PDA

View Full Version : Where the heck did that emotion come from?

achiro
11/5/2007, 12:32 PM
Not that I am an advocate of trash talking and cockyness from anyone on a football field, in fact I usually hate it, it was really good to see from this team on Sat. Kelly getting all up in the db's face after that catch, now coming from him you know that something was up. The last few years the professional/get OUr business done attitude is nice but the raw emotion was great to see for a change.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 12:38 PM
I dont know that Bob that it was so great though. I think you can go a couple of ways with that. I saw a few receivers Saturday catch passes and then pull their jersey back to flex their muscle or different guys making routine plays and acting like punks. I like the fact our guys dont act like...Well LSU players

Boomer.....
11/5/2007, 12:42 PM
Speaking of the trash talk, has anyone figured out why we were the ones who got the personal foul after their player threw MK and then shoved Iglesias after the play was over?

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 12:43 PM
I was happy to see the emotion. OU has been known to play with a swagger, and since the conference season began this year, we lacked it. It was great to see it back last week.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 12:44 PM
Speaking of the trash talk, has anyone figured out why we were the ones who got the personal foul after their player threw MK and then shoved Iglesias after the play was over?

Seeing the replay, the flag was thrown when Iglesias got into the DBs face. Right or wrong, Iglesias should have left it alone.

sooner518
11/5/2007, 12:45 PM

Becuase John Bible was on the field??

cvsooner
11/5/2007, 12:55 PM
No, Bible was at the Mizzou-Colorado game.

Animal Mother
11/5/2007, 12:55 PM
Jacking with another player and getting him to snap as the referee sees him is a lost art. ATM is always running off at the mouth, no matter how bad of an azzhat OU or anyone else gives them. I think our guys had reached the end of their rope and made some bad decisions. On the other hand, it's gotta be hard to play for Franchione when the guy looks like someone at the country club during a polo match instead of a guy coaching a football team.He's as out of place on the sidelines as a new Rolls Royce at a demolition derby.I've seen corpses that are more animated.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/5/2007, 01:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=233120201

swardboy
11/5/2007, 01:41 PM

Wowser! Thanks JKM. That site has three sources for Sooner ringtones!!!!

soonerhubs
11/5/2007, 01:52 PM
I'm watching the game right now. How there wasn't a penalty on A&M as well is beyond me. That long haired DB should have got a flag as well for pushing JI after the play was blown dead.

Ash
11/5/2007, 02:04 PM
I was happy to see the emotion. OU has been known to play with a swagger, and since the conference season began this year, we lacked it. It was great to see it back last week.

ghey

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:07 PM
ghey
Sorry, but it was the best way I could put it.

OU has not been playing with emotion since they opened up conference play. They did against A&M.

44BluesExplosion
11/5/2007, 02:10 PM
The emotion actually started with a defensive holding "no call" against our long haired pal while trying to keep track of Kelly. Kelly was discussing the no call with the ref when the long haired A&M fellow slapped him on the butt. Kelly actually brushed it off, but after the next play the DB did it again. Kelly did not brush that one off and a war of words started.

While the two were jabbing at each other, JI showed a sense of humor and came up behind the long haired fellow and slapped him on the ***... The very next play Kelly beat him on a fly pattern and the trash really started flying.

Desert Sapper
11/5/2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry, but it was the best way I could put it.

OU has not been playing with emotion since they opened up conference play. They did against A&M.

Agree. I like to see that confidence and fight in our players. We used to always take the field knowing that we would beat the other team. I miss that. I just want to see us hang half a hundred by halftime on Baylor this week. Not that I have any dislike of the bears or their fans, but it would be nice to not doubt the outcome from the first snap until the final whistle.

Seamus
11/5/2007, 02:32 PM
On the other hand, it's gotta be hard to play for Franchione when the guy looks like someone at the country club during a polo match instead of a guy coaching a football team.He's as out of place on the sidelines as a new Rolls Royce at a demolition derby.I've seen corpses that are more animated.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/images/coach/coachfran.jpg

http://www.movieactors.com/freezes1/SinCity41.jpeg

Collier11
11/5/2007, 03:09 PM
I will take a trash talking penalty from time to time, as long as it isnt thuggish. If it is just competitive talking like what MK was doing, he even said that he was just frustrated cus he was playing bad and he needed to let out some aggression...I like that personally!!!

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 03:20 PM
As the trash talk was going on and the game was getting a little frisky, I was thinking...could this be the turning point where we get that little something back that's been missing. Call it swagger, or what you will, but I like it when we act like we own the d**N field, and the other team just might as well recognize that fact.

Ash
11/5/2007, 03:27 PM
I like it when the team PLAYS like it owns the damn field.

All the "swagger" doesn't mean jack**** if the team plays like crap.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 03:36 PM

All the "swagger" doesn't mean jack**** if the team plays like crap.

I like it when we play like it....and we act like it. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/5/2007, 04:10 PM

Exactly.

All the yippin' back and forth is just thug trash. There's no place on the field for it in my book. Now head butts (of the non-Gus Frerotte variety), celebration, chest and bootie bumps, et cetera, that's just good stuff. Kejuan Jones at the Cotton Bowl caliber stuff. But when a player pops up after a great play and instantly puts his mug in a opponent's just so he can run the hole God put in his face, I gotta say no.

Show excitement. Show love. Let it ALL hang out. It shows us you're leaving it all on the field. But don't act like a punk. It doesn't take being a punk and talking sh*t to some poor clown you just embarassed to show you're in it to win it.

AlabamaSooner
11/5/2007, 04:27 PM
Swagger

Collier11
11/5/2007, 04:32 PM
Swagger

Dont say that word around here, the old crusty's claim there isnt such a thing ;)

AlabamaSooner
11/5/2007, 05:00 PM
Dont say that word around here, the old crusty's claim there isnt such a thing ;)

Yeah, just poking a little fun at how some people can't stand it. :P I hear ya.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 10:20 PM

Say what they want, but it's one of those somewhat indefinable qualities that good teams, really good teams anyway, seem to have. I hope Saturday night was the start of us getting it back!

setem
11/5/2007, 10:34 PM
Something gave OUr boys a real shot of life! I am really glad to see them run on emotion. So many other teams with less talent play with so much more emotion than us and I think that is what we have been missing! Just gotta keep that intensity and everything else will take care of it's self.

Stitch Face
11/5/2007, 10:53 PM
We used to always take the field knowing that we would beat the other team.

Are you talking about the 50s, the 80s, or the early 2000s?

MNsooner
11/5/2007, 11:17 PM
Call it swagger, or what you will, but I like it when we act like we own the d**N field, and the other team just might as well recognize that fact.
Exactly. Almost crudely poetic. That is exactly what has been kind of lacking from OU football at times over the last couple of years. The sense not of entitlement, but of tradition. That Oklahoma is football and when you play football against Oklahoma you are playing against a team that has owned football since before many of us were born and owns football now and will continue to own football.

God, I love OU football

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 11:18 PM
What do you think about "Swizzle''?

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2007, 11:19 PM
If somebody could use "crunk" in this thread my life would be complete.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 11:26 PM
Exactly. Almost crudely poetic. That is exactly what has been kind of lacking from OU football at times over the last couple of years. The sense not of entitlement, but of tradition. That Oklahoma is football and when you play football against Oklahoma you are playing against a team that has owned football since before many of us were born and owns football now and will continue to own football.

God, I love OU football

To have a post of mine called: "almost crudely poetic." I'm at a loss for words how much this means to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart. :)

MNsooner
11/5/2007, 11:27 PM
Well, you already used the word crunk....

But, if you just want someone else to...

crunk

StoopTroup
11/5/2007, 11:27 PM
Gundy really has some swizzle in his crunk.

MNsooner
11/5/2007, 11:28 PM
To have a post of mine called: "almost crudely poetic." Well, I'm at a loss for words how much this means to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart. :)
:P It almost seems backhanded. However, I assure you it isn't.

GottaHavePride
11/5/2007, 11:29 PM
Swaggart

http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/images/swaggart.jpeg

Crunk.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 11:41 PM
:P It almost seems backhanded. However, I assure you it isn't.

No offense at all taken. Being crudely poetic is something I'm always striving for. It's just that to be recognized for it makes all the hard work worthwhile. :D

Ash
11/6/2007, 12:10 AM
Swagger is a ghey word pimped by Kirk Herbstreit.

I'll take the King's word that winning has nothing to do with all of the extraneous indefinable crap that sports hacks and fans talk about - it's about talented players playing well.

47straight
11/6/2007, 12:14 AM
All in all I'd rather not have our players resemble the University of Miami. But 44BE's account of the events is pretty funny.

SoonerKnight
11/6/2007, 12:29 AM
No one should come into Norman and think that they can out play us. the sure as hell should not talk trash on our field because it IS our field. I think it's great the players had their MOJO back. Now we need to keep it and trash the Baylor cubs and then blow sand on those raiders then beat the crap out of the cow pokers. If we can do all that then we can show the rest of college football the SOONERS are back with a vengence!! If you know what I mean. ;)

goingoneight
11/6/2007, 12:50 AM
I personally think aTm sucked god awfully, and we should have beaten them way worse than Miami, who also pwn3d them. The players getting excited was kinda cool, until i found out that it was a thuggish kind of excitement from Stoops. He was NOT happy with Malcom and Juaqin. Those are guys who have been around long enough to know you don't deface OUr program, and they let their tempers get the best of them after they both struggled for a little while. Kelly finally caught a deep ball and got up acting like a Miami player or an aggie who just beat OU. He knows he messed up, too... he's not normally like that.

Something was said and combined with malcom struggling the last few games on the deep passes, I think he just snapped. And cool as it is to see JI playing well this year, he is still a hothead when someone mouths off to him or one of his friends. I'm pretty sure Stoops laid down the law by now and hopefully those guys learn to utilize their fire by playing better. Great players like AD, TRRW and PT were guys who didn't show their anger, they used it.

SoonerKnight
11/6/2007, 01:18 AM
I personally think aTm sucked god awfully, and we should have beaten them way worse than Miami, who also pwn3d them. The players getting excited was kinda cool, until i found out that it was a thuggish kind of excitement from Stoops. He was NOT happy with Malcom and Juaqin. Those are guys who have been around long enough to know you don't deface OUr program, and they let their tempers get the best of them after they both struggled for a little while. Kelly finally caught a deep ball and got up acting like a Miami player or an aggie who just beat OU. He knows he messed up, too... he's not normally like that.

Something was said and combined with malcom struggling the last few games on the deep passes, I think he just snapped. And cool as it is to see JI playing well this year, he is still a hothead when someone mouths off to him or one of his friends. I'm pretty sure Stoops laid down the law by now and hopefully those guys learn to utilize their fire by playing better. Great players like AD, TRRW and PT were guys who didn't show their anger, they used it.

I agree! But I still like the emotion! They can yap as long as they don't commit the personal fouls. Football is about **** talking but also about showing it on the field. I'm not for them acting like thugs but I am for them have a lit fire under their arses!!

Crucifax Autumn
11/6/2007, 01:30 AM
I think our guys were just sick of having their nuts squeezed by faggies.

SleestakSooner
11/6/2007, 08:02 AM

http://www.nndb.com/people/502/000026424/phil-hartman-sized.jpg

Did someone say "Swagger"?

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 08:47 AM
Swagger is a ghey word pimped by Kirk Herbstreit.

I'll take the King's word that winning has nothing to do with all of the extraneous indefinable crap that sports hacks and fans talk about - it's about talented players playing well.

...and sometimes they play well because of a certain "attitude" that they have about themselves, about the game, about their team. Call it swagger or something else, but it's there, and it's real.

Johnny Utah
11/6/2007, 10:13 AM
I know that in writing this I run the risk of being told that there are other threads on this topic. I live in the Atlanta area and am exposed to way too much SEC "hype". However, I have to admit that emotion is a huge part of what defines SEC football. It seems that the players and the fans both feed on the emotion(s) generated by one another, and this often seems to affect visiting nonconference teams. Emotion is also probably ONE of the factors that led to Floridas blowout of Ohio State, as they seemed to play with a ton more of it. Living here I didn't get to see the OU A&M game, but agree with the previous posters that it's good to see the Sooners play with more emotion than in previous games/seasons.

Ash
11/6/2007, 10:59 AM
...and sometimes they play well because of a certain "attitude" that they have about themselves, about the game, about their team. Call it swagger or something else, but it's there, and it's real.

There's a psychological aspect to sports.

Then there's stupid things that are attributed to the success or lack thereof of college football teams when people can't see what's really going on - like swagger.

OKC-SLC
11/6/2007, 11:03 AM
My favorite:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=233120201

mfosterftw
11/6/2007, 12:01 PM

I had some Cap'n Crunk for breakfast this morning...

http://webpages.charter.net/mactartan/Marc/capncrunk.jpg

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 12:04 PM
There's a psychological aspect to sports.

Then there's stupid things that are attributed to the success or lack thereof of college football teams when people can't see what's really going on - like swagger.

In this case the psychological aspect is attributed to a little psychological phenomenon called: SWAGGER :D

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 12:06 PM
You can't stop the SWAGGER, just get out of it's way before it runs you over!. :D :D :D

Collier11
11/6/2007, 12:08 PM
This entire discussion that we have had on here 1249 times has a definition, it is: The ability to take ownership of the game at any time and know that once you do this the game is yours and the other team cant do sh*t about it, whether it is swagger, confidence, crunkability, or whatever!!! I like to call it swagger, if the old timers dont believe in that it is fine! :)

Ash
11/6/2007, 12:21 PM
You're all wrong.

But your swagger persuaded me.

I'm going to swagger into bosses office and tell him I need a raise because regardless of my performance, I'VE GOT SWAGGER DAMMIT! :eek: ;)

Curly Bill
11/6/2007, 12:25 PM
You're all wrong.

I'm going to swagger into bosses office and tell him I need a raise because regardless of my performance, I'VE GOT SWAGGER DAMMIT! :eek: ;)

It's a lock!!!...but still, let us know how it turns out. ;)

Desert Sapper
11/6/2007, 02:48 PM
Are you talking about the 50s, the 80s, or the early 2000s?

All of the above...and the 70's. I think the King would agree that emotion is good, if you use it to take over a game...which our players did last week, and his players did all the damn time. Throughout Sooner history, some of our best players displayed serious attitude when they owned their opponent, including just about everybody that played for Barry.

I particularly liked the coin toss before the '01 OB and just about any time the Boz set foot on the field.

Oh...and pretty much every time Barry talked about anything. Ever.

Collier11
11/6/2007, 02:51 PM
You're all wrong.

Nice to have you finally!! Geesh!!

MojoRisen
11/6/2007, 02:54 PM
Crap talk - good - just fine gets the fire burning and we need it sometimes- even Bob called the team robotic at times - even though he meant it as a kind of compliment.

I say - it is a good thing- Uzzies camo's and cocain- not so good.

sanantoniosooner
11/6/2007, 06:23 PM
I'm so good my crunk has swagger.

Collier11
11/6/2007, 06:29 PM
I'm so good my crunk has swagger.

Too bad your Swagger isnt Crunk!!! ;)

josh09
11/6/2007, 08:43 PM
Not that I am an advocate of trash talking and cockyness from anyone on a football field, in fact I usually hate it, it was really good to see from this team on Sat. Kelly getting all up in the db's face after that catch, now coming from him you know that something was up. The last few years the professional/get OUr business done attitude is nice but the raw emotion was great to see for a change.

I agree, that was some good stuff.

We definately need to play like that the rest of the year, especially at tech.