PDA

View Full Version : Texas' exciting win doesn't legitimize the Big 12 South

milesl
11/3/2007, 11:24 PM
If the headline doesn't **** you off, read the last 2 paragraphs this ********* wrote. I cant stand Sporting News anyway because of Matt Hayes.

Texas' exciting win doesn't legitimize the Big 12 South
November 3, 2007

Tom Dienhart

STILLWATER, Okla. -- It was like magic.

Poof! Just like that, a 21-point, mid-third-quarter Oklahoma State lead vanished before my very eyes. The only thing missing from Texas' 38-35 win?

A plum of smoke.

"First of all, I want to congratulate these players," says Texas coach Mack Brown. "For those kids and coaches to hang in there ..."

Adarius Bowman's 28-yard touchdown catch at with 8:40 left in the third quarter pushed Oklahoma State's lead to 35-14.

Cue the fight song! Tap the keg!

But from that point, Texas tallied 24 unanswered points.

And, faster than you can say "T. Boone Pickens," the Longhorns escaped with a victory it didn't deserve.

It's enough to make a Pokes fan wanna puke.

Brown warned us in the days leading up to the game. He told us we were disrespecting his Longhorns.

"Media and fan driven negativity really motivates our team better than praise," Brown said. "It's amazing to watch that for 10 years, but that's really the truth. Everybody will be talking about how great Oklahoma State is this week and how we're going to get beat, and that's a plus for us."

OK, Mack, here's some more motivation: Your team still really isn't that good. It's obvious there are no legit teams in the Big 12 South, save for Oklahoma.

The Texas offense has impressed most of the year. Quarterback Colt McCoy was dipped in Heisman bronze today, running for 106 yards and hitting 20-of-27 passes for 282 yards.

Sensational.

And check out running back Jamaal Charles. He dashed for 180 yards on 16 totes (11.3 yards per carry) on the heels of his 290-yard effort last week vs. Nebraska.

Stupendous.

But the defense? Well, it's not good.

Texas gave up 594 yards against Oklahoma State. Most of those came via the air, as Okie State quarterback Zac Robinson passed for 430 yards on 30-of-42 passing. He's good, but he ain't 430-yards-passing good.

Texas' fourth victory in a row moves the Longhorns to 8-2 overall and 4-2 in the Big 12. In the end, this looks like a second-place South Division team that will have to be content with, say, a Cotton Bowl bid.

Go ahead and yawn, Bevo. It's OK.

Brown doesn't care. He soaked in every last delicious moment of this improbable win, as the last few seconds drained off the clock with Ryan Bailey's game-winning 40-yard field goal soaring through the uprights.

The air then -- magically, of course -- sucked out of T. Boone's gorgeous football palace.

I'm guessing somewhere in one of the sweet suites high above HIS stadium, T. Boone frowned. He may have even furrowed his brow.

It was all right there for the Pokes ... the school's first win over Texas since 1997 ... Big 12 South title hopes. ... Validation that T. Boone's mega millions are backing a resurgent program.

"That was a tough one," says Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner for understatement of the year.

Gundy went on to say a lot of jazz about "eliminating big plays" and "getting back to work."

I hate to bring it up, but when the Cowboys (5-4 overall, 3-2 Big 12) go back to work, they'll be sitting across the table from Kansas, which has gone from innocuous to incredible faster than a fat man can eat a foot-long meatball sub -- with extra meatballs.

And Cowboys fans thought that loss at Troy early in the year was gruesome.

An Oklahoma State season that looked like it was turning around appears headed back to Disappointmentville.

As the Longhorns floated back to Austin, they can feel proud knowing they are the best two-loss team in the nation.

For what that's worth.

This Big 12 season has been all about the North Division, with the resurgence of Kansas and Missouri.

And, does anyone REALLY think the South champ (likely Oklahoma) has a chance to beat either in the Big 12 title game?

Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. You can e-mail him at [email protected].

Veritas
11/3/2007, 11:28 PM
Retard.

When SEC teams play each other close, it's proof about just how tough the conference is.

When Big 12 teams play each other close, it's proof that the conference has gone soft.

WTFever.

GottaHavePride
11/3/2007, 11:29 PM
IThe only thing missing from Texas' 38-35 win?

A plum of smoke.

You want to know were I stopped reading?

Seriously, if the guy doesn't know the diference between

PLUM:
http://www.greengiantfresh.com/images/plum.jpg

and PLUME:
http://images.astronet.ru/pubd/2001/02/19/0001166338/sts98plume_nasa.jpg

then I don't care what the hell he says.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/3/2007, 11:30 PM
I like plums.

GrapevineSooner
11/3/2007, 11:31 PM
Yes, we get it.

Tom Dienhart is a ******rocket who doesn't know how to engage in basic research.

Ground_Attack
11/3/2007, 11:33 PM
"T. Boone's gorgeous football palace"????????????? WTF?

does he realize that a south team is 1-0 against the top two teams from the north? what a ******

Octavian
11/3/2007, 11:36 PM
Did he sleep through the weekend when ESPN Gameday came to Norman for our win over Missouri?

Top notch staff there for The Sporting News :rolleyes:

bluedogok
11/3/2007, 11:37 PM
Hmmm...I thought Missouri lost a game to a south team? Those cheap *** "prevent" touchdowns at the end of games are going to come back to haunt you.

SleestakSooner
11/3/2007, 11:39 PM
That story is plum fool of biased aggot Bee SSsssss

josh09
11/3/2007, 11:40 PM
If the headline doesn't **** you off, read the last 2 paragraphs this ********* wrote. I cant stand Sporting News anyway because of Matt Hayes.

November 3, 2007

Tom Dienhart

STILLWATER, Okla. -- It was like magic.

Poof! Just like that, a 21-point, mid-third-quarter Oklahoma State lead vanished before my very eyes. The only thing missing from Texas' 38-35 win?

A plum of smoke.

"First of all, I want to congratulate these players," says Texas coach Mack Brown. "For those kids and coaches to hang in there ..."

Adarius Bowman's 28-yard touchdown catch at with 8:40 left in the third quarter pushed Oklahoma State's lead to 35-14.

Cue the fight song! Tap the keg!

But from that point, Texas tallied 24 unanswered points.

And, faster than you can say "T. Boone Pickens," the Longhorns escaped with a victory it didn't deserve.

It's enough to make a Pokes fan wanna puke.

Brown warned us in the days leading up to the game. He told us we were disrespecting his Longhorns.

"Media and fan driven negativity really motivates our team better than praise," Brown said. "It's amazing to watch that for 10 years, but that's really the truth. Everybody will be talking about how great Oklahoma State is this week and how we're going to get beat, and that's a plus for us."

OK, Mack, here's some more motivation: Your team still really isn't that good. It's obvious there are no legit teams in the Big 12 South, save for Oklahoma.

The Texas offense has impressed most of the year. Quarterback Colt McCoy was dipped in Heisman bronze today, running for 106 yards and hitting 20-of-27 passes for 282 yards.

Sensational.

And check out running back Jamaal Charles. He dashed for 180 yards on 16 totes (11.3 yards per carry) on the heels of his 290-yard effort last week vs. Nebraska.

Stupendous.

But the defense? Well, it's not good.

Texas gave up 594 yards against Oklahoma State. Most of those came via the air, as Okie State quarterback Zac Robinson passed for 430 yards on 30-of-42 passing. He's good, but he ain't 430-yards-passing good.

Texas' fourth victory in a row moves the Longhorns to 8-2 overall and 4-2 in the Big 12. In the end, this looks like a second-place South Division team that will have to be content with, say, a Cotton Bowl bid.

Go ahead and yawn, Bevo. It's OK.

Brown doesn't care. He soaked in every last delicious moment of this improbable win, as the last few seconds drained off the clock with Ryan Bailey's game-winning 40-yard field goal soaring through the uprights.

The air then -- magically, of course -- sucked out of T. Boone's gorgeous football palace.

I'm guessing somewhere in one of the sweet suites high above HIS stadium, T. Boone frowned. He may have even furrowed his brow.

It was all right there for the Pokes ... the school's first win over Texas since 1997 ... Big 12 South title hopes. ... Validation that T. Boone's mega millions are backing a resurgent program.

"That was a tough one," says Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner for understatement of the year.

Gundy went on to say a lot of jazz about "eliminating big plays" and "getting back to work."

I hate to bring it up, but when the Cowboys (5-4 overall, 3-2 Big 12) go back to work, they'll be sitting across the table from Kansas, which has gone from innocuous to incredible faster than a fat man can eat a foot-long meatball sub -- with extra meatballs.

And Cowboys fans thought that loss at Troy early in the year was gruesome.

An Oklahoma State season that looked like it was turning around appears headed back to Disappointmentville.

As the Longhorns floated back to Austin, they can feel proud knowing they are the best two-loss team in the nation.

For what that's worth.

This Big 12 season has been all about the North Division, with the resurgence of Kansas and Missouri.

And, does anyone REALLY think the South champ (likely Oklahoma) has a chance to beat either in the Big 12 title game?

Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. You can e-mail him at [email protected].

Wow.

:pop:

GreaterState
11/3/2007, 11:44 PM
November 3, 2007

Tom Dienhart

Jenni?

Just noticing the particular paragraph breaks and diction there that seem characteristic

insuranceman_22
11/3/2007, 11:50 PM
Did he sleep through the weekend when ESPN Gameday came to Norman for our win over Missouri?

Top notch staff there for The Sporting News :rolleyes:

Nah......that game doesn't count. Chase Daniels threw a couple of picks and gave us all of our points. The fact that they got a meaninless TD as the game ended and that a healthy portion of Mizz points came from OUr miscuse doesn't count either, that's just irrelevant. Kansas or Mizz will be the Big 12 champs, no question about it.

(I think he's been hanging out in Austin with the whoren backfield)))))

Sooner in the Bluegrass
11/3/2007, 11:51 PM

Resurgence? Resurgence?! I believe that in order to be resurgent, you have to have surged at one point in the past. Granted, I've not been alive forever, and there may have been some Jayhawk-Tigger golden era of football dominance which I missed, but if so, no one told me about it.

*Raises hand*. Maybe Tom ******ington of the Sporting News has had some sort of serious head trauma that has resulted in a really serious memory problem (in which case I apologize in advance), but OU has already actually beaten the Tiggers once. He could have at least acknowledged that fact while blathering on about how KU and MU are some kind of unstoppable football juggernauts.

[edited because spelling matters . . .]

Wishboned
11/3/2007, 11:54 PM
You want to know were I stopped reading?

Seriously, if the guy doesn't know the diference between

PLUM:
http://www.greengiantfresh.com/images/plum.jpg

and PLUME:
http://images.astronet.ru/pubd/2001/02/19/0001166338/sts98plume_nasa.jpg

then I don't care what the hell he says.

I think he was confused because he stuck his thumb up his *** and pulled out this plum of a column.

GottaHavePride
11/3/2007, 11:59 PM
I think he was confused because he stuck his thumb up his *** and pulled out this plume of a column.

http://www.jeffssite.net/images/fire%20fart.gif

Fixed.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2007, 02:23 AM
This guy thinks so:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=299764

I think we have a chance. Of course, the Big 12 North champ might be favored to beat us if we make it that far.*

* Heh, heh. Man, I hate myself when I do that.

KantoSooner
11/4/2007, 04:29 AM
Wow.
Box of rocks.
Bag of hammers.
This guy is stupider than he looks in his ratty little pub photo.
Did he miss the fact that we already beat Mizzou? Or that Kansas is, well, Kansas?

King Crimson
11/4/2007, 04:31 AM
we have no chance, since we already beat missouri by 3 scores until they got a late, meaningless TD to make it a two score game.

boomersooner28
11/4/2007, 08:56 AM
we have no chance, since we already beat missouri by 3 scores until they got a late, meaningless TD to make it a two score game.

Exactly. Did he miss that game?

Dan Thompson
11/4/2007, 12:23 PM
North conf W/L 17-17 Overall 33-24

South conf W/L 17-17 Overall 34-21