PDA

View Full Version : Can someone who is smarter than I am tell me...

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:23 AM
...why in the **** Texas A&M chooses to run the stupid ****ing offense they do?

Stephen McGee is an above average QB with good mobility and decent arm strength.

Michael Goodson is a stud.

Javorskie Lane is fairly one-dimensional, but what a dimension it is.

Martellus Bennett is a freak. A stone cold freak.

Shankle is being wasted.

I just don't understand with all the pieces they have why they opt to do the stupid **** they do. Man I'm gonna miss Fran.

Widescreen
11/5/2007, 10:37 AM
Since I'm way smarter than you, I'll go ahead and answer.

Fran is a terrible coach. I think he's gone into premature senility.

I don't understand why they don't throw to bennett on every play. You've gotta think a lot of the players are looking forward to his "resignation".

birddog
11/5/2007, 10:38 AM
i asked this exact question the other night. you can't be effective when you are one-dimensional. they have some good athletes and they choose not to use them. maybe some of the resident nut grabbers can enlighten us.

it's a real baffler. has fran always run this offense?

yermom
11/5/2007, 10:40 AM
either that's the way McGee is most effective, or someone has coached the passing out of him. i haven't watched him a lot, but forcing him to throw is how we've beaten them the last few years

if anything, last year in Collie Station they abandoned the run when they were killing us with the "J-Train" i don't know if he was winded or what

sooner94
11/5/2007, 10:43 AM
I keep saying the same thing every time I watch A&M play. I think its a combination of couple of things.

First and foremost, its bad coaching. How does a coaching staff think they can compete in the Big 12 with a one-dimensional offense? Maybe in a lesser conference they could get away with it, but not the Big 12. Second, McGee is not a very good passer. He looks awful when he drops back and passes from the pocket. He doesn't look very comfortable, sometimes I think he's doing Riverdance in the pocket. Get a pass rush on him and he folds like cheap lawn furniture. Seems like A&M could recruit a QB that is a better passer than McGee.

rhombic21
11/5/2007, 10:45 AM
They ran the same offense last year, and were reasonably effective. The playcalling this year, however, is baffling. Lane didn't have a carry until the second quarter, they almost never threw anything to Bennett all game, and for some reason, Goodson didn't even play all that much. Seems like they had similar issues against Miami when they went down there and got blown out. They have virtually zero vertical passing threat at all, and they're not creating the same big plays in the run game that they did last year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/5/2007, 10:46 AM
what is funny is that mcgee owned quite a few 4a high school passing records throwing to jordan shipley. he was one of only 2 qbs we offered that year, the other?

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:47 AM
what is funny is that mcgee owned quite a few 4a high school passing records throwing to jordan shipley. he was one of only 2 qbs we offered that year, the other?

Thomas Lott?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/5/2007, 10:48 AM
Thomas Lott?

ding! ding! ding! give that man some vcash

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:49 AM
Woot!!!

Told ya I was smart!

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 10:50 AM

Bomar.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:52 AM
Isn't RB the correct answer?

JohnnyMack
11/5/2007, 10:53 AM
****ing stupid *** colley.

:mad:

****ing son of a bitch flood control mother****ers.

:mad:

badger
11/5/2007, 10:55 AM
Fran chose to limit Ja-pork-ie against Miami, and they lost big time.
Fran chose to run his quarterback all game until he's laying on the ground and they lost to us big time.
Fran chose to sit out Mike Goodsen, who would be able to catch if thrown to him, and would be able to run along with Pork and McGee.

The bottom line is, ATTENTION TEXAS RECRUITS: Just because a university offers you money to play for them doesn't mean you should shake that $100-holding hand. If you go to Texas A&M, your talent will be wasted with a coach who cannot coach.

Alas, these players were probably NFL caliber, but WHO CARES about players that can't execute on an offense that can't gain yards?

badger
11/5/2007, 11:02 AM
Bomar.
Now THERE is an overrated mofo. Perhaps we're spoiled with the fact that he followed Jason White, one of the greatest qb's in the history of Sooner Nation and followed by Sam Bradford, one of the greatest freshman qb's in the nation.

However, if I remember correctly (and I try to forget him, I really do!), he was just like McGee, in trying to run a lot and get yardage himself.

His passes were far from perfect (while admitting that he was a freshman), his running habits would cause him to get hit over and over, and really, does anyone miss him?

If we kept him, we would have had what Stephen McGee turned into - a run happy pass overthrower... who signals for first down every time he gets a first down, over celebrates meaningless ok plays and is somebody quite easy to dislike if he doesn't play for your team.

Hooray for Sam Bradford, Keith Nichol and Joey Hazle... three guys we can be proud of!

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe, but before all the BRSI stuff happened, everyone LOVED his upside. He's playing at BFE state, and is still in Mel Kiper's Top 5 Junior QB's for next years draft. He's got a rocket arm and quickness. Total dumbass, but he's got the physical skills. Just whether or not he gets his head all the way around and harnesses the skill and develops it.

But, he just injured his knee and could be out for the year...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=299792

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) -- Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar injured his left knee in Sam Houston State's 16-13 win over Nicholls State on Saturday night and is likely out for the season.

Bomar, who was kicked off the team at Oklahoma last year for breaking NCAA rules, injured the knee on a draw play with less than 2 minutes to play until halftime. Bomar kept the ball and ran toward the left sideline, where he was hit after a three-yard gain.

He will be evaluated early next week, a school official said.

The Sooners dismissed Bomar and former teammate J.D. Quinn before last season after revelations that they were paid for hours they never worked at a car dealership in Norman, Okla.

Bomar transferred to Sam Houston, and Quinn, an offensive lineman, went to Montana. Both sat out last season.

The Bearkats were 4-4 in Bomar's eight full games as the starter. He was 10-of-16 for 159 yards when he left with the injury, giving him 2,209 passing yards this season. He has 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Before Saturday, Bomar was the team's second-leading rusher with 380 yards and seven TDs. He had 26 rushing yards against Nicholls.

OUinFLA
11/5/2007, 11:33 AM
I would gladly have answered your question, but you disqualified me in the thread title.

So, no second chance for you.

humblesooner
11/5/2007, 11:36 AM
I don't think I have read an article about RB since he has been gone, where the second paragraph doesn't start of with " Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team at Oklahoma...".
That will surely be his legacy.

yermom
11/5/2007, 11:44 AM
Now THERE is an overrated mofo. Perhaps we're spoiled with the fact that he followed Jason White, one of the greatest qb's in the history of Sooner Nation and followed by Sam Bradford, one of the greatest freshman qb's in the nation.

However, if I remember correctly (and I try to forget him, I really do!), he was just like McGee, in trying to run a lot and get yardage himself.

His passes were far from perfect (while admitting that he was a freshman), his running habits would cause him to get hit over and over, and really, does anyone miss him?

If we kept him, we would have had what Stephen McGee turned into - a run happy pass overthrower... who signals for first down every time he gets a first down, over celebrates meaningless ok plays and is somebody quite easy to dislike if he doesn't play for your team.

Hooray for Sam Bradford, Keith Nichol and Joey Hazle... three guys we can be proud of!

off the field was one thing, but there at the end of the season he was playing pretty well, barring the jackass spike at the end of the Holiday Bowl

he was much more of a passing threat than McGee was

Mac94
11/5/2007, 11:49 AM
You obviosuly don;t get coach Fran's e-mails. It's because he and Les are so much smarter than the rest of us .... just ask him ... he'll tell you. Any success shows his brilliance, any failure is obviously because the players failed.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 12:06 PM
various answers to this question:

#1 Fran is not a very good coach and now that's he's instituted the option
game is unable to switch out of it.
#2 McGee while apparently being able to throw the ball around a bit in HS
does not appear comfortable doing so at the collegiate level. Whether
that's his fault (perhaps he was a bit overrated coming out of HS?), or if
it's been coached out of him who knows? Probably some of both.
#3 Besides Bennett they do not have big-time receivers.
#4 They are atm and they suck just because...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/5/2007, 12:46 PM
I know that is more or less what A&M does but that offensive gameplan Sat night looked like it was written by Callahan. Once the game wass 21-0 it looked like A&M was more interested in shortening the game than actually trying to win.

SoonerBOI
11/5/2007, 01:11 PM
They suck! No passing game at all.

ashley
11/5/2007, 04:36 PM
There is nothing at all wrong with their offense if you add a very effective passing game to their run package. Would you go there if you played receiver and did nothing but crack and stalk all day at every practice? Don't think all the recruiters have used that against them the past few years.