PDA

View Full Version : AD for NFL MVP race

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 10:54 AM
Just curious...as I look at the NFL at the virtual halfway point, I don't see why AD is not a top three vote getter for the NFL MVP Award.

For starters, he now has a 310 yard rushing lead on second place. He stands at something like 1036 and Willie Parker is second at 726. That's unbelievable.

Now Tom Brady is probably the front runner, but even look at yesterday's game. Brady throws up a bomb that Randy Moss brings down to add 55 yards to his total. And is Brady putting up these numbers without Moss? I think not...we all know Moss has helped him a ton. Brady could not do this without Moss...which is what makes AD's numbers all the more impressive. Number one, AD has NO quarterback and passing game to take the pressure off of him. And he is STILL dominating. Not to mention that Brad Childress insists on giving Chester Taylor a decent amount of carries, which takes away from AD breaking 300 yesterday, and many more yards in other games.

I can see Favre in the mix for MVP at this point, but AD has to be a top vote getter right now...right up there with Brady.

badger
11/5/2007, 11:05 AM
The Vikings are 3-5... 4-5 now??? Whatev. You need to have a winning team or at least have an ok team to contend for this award. Brett Favre should win it - I say with extreme bias, but still, the packers are now 7-1 and it is behind his arm that we are doing that well.

When AD starts making Packer fans cringe like Moss' catches used to every game, THEN we can talk MVP. However, AD has had just enough off days to make him wait a year on that.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/5/2007, 11:06 AM
Just curious...as I look at the NFL at the virtual halfway point, I don't see why AD is not a top three vote getter for the NFL MVP Award.

For starters, he now has a 310 yard rushing lead on second place. He stands at something like 1036 and Willie Parker is second at 726. That's unbelievable.

Now Tom Brady is probably the front runner, but even look at yesterday's game. Brady throws up a bomb that Randy Moss brings down to add 55 yards to his total. And is Brady putting up these numbers without Moss? I think not...we all know Moss has helped him a ton. Brady could not do this without Moss...which is what makes AD's numbers all the more impressive. Number one, AD has NO quarterback and passing game to take the pressure off of him. And he is STILL dominating. Not to mention that Brad Childress insists on giving Chester Taylor a decent amount of carries, which takes away from AD breaking 300 yesterday, and many more yards in other games.

I can see Favre in the mix for MVP at this point, but AD has to be a top vote getter right now...right up there with Brady.

Harumph harumph!

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 11:08 AM
The Vikings are 3-5... 4-5 now??? Whatev. You need to have a winning team or at least have an ok team to contend for this award. Brett Favre should win it - I say with extreme bias, but still, the packers are now 7-1 and it is behind his arm that we are doing that well.

When AD starts making Packer fans cringe like Moss' catches used to every game, THEN we can talk MVP. However, AD has had just enough off days to make him wait a year on that.

He's on pace to break Eric Dickerson's rookie record for yards gained, and isn't far off his Season total either. I don't think he gets there, but if he breaks 2000 his got a DAMN good chance of winning the MVP. ESPECIALLY because they have zero passing game. You know what they are going to do, and he still rips off 200+.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 11:11 AM
1980 Ron Jaworski Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1981 Ken Anderson Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback
1982 Joe Theisman Washington Redskins Quarterback
1983 John Riggins Washington Redskins Running back
1984 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins Quarterback
1985 Walter Payton Chicago Bears Running back
1986 Lawrence Taylor New York Giants Linebacker
1987 Jerry Rice San Francisco 49ers Wide receiver
1988 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1989 Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1990 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1991 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back
1992 Steve Young San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1993 Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys Running back
1994 Steve Young San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1995 Brett Favre Green Bay Packers Quarterback
1996 Brett Favre Green Bay Packers Quarterback
1997 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back
1998 Randall Cunningham Minnesota Vikings Quarterback
1999 Kurt Warner St. Louis Rams Quarterback
2000 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback
2001 Marshall Faulk St. Louis Rams Running back
2002 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback
2003 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback
2004 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback
2005 Shaun Alexander Seattle Seahawks Running back
2006 LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Running back

Whats the one thing all these have in common and this will answer MVP questions

badger
11/5/2007, 11:20 AM
1980 Ron Jaworski Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1981 Ken Anderson Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback
1982 Joe Theisman Washington Redskins Quarterback
1983 John Riggins Washington Redskins Running back
1984 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins Quarterback
1985 Walter Payton Chicago Bears Running back
1986 Lawrence Taylor New York Giants Linebacker
1987 Jerry Rice San Francisco 49ers Wide receiver
1988 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1989 Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1990 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
1991 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back
1992 Steve Young San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1993 Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys Running back
1994 Steve Young San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
1995 Brett Favre Green Bay Packers Quarterback
1996 Brett Favre Green Bay Packers Quarterback
1997 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back
1998 Randall Cunningham Minnesota Vikings Quarterback
1999 Kurt Warner St. Louis Rams Quarterback
2000 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback
2001 Marshall Faulk St. Louis Rams Running back
2002 Rich Gannon Oakland Raiders Quarterback
2003 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback
2004 Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts Quarterback
2005 Shaun Alexander Seattle Seahawks Running back
2006 LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers Running back

It must be noted that Brett Favre won it in 1997 also. :mad:

He and Barry Sanders shared the award, because voting was tied that year. It was Sanders' last year, after he prematurely retired. Aggies are such quitters :rolleyes:

:D No seriously, he was a great player and we rejoiced the one time we held him to under 100 yards rushing (he was -1 that day, a glorious day indeed). When AD turns into him, THEN give him the MVP, regardless of the Vike's crappy record.

BermudaSooner
11/5/2007, 11:23 AM

None of them have ever been in my kitchen? (spek for anyone getting this reference)

Partial Qualifier
11/5/2007, 11:35 AM
none of them were rookies?

Vaevictis
11/5/2007, 11:37 AM
None of them have ever been in my kitchen? (spek for anyone getting this reference)

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6047/cliffclavenfn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

THE ANSWER IS RIGHT! THE ANSWER IS RIGHT!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 11:53 AM
none of them were rookies?

close:D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 11:56 AM

The Final Jeopardy category is "Movies" and the answer is "Archibald Leach, Bernard Schwartz and Lucille LeSueur"

"Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?"

Partial Qualifier
11/5/2007, 11:57 AM
I can't get past the fact that Rich Gannon was a 2-time league MVP long enough to re-analyze the list ;) :eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 11:58 AM
It must be noted that Brett Favre won it in 1997 also. :mad:

He and Barry Sanders shared the award, because voting was tied that year. It was Sanders' last year, after he prematurely retired. Aggies are such quitters :rolleyes:

:D No seriously, he was a great player and we rejoiced the one time we held him to under 100 yards rushing (he was -1 that day, a glorious day indeed). When AD turns into him, THEN give him the MVP, regardless of the Vike's crappy record.

1997 Brett Favre
1997 Barry Sanders

Its also amazing that Dan Marino only won one MVP

SoonerStormchaser
11/5/2007, 11:58 AM
Heh...Rich Gannon as a MVP

The only thing he'll be remembered for is being Warren Sapp's bitch during the Super Bowl.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 12:00 PM
I can't get past the fact that Rich Gannon was a 2-time league MVP long enough to re-analyze the list ;) :eek:

That means he was better than Marino, right?:D

GrapevineSooner
11/5/2007, 12:56 PM
All I know is I'm glad I drafted him in both of my fantasy leagues. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/5/2007, 01:08 PM
Brady will win the MVP because the Pats are going to win 14 games minimum and he is going to put up record breaking numbers.

At the same time AD is likely to rush fof 2000 yards for a team with no other offensive weapons and 1/2 of a good offensive line.

He should be a solid #2 in the voting.

Aries
11/5/2007, 01:34 PM

Well, the WORST record on that list is 9-7, but by and large the MVP is the person judged to be the Most Valuable Player on a pretty good team. Most of those had records in the 13-3 or better neighborhood, and without checking I'd guess most of them played in the Super Bowl.

The Vikings are no where near good enough to produce a league MVP this year.

But I'd say if he stays healthy the rest of the season, AD's shot at Rookie of the Year is excellent.

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 01:36 PM
But I'd say if he stays healthy the rest of the season, AD's shot at Rookie of the Year is excellent.

AD could skip the rest of the season and this award is already locked up. Who else is even in the discussion?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2007, 01:42 PM
Well, the WORST record on that list is 9-7, but by and large the MVP is the person judged to be the Most Valuable Player on a pretty good team. Most of those had records in the 13-3 or better neighborhood, and without checking I'd guess most of them played in the Super Bowl.

The Vikings are no where near good enough to produce a league MVP this year.

WE HAVE A WINNER..and that 9-7 team made it in as a wild card I do believe

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 02:19 PM
The NFL Draft picks BEFORE AD...

1 Oakland - JaMarcus Russell - QB
2 Detroit - Calvin Johnson - WR
3 Cleveland - Joe Thomas - OT
4 Tampa Bay - Gaines Adams - DE
5 Arizona - Levi Brown - OT
6 Washington - LaRon Landry - S

The Maestro
11/5/2007, 03:34 PM
And I saw this nugget from foxsports.com...

"Peterson's 315 total yards were more than nine of the 17 other teams who played in the same time slot Sunday: Kansas City (234), San Diego (229), Denver (303), San Francisco (251), Atlanta (286), Arizona (195), Cincinnati (299), Carolina (199) and Tennessee (236)."

OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!!!

Chrisrokc
11/5/2007, 03:41 PM
I think AD has a chance for 2nd place for MVP. If you think about it though, maybe the MVP award should go to him because he is just that. With out him the Vikings would be in even a bigger hole. He is because of him they win games.

Could he be the key to winning games if he was in just about any other team in the nation. You bet.

Anyways Rookie of the year is locked down... thats for sure.

jwlynn64
11/5/2007, 04:14 PM
If the Vikings make it to the playoffs, he (and maybe the Vikings D) should get it because it will be on their efforts that happens.

Aries
11/5/2007, 08:18 PM
AD could skip the rest of the season and this award is already locked up. Who else is even in the discussion?

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

I'm not saying any one deserves it more than AD, especially after yesterday... but there are others in the discussion.

I think there's an excellent chance he'll win it, and I'm hoping he does.

Needs to stay healthy, though....

badger
11/5/2007, 08:31 PM
Greg Jennings has had a good year, too. But yeah, he won't get Rookie of the Year, I don't think. I think AD deserves it more.

Harry Beanbag
11/5/2007, 09:47 PM
Peterson's only competition for ROY is Patrick Willis who currently leads the NFL in tackles. Another 500 or so yards and it won't matter how many tackles Willis ends up with though.

Harry Beanbag
11/5/2007, 09:50 PM
Greg Jennings has had a good year, too. But yeah, he won't get Rookie of the Year, I don't think.

That's probably because Jennings isn't a rookie. You've got Packers on the brain dude.