PDA

View Full Version : Good bye Franocchio

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 02:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710

Unfortunate... most unfortunate.

I was hoping for years of Little Debbie gorgefests.

Purportedly, Tubberville targeted as the primary replacement.

soonerlaw
11/5/2007, 02:32 PM
I heard this as well. This sucks. I love Coach Fran, especially the coaching jobs he had done against us. He will be missed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2007, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710

Unfortunate... most unfortunate.

I was hoping for years of Little Debbie gorgefests.

Purportedly, Tubberville targeted as the primary replacement.Tubberville would be a good hire for maroon aggy. He does well in an aggy environment, and might siphon off some whorn recruits that OU doesn't get.

DreamZ22
11/5/2007, 02:35 PM
I am shocked. I cant believe it, I didnt see it coming. What a great coach. Hopefully he goes to Neb to get that program turned around!!!

soonerlaw
11/5/2007, 02:37 PM
Lid, does this mean that the TX-TAMU game this year will be much closer since Fran won't be around to lose it?

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:42 PM
Lid, does this mean that the TX-TAMU game this year will be much closer since Fran won't be around to lose it?

I may be wrong, but didn't fran beat Texas last year?

yermom
11/5/2007, 02:45 PM
why would you go from Auburn to aTm?

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:46 PM

Maybe he has ambitions of coaching at Bama one of these days?

Mac94
11/5/2007, 02:46 PM
Losing to an Oklahoma school has been painful this year:

A few days after losing in Stillwater to Oklahoma State ... Texas Tech's Mike Leach fires his defensive coordinator.

A few days after being embarrased at home in a loss to Oklahoma State .... Nebraska fires their athletic director Steve Peterson.

A few days after a loss to Tulsa ... SMU fires their head coach Phil Bennett.

And now a few days after losing 42-14 in Norman to the Sooners .... coach Fran just might be getting the ax.

Who knows, you guys may do in Guy Morris next week with a major whooping on Baylor ... or maybe it'll come down after a loss to Oklahoma State on the 17th.

Octavian
11/5/2007, 02:47 PM
farewell, Fran.

It was better than we could have ever hoped.

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 02:47 PM
I may be wrong, but didn't fran beat Texas last year?

And but for.. he would have been gone last year.. and thereby deprive us of the delicious schadenfreude which we have been experiencing at aggy's expense this year.

See, ... pyrrhic victory. :D

Mac94
11/5/2007, 02:56 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10453939

CBS reporting its done.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 03:05 PM

My guess is $$$$$$, both in pay for the coach, and in budget, facilities, etc.
If someone could turn that program around they'd be showered with riches and adulation. That being said: it's gonna be an awful big job.

...and yeah I know Auburn is no slouch when it comes to money, facilities, recruiting base, etc.. but the ceiling is higher at atm...IMO

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 03:10 PM
Texags.com is down

So is...............wait for it.........Hornfans.com :D

snp
11/5/2007, 03:36 PM

Because a few big boosters have tried to get him canned for a couple years now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285976

A&M has more money and better recruiting grounds as well.

yermom
11/5/2007, 03:38 PM
i had kinda forgotten about that

i thought they were ok with him after 2004 though

snp
11/5/2007, 04:13 PM
I don't think TT will leave for A&M but mostly because he has a very young team and A&M has no talent outside of Goodsen returning next year.

I think he'll just use A&M to get a raise.

Octavian
11/5/2007, 04:16 PM

agreed.

A&M should go after Terry Bowden. He'd be perfect.

Jacie
11/5/2007, 04:23 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Fran was the golden boy who turned things around for TCU. He left them for what many coaches would consider one of the top jobs in college football, Alabama. After his departure, the Frogs continued to have success on the field. This is from killerfrogs.com:

Since the 1998 season, TCU has won 4 conference titles, two in the Western Athletic Conference (1999 & 2000), one in Conference USA (2002), and one in the Mountain West Conference (2005). Since 1998, TCU has amassed a record of 79-30. In four of the last five years, the Horned Frogs have won at least 10 games in a season, and won 11 games in three of the last four. During this period TCU has won marquee games against Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Utah and BYU. From 1998 to 2006, TCU has attended 8 bowl games, winning five of them.

Fran only stayed at bama for two seasons, leaving after the 2002 season, winning 10 and losing only 3. Yes, Tide fortunes declined the following year under Mike Shula. Record-wise bama went up and down during his term but they are up again under Saban and there's no reason to think that program won't return to some semblance of the team their fans are used to.

Instead, Fran ran out on them for one of the stranger places to coach in D-1, Texas A&M. Going there was maybe even weirder than had he gone someplace like BYU. Why he thought that was a step up from Alabama is beyond anyone who pays attention to college football but in light of recent events I am guessing money, a lot of it and perhaps a big chunk of that coming under the table had a lot to do with luring him there.

And now, in four and part of five seasons, he has taken that program in the opposite direction from what the aTm moneymen who financed him expected.

And just where can he get a job now? Would even Baylor or SMU consider him? I doubt it.

Do you think looking back he wishes he'd stayed at TCU?

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2007, 04:26 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Fran was the golden boy who turned things around for TCU. He left them for what many coaches would consider one of the top jobs in college football, Alabama. After his departure, the Frogs continued to have success on the field. This is from killerfrogs.com:

Since the 1998 season, TCU has won 4 conference titles, two in the Western Athletic Conference (1999 & 2000), one in Conference USA (2002), and one in the Mountain West Conference (2005). Since 1998, TCU has amassed a record of 79-30. In four of the last five years, the Horned Frogs have won at least 10 games in a season, and won 11 games in three of the last four. During this period TCU has won marquee games against Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Utah and BYU. From 1998 to 2006, TCU has attended 8 bowl games, winning five of them.

Fran only stayed at bama for two seasons, leaving after the 2002 season, winning 10 and losing only 3. Yes, Tide fortunes declined the following year under Mike Shula. Record-wise bama went up and down during his term but they are up again under Saban and there's no reason to think that program won't return to some semblance of the team their fans are used to.

Instead, Fran ran out on them for one of the stranger places to coach in D-1, Texas A&M. Going there was maybe even weirder than had he gone someplace like BYU. Why he thought that was a step up from Alabama is beyond anyone who pays attention to college football but in light of recent events I am guessing money, a lot of it and perhaps a big chunk of that coming under the table had a lot to do with luring him there.

And now, in four and part of five seasons, he has taken that program in the opposite direction from what the aTm moneymen who financed him expected.

And just where can he get a job now? Would even Baylor or SMU consider him? I doubt it.

Do you think looking back he wishes he'd stayed at TCU?

I can't speak for SMU, but there's no chance in hell that we hire him.

Widescreen
11/5/2007, 04:27 PM
I don't know what some of you people are smoking. The Pokes have already declared Stoops to be the next Aggie coach.

SOONERKAT
11/5/2007, 04:34 PM
I don't think TT will leave for A&M but mostly because he has a very young team and A&M has no talent outside of Goodsen returning next year.

Funny you should mention Goodson. According to the "fine" folks over at TexAgs (prior to their crash), Goodson had made some off-hand comments after the game that made it seem like he was going to pursue a transfer out of atm. Apparently, he has already been looking into other schools to transfer to.

Between players wanting to transfer, players leaving early (possibly Bennett), and their recruiting class falling apart, it would be a huge risk for TT to leave. I keep hearing Tedford's name mentioned here in Houston.

ashley
11/5/2007, 04:47 PM
When the real story about why Goodson did not play the first half comes out it is gonna make Fran look worse than ever. He should have never let him on the field. Coach Stoops would have bought him a bus ticket home in a second.

Widescreen
11/5/2007, 04:49 PM
When the real story about why Goodson did not play the first half comes out it is gonna make Fran look worse than ever. He should have never let him on the field. Coach Stoops would have bought him a bus ticket home in a second.
PINS AND NEEDLES!!!!11!!

OUstud
11/5/2007, 04:50 PM
why would you go from Alabama to aTm?

fixed. :rcmad:

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 04:50 PM

yeah, spill it or it reeks of "I know and you don't...nanny nanny boo boo."

ashley
11/5/2007, 04:52 PM
Can't, promised a friend in coaching.

Boarder
11/5/2007, 04:55 PM
You like that little green dot?

OUinFLA
11/5/2007, 04:59 PM

heh, Gig Em................oops. I didnt really mean that :D

1890MilesToNorman
11/5/2007, 05:00 PM
He did lose his $1200 per email subscription income, maybe the buyout will be $1200 for each email in his sent items folder.

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:07 PM
If you can't tell us, why did you tell us you KNEW? :rolleyes:
bushhhhh league

TUSooner
11/5/2007, 05:08 PM
yeah, spill it or it reeks of "I know and you don't...nanny nanny boo boo."

Maybe it's pillow talk?

aurorasooner
11/5/2007, 05:09 PM
When the real story about why Goodson did not play the first half comes out it is gonna make Fran look worse than ever. He should have never let him on the field. Coach Stoops would have bought him a bus ticket home in a second. I guess I should be checking out the San Antonio newspaper for the next couple of days. They seem to have all the aTm scoop.

KingBarry
11/5/2007, 05:20 PM

Ash -- can you give us a hint? Was it academic in nature? Criminal in nature? Was it a purely football/sports matter? A personal problem? Did it involve a woman? A combination of these? Something else?

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 05:34 PM
Ash -- can you give us a hint? Was it academic in nature? Criminal in nature? Was it a purely football/sports matter? A personal problem? Did it involve a sheep? A combination of these? Something else?

Tightened that up a wee bit for accuracy sake.

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 05:44 PM
ohhhhh... the schadenfreude is just so.... delicious...

Goodson yelled at Fran before the OU game.. Goodson wants to transfer to LSU.. Fran is gone.. no he's not... we've already talked with Tuberville.. no we have not... Byrne denying anything is in the works... coach's press conference tomorrow... no bowl game for aggy... no wait.. we still have a chance...

Delicious... :D

aurorasooner
11/5/2007, 05:50 PM
Perhaps I'm not up on current trends, but is it common for coaches to suspend players for 1 quarter or 1 half of a game? I know Clownahan suspended that Nebraska DL Suh (or whatever his name is) for beating the cheet out of another Nebraska player -- for 1 quarter of (I think) the aTm game, and now Fran suspends Goodson for 1 half of a game. I just can't remember any other coaches invoking the 1/4 game or 1/2 game penalty box as a disciplinary action and not at least a full game at the minimum, but I haven't really bothered to analyze it. Just out of curiosity has Bob or Mack ever suspended a player for a partial game?

birddog
11/5/2007, 06:17 PM
BOB STOOPS TO A&M!!

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=43697

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 06:23 PM

Yeah, but you had no problem letting everybody know that you knew...

Ash
11/5/2007, 06:24 PM
A&M denies the story

A&M denies buyout rumors:
A&M coach to be evaluated after season
Associated Press, Updated 31 minutes ago

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - Texas A&M will wait until the end of the football season before deciding the future of coach Dennis Franchione, who was rebuked this year for allowing boosters to buy information about his players.

The Aggies have underachieved in Franchione's five seasons, losing ground to the elite teams in the Big 12 and slipping out of the national spotlight.
His standing clearly was undermined by the discovery of subscription e-mails to boosters that gave information about players. Franchione's contract paid him more than $2 million a year and ran through 2012.

CBS Sportsline and the Houston Chronicle reported Monday that Franchione and the school were working on a buyout deal that would take effect at the end of this season.

"There are several false rumors circulating regarding the Texas A&M football program," the school said in a statement.

Athletic department spokesman Alan Cannon said athletic director Bill Byrne will wait until after the season to evaluate Franchione, as he does with all coaches.

"I have received no indication that he has changed his stance," Cannon said.

Franchione has a 31-28 record at A&M and is 2-12 against main rivals Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. A&M plays Missouri on Saturday.

On Sept. 20, the Aggies lost 34-17 to Miami on national television. A week later, a newspaper revealed a series of e-mails that Franchione had been sending to boosters, who paid $1,200 to receive them. The e-mails contained news about players' injuries, their academic standing and Franchione's blunt assessments of their skills.

Byrne was never aware of the e-mails until a newspaper reporter asked about them. On Oct. 11, Byrne admonished Franchione, ordered him to shut down his personal Web site and fired Mike McKenzie, Franchione's longtime personal assistant and author of the e-mails.

The school began an internal investigation and reported the findings to the NCAA, acknowledging possible rules violations. A&M is awaiting a response from the NCAA.

Byrne said the scandal would be part of Franchione's postseason evaluation.

"The Aggies are embarrassed right now," Byrne said on Oct. 11. "This has been a very unfortunate incident we do not want to experience again."

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 06:28 PM

what little green dot? :D

KantoSooner
11/5/2007, 06:28 PM
Ash -- can you give us a hint? Was it academic in nature? Criminal in nature? Was it a purely football/sports matter? A personal problem? Did it involve a woman? A combination of these? Something else?

Well, just for speculation's sake, let's see what a combination would look like:

could it have been an affair with a female athletic department tutor that went awry and got very kinky (involving, no doubt, collies and sheep), stepping over the line into outright illegality and causing him to consult with his priest (with whom he had a long-standing 'relationship'), question his commitment to the school and/or football itself and miss several classes, thus putting his academic elegibility in question (but the priest then steps back into the picture, by supplying Jesuit-written terms papers)?

Or could he just be sick of playing for Fran?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/5/2007, 06:38 PM
If you guys knew what Goodson did, which I do, to have a half game suspension slapped on him, then you'd know that I know about what you wished you knew when all the time, I knew that you didn't know about me knowing about having known it in the first place.

But I can't tell you guys what I know, I promised some coaching friends of mine.

Ash
11/5/2007, 06:40 PM

No, because I have no idea what ashley is talking about. Sorry.:O

tulsaoilerfan
11/5/2007, 07:00 PM
Why would you go from Alabama to ATM? :D

MiccoMacey
11/5/2007, 07:27 PM
If you guys knew what Goodson did, which I do, to have a half game suspension slapped on him, then you'd know that I know about what you wished you knew when all the time, I knew that you didn't know about me knowing about having known it in the first place.

But I can't tell you guys what I know, I promised some gay dancer friends of mine.

NTTAWWT. :)

ashley
11/5/2007, 08:09 PM
It will surface. Don't get too excited but it was definetly not what they reported on TV during the game. Playing him really ****ed of the administration. Showed a complete lack of dicipline and the bossed knew about as did the team.

Charla
11/5/2007, 08:15 PM
My question exactly. How much money does it take to wanna b a LOSER

badger
11/5/2007, 08:39 PM
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4799/funtopicuf6.jpg
Na na na na...
Na na na na...
HEY HEY HEY...

GOODBYE!!!

Dan Thompson
11/5/2007, 09:41 PM
The rumor mill has it that Robert Gates has a job waiting for him.

Soonerus
11/5/2007, 09:45 PM
The rumor mill has it that Robert Gates has a job waiting for him.

Huh, I heard from a friend who overheard at a restaurant that Bush Jr. is in line for the job...

Stitch Face
11/5/2007, 09:53 PM

At $1200 an email you'd be crazy not to.

Stitch Face
11/5/2007, 09:55 PM
He did lose his $1200 per email subscription income, maybe the buyout will be $1200 for each email in his sent items folder.

Oops, you beat me to it.

Ash
11/6/2007, 12:07 AM
LOL. I should've taken the rus approach with the update I posted.

critical_phil
11/6/2007, 12:16 AM
LOL. I should've taken the rus approach with the update I posted.

and what would that be? starting 6 new threads?

Ash
11/6/2007, 12:17 AM
and what would that be? starting 6 new threads?

At least 3 or 4. :D

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 12:27 AM
BOB STOOPS TO A&M!!

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=43697

The coaching profession is like any other job. There is zero loyalty. They take the cash. Texas A$M will offer Stoops a big raise and OU will either pony up the cash or lose him to the aggies. Your making it sound like you can't win at A$M. They have the Money, facilities and fan support. I guarantee you Bobby thinks he can win a Ntl Championship there. No one thought Saban would leave the Dolphins to go to Alabama.

Haha... wow! Bob Stoops turned down the DALLAS COWBOYS sickly talented football team and Jerry Jones' millions to stay at OU, now he's Nick Saban and will bail for an aggy program? We really need a LMAO emoticon here! :D

Newsflash aggy, Saban left Miami because Miami sucked, and someone was willing to pay him $4 Million a year! Gumby has a better chance of leaving under that clause.

KRYPTON
11/6/2007, 08:56 AM
Regarding the Mike Goodson transfer rumor, thank the maker we have all the RB's we have and thus wouldn't go after him.

He's dirrrrtayyyy... he's from the part of houston where we live, and the story of his recruitment was spectacularly sleazy. Some of it came out in public, like when he went to OSU and suddenly went home halfway through his official. Reportedly they, uh, didn't like his terms. But A&M put his mommy to work as a secretary in Bryan/CS for $80K+ a year while his dad serves time for credit card fraud... etc etc...

Good stuff. Probably 80% false, but great stuff nonetheless.

OUmillenium
11/6/2007, 09:20 AM
How did we lose if we were ahead?

MamaMia
11/6/2007, 09:32 AM
As was discussed when Mr. Franocchio left Alabama in the middle of the night, all sneaky like, many of us felt then that he was bringing bad karma upon himself.

badger
11/6/2007, 10:38 AM
Some Texas A&M and Texas fans are starting to b*tch and moan that OU only wins with Texas players.

I've tried the argument that Texas and A&M don't have enough roster spots for all the talented Texans and in many cases, don't recruit most of the ones that end up at OU, OSU and other Big 12 schools. I've also tried to tell them their schools also win with out-of-state talent on the roster.

Alas, they cannot see the light that there is a very good reason these players leave the "great state of Texas." Texas just sucks, man.

<<< And not only that, but the golden hat is up here in Oklahoma :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/6/2007, 10:50 AM
Some Texas A&M and Texas fans are starting to b*tch and moan that OU only wins with Texas players.

I've tried the argument that Texas and A&M don't have enough roster spots for all the talented Texans and in many cases, don't recruit most of the ones that end up at OU, OSU and other Big 12 schools. I've also tried to tell them their schools also win with out-of-state talent on the roster.

Alas, they cannot see the light that there is a very good reason these players leave the "great state of Texas." Texas just sucks, man.

<<< And not only that, but the golden hat is up here in Oklahoma :DThis is the correct answer to several questions, some of which have prolly not even been asked. Besides, maybe there will be an even-steven swap of Franoccio for Tubers!