PDA

View Full Version : your emails...the gubment wants them

Ike
11/5/2007, 09:08 AM
This is an interesting development...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/04/4th-amendment_email_privacy/

On October 8, 2007, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati granted the government's request for a full-panel hearing in United States v. Warshak case centering on the right of privacy for stored electronic communications. At issue is whether the procedure whereby the government can subpoena stored copies of your email - similar to the way they could simply subpoena any physical mail sitting on your desk - is unconstitutionally broad.

This appears to be more than a mere argument in support of the constitutionality of a Congressional email privacy and access scheme. It represents what may be the fundamental governmental position on Constitutional email and electronic privacy - that there isn't any. What is important in this case is not the ultimate resolution of that narrow issue, but the position that the United States government is taking on the entire issue of electronic privacy. That position, if accepted, may mean that the government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant.

There's a lot more than what I quoted, but this is a pretty interesting read...

soonerbrat
11/5/2007, 09:16 AM
it's a british article. how accurate could it be?

Ike
11/5/2007, 09:29 AM
It is only reproduced in the Register...it originally appeared here:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/456

It's written by a guy who once headed the Justice Dept's computer crime unit....

85Sooner
11/5/2007, 01:08 PM
Alex Jones is RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Octavian
11/5/2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not doing anything wrong...so I don't care if the government reads all my emails. I don't have anything to hide.

In fact, jackboots can knock my door and storm into my house everyday until the end of time and I won't mind. They're trying to protect the country and keep all of us safe.

The government can continue to rape the Bill of Rights if they want to and I won't object. As long as I've got plenty of stuff to choose from at Target and the cheeseburger drive-thrus are still open and running.....I'll consider that freedom and like it.

Pricetag
11/5/2007, 03:06 PM
I'm all for protecting our civil liberties, but I've never been confident that anything I've e-mailed is private.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not doing anything wrong...so I don't care if the government reads all my emails. I don't have anything to hide.

In fact, jackboots can knock my door and storm into my house everyday until the end of time and I won't mind. They're trying to protect the country and keep all of us safe.

The government can continue to rape the Bill of Rights if they want to and I won't object. As long as I've got plenty of stuff to choose from at Target and the cheeseburger drive-thrus are still open and running.....I'll consider that freedom and like it.

heh