PDA

View Full Version : Aggy Lament: "How Did We Get Passed By Kansas?"

MikeInNorman
11/5/2007, 01:29 PM
Surfing for schadenfreude over at Orangepower, I ran across this gem:

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=43709

The topic originator is asking the right question, but from the wrong premise: that Aggy is some sort of great football power compared to KU. So much golden Aggy Logic in this thread, I just had to share.

sooneron
11/5/2007, 01:44 PM
I don't know why I click on these threads and then proceed to read their tripe.

You're about to see the dead horse I've been beating for the entire season.

When KU's blimp is carted away to a bigger and better buffet somewhere else at the end of this season, you're going to see exactly how much "further" along they are than us. The cycle will begin again for them, and they'll go back to being mediocre or worse while we steadily improve year after year with a coach who can recruit to Oklahoma State better than anyone we've hired in several years.

Kansas will not be in a BCS bowl game this year - they'll go to the equivalent of the Cotton Bowl, and then in the next couple of years they'll be asking the same question you're asking.

It's a cycle, and to move out of it you have to look long-term. It's not "wait until next year." I don't expect us to win the National Championship next year. But I expect us to be better than we are this year, like we're better than we were last year.

Uh, doesn't this happen at osu every coaching change?

Breadburner
11/5/2007, 02:01 PM
You have to agree there is no doubt the fan base over there is more than qualified to make an assesment such as that.......

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 02:15 PM
Because their coach is an asshat who hires the wrong assistants, does a poor job of gameday management and hasn't been able to recruit defensive players for ****.

That would be the answer.

sooner518
11/5/2007, 02:19 PM
Because their coach is an asshat who hires the wrong assistants, does a poor job of gameday management and hasn't been able to recruit defensive players for ****.

That would be the answer.
his hair is very tall. is that worth anything?

OUDoc
11/5/2007, 02:23 PM
"How Did We Get Passed By Kansas?"
They win their games, chokers.

Desert Sapper
11/5/2007, 02:42 PM
Funny, I thought this was going to be a thread making fun of everyone that can't understand how our Sooners got bypassed by KU.

silverwheels
11/5/2007, 02:50 PM
That is exactly why it's so hard for me to root for OSU. Their fans have no perspective on where they stand in the world of college football. They think they're some kind of great program that's only getting better and will soon challenge OU and Texas for Big 12 supremacy.

No. Not even close.

Lott's Bandana
11/5/2007, 02:55 PM
More HI-larity:

"OSU has the world's best running back every(sic) and Heisman winner, Barry Sanders, Hall Of Fame HB Thurman Thomas and a slew of pros playing on Sunday to talk about. Kansas has Gale Sayers and Bobby Douglas to boast of. Our guys are still alive."
-------
...not to mention the embarrassing blowouts at Athens and Troy (sounds more like Persian Army disappointments...)
-------
...we're back to having to defeat OU to salvage our pride.
-------
The only north program since 2000 that has been better than OU or Texas this year was Nebraska in '00 and '01 (and those days are long gone). What? How does one get so convoluted?
-------
Gundy would find a way to **** away 4 games without breaking a sweat.
-------
How did we get passed by Kansas? Defense. They play a little.
-------

How naive I have been! I have wanted to see [hairGel] booted from his orange throne, but why would I want to discourage some of the best laughter I have enjoyed in many moons.....? This crew is priceless...

MikeInNorman
11/5/2007, 03:25 PM
Don't forget this brilliant rationale for why they will beat KU:

"We beat an undefeated and highly ranked CU team I believe back in the 70's on a very warm day, I think that history may be with us on Saturday more than it was playing Texas"

Chrisrokc
11/5/2007, 03:26 PM
I love it how one of them said Texas and OU are having a down year. ROFL

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, this is not the most idiotic thread on our board today. I'm surprised none of you noticed this while you were there:

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=43697

achiro
11/5/2007, 03:36 PM
like we're better than we were last year.
7-6 last year, 5-4 this year with KS, Baylor and OU. They could easily lose two of three of those... can you say 7-6 or 6-7 depending on the bowl opposition(if they go to one). I can't imagine how that is a "better" year, especially when one of the losses is to freaking TROY!!!!:D

silverwheels
11/5/2007, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, this is not the most idiotic thread on our board today. I'm surprised none of you noticed this while you were there:

Wow.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/5/2007, 04:01 PM
It's a cycle, and to move out of it you have to look long-term. It's not "wait until next year." I don't expect us to win the National Championship next year. But I expect us to be better than we are this year, like we're better than we were last year.

LoSuRs 2006 after 9 games- 5 wins 4 losses, including a meltdown against mighty Houston, and accomplishing a one point loss to the real Aggies in overtime.

LoSuRs 2007 after 9 games- 5 wins 4 losses, including a meltdown against mighty Troy, and accomplishing a one point loss to the real Aggies, but this time in regulation.

Yes, much improvement... in comic relief, anyway.

Lott's Bandana
11/5/2007, 04:03 PM

I've found myself a new "Favorites" page today.

This was the cherry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstateguy987

he's their next barry switzer. in every facet.

CRAP!

That means he is going to win two more national championships. :mad:

mdklatt
11/5/2007, 04:04 PM

I think Stoops has better chance of being Head coach at OSU before A&M, and we all know what kind of chance he has of being head coach at OSU is.

:D

Widescreen
11/5/2007, 04:17 PM
Don't forget this brilliant rationale for why they will beat KU:

"We beat an undefeated and highly ranked CU team I believe back in the 70's on a very warm day, I think that history may be with us on Saturday more than it was playing Texas"
Allsome. 30 YEAR OLD HISTORY IS ON THEIR SIDE, BAYBEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
11/5/2007, 04:17 PM

You seem like the reasonable sort.

How do you stand it?

It's the very definition of delusional. Really, we're talking about Fort Supply East here. And the frequency of posts like that on your site is downright alarming. If I were a mod over there I think I would have to perma-ban morons like that to keep the site from being an absolute laughing stock. (Or, as I noted before, the "laughing stockyards"...)

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 04:28 PM

How do you stand it?

It's the very definition of delusional. Really, we're talking about Fort Supply East here. And the frequency of posts like that on your site is downright alarming. If I were a mod over there I think I would have to perma-ban morons like that to keep the site from being an absolute laughing stock. (Or, as I noted before, the "laughing stockyards"...)

There are idiots on every board, and fan message boards are never great bastions of rationality. Losing like we did on Saturday really brings out the trolls in droves.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 04:33 PM

How do you stand it?

The same way we handle the ones on our football board

Veritas
11/5/2007, 04:33 PM
There are idiots on every board, and fan message boards are never great bastions of rationality. Losing like we did on Saturday really brings out the trolls in droves.
Oh my lord an objective Poke. I'm going to give out my first ever spek to a Poke.

Ooooh, I feel dirty.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 04:37 PM
Oh my lord an objective Poke. I'm going to give out my first ever spek to a Poke.

Ooooh, I feel dirty.

I shall neg jihad you for your infidel ways.

SoonerWally
11/5/2007, 05:03 PM
Amazing comments in the Tulsa world article, http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectID=231&articleID=071105_2_B4_NoArt53557, that kind of sum up the Aggy lament. My personal favorite is "we need to all go to Stillwater, party at the tailgates, go to Joes or the hideaway and NOT buy tickets."

mdklatt
11/5/2007, 05:08 PM

Since you seem to be a reasonable person, here are some things I've always wanted to know about the oSu fans.

1. What is with the obsession with bandwagon fans? All programs have bandwagon fans. Let me rephrase that: All good programs have bandwagon fans. And I'm sure all the oSu car flags I saw in December of 2001 and 2002 were being flown by true orangebloods. :rolleyes:

2. Do you guys really think you don't have any white trash fans? Seriously? I mean come on, Stillwater is in Oklahoma same as Norman. I see plenty of toothless wonders in correctional facility orange, but admittedly not as much as in crimson (but see #1).

3. Gooners is all cheaters! *cough*HartLeeDykes*cough* Okay, I guess that's not really a question.

4. And what about "gooners"? WTF? I don't think it's possible to even vocalize that word without sounding inbred. While we're at--"Zero U"...you do realize that makes you guys "Zero State", right?

Thanks for your responses. I'll take this off the air.

SleestakSooner
11/5/2007, 05:11 PM
I never liked the orange kool-aid...

SleestakSooner
11/5/2007, 05:20 PM
More WAAAAAAAAAA!

11/5/2007 8:25:05 AM, Cowboyfan, Gundy's an idiot
Ditto to a comments from SBJ
I feel cheated and want a refund. Everyone on the field is paid, coaches, players etc. We in the stands are the people making this happen. They FAILED and we should get our money back. My two tickets face value is $510 (2x255) gas from Tulsa is about $40. Good luck filling a stadium with 60,000 when you cannot fill the 40,000 some you have now. Clean out all the coaches. We have gone straight downhill since Les left. Hopefully Gundy and his staff has seen their saleries decline as well

...fall off that bandwagon much?

MikeInNorman
11/5/2007, 05:20 PM
For the "waste retention pond half full" type of Aggy, the bright side of Kansas passing Aggy in football is the hope that the Game Day crew might come to town again someday. Not because "uo" is there, either, but a different highly ranked Aggy opponent, Kansas. Everyone remembers Game Day's last appearance in Stoolwater, right?

http://webpages.charter.net/dhammond/espn.jpg

SleestakSooner
11/5/2007, 05:25 PM
Oh and then there is this little gem...

11/5/2007 11:37:19 AM, Houstonian, Houston
Everybody is a genius. I am sure a group of Kansas fans were calling for Mangino's head for years. So much for the armchair experts.

This team is still two years away...unless of course we want to find outlaws that want to get a cushy job at one of the car dealerships.

You can only coach what you have and get the most of what they are capable of.

Bandwagon fans...SELL YOUR TICKETS...and don't come back once we have success.
This program has had two recruiting classes that Gundy and staff can call their own, which have been great (Year one was stop gap at best). This program is going in the right direction whether some know it or not.

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 05:26 PM
Since you seem to be a reasonable person, here are some things I've always wanted to know about the oSu fans.

1. What is with the obsession with bandwagon fans? All programs have bandwagon fans. Let me rephrase that: All good programs have bandwagon fans. And I'm sure all the oSu car flags I saw in December of 2001 and 2002 were being flown by true orangebloods. :rolleyes:

2. Do you guys really think you don't have any white trash fans? Seriously? I mean come on, Stillwater is in Oklahoma same as Norman. I see plenty of toothless wonders in correctional facility orange, but admittedly not as much as in crimson (but see #1).

3. Gooners is all cheaters! *cough*HartLeeDykes*cough* Okay, I guess that's not really a question.

4. And what about "gooners"? WTF? I don't think it's possible to even vocalize that word without sounding inbred. While we're at--"Zero U"...you do realize that makes you guys "Zero State", right?

Thanks for your responses. I'll take this off the air.

No argument here. I don't like all that stuff. I think Stoops tries to run a clean program and the deal with RB was just an example of a coach (and the program as a whole) falling victim to overzealous boosters, a problem at any school.

As for the mindless namecalling, that's just fans being fans. It doesn't bother me when I see it here (or elsewhere), and it shouldn't bother you when you see/hear it from our fans. Besides, do the names really bother you when you can just point to the trophy case?

mdklatt
11/5/2007, 05:29 PM
...fall off that bandwagon much?

$40 for gas from Tulsa to Stillwater? Damn. Even if that's round trip, it's time to sell the Excursion.

mdklatt
11/5/2007, 05:34 PM
As for the mindless namecalling, that's just fans being fans. It doesn't bother me when I see it here (or elsewhere), and it shouldn't bother you when you see/hear it from our fans.

See, if you're going to call somebody names, at least be clever about it. Don't leave room for a comeback (i.e. "Zero U"). Even in elementary school I was pointing out the logical flaws of insults. If what you say is really what you are, you're the one who said "naked movie star", not me. Amazingly, I did not got beat up in elementary school.

Besides, do the names really bother you when you can just point to the trophy case?

:texan:

swardboy
11/5/2007, 05:37 PM
NYC Poke:

Besides, do the names really bother you when you can just point to the trophy case?

I'm open-minded....I can like this Poke.

Desert Sapper
11/5/2007, 06:10 PM

Best line of the thread. :D

mdklatt
11/5/2007, 06:13 PM
From OP.com

OSU is still better off than KU, though, at least they have some past talent, success and history to draw from. KU has almost nothing.

From cfbdatawarehouse.com

KU: 546-520-61 (.484)
oSu: 488-483-41 (.482)

It doesn't look like KU is passing oSu so much as leaving them farther behind.

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 06:18 PM
From OP.com
OSU is still better off than KU, though, at least they have some past talent, success and history to draw from. KU has almost nothing.

I posted that. I was exchanging emails with 2 friends from high school, one of whom is a Sooner and the other a Jayhawk. That is a quote from the guy who went to KU.

SoonerBOI
11/5/2007, 06:19 PM
I get my morning laugh reading from op.com. How did KU passed them? KU is playing better football than them.

MikeInNorman
11/5/2007, 06:28 PM
A new gem from OKCPoke:

"Typical arrogant attitude. Does this guy think that there isn't a coach in the country that is a great coach that wouldn't come to OSU to coach if given equal money and seeing the opportunity? This is the chance of a lifetime, the best facilities in the country, huge amounts of donor cash and fans that take a lickin and keep on tickin. I suppose we could always start paying players...nahhhhhhhh."

Wow. So much delusion, so little understanding of the world of college football.

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 06:31 PM
A new gem from OKCPoke:

"Typical arrogant attitude. Does this guy think that there isn't a coach in the country that is a great coach that wouldn't come to OSU to coach if given equal money and seeing the opportunity? This is the chance of a lifetime, the best facilities in the country, huge amounts of donor cash and fans that take a lickin and keep on tickin. I suppose we could always start paying players...nahhhhhhhh."

Wow. So much delusion, so little understanding of the world of college football.

I almost responded to that, but I decided it was better to let the thread die. He can be a little, uh, strident.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/5/2007, 06:42 PM
He can be a little, uh, strident.

Isn't that the stuff you put on zits?

You put that guy on zits?

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 06:44 PM
Isn't that the stuff you put on zits?

You put that guy on zits?

No dumbass, Strident is the guy from Lord of the Rings.

Sooner1979
11/5/2007, 07:01 PM
Why do the Aggs use the comeback that they have only had a couple of recruiting years under Gundy? They had their best years as a football team under Lester the Molester...I would think that their best recruits would have been following the years he accomplished something their...You can't have a solid recruiting class based on donor money and facilities alone...If that is the case, then their "we dont pay players like OU does" comments do not hold water...Sure, if a player who is considering going to OU,OSU and Tulsa and the position they play is full at one of the other schools, then maybe they choose OSU because of facilities, but they usually go to a school based on winning championships and being in the National spotlight...

As much crap as I give OSU, they are a pretty solid team this year, but just havent learned how to finish...They have a really good offense...They need some play makers in the secondary to start finishing these games...I guess only time will tell if Gundy is the right man for the job...

Lott's Bandana
11/5/2007, 07:28 PM
No dumbass, Strident is the guy from Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, that guy. The one with the bad complexion and is always chewing sugarless gum while he castrates Dorcs.

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 07:37 PM
I read through a few of the ones posted the other night but OP is so full of those threads that slapping down links to them from here just gives them what they want IMO....

A big brother (OU) that makes fun of them when they pee their pants.

:pop:

goodonya
11/5/2007, 07:58 PM
Alex, I'll take "Unquestioned Underperforming College Football Team In Oklahoma since the Bronze Age" for $1000

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 08:05 PM
OK....here's your $1000 question....

"867-5309 wasn't a number HC Mike Gundy used to call a recruit and she didn't play on the team either..."

Stitch Face
11/5/2007, 09:44 PM
Amazingly, I did not got beat up in elementary school.

Sure, sure.

tommieharris91
11/5/2007, 10:08 PM
Amazing comments in the Tulsa world article, http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectID=231&articleID=071105_2_B4_NoArt53557, that kind of sum up the Aggy lament. My personal favorite is "we need to all go to Stillwater, party at the tailgates, go to Joes or the hideaway and NOT buy tickets."

Well ****, I don't think half of our fans could afford $85+ a pop for conference games. I sure wouldn't go to games if I had to pay $1200 for season tickets and watch a 6-6 team. I really think they are pricing other teams' fans out of the market.

tommieharris91
11/5/2007, 10:36 PM
A new gem from OKCPoke:

I don't anyone there realizes that this is how Boo-mar got OU on probation. Situations like this one have put a lot of other teams on probation, as well.

Jello Biafra
11/5/2007, 11:55 PM
any team that allows 311 yards in the 4th quarter after dominating the entire first three quarters and allows a slow, white, beat up qb to FING RUSH for 106 yards.....is not even worth discussing......

take your asss whippings and like it.

hows dexter manley doin anyway?

MNsooner
11/6/2007, 12:04 AM
hasn't been able to recruit defensive players for ****.

Do you need to recruit for defense when you have best offense in the universe?

NYC Poke
11/6/2007, 12:11 AM
Do you need to recruit for defense when you have best offense in the universe?

Our offense is so good we have our former quarterback starting at linebacker.

Wait . . .

A Sooner in Texas
11/6/2007, 12:14 AM
hows dexter manley doin anyway?

shouldn't that be

hows X doin' anyway?

Just another product of that fine Poke edumacashun.

:D