PDA

View Full Version : Please give me a "different" recipe for potatoes

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:25 PM
TIA.

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:28 PM
we dont know what you've had, what kind of potato are you looking into? roasted, twice baked, au gratin?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/5/2007, 05:29 PM
Halve or quarter, boil with skin on until firm, but fork tender.

Drain and drizzle with olive oil or butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley.

Serve to trashcan and make boxed pasta.

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:29 PM
we dont know what you've had, what kind of potato are you looking into? roasted, twice baked, au gratin?

yes....

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:35 PM
Halve or quarter, boil with skin on until firm, but fork tender.

Drain and drizzle with olive oil or butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley.

Serve to trashcan and make boxed pasta.

I've done that before! :pop:

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:36 PM
roasted: cut up red potatoes into bite size peices, drizzle EVOO, salt-n-pepa, rosemary, thyme. Throw in a 400-425 degree oven for about 30-60 minutes, depends on your oven and how crispy you want the oustides of the taters.

twice baked: bake several russets in the oven. take out and let cool. cut in half length ways. scoop out tatery goodness and put in a mixing bowl, but try not to damage skins. Mix in sour cream, little bit of cheese, green onion, fresh bacon bits, salt and pepper. Do all of this to taste. Then scoop tater mixture back into the skins and cover with a little shredded cheese. Put back in oven until cheese is nice and melty.

au gratin: I have never tried it, but go to allrecipes.com and try one out

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-strip-steaks-with-sweet-potato-hash-browns

The sweet potato hash browns in this recipe are good.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 05:41 PM
Mongo,

Remember that time when were doing some black bag work for the NSA in the Irish countryside? Man it seems like all we ate for 3 days was potatoes. Glad you finally got that head shot in and we got to go home.

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-strip-steaks-with-sweet-potato-hash-browns

he wanted "different", not "ghey different"

Veritas
11/5/2007, 05:42 PM
My wife takes sweet potatoes and cut them into spears, kinda like steak fries and boils them for about 10 minutes to get them softened.

She then tosses them in an aluminum foil pouch along with brown sugar and some chili powder and grills them for, oh, maybe 6 minutes.

Supa dupa awesome.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 05:42 PM
uckfay ouyay.

Mongo, not V-tittays.

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:43 PM

DID I SAY "SWEET" POTATOES?!
I think not. GO to your room! :mad:

(nice looking recipe, though)

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:44 PM
My wife takes sweet potatoes and cut them into spears, kinda like steak fries and boils them for about 10 minutes to get them softened.

She then tosses them in an aluminum foil pouch along with brown sugar and some chili powder and grills them for, oh, maybe 6 minutes.

Supa dupa awesome.

What's with the Sweet poatatoes?! Y'all wanna make me go to the store? :rolleyes:

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:44 PM
Mongo,

Remember that time when were doing some black bag work for the NSA in the Irish countryside? Man it seems like all we ate for 3 days was potatoes. Glad you finally got that head shot in and we got to go home.

That's when we had our Irish thanksgiving, few boiled potatos and a twelve pack of beer.

I would have made the shot earlier if you would have spotted for me instead of doubling over from the constipation from all them taters

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/aLR_Potatoes.gif

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:49 PM
An aside: I just had maybe the worst vodka martini I have ever made. It was fabulous. :)

WILBURJIM
11/5/2007, 05:55 PM
Boil some (6) potatoes, cut up. Fry up some bacon, cut up. Lightly sautee some celery and onion then add the potatoes and bacon keep sautee-ing. When potatoes are tender, add mixture of 1/2 C vinegar, 1/2 C water, 1/3 C brown sugar and 2 Tblspns cornstarch. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a bit til the mixture gels and you've got German potato salad.

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:55 PM
An aside: I just had maybe the worst vodka martini I have ever made. It was fabulous. :)

what was funny was your thread about martinis. I read a couple of posts and then said to the wife, "I am thirsty for some martinis, I'm going to the booze store"

you are a hell of a salesman:D

Mjcpr
11/5/2007, 05:57 PM
what was funny was your thread about martinis. I read a couple of posts and then said to the wife, "I am thirsty for some martinis, I'm going to the booze store"

Remember that time when you read Howzit's thread about BJs?

Mongo
11/5/2007, 05:58 PM
Remember that time when you read Howzit's thread about BJs?

DO I, man, I ran out and gave a bunch of BJ's.

I am such an impulsive person

proud gonzo
11/5/2007, 06:01 PM
boil a small potato, peel off teh skin and funny colored bits, then mash it with a fork and add powdered sugar until it's the consistency of play-doh. Then roll it out 1/4" thick and spread it with peanut butter. roll it up like a jelly roll and cut it in slices.

potato candy = awesome

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 06:07 PM
That'd be cool if he was in, say, Kindergarten.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 06:08 PM
Some of you people's spek comments make me think you need therapy.

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 07:17 PM
Vodka is the best potato recipe I know.

handcrafted
11/5/2007, 08:23 PM
First, make teh awesome mashed potatoes (i.e., mine--cheese, sour cream, and bacon). Then make potato pancakes with the leftovers: Throw a raw egg in for every 2 cups of potatoes you have left, beat well, then add some flour to dry 'em out and add some solidity. Form into patties and fry in lots of butter. Salt-pepper to taste. Goes great with omelettes.

OUinFLA
11/5/2007, 08:55 PM
geeze people.
TU: Nuke it, butter it, eat it.

30 minutes after you have eaten it, it won't matter how you cooked it, you'll still feel full.

TopDaugIn2000
11/5/2007, 09:04 PM
cut into wedges. coat with olive oil, season salt, pepper, garlic, etc. bake on a cookie sheet (lined with foil) at 400 for about 45 minutes or until crispy on the outside and yummy on the inside. EASY and YUMMY

TopDaugIn2000
11/5/2007, 09:06 PM
get the litte red potatos and cut into chunks. boil (with the skin on) until fork tender. mash, add butter, cream, parm cheese, garlic, green peas. yes. green peas. it's the YUM

salth2o
11/5/2007, 09:07 PM
Cut some taters into cubes, put them into a skillet with a little grease. Fry them until they are soft and just before you take them out, add some chopped onion.
We call them "Mushies"

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 09:08 PM
get the litte red potatos and cut into chunks. boil (with the skin on) until fork tender. mash, add butter, cream, parm cheese, garlic, green peas. yes. green peas. it's the YUM

Stop sounding like Rachel Ray. Makes me wanna bash my face against the keyboard.

TopDaugIn2000
11/5/2007, 09:18 PM
don't talk like that. I ****in hate that *****

Rogue
11/5/2007, 09:30 PM
Disclaimer...you know I'm from Idaho originally, right?

German Potatoes - boil (yeah like everyone on here said...fork tender) then cool. Cut up however you like 'em and fry 'em up with bacon chunks, lots of pepper, a little garlic. When they're about done add a dash of sugar, a shot of vinegar, and some butter....mmm mmm. Dad calls 'em "sheepherder potatoes." Dill is good in these too.

Boil 'em. Cool 'em. Toss in melted butter, shredded & grated parmesan, chopped garlic, and some rosemary. Liberally add salt and pepper, and probably some more parm because you didn't use enough at first. Bake at the usual (350) for about 30 minutes. If they aren't brown and pretty, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes. Eat and enjoy.

Me, I just like to boil 'em, cool 'em, cut 'em, and fry 'em up crispy with lots of onions, salt, and pepper. I make huge batches of 'em boiled and cut up with onions and freeze them. Seriously, I always have taters ready for breakfast on a moment's notice.

Potato soup, potato pancakes, potato rolls, you gotchyer potato dumplings, yer potato balls, potato.

You can make a good mess and just make some good old fashioned freedom fries.

I worked with a chef once that would parboil thin slices of potatoes, line a pan with them, and fill it with salmon and other stuff, then wrap the potatoes all around it, slice it up and saute' these little potato-wrapped salmon loaf patties...greatness.

I like my mashed potatoes a little lumpy. Again, rosemary, parm, and garlic are greatness in mashed potatoes.

You can make some great variations of potato salad.

Homemade potato chips...mmm mmm.

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 09:52 PM
The winner:
Roasted.
I nuked 3 of for 10 minutes, just to get em started,
Then cut into ewedges, coated with olive oil, and dusted (liberally) with Tony Chachere's & Mrs Dash. Baked at 400 for about 30 min.
Teh win!

soonerhubs
11/5/2007, 10:11 PM
Mormon Funeral Potatoes...YWIA. These are the best potatoes EVAR!!! (http://murphymaphia.com/node/815)

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 10:14 PM
Mormon Funeral Potatoes...YWIA. These are the best potatoes EVAR!!! (http://murphymaphia.com/node/815)
How many Mormons must die for these to be any good?

soonerhubs
11/5/2007, 10:16 PM
How many Mormons must die for these to be any good?
My better half made them a couple weeks ago. No one died, but I thought I was in Potato Heaven. :)

Oh... and I prefer holding the corn flakes. But some weird Mormons like it.

Weird Mormon=Redundant. I know.

TopDaugIn2000
11/5/2007, 10:16 PM
you can also cut them into chunks and coat them with olive oil and a package of onion soup mix. bake until yummy

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:31 PM
don't talk like that. I ****in hate that *****

:hot:

silverwheels
11/6/2007, 03:02 AM
Tortilla de patatas. Chorizo. Queso.

SoonerTerry
11/6/2007, 07:08 AM
Dammit.. I forgot to hit 1 for engrish

OUDoc
11/6/2007, 09:01 AM
Anyway, like I was sayin', potato is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, potato-kabobs, potato creole, potato gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple potato, lemon potato, coconut potato, pepper potato, potato soup, potato stew, potato salad, potato and potatoes, potato burger, potato sandwich. That- that's about it.

proud gonzo
11/6/2007, 12:04 PM
Anyway, like I was sayin', potato is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, potato-kabobs, potato creole, potato gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple potato, lemon potato, coconut potato, pepper potato, potato soup, potato stew, potato salad, potato and potatoes, potato burger, potato sandwich. That- that's about it.POTATO CANDY! :mad: