PDA

View Full Version : OU, Missouri, or Kansas gets left out . . .

OK2LA
11/5/2007, 09:47 PM
Two of these teams will likely play in the Big XII Championship Game.

Let's just assume since we're all Soonerfans here, and we take an unbiased look at the remainder of our schedule, and say that we make it through unscathed . . . to the BigXII Championship game - ok - go ahead and post a win for us.

Obviously, the other opponent will be in the top 5 likely top 3 in the BCS. (Once they get past the big game they have against one another.)

The loser of the Big XII Championship game will likely get the other BCS at large bid, and leave that third team (that has done so well and made it through a tougher than expected Big XII Conference) out of luck in getting to a BCS game.

This is the way I see it happening - what say you edumacated viewer?

kevpks
11/5/2007, 09:55 PM
OU= Fiesta or MNC game
Mizzou= BCS at-large (no clue which one)
Kansas= Cotton
Texas= Gator

Soonerus
11/5/2007, 09:57 PM
OU= Fiesta or MNC game
Kansas= Cotton
Texas= Gator

Not bad....

utex74
11/5/2007, 10:26 PM
Not bad....

While the next two games, especially Tech, scare the hell out of me, here is a little SI prediction to kick around for entertainment purposes only.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl.projections/index.html?eref=T1

cheezyq
11/5/2007, 11:02 PM
While the next two games, especially Tech, scare the hell out of me, here is a little SI prediction to kick around for entertainment purposes only.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl.projections/index.html?eref=T1

Unfortunately for Texas, that scenario ain't happenin'. The Fiesta Bowl got huge press because of the OU/BSU game last year, and I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to take a KU (assuming they make it to the CCG) or even MU as another Cinderella-type team over an established team going through a "down" year.

The biggest question mark is whether they consider MU or KU teams that will travel well. Given that the KSU fans are considered to have traveled very well in the 1997 and 2003 Fiesta Bowls, they'll likely consider the circumstances the same and choose the winner between KU and MU.

Breadburner
11/5/2007, 11:05 PM
Caption this pic.....

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl.projections/t1_charlescosby.jpg

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 11:07 PM
Once we beat BU and TT...aren't we a lock for the CCG?

Flying Scotsman
11/5/2007, 11:09 PM
Caption this pic.....

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl.projections/t1_charlescosby.jpg
"I need you now more than ever...."

SoonerMom2
11/5/2007, 11:11 PM
OU wins out and we are in the Big 12 Championship game as we represent the south. MO and KS will fight it out for the right to play us as both are in the North. Depends on how far one of them drops after they play each other. Would think KS would drop the farthest if they lose to MO because they have no track record and played a horrible non-conference schedule plus did not play OU, TX, or Tech from the south.

Not sure if the Big-12 would even get another team in the Fiesta if we went to the NC game. It would mean that MO or KS lost to us in the Big 12 and we already beat MO once and if MO beats KS, the Jayhawks will drop like USF and be out of the top 8 would be my guess.

yermom
11/5/2007, 11:31 PM
if MU loses to KU, they are probably out of the BCS picture

if KU loses in the CCG, they would probably be the only team with a shot from the Big 12

if we make it to the CCG and lose, i think we are going to the Cotton Bowl

GottaHavePride
11/5/2007, 11:32 PM
"I ****in' need you more than ever...."
http://photos22.flickr.com/31291382_09cc4a4cc5.jpg

yermom

i think OSU could win out and possibly go

if we only lost to OSU and OSU and Texas win out we are all tied at 6-2, we'd have the tiebreaker over Texass, but they have it over OSU, and OSU would have it over us. i'm not sure how that would be decided, maybe BCS ranking or overall record, i don't remember...

StoopTroup
http://photos22.flickr.com/31291382_09cc4a4cc5.jpg
nice :D

:pop:

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 11:34 PM
i think OSU could win out and go
But only if Texas lost another game I think.

silverwheels
11/5/2007, 11:34 PM
i think OSU could win out and go

Only if Texas loses again. If OSU wins out, we only lose to them, and Texas wins out, we go to San Antonio.

utex74
11/5/2007, 11:43 PM
Unfortunately for Texas, that scenario ain't happenin'. The Fiesta Bowl got huge press because of the OU/BSU game last year, and I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to take a KU (assuming they make it to the CCG) or even MU as another Cinderella-type team over an established team going through a "down" year.

The biggest question mark is whether they consider MU or KU teams that will travel well. Given that the KSU fans are considered to have traveled very well in the 1997 and 2003 Fiesta Bowls, they'll likely consider the circumstances the same and choose the winner between KU and MU.

There are two assumptions. One (sorry) is you do not go to the MNC game, so the Fiesta is yours. Second is ticket sales and fan (TV) support. This is what the at large selections will be based on. Both KU and MU have sold out only one game all year, and that was Nebraska. So you know where those tickets went. No large number of fans or large number of TV's tuned in to watch them.

While us winning out is still a question, I think the number of TV's and tickets sold to out of town fans can tilt the choice to UT over even a one loss KU. I hate to compare the two but that is exactly why ND got a BCS game every damn year they were eligible.

Sooner Eclipse
11/5/2007, 11:46 PM

No, assuming we beat BU and TT, we are only a lock if UT wins out. If they do, we win the tie breaker in the unfathomable event of losing to osu.

If UT loses to aTm or TT, we have to win all 3 if osu gets by KU and BU. Other wise it will be a 2 way tie with OU and osu, and they will have the tie breakers via the head to head win.

Sooner Eclipse
11/5/2007, 11:49 PM

if we only lost to OSU and OSU and Texas win out we are all tied at 6-2, we'd have the tiebreaker over Texass, but they have it over OSU, and OSU would have it over us. i'm not sure how that would be decided, maybe BCS ranking or overall record, i don't remember...

It then goes to south division records. in that scenario it would be:
oSu 3-2
OU 4-1
UT 4-1

That would eliminate oSu. Then the 2 way tie is decided by head to head. RRS decides the south again.

sooneron
11/5/2007, 11:54 PM
OU= Fiesta or MNC game
Kansas= Cotton
Texas= Gator
Very good chance of that. I sat with the Gator Bowl reps on my flight into OKC last Friday. They are big on texas playing there if they win out.

pott_2
11/5/2007, 11:56 PM
The Big 12 is so weak.. Is there a font that denotes sarcasm?

Widescreen
11/6/2007, 12:11 AM

The Oklahoman said in an article this morning that if your scenario plays out, we go to the CCG due to various other tie-breakers. On principle, let's just not lose to the Pokes.

SoonerKnight
11/6/2007, 12:18 AM
The Oklahoman said in an article this morning that if your scenario plays out, we go to the CCG due to various other tie-breakers. On principle, let's just not lose to the Pokes.

In Norman it will be a beat down of those whiney bastards!!!!

Ground_Attack
11/6/2007, 12:31 AM
that assumes that OSU beats KU...which I don't see happening. That will give them 3 conference losses.

Crucifax Autumn
11/6/2007, 01:44 AM
Every bit of this speculation must also consider what the rest of the top 10 does, particularly the top 5. In the event that LSU, OSU, and UO all manage to lose another game and maybe 2 there could easily be an OU-KU rematch in the national championship, espescially if there are some losses from the rest of the ranked teams that aren't Big 12 schools. Regardless, if it all works out we'll have 2 Big 12 teams in BCS games, one in the championship and one in the Fiesta.

yermom
11/6/2007, 09:37 AM
that assumes that OSU beats KU...which I don't see happening. That will give them 3 conference losses.

i'm just saying that it's not a "lock" if we beat Baylor and Tech