11/5/2007, 11:34 AM
Dixon Sam

TDs 20 25
Ints 3 5
Yards 2074 2156

Why is Dixon the frontrunner by so far?

piusbovis
11/5/2007, 11:43 AM
To be fair, Dixon has done that against Michigan, USC, and Arizona State.

mOUse
11/5/2007, 11:44 AM
Dixon Sam

TDs 20 25
Ints 3 5
Yards 2074 2156

+549 yrds rushing and 8 more td's
(edited by the voice of reason)

freshchris05
11/5/2007, 11:48 AM
seniority... media coverage...

they beat USC, USC is the greatest dynasty evar... like the patriots...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 11:48 AM
Bradford throws 5 TDs Saturday and its not even an afterthought. I dont understand that

yermom
11/5/2007, 11:49 AM
yeah, i'd say Bradford's numbers aren't as impressive. they are both really good though.

Dixon your mouth

:D

Boomer.....
11/5/2007, 11:49 AM
Nike.

yermom
11/5/2007, 11:52 AM
Bradford throws 5 TDs Saturday and its not even an afterthought. I dont understand that

well, we have done that 3/4 years against aTm now ;)

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 11:52 AM
Hey, Dixon deserves to be the front runner at this point...great dual threat. But I saw last week that James Freaking Lauranitis from Ohio State is actually getting a top five vote on espn.com's Heisman watch list. Sam? Not a one.

I am not touting Sam to win it, but he should be in the discussion more than he is at this point. No one can find ten players doing more than he is this year at Heisman positions (leave the defenders out of it...they never win it).

ouwapiti
11/5/2007, 11:53 AM
i wish bradford was as mobile as dixon....sam not a threat on zone keep

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 11:57 AM
The espn.com Heisman poll before Saturday's games...

Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Matt Ryan QB Boston College Sr. 12 2 0 0 0 68
Dennis Dixon QB Oregon Sr. 3 8 4 0 0 59
Tim Tebow QB Florida So. 0 2 7 0 1 30
Pat White QB West Virginia Jr. 0 1 3 2 2 19
Mike Hart RB Michigan Sr. 0 1 0 4 1 13
Chase Daniel QB Missouri Jr. 0 0 0 3 4 10
Colt Brennan QB Hawaii Sr. 0 0 1 1 1 6
Darren McFadden RB Arkansas Jr. 0 0 0 1 2 4
Steve Slaton RB West Virginia Jr. 0 1 0 0 0 4
Matt Forte RB Tulane Sr. 0 0 0 1 1 3
Glenn Dorsey DT LSU Sr. 0 0 0 1 0 2
Ray Rice RB Rutgers Jr. 0 0 0 1 0 2
Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky Sr. 0 0 0 1 0 2
Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech Fr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1

Matt Ryan should drop like a bad habit. The game was on the line and he threw a pick six to FSU...not his team's fault...HIS fault!

Matt Forte of Tulane getting votes is a joke. Same with Lauranitis.

Glenn Dorsey is banged up and missing half of games.

Ray Rice and Andre Woodson keep losing. WTF?

Jonathan Stewart is very average without Dixon as his QB.

Just saying Sam deserves to be on this list moreso than about half of them.

Scoregasm
11/5/2007, 11:58 AM
He's not in the discussions right now because they don't want to give it to him 3 straight years. He'll obviously win it in "08 and '09. :-)

stoopified
11/5/2007, 12:03 PM
To be fair, Dixon has done that against Michigan, USC, and Arizona State.
The way they are playing that is no more impressive than Bradford against UT,MU,aTm.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 12:04 PM
well, we have done that 3/4 years against aTm now ;)

True...he ll have to throw 8 or 9 in a game to really stand out:D

yermom
11/5/2007, 12:06 PM
i can see Dixon being above him, but him not being in the discussion is dumb

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 12:07 PM
Its not like I really expect him to win but that list is full of frauds

stoopified
11/5/2007, 12:25 PM
The three marquee wins for Dixon(USC,ASU,Mich) have a record of 23-5 with no Top 20 wins.The three marquee wins for OU(UT,MU,aTm) are aginst teams with a combined 22-7 record with no top 20 wins.IMHO there is not enough of a difference in opponent quality to warrant Dixon being held in such high esteem while THE ANSWER is ignored.

Add to that Sam is #2 in PE ratings while Dixon is #4.

yermom
11/5/2007, 12:30 PM
i'm not sure how you can ignore the rushing yards and TDs

CincySooner
11/5/2007, 12:46 PM
i'm not sure how you can ignore (Dixon's) rushing yards and TDs

yep... QB's who make something from nothing get a lot of credit, and deservedly so.

That being said, it's not Sam's fault he hardly ever has to scramble.

NYC Poke
11/5/2007, 12:59 PM
Dixon your mouth

:D

Heh. I met a guy who worked for a law firm in the South. His name was Dixon Hand.

I am not making this up.

SoonerBOI
11/5/2007, 01:09 PM
NIKE

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 01:14 PM
Pro Wings XJ200

SoonerLB
11/5/2007, 02:07 PM
The Heisman has become more of a media event than a tribute to the best college player of the year. A lot of the voters have never seen some of the best players play, so they vote for their personal favorites, or the one they have heard the most hype about.

The voting is done far before the season is over, so some players that should be considered at season's end are not even on the voting list. Not waiting till the end of the season and bowl games nullifies most hopes of the best player getting the award, and we've all seen non-deserving players standing on that stage, while deserving players sit at home. The New York Athletic Club and it's voting members need to pull their heads out of their posteriors, and wait till the end of the ENTIRE (bowl games and all) season, then pick the player that represents what the Heisman is SUPPOSED to stand for!

SoonerLB
11/5/2007, 02:07 PM
The Heisman has become more of a media event than a tribute to the best college player of the year. A lot of the voters have never seen some of the best players play, so they vote for their personal favorites, or the one they have heard the most hype about.

The voting is done far before the season is over, so some players that should be considered at season's end are not even on the voting list. Not waiting till the end of the season and bowl games nullifies most hopes of the best player getting the award, and we've all seen non-deserving players standing on that stage, while deserving players sit at home. The New York Athletic Club and it's voting members need to pull their heads out of their posteriors, and wait till the end of the ENTIRE (bowl games and all) season, then pick the player that represents what the Heisman is SUPPOSED to stand for!

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:19 PM
What is failed to be mentioned so far is...
(And don't get me wrong, I think Bradford will be a helluva QB for us)...

National Ranks for each player...

Passing Efficiency:
Bradford #2 (175.1)
Dixon #4 (163.1)

Total Yards per game:
Dixon #20 (291.4)
Bradford #41 (239.4)

Passing Yards per game:
Bradford #34 (239.56)
Dixon #40 (230.44)

Rushing Yards:
Bradford -1 yard rushing.
Dixon 549 yards rushing.

Total Touchdowns (Neither are ranked inside the top 100 in scoring)
Dennis Dixon 28 TDs
Sam Bradford 25 TDs

Bradford is having a Helluva Freshman year, but Dixon IMHO is having the better season.

arcman46
11/5/2007, 02:48 PM
Can you say "SENIOR"

aurorasooner
11/5/2007, 03:36 PM
The Heisman has become more of a media event than a tribute to the best college player of the year. A lot of the voters have never seen some of the best players play, so they vote for their personal favorites, or the one they have heard the most hype about. True, and then throw in having a career game against Michigan in the Big House. No matter how bad Michigan is, or which D-II team beat Michigan in the Big House, if OU played Michigan in Ann Arbor instead of Miami in Norman and Sam has the exact same game he had against Miami, he would be in the top 3 even being a RS Frosh. 1) the Heisman needs to clean up their voting act 2) After saving the Heisman, ESPN will eventually ruin it again, if it hasn't already, because ESPN wants to be the sport's story by influencing the sport's story instead of just being content objectively reporting the sports story.
For crying out loud, there's dumbazz Heisman voters out there that believe everything Lou Holtz, Mark May and Corso say is college football gospel and not a scripted entertainment act. They should be voting for the WWF "wrasler" of the year instead of the Heisman. Probably half of them vote against a player because they can't stand his team instead of actually voting for the player on performance alone. That being said, with Dennis Dixon's performance so far and if it continues, as well as him being a senior, and not just dismissing him because I f'ing hate Oregon and everything about those corrupt bast*@ds, I have no problem if Dixon wins the Heisman. Very exciting football player, imo.

Blitzkrieg
11/5/2007, 03:43 PM
It was amazing to watch the BC game when in one play Ryan went from the frontrunner about to deliver another great win to "Dennis Dixon has sure looked great this year".

Don't get me wrong, I know Sam is not a serious contender, but he should be mentioned, as should Daniel and Reesing.

Vic n Tulsa
11/5/2007, 03:46 PM
He's not in the discussions right now because they don't want to give it to him 3 straight years. He'll obviously win it in "08 and '09. :-)

That's right and Macolm Kelly is the greatest receiver EVAR!:texan:

jwlynn64
11/5/2007, 04:48 PM
What this discussion tells me is that Dixon shouldn't be in the race. If his numbers aren't that much better than Bradfords, then he doesn't deserve it.

I don't think that a marketing campaign of I'm slightly better than OU's freshman QB is a winning strategy. ;)

Scott D
11/5/2007, 05:37 PM

Actually because of the 2003 season, a majority of Heisman voters don't send in their votes until after all of the CCG's are over. More than a few of them felt they got burned voting for Jason White prior to the egg that OU laid against K-State.

Scott D
11/5/2007, 05:42 PM
Dixon Sam

TDs 20 25
Ints 3 5
Yards 2074 2156

You should add in Dixon's 103 carries for 549 yards and 8 TD, just don't compare Sam's 22 for -1 and 0 TD's to it.

As a senior Dixon is outperforming most quarterbacks in the nation, and a few starting running backs. He's also a guy who is an attempted stretched football into a fumble (by a receiver) away from being the starting QB for an undefeated team.

bri
11/5/2007, 05:45 PM
Matt Forte of Tulane getting votes is a joke.

Why, pray tell, is the nation's leading rusher (going into last weekend) getting Heisman votes "a joke"?

Scott D
11/5/2007, 05:47 PM
Why, pray tell, is the nation's leading rusher (going into last weekend) getting Heisman votes "a joke"?

because he plays for Tulane...duh ;)

bri
11/5/2007, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I mean, it's not nearly as impressive as throwing for a brajillion yards against such juggernauts as North Texas and Utah State. :D

soonerinabilene
11/5/2007, 05:53 PM
That's right and Macolm Kelly is the greatest receiver EVAR!:texan:

Hows that reid & bowman duo going for you this year? STFU.

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 06:03 PM

Okay, fine...let him have some votes. Nobody from Tulane is going to win the Heisman based on competition. Yes, Sam got big yards on weaklings, but he also threw five TD's on aTm and Miami...doubtful Mr. Tulane would run wild on them.

On second thought, I take it back. It is a joke...unless it is based on a lack of choices this year.

Mr. Forte

Mississippi State - 14 carries, 47 yards
Houston - 17 carries, 85 yards
Tulsa - 26 carries, 103 yards
LSU - 16 carries, 73 yards

Southeastern Louisiana - 40 carries, 303 yards
Army - 32 carries, 202 yards
UAB - 32 carries, 209 yards
SMU - 38 carries, 342 yards
Memphis - 44 carries, 278 yards

Total yards is not always the story...and who he got his yards against tells me a lot more than how talented he is. See North Texas receivers against Rice in game number two.

Scott D
11/5/2007, 06:30 PM
Okay, fine...let him have some votes. Nobody from Tulane is going to win the Heisman based on competition. Yes, Sam got big yards on weaklings, but he also threw five TD's on aTm and Miami...doubtful Mr. Tulane would run wild on them.

On second thought, I take it back. It is a joke...unless it is based on a lack of choices this year.

Mr. Forte

Mississippi State - 14 carries, 47 yards
Houston - 17 carries, 85 yards
Tulsa - 26 carries, 103 yards
LSU - 16 carries, 73 yards

Southeastern Louisiana - 40 carries, 303 yards
Army - 32 carries, 202 yards
UAB - 32 carries, 209 yards
SMU - 38 carries, 342 yards
Memphis - 44 carries, 278 yards

Total yards is not always the story...and who he got his yards against tells me a lot more than how talented he is. See North Texas receivers against Rice in game number two.

Sad is the fact that DeAngelo Williams when he was at Memphis was never seriously considered. He only rushed for over 1900 yards in both 04 and 05. LaDanian Tomlinson made it to NY despite playing for TCU. Steve McNair deserved to be there his senior year despite playing in a 'lesser division'.

If anything those guys show that recruiting isn't an exact science, and that sometimes that guy who is "too small, or too slow" has a higher up side than a highly touted recruit.

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 06:40 PM
Hey, too small and too slow never works out. Just ask Wes Welker! :)

BigRedJed
11/5/2007, 07:15 PM
Heh. I met a guy who worked for a law firm in the South. His name was Dixon Hand.

I am not making this up.
He should have hooked up with the mother of one of my elementary school classmates, Anita Dick. No lie.

MiccoMacey
11/5/2007, 07:35 PM
Kokaine Mothershed.

And his sister, Mary Jane.

From SouthEast High School in little ol' OKC.

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.mssu.edu/Chart/images/Oct4/sports/Kocaine_Issue6_AT.gif

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:24 PM
That was Kokaine Mothershed, BTW.

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:25 PM
That was Kokaine Mothershed, BTW. And he

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:25 PM
That was Kokaine Mothershed, BTW. And he went to

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:26 PM
That was Kokaine Mothershed, BTW. And he went to Douglass.

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:26 PM
Wow. That was weird.

jwlynn64
11/6/2007, 04:31 PM
Not just for you! ;) I used to work with a gal who legally changed her name to Anita Dicks. Not from Lawton are you Jed?

BigRedJed
11/6/2007, 04:46 PM
Nope. This was in Wichitittay.