PDA

View Full Version : According to Muslims, Al Qaeda has been Defeated

landrun
11/6/2007, 12:58 PM
Keep waiting and wating and waiting for the press to pick up on this .... :rolleyes:

O1 November 2007
Iraqi Islamic Party: “Al Qaeda is Defeated”

“Al Qaeda in Iraq is defeated,” according to Sheik Omar Jabouri, spokesman for the Iraqi Islamic Party and a member of the widespread and influential Jabouri Tribe. Speaking through an interpreter at a 31 October meeting at the Iraqi Islamic Party headquarters in downtown Baghdad, Sheik Omar said that al Qaeda had been “defeated mentally, and therefore is defeated physically,” referring to how clear it has become that the terrorist group’s tactics have backfired. Operatives who could once disappear back into the crowd after committing an increasingly atrocious attack no longer find safe haven among the Iraqis who live in the southern part of Baghdad. They are being hunted down and killed. Or, if they are lucky, captured by Americans.

Colonel Ricky Gibbs, the American brigade commander with responsibility for the Rashid District in south Baghdad today told me, “So goes South Baghdad goes Baghdad.” General Petraeus had told me similar things about the importance of South Baghdad. In fact, Rashid is quickly developing into what might be one of the final serious battlegrounds of the war.

During the meeting, another member of the Iraqi Islamic Party said that al Qaeda has changed its strategy now that fomenting civil war between Sunni and Shia has backfired. Al Qaeda has shifted targets, now trying to generate friction between tribes. This time, however, the tribes are onto the game early, and they are not playing...

...In fact, more and more meetings in Iraq are turning to day-to-day business, and less time is required on military and security topics like targeting and addressing intelligence-type matters, which until recently monopolized most meetings across Iraq.

OUDoc
11/6/2007, 01:19 PM
Let's hope so.

Where did that story come from?

soonerscuba
11/6/2007, 01:32 PM
I don't trust what American politicians tell me, let alone their comically embellishing Arab counterparts.

mdklatt
11/6/2007, 01:34 PM
Keep waiting and wating and waiting for the press to pick up on this ....

Does an online CBS story from last week count?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/01/politics/animal/main3440653.shtml

opksooner
11/6/2007, 02:10 PM
If only.

TMcGee86
11/6/2007, 02:31 PM
"Al Qaeda in Iraq" is actually the name of one of the main terrorist organizations in Iraq. THey dubbed themselves that not long after the war ended.

It is not "Al Qaeda" in the global sense.

OklahomaRed
11/6/2007, 02:54 PM
They just moved to Pakistan. You will never defeat extremist. You can only fight them going forward.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2007, 02:56 PM
"Al Qaeda in Iraq" is actually the name of one of the main terrorist organizations in Iraq. THey dubbed themselves that not long after the war ended.

It is not "Al Qaeda" in the global sense.

If they are different, someone forgot to tell Bin Laden, Zawahiri and the late, great Zarqawi.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2007, 02:58 PM
They just moved to Pakistan. You will never defeat extremist. You can only fight them going forward.

No, they pretty much got slaughtered in Iraq & Afganistan. Our soliders have been doing some very impressive terrorist killing the last few months, and it has yielded some very nice results. The best being that we can hopefully leave sooner!

TMcGee86
11/6/2007, 03:09 PM
If they are different, someone forgot to tell Bin Laden, Zawahiri and the late, great Zarqawi.

I'm not saying they are "different", it's just that the term "Al Qaeda in Iraq" is a specific name of the terrorist organization there.

So when he says, "Al Qaeda in Iraq has been defeated" he doesnt mean that Al Qaeda is gone.

The group definitely has ties to OBL. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was inferring otherwise.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not saying they are "different", it's just that the term "Al Qaeda in Iraq" is a specific name of the terrorist organization there.

So when he says, "Al Qaeda in Iraq has been defeated" he doesnt mean that Al Qaeda is gone.

The group definitely has ties to OBL. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was inferring otherwise.

Gotcha.

In any case, Iraq has been a miserable failure not for the US, but rather for Al Qaeda.

StoopTroup
11/6/2007, 03:37 PM
So now that the threat is gone...are we leaving soon?

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2007, 03:40 PM

Hopefully.

Unfortunatly, AQ was only part of the problem. Iran is still a problem, as are the militias.

Now we have the wonderful prospect of watching Pakistan fight off AQ's allies for control over a nulcear power, while the largest sponsor of terrorism in the world is trying to build its own nukes.

And being that the life blood of our way of living and economy is at an all time high price, I sorta think we need to keep an eye on the hood over there.

mdklatt
11/6/2007, 03:40 PM

We're leaving next year no matter what when we run out of troops.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2007, 03:44 PM

We aren't running out of troops.

Desert Sapper
11/6/2007, 04:18 PM
We should have annhialated the combined Al Q and TB forces during Op Anaconda in 2002, but the guys we trusted on the backside of the Khyber pass took the bigger money deal from UBL and opened the backdoor to Pakistan.

Now, in Iraq and Afghanistan, we are winning on more than a tactical level daily. Whether the operational results yield strategic results remain to be seen, and as Tuba said, the strategic importance of the region will never go away, especially as long as poverty is the rule in Central and SW Asia and we have dangerously aggressive powers vying for control of resources.

My take, for what it's worth. http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/images/smiles/deshelmet.gif

SoonerJack
11/6/2007, 04:34 PM
DS, that is the coolest smiley ever.

Harry Beanbag
11/6/2007, 05:26 PM
I sense some very bitter people whenever good news is heard from the War on Terror. It's sad, in a pathetic kind of way.

Desert Sapper
11/6/2007, 05:39 PM
DS, that is the coolest smiley ever.

Why thank you. I can't take the credit, though. My Grunt's Forum (http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/index.php)brothers would hunt me down and shoot me if I did. :D

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2007, 05:52 PM
We should have annhialated the combined Al Q and TB forces during Op Anaconda in 2002, but the guys we trusted on the backside of the Khyber pass took the bigger money deal from UBL and opened the backdoor to Pakistan.

Now, in Iraq and Afghanistan, we are winning on more than a tactical level daily. Whether the operational results yield strategic results remain to be seen, and as Tuba said, the strategic importance of the region will never go away, especially as long as poverty is the rule in Central and SW Asia and we have dangerously aggressive powers vying for control of resources.

My take, for what it's worth. http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/images/smiles/deshelmet.gif

Very cogent post. Thank you.

SCOUT
11/6/2007, 09:38 PM
I saw this article as encouraging news too.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20071026/cm_csm/ygerges
A couple of quotes:

Al Qaeda in Iraq faces growing indignation from fellow Sunni Iraqis fed up with its indiscriminate killing of civilians and its Taliban-like religious laws. In the past year, Sunni tribes and fighters have risen against Al Qaeda's branch in Iraq and, working jointly with US troops, killed and expelled scores of its militants from their neighborhoods, particularly from Anbar Province. Besieged both internally and externally, Al Qaeda in Iraq struggles to survive and absorb these catastrophic military setbacks.

But bin Laden's troubles transcend Iraq. Prominent clerics and former militants call into question the very legitimacy of bin Laden's authority as a spokesman for Islam and Muslims. And last month, one of bin Laden's most prominent Saudi mentors, the preacher and scholar Salman al-Odah, wrote an open letter reproaching him for "fostering a culture of suicide bombings that has caused bloodshed and suffering and brought ruin to entire Muslim communities and families."

Bin Laden's Al Qaeda was dealt another shattering blow from within when one of its top theorists, Abdul-Aziz el-Sherif, renounced its extremes, including the killing of civilians and the choosing of targets based on religion and nationality. In the past few months, Mr. El-Sherif – a longtime associate of Zawahiri, who crafted what became known as Al Qaeda's guide to jihad – called on militants to desist from terrorism and authored a dissenting rebuttal against his former cohorts.

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 07:34 AM
I sense some very bitter people whenever good news is heard from the War on Terror. It's sad, in a pathetic kind of way.
I just don't believe the Muslims when they report something is all.

Okieflyer
11/7/2007, 08:37 AM

I see you recieved your fax from the DNC. ;)

mdklatt
11/7/2007, 11:56 AM
I see you recieved your fax from the DNC. ;)

I don't know if the JCS Chairman (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/31/AR2007073100990.html?nav=rss_politics) is a Democrat or not.

Howzit
11/7/2007, 12:13 PM
Those muslims should make a sign whut says مهمة أنجز

OklahomaTuba
11/7/2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know if the JCS Chairman (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/31/AR2007073100990.html?nav=rss_politics) is a Democrat or not.

Unless the Iraqi government takes advantage of the "breathing space" that U.S. forces are providing, Mullen said, "no amount of troops in no amount of time will make much of a difference."

Too true. :cool:

StoopTroup
11/7/2007, 01:13 PM
Sadly true.