best DB right now.

Scott D
11/6/2007, 01:25 PM
lemme guess.

DJ, Nic, Reggie in that order?

snp
11/6/2007, 01:40 PM
Yup.

Scott D
11/6/2007, 01:45 PM
Amazing how much more attentive a player can be when at safety compared to corner. ;)

And Sapper should be happy to know that only 5 of the 12 semi-finalists were on the pre-season watch list.

OK2U
11/6/2007, 01:46 PM
Reggie is having a quite, but productive year. I can only remember him getting burned once this year(tulsa). Safeties just seem to be in the middle of more plays, so they get noticed more.

Scott D
11/6/2007, 01:52 PM
Reggie is having a quite, but productive year. I can only remember him getting burned once this year(tulsa). Safeties just seem to be in the middle of more plays, so they get noticed more.

actually, that was more directed about DJ than Reggie.

KRYPTON
11/6/2007, 03:07 PM
lemme guess.

DJ, Nic, Reggie in that order?

Lendy Holmes is looking better too.

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 03:21 PM
How can anyone from the domers be on any awards list?

Landthief 1972
11/6/2007, 03:29 PM

When you D-line consistently misses tackles, and the RB is constantly getting into the secondary, as a safety, you're going to get a lot of tackles.

silverwheels
11/6/2007, 03:33 PM

Zbikowski's a senior and has been doing well for ND for the past few years.

I mean about as well as any defensive player can do for Charlie Weis.

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 03:33 PM
When you D-line consistently misses tackles, and the RB is constantly getting into the secondary, as a safety, you're going to get a lot of tackles.

Well, when you put it like that. :D

Desert Sapper
11/6/2007, 03:46 PM
And Sapper should be happy to know that only 5 of the 12 semi-finalists were on the pre-season watch list.

Quite. I'm also happy that it's not stacked with players from any one conference. Bravo, Jim Thorpe Association! Now, go with your heart and vote for the kid from Edmond. Let's make it 6 of the last 7 winners from the Big XII.;)

Scott D
11/29/2007, 04:28 PM
Bump for Finalists..neither Reggie or Aqib Talib from Kansas made the cut. My personal choice for the front runner is Antoine Cason.

Boston College safety James Silva joined Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason and LSU safety Craig Steltz as a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top defensive back. The winner will be named Dec. 6 as part of the college football awards show.

AlbqSooner
11/29/2007, 09:24 PM
Ask Paul Hornung.