PDA

View Full Version : This week Gameday is............

Sooner24
11/5/2007, 11:59 PM
LIVE FROM WILLIAMSTOWN, MA
SATURDAY 10AM ET ESPN ESPNHD

AMHERST COLLEGE
JEFFS
VS
WILLIAMS COLLEGE
EPHS

Boy this should be exciting. :rolleyes:

sooneron
11/5/2007, 11:59 PM
Why not just do it in the studio?

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 12:01 AM
I don't get it. :confused:

Sooner24
11/6/2007, 12:08 AM
The wierd thing is Amherst is 4-3 and Williams College is 5-2.

I don't get it either.

silverwheels
11/6/2007, 12:09 AM
Where have they gone this year?

Week 1: ECU @ VT
Week 2: VT @ LSU
Week 3: USC @ Nebraska
Week 4: UGA @ Alabama (I think)
Week 5: Cal @ Oregon
Week 6: Florida @ LSU
Week 7: Mizzou @ Oklahoma
Week 8: Florida @ Kentucky
Week 9: Ohio State @ Penn State
Week 10: Arizona State @ Oregon

At least it's not at an SEC game this week.

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 01:14 AM
Wow... it couldn't be more boring unless you went to like... Nebraska, Notre Dame, A&M or something. :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
11/6/2007, 01:17 AM
That sounds truly exciting! Can't wait to see all the funny signs!

SoonerKnight
11/6/2007, 01:19 AM
Never even heard of these schools. When did they start playing football?

Chrisrokc
11/6/2007, 01:21 AM
Jesus, why did they decide to have it there.

noobalicious
11/6/2007, 01:33 AM
Some interesting facts:

Williams College
Mascot: A purple cow named Ephelia
Ephs?: Probably named after some dude named Ephrain Williams
Hockey: Apparently their hockey team is undefeated for the last 100+ years? Fact check? Stupid wikipedia...

Amherst College
Mascot: Lord Jeffrey Amherst
Jeffs?: Probably named after that dude.
Nicknamed: The Singing College or The Fairest College
Oldest athletic program in the nation (founded in 1821)

Williams College, Amherst College and Wesleyan College are called the "Little Three". They have rivalries dating back over 100 years.

Apparently the last collegiate football tie was between Williams and Amherst in 1995. It was 0 to 0. :D

Sooner02
11/6/2007, 02:02 AM
Why not do KU at OSU? I know it's not a huge game but could be a potential big upset. Not that I want it to happen.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2007, 02:04 AM
This is like the 120th playing of the game.

Sooner02
11/6/2007, 02:06 AM
Does anyone outside of those two schools care? This is just weird to me.

KantoSooner
11/6/2007, 02:28 AM
Okay, As a rare beast, an Amherst undergrad and OU grad school type (and fourth generation OU'er so don't doubt my Sooner-ism), let me tell you why they put this game up:

1. It's one of if not the longest 'traditional' rivalries going. Something like 120 years.
2. Massive numbers of execs at major tv networks are grads of one or the other.
3. It's Div. 3 football, so it's entertaining in a way that appeals to a certain group of 'purists' who feel that football was somehow 'tainted' when it got to be a big money deal (I don't happen to agree, I'm just reporting here)
4. The match is generally competitive and the teams get some good hate for one another going, so it stays emotional throughout.
5. It's New England, in the fall, so the backdrop is postcard pretty, with the foliage, little white chapels, Norman Rockwell peering around the corner of the bleachers.....

Mind you, Amherst graduates about 450 students per year and Williams a bit more, so it's not a 'big' game, but it is kind of cool in an old school way. There will be 'watch parties' in over 50 countries this year and they are traditionally held jointly between alums of both schools.
Why it has this sort exposure this year, I have no idea. It is a pretty cool quiet game, though.

Sooner1979
11/6/2007, 03:08 AM
I am all for watching an old tradition rich game go over each other with 100+ years of rivalry under the belts...Should be fun to watch...

Doged
11/6/2007, 03:26 AM
I kinda' like this one, too. I know nothing about the schools, but with that much tradition it's probably gonna' be a good show.

DeadSolidPerfect
11/6/2007, 07:09 AM
Okay, As a rare beast, an Amherst undergrad and OU grad school type (and fourth generation OU'er so don't doubt my Sooner-ism), let me tell you why they put this game up:

1. It's one of if not the longest 'traditional' rivalries going. Something like 120 years.
3. It's Div. 3 football, so it's entertaining in a way that appeals to a certain group of 'purists' who feel that football was somehow 'tainted' when it got to be a big money deal (I don't happen to agree, I'm just reporting here)
4. The match is generally competitive and the teams get some good hate for one another going, so it stays emotional throughout.
5. It's New England, in the fall, so the backdrop is postcard pretty, with the foliage, little white chapels, Norman Rockwell peering around the corner of the bleachers.....

6. The game with Saxon Hall was supposed to be a very big deal around Pencey. It was the last game of the year, and you were supposed to commit suicide or something if old Pencey didn't win. - Holden Caulfield told me.

Blues1
11/6/2007, 07:15 AM
It's College Football thats all that Counts ---- I Still want to see OU play Yale or Harvard someday.....:)

Oklahoma 93 - Yale 6 ---- :)

R'

Dio
11/6/2007, 07:36 AM
IT'S DIVISION 3 FOOTBALL!!!!1!

birddog
11/6/2007, 09:03 AM
IT IS INTRAMURALS!!!!

Dr. Jelly Finger
11/6/2007, 09:17 AM
It's Fiction!!!!!1!1!

adoniijahsooner
11/6/2007, 12:57 PM
It's College Football thats all that Counts ---- I Still want to see OU play Yale or Harvard someday.....:)

Oklahoma 93 - Yale 6 ---- :)

R'

The problem with scheduling those IVY league schools is that they dont need the money.

swardboy
11/6/2007, 01:39 PM
Wow... it couldn't be more boring unless you went to like... Nebraska, Notre Dame, A&M or something. :eek:

Gawww!!! I hate spewing Coke through my nose!!!

Breadburner
11/6/2007, 01:44 PM
It's Fiction!!!!!1!1!

"THATS NOT TRUE"........

OUDoc
11/6/2007, 01:52 PM
http://williams.prestosports.com/images/msoc/2007/Game_File_Photos/mskeenest926.jpg

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/6127/saskank1sr.jpg

Sooner98
11/6/2007, 01:55 PM
IT'S DIVISION 3 FOOTBALL!!!!1!

IT'S THE EASTERN COLLEGE ATHLETIC CONFERENCE!!!!111!!1

fadada1
11/6/2007, 02:00 PM
no lie... my dad's girlfriend's 2 sons went to amherst and played football. one played O-Line, the other D-Line. really good guys, very bright, and both were good enough high school players to be very nice D3 players.

i've asked them about this game before, and nearest i can tell, the hatred is similar to OU/texas, auburn/alabama, osu/mich. only thing that seems to be different is more of an "animal house" atmosphere surrounding the game, and much more in the way of "antics" (stealing mascots, pranks, etc...). mind you, they normally got about 200 watching their games (mostly parents/girlfriends/bored, hungover students). for this game, apparently it's like a carnival. they might get a couple thousand. no, it's not 90K, but for them, it's huge.

both have said that this game get's pretty nasty in the trenches.

sooneron
11/6/2007, 02:35 PM

Pretty sure the leaves will be gone by Sat up there. FYI.

I'll tune in for a bit. The signs will prolly be over my head, though.:eek:
Allusions to Chaucer and whatnot.

NYC Poke
11/6/2007, 02:41 PM
Pretty entertaining article on espn. It sounds like a pretty good rivalry, even if it is D-III.

When Zephaniah Swift Moore abandoned Williams in 1821 with a few professors, students and, allegedly, a few library books, to start what is now Amherst College, he couldn't have imagined that the Massachusetts schools would still be battling in 2007.

. . .

The schools' football teams have been sparring in an end-of-the-season grudge match since 1884, with Williams leading the series 68-48-5.

. . .

"When you see a school of 1,650 and a school of 2,150 and you see crowds of 10,000 and 15,000 at these events, it really is pretty spectacular," said Dave Hixon, Amherst's men's basketball coach. "And for the kids, you could be playing for Ohio State, the way the crowd feels."

. . .

But it's clear that the coaches understand that athletics -- even in a rivalry as heated as this one -- take a backseat to academics. "[The student-athletes] are getting the full collegiate experience at a place like Williams or Amherst: They're a student; they're an athlete; they have an opportunity to go home in the summer and do internships that a lot of college athletes don't do. And they still have the venue -- for us, [the game] is piped all over the country and all over the world [through closed-circuit television]. They still get to play in front of 10,000 to 15,000 people on a regular basis, and you know that wherever alums are, they're watching the game together."

. . .

The rivalry is not confined to the players and coaches, however. In the long history of the rivalry, some of the most memorable moments have taken place off the field. Amherst students have accused their Williams counterparts of stealing back the books Moore took with him nearly two centuries ago; a few years ago, Williams' band presented Lord Jeffs supporters with a bill for $1.6 million in late fees for those same books.

Hixon, an Amherst alumnus, said the rivalry has inspired its fair share of pranks between the schools. "Back in the mid-'80s, we had a comic group on campus, an underground group, called Rubber Chicken. And Rubber Chicken was this comic group that pulled all sorts of bits," he explained. "And how they did it, I don't know, but they got into the Williams equipment room and stole all of the Williams home jerseys on the Monday before the [game on] Saturday. And as the Williams equipment manager went to lay them out, he found out that they didn't have them.

"So all hell broke loose, as you might imagine. They didn't really know who it was, and now it looked like Williams was going to have to play at Williams on their homecoming in their away jerseys. It just couldn't happen.

"Rubber Chicken took a picture of themselves -- about 12 guys -- with the jerseys on, but the shirts over their heads, covering their faces. And they sent it to Williams, and the fun began. And on that Thursday afternoon, [Williams'] security office and our security office met halfway up the Mohawk Trail to deliver the jerseys."

The Rubber Chicken incident is hardly the only prank to be pulled; in fact, Williams students are the reason Amherst's mascot, Lord Jeff, no longer carries a sword to games. (It seems the mascot might have been a little too eager to joust when an Ephs supporter stole his hat at a basketball game.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2945751&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

Outopia
11/6/2007, 03:03 PM
Sooneron you slay me dude. "Alusions to Chaucer", toooo much! I can see some of the signs now. Someone ought to start a thread with the signs one will see this Saturday.

fadada1
11/6/2007, 03:13 PM
Sooneron you slay me dude. "Alusions to Chaucer", toooo much! I can see some of the signs now. Someone ought to start a thread with the signs one will see this Saturday.
"My other college is Mann-Whitney U."

Dr. Jelly Finger
11/6/2007, 03:33 PM

"I'd rather be studying for my biophysics final......"

OR

"My trust fund is bigger than your trust fund."

Not very intellectual, but all I got on Tuesday afternoon.

tommieharris91
11/6/2007, 03:54 PM
"Hey Mom and Dad, Yale kicked me out!!"

NYC Poke
11/6/2007, 03:56 PM
I'm sure there are some hilarious puns involving Baron Amherst of Holmesdale and Pontiac's Rebellion, but they elude me.

Outopia
11/6/2007, 04:10 PM
"What have I started?" These are great! Give us more.

fadada1
11/6/2007, 04:14 PM
"Einstein and Fermi couldn't find Manhattan with a map."

Outopia
11/6/2007, 04:31 PM
"fadada 1", that is gold.

NYC Poke
11/6/2007, 04:33 PM
Before the game:

"Mortimer Pembroke-Vanwaspingham for Heisman!"

During the game:

"Win or lose
We have no Jews
And know the square of
The hypotenuse"

After the game:

"Just wait until polo season!"

MamaMia
11/6/2007, 04:36 PM
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. :D

Outopia
11/6/2007, 04:43 PM
Not bad Poke, not bad.

jwlynn64
11/6/2007, 04:53 PM
I had to go to ESPN to make sure that this wasn't some form of April Fools thread. This might be the crappiest decision Gameday has ever made.

Say all you want about the rivalry, etc... they are still Div. III.

I hear that the womens field hockey between Brown University and Providence can get pretty heated! Why not broadcast from there, at least we might get to see a boob pop out or something. That would at least be interesting.

SoonerJack
11/6/2007, 05:03 PM
C'mon people. It won't be that bad. In fact, I'm thinking that between the intellectual type signs that will be displayed, and whatever asininnery that Corso cooks up, this could be the best gameday ever. Now I just have to figure out which team to pull for.

edit: Asininnery is a new word that I made up. Look for it soon on wikipedia.

NYC Poke
11/6/2007, 05:05 PM
C'mon people. It won't be that bad. In fact, I'm thinking that between the intellectual type signs that will be displayed, and whatever asininnery that Corso cooks up, this could be the best gameday ever. Now I just have to figure out which team to pull for.

edit: Asininnery is a new word that I made up. Look for it soon on wikipedia.

You could be bedowngraded for that.

KantoSooner
11/6/2007, 07:22 PM
As a Williams coach once said in motivating a player, "If you can't make this team, you simply can't play football. There is no Div. 4."

That pretty much sums up the football part of the game.

TUSooner
11/6/2007, 07:40 PM

Mind you, Amherst graduates about 450 students per year and Williams a bit more, so it's not a 'big' game, but it is kind of cool in an old school way. There will be 'watch parties' in over 50 countries this year and they are traditionally held jointly between alums of both schools.
Why it has this sort exposure this year, I have no idea. It is a pretty cool quiet game, though.
Sounds good to me! I friend of mine, a very nice and mucho smart girl I went to Moore HS with, used to be the librarian at Williams (before she went to Princeton). It sounds like a cool place. Nice change of pace for Game Day,

TUSooner
11/6/2007, 07:48 PM
Amherst was a British military dude who fought the French and Indians in the F&I War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffery_Amherst

The Massachusetts town was named after him, and the college was named after the town.

On the neg: He was connected to a plan to give Indians in Michigan some small-pox infested blankets so as to kill 'em off in Pontiac's Rebellion.

KantoSooner
11/6/2007, 08:23 PM
It was no plan: Lord Jeff did so. Perhaps the first 'modern' and very intentional use of bio-weapons. All around great guy. Not.

StormySooner-IN
11/6/2007, 08:57 PM
I was laughing through this thread because I thought it was a joke.

So I googled it. Came to wikipedia.

September 1: East Carolina at #9 Virginia Tech
September 8: #9 Virginia Tech at #2 LSU
September 15: #1 USC at #14 Nebraska
September 22: #21 Georgia at #20 Alabama
September 29: #6 California at #11 Oregon
October 6: #7 Florida at #2 LSU
October 13: #11 Missouri at #5 Oklahoma
October 20: #14 Florida at #13 Kentucky
October 27: #1 Ohio State at #25 Penn State
November 3: #6 Arizona State at #4 Oregon
November 10: Amherst College at Williams College
I'll just skip this week for the first time in years, thanks.....

StormySooner-IN
11/6/2007, 09:10 PM

HEH...
August 27, 2000: Georgia Tech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Institute_of_Technology) at #10 Virginia Tech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Polytechnic_Institute_and_State_Universit y) in the BCA Kickoff Classic (Game was canceled due to severe weather. Side note: Lee Corso's rental car was struck by lightning that game)

silverwheels
11/6/2007, 10:54 PM

This might actually be one of the few times it will have been worth watching in the past several years. This isn't about hype or favoritism towards a certain conference/team. It's about the game itself for the first time in a long time. Hopefully the format of the show will reflect this, instead of being a giant crapfest like it has been in recent years.

hOlden caUlfield...
11/6/2007, 11:02 PM
6. The game with Saxon Hall was supposed to be a very big deal around Pencey. It was the last game of the year, and you were supposed to commit suicide or something if old Pencey didn't win. - Holden Caulfield told me.

yep. :cool:

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 11:36 PM
Before the game:

"Mortimer Pembroke-Vanwaspingham for Heisman!"

During the game:

"Win or lose
We have no Jews
And know the square of
The hypotenuse"

After the game:

"Just wait until polo season!"

That sounds eerily familiar.

NYC Poke
11/7/2007, 01:15 AM
From pain comes inspiration.

birddog
11/7/2007, 01:21 AM
i think it's pretty cool. there aren't any marquee games this weekend so i don't think it really matters.

although there could be a case made for them to be at the boone, if only because ku has the best chance of being upset this weekend.

Crucifax Autumn
11/7/2007, 03:29 AM
I think a bunch of Sooners should go their with booger eating signs.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2007, 10:53 AM
I am all for watching an old tradition rich game go over each other with 100+ years of rivalry under the belts...Should be fun to watch...

The 1200 fans that fill up the stadium probably feel the same way. I get the feeling that Randolph and Mortimer Duke will be in the stands... Winthorp too.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2007, 11:06 AM
On the neg: He was connected to a plan to give Indians in Michigan some small-pox infested blankets so as to kill 'em off in Pontiac's Rebellion.

On the pos: He was nominated for Pontiac's Game Changing performance for that trickeration.

fadada1
11/7/2007, 11:14 AM
On the pos: He was nominated for Pontiac's Game Changing performance for that trickeration.
maybe now they'll change the commercial.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2007, 11:29 AM
maybe now they'll change the commercial.

All I can say to that is, thank god for app state.

colinreturn
11/7/2007, 11:43 AM
the site says/ usc vs ucla.?
sorry if this has been mentioned/

11/7/2007, 12:20 PM

You must have missed when they went to Penn about 4 or 5 years ago.

sooneron
11/7/2007, 12:24 PM
The kids up there do pull some great pranks on each other ...

http://www.funnyvideos.tw/funny-videos/latest-funny-videos/yale-students-organize-elaborate-we-suck-prank-against-harvard.html

greatness

11/7/2007, 12:29 PM
Some of the "lesser" games College GameDay have attended.

'01 Army @ Air Force
'02 Harvard @ Penn
'03 USF @ Army
'05 Bayou Classic (Southern v. Grambling)
'07 Amherst @ Williams

There was a purpose for each of those.

Sooner98
11/7/2007, 07:19 PM
I really don't understand why some of you have such objections to this location. Really, why does it even matter where they do it from - it's still gonna be the same thing as always - Chris, Lee, and Kirk talking about all the big games of the week, making predictions on them, lots of "human interest" stories, and hundreds of insane, screaming fans with posters in the background. What would be so much more thrilling to you about having it in say, Athens, GA?

RedstickSooner
11/7/2007, 07:25 PM
All of you are wrong.

They're holding college gameday where they are so that FINALLY, for one frigging week, all of the signs held up behind the Gameday crew will be clever, well thought-out, correct in both spelling and grammar, and neat in their composition.

;)

NYC Poke
11/7/2007, 07:29 PM
I really don't understand why some of you have such objections to this location. Really, why does it even matter where they do it from - it's still gonna be the same thing as always - Chris, Lee, and Kirk talking about all the big games of the week, making predictions on them, lots of "human interest" stories, and hundreds of insane, screaming fans with posters in the background. What would be so much more thrilling to you about having it in say, Athens, GA?

I agree. We all know about the major programs. It's fun to learn about the traditions of college football at some of the lesser-known programs. Each one has a story. That's what makes college football great.

KantoSooner
11/7/2007, 07:56 PM
And there's always the chance of a Trinity/Millsap dealio.....

StormySooner-IN
11/8/2007, 03:17 PM
Pretty sure the leaves will be gone by Sat up there. FYI.
Yea, probably.

All the trees are pretty much Bare around Indy now.

fadada1
11/8/2007, 03:37 PM
over-under on number of washington state flags in the crowd????

Jason White's Third Knee
11/13/2007, 11:46 AM
over-under on number of washington state flags in the crowd????

Sir, the term is homosexua--- oh, FLAGS.... MY bad.

Hey, I missed the game day. Was anyone there? Did Corso put on the Jeffs head or what?

AllAboutThe'O'
11/13/2007, 07:59 PM
Sir, the term is homosexua--- oh, FLAGS.... MY bad.

Hey, I missed the game day. Was anyone there? Did Corso put on the Jeffs head or what?
He brought out the Jeffs head at first but then threw it to the ground and put on the Williams "purple cow" mascot head instead. Then the "purple cows" proceeded to thump the Lord Jeffs, 20-0.