PDA

View Full Version : Boren Disses SUC

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/3/2007, 12:09 PM
Heh.

Oklahoma: NCAA unfairly used hoops case to take football wins away

Nov. 2, 2007
CBSSports.com wire reports

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The University of Oklahoma claims the NCAA infractions committee unfairly took previous violations by the men's basketball into consideration when it stripped the Sooners' football team of eight wins from the 2005 season.

In an 11-page rebuttal to the infractions committee released Friday, the university claims an NCAA subcommittee came up with new "aggravating factors" that didn't exist at the time of Oklahoma's violations and used them to erase all eight of the Sooners' wins from their Holiday Bowl season two years ago.

It was the latest development in Oklahoma's ongoing appeal to regain its 2005 victories and get a "failure to monitor" finding overturned in the case involving extra payments to former quarterback Rhett Bomar and former lineman J.D. Quinn by a Norman car dealership.

"Clearly these standards were not in effect at the time of the purported monitoring failure or the NCAA violations. At no time, even at the hearing, was the university advised of the new aggravating factors," Oklahoma wrote in the Oct. 29 rebuttal.

"This lack of notification places the university at a severe disadvantage. The factors were not mentioned in the decision itself even though it is now apparent they played a significant role in the penalty."

Oklahoma, which is on probation and has lost scholarships and recruiting time as a result of 577 excessive recruiting phone calls by former men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff, believes it is unfair the "aggravating factors" be applied after the fact.

"A prior case involving a different sport, different violations and different circumstances is not an appropriate factor for the imposition of a vacation of records penalty," Oklahoma wrote.

As in previous appellate arguments, Oklahoma again stressed innocent players shouldn't be punished because of rules violations by other individuals and that "without the university's assistance, the NCAA could not have proven any NCAA violations."

"I feel like we stated our case very well. Basically, the facts are not in dispute. I just hope they'll give very strong weight to the fact that we uncovered the evidence, we reported it right away, we didn't resist it," university president David Boren told the Associated Press in an interview Friday.

"When you compare us to some other schools like USC, where they still haven't gotten all the facts, I think that hopefully, because we took the lead, we did the right thing, we did it so quickly, I hope it will cause them (to grant the appeal). The main issue for me was not punishing all the players that worked so hard, not punishing the innocent players."

Oklahoma also claims that the NCAA's penalties aren't consistent with cases involving other schools and the NCAA made several procedural errors in the case, including holding the university responsible for a "failure to monitor" when its arguments only claim the violations "may" have been detected by monitoring procedures.

In addition to kicking Bomar and Quinn off the team, the Sooners have accepted other penalties, including two additional years of probation and reductions in scholarships and recruiting time.

"It seems inappropriate and excessive that student-athletes' intentional actions warrant a records penalty against all other innocent student-athletes, and a head coach who took admirable actions," Oklahoma wrote in its rebuttal.

Boren said he does not know a timeframe for a ruling on the appeal, which will be handled in writing by a separate infractions committee.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Linky (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10448227)

SleestakSooner
11/3/2007, 12:20 PM
Kelvin Sampson, the gift that keeps on giving...

meanwhile a monkey in a suit could prosecute SUC with the evidence against Bush alone, yet we haven't heard a peep about their "investigation".

FaninAma
11/3/2007, 01:00 PM
Kelvin Sampson, the gift that keeps on giving...

meanwhile a monkey in a suit could prosecute SUC with the evidence against Bush alone, yet we haven't heard a peep about their "investigation".

It is weird that the mainstream sports media has buried their collective heads in the sand regarding the entire USC fisco. I'm glad Boren isn't sfriad to call the jackasses on this issue.

It is also weird that there are still many defenders of Sampson to be found at OU.

StoopTroup
11/3/2007, 01:10 PM
After Kelvin has gone on to do the exact same thing at UI, I think they should repeal all sanctions against OU as it should be apparent that the only lack of Institutional Control that is needed is for UI to fire Sampson.

As experienced a Coach as Sampson is...it's disappointing to me to watch him do this again.

OK2LA
11/3/2007, 01:25 PM
I'm glad Boren isn't sfriad to call the jackasses on this issue.

I wish Boren would shut his friggin ham hole. If he's going to cry foul - I like that he is defending our program, BUT - keep other schools names out of his mouth!

He makes us look like whiney little biotches. Make your point WITHOUT mentioning a specific school. It's like saying: "Well Sally pulled my hair first! Why isn't she getting punished?"

He piisses me off to no end when he says this kinda crap.

Doged
11/3/2007, 01:42 PM
Kind of a mountain out of a mole hill, I'm thinkin'. He didn't dis SUC. He compared OU's quick investigation to a SUC investigation that's been ongoing for 3 years and thinks the quick fact-finding should be a factor in the punishment phase. Nothing new there.

badger
11/3/2007, 01:53 PM
Boren is a senator at heart - and as such, will demand more than he really wants so that he receives what he wants and both sides are "happy," as it appears to be a compromise. In this case, however, he is kind of sounding quirky, yes.

Charla
11/3/2007, 02:05 PM
Well at least Sampson learned his lesson.

StoopTroup
11/3/2007, 02:16 PM
I wish Boren would shut his friggin ham hole. If he's going to cry foul - I like that he is defending our program, BUT - keep other schools names out of his mouth!

He makes us look like whiney little biotches. Make your point WITHOUT mentioning a specific school. It's like saying: "Well Sally pulled my hair first! Why isn't she getting punished?"

Seriously...

It may p*ss you off...

It's what he's paid to do.

The NCAA is supposed to be impartial and fair and should be handing down disipline that should keep these huge Organizations in-line and stick to the rules. Instead they have been acting weak and inconsistant and it's been going on for way to long.

I could agree that I wish it was someone else that brought this up so that it doesn't put OU in a bad light...however if Boren is able to get the NCAA to treat all of the Schools with fairness and consistancy...then it will be worth it and President Boren should probably get Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize for actually doing something.

I'm not gonna neg ya either because I know how you feel when we got the backlash from the Oregon Incident he got involved with...however...Boren getting involved with a bad call in one game is small potatoes compared to what OU is facing from the NCAA decisions.

goingoneight
11/3/2007, 02:33 PM
He's not dissing the SUC. He's using them as an example when pointing out OUr actions taken.

Flagstaffsooner
11/3/2007, 02:41 PM
Kudos to Boren. He is defending our University. F the ncaa and f suc. WE ARE OKLAHOMA! Everyone else either bow down to us or shut the f up.

guzziguy
11/3/2007, 02:43 PM
If they recall all degrees ever issued by SUC, close the campus, bulldoze the buildings, and push the rubble into the Pacific the world will be a better place.

OK2LA
11/3/2007, 02:57 PM
Seriously...

It may p*ss you off...

It's what he's paid to do.

The NCAA is supposed to be impartial and fair and should be handing down disipline that should keep these huge Organizations in-line and stick to the rules. Instead they have been acting weak and inconsistant and it's been going on for way to long.

I could agree that I wish it was someone else that brought this up so that it doesn't put OU in a bad light...however if Boren is able to get the NCAA to treat all of the Schools with fairness and consistancy...then it will be worth it and President Boren should probably get Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize for actually doing something.

I'm not gonna neg ya either because I know how you feel when we got the backlash from the Oregon Incident he got involved with...however...Boren getting involved with a bad call in one game is small potatoes compared to what OU is facing from the NCAA decisions.

Well, I'll agree to a certain extent. Again - I don't care that he is defending the program. I appreciate it. He can get his point across w/out mentioning another probram by name. Whenever ANYONE says: "Well, so&so did this, and they didn't get in trouble, how come we got in trouble?"

This is pansy.

He is the President of our University. He should know that when he speaks - he will get quoted. - I don't know if it'll affect the NCAA's stance, and "treat all of the Schools with fairness and consistancy" like you stated - They'll either do it, or they will not - Boren's rant will not change that - especially when he is jumping up and down pointing at USC saying "What about them?!? What about them?!?"

In reagards to negging - I don't care - I'm haven't thrown my hat in for the popularity contest as of yet. When I do - I'll cry about it. Atleast one fellow Sooner bretheren shares your views on neggin' me. If he was in front of me - he wouldn't do it :D - they beauty of the innerweb.:D

StoopTroup
11/3/2007, 03:55 PM
The only reason I brought negging up is some folks kind of like Pres. Boren as he's made some pretty fantastic decisions...they may not like your tone is all.

As far as bringing up SUC....

They seem to be getting preferential treatment and I think he's right using them as an example and comparing the two situations.

Stoop Dawg
11/3/2007, 06:11 PM
It is weird that the mainstream sports media has buried their collective heads in the sand regarding the entire USC fisco.

I guess Yahoo! isn't mainstream.

It is also weird that there are still many defenders of Sampson to be found at OU.

Is it also weird that there are still many defenders of Barry Switzer to be found at OU?

FaninAma
11/4/2007, 12:56 AM
I guess Yahoo! isn't mainstream.

Is it also weird that there are still many defenders of Barry Switzer to be found at OU?

No, it's weird that you're trying to compare Sampson to Switzer. And no, Yahoo isn't the mainstream media.....especially for sports reporting.

Curly Bill
11/4/2007, 01:01 AM
I'm all for President Boren calling out SUC...because well...they're SUC, and they deserve it!

rainiersooner
11/4/2007, 11:06 PM

I think one of the bases for appeal is a disparate treatment argument - e.g., the NCAA isn't applying its standards uniformly. You can't really make that argument without showing the NCAA's conduct towards other schools, can you?

Ash
11/4/2007, 11:17 PM
Well, I'll agree to a certain extent. Again - I don't care that he is defending the program. I appreciate it. He can get his point across w/out mentioning another probram by name. Whenever ANYONE says: "Well, so&so did this, and they didn't get in trouble, how come we got in trouble?"

This is pansy.

He is the President of our University. He should know that when he speaks - he will get quoted. - I don't know if it'll affect the NCAA's stance, and "treat all of the Schools with fairness and consistancy" like you stated - They'll either do it, or they will not - Boren's rant will not change that - especially when he is jumping up and down pointing at USC saying "What about them?!? What about them?!?"

In reagards to negging - I don't care - I'm haven't thrown my hat in for the popularity contest as of yet. When I do - I'll cry about it. Atleast one fellow Sooner bretheren shares your views on neggin' me. If he was in front of me - he wouldn't do it :D - they beauty of the innerweb.:D

:rolleyes:

Ranting about Boren doing part of his job, representing his University is pansy *** along with the innerweb tough guy crap about "I dare you to say that to my face."

Kudos to Boren for NOT being a ***** and standing up for his University and not being afraid to call things like he sees it. If more University Presidents did the same thing, college athletics would be better for it, IMHO.

Collier11
11/5/2007, 12:07 AM
If he was in front of me - he wouldn't do it :D - they beauty of the innerweb.:D

SHUT UP!!! This crap is so fricking annoying, everyone is 10 foot tall and bullet proof behind a computer screen, but you are doing exactly what you are b*tching about by saying "in front of me, he wouldnt do it" BLAH BLAH BLAH

soonermeteor
11/5/2007, 12:40 AM
After Kelvin has gone on to do the exact same thing at UI, I think they should repeal all sanctions against OU as it should be apparent that the only lack of Institutional Control that is needed is for UI to fire Sampson.

As experienced a Coach as Sampson is...it's disappointing to me to watch him do this again.

Excellent point. Kelvin has a lack of phone calling control.

LesNessman
11/5/2007, 09:30 AM
Kudos to Boren. He is defending our University. F the ncaa and f suc. WE ARE OKLAHOMA! Everyone else either bow down to us or shut the f up.

Amen to that. I'm glad he's pushing the issue.

OK2LA
11/5/2007, 09:35 AM
SHUT UP!!! This crap is so fricking annoying, everyone is 10 foot tall and bullet proof behind a computer screen, but you are doing exactly what you are b*tching about by saying "in front of me, he wouldnt do it" BLAH BLAH BLAH

Relax Collie - you saw the smiley faces didn't you?:D That mean's I'm half tuff guy half jokin'. If you don't get it - that's not my fault.

Now - step away from the keyboard before I kick your arse.

Same goes for you Ash!:D

Ash
11/5/2007, 09:38 AM
Relax Collie - you saw the smiley faces didn't you?:D That mean's I'm half tuff guy half jokin'. If you don't get it - that's not my fault.

You wanna piece of me? Huh? YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?!

:P

crimson&cream
11/5/2007, 09:39 AM
Well at least Sampson learned his lesson.
When ? as he's in trouble again at IU for the same type violations as he's not suppose to have any 3way conversations with recruits, which he has done several times at IU yet it's part of his punishment. He shrugs it off as " I didn't they were 3way calls" Well idiot who do you think dialed the numbers since your not suppose to.

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 09:40 AM
No, it's weird that you're trying to compare Sampson to Switzer. And no, Yahoo isn't the mainstream media.....especially for sports reporting.

I think the mainstream media waited until there was a story worth following. before it was just a guy saying he had info, then getting paid off, and poof, story over.

Now that the other guy said he was going to meet with the NCAA, that's when the national media's interest got peaked.

Although that meeting got pushed to tomorrow, so Bush is probably signing a check today.

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 09:44 AM
Perhaps Boren didn't know that for much of the past 18 months or so, there has been a federal investigation into allegations surrounding the Bush fiasco.

And perhaps Boren didn't know that tomorrow, allegedly the NCAA investigators will meet with the sports marketing agent who sued Bush, which such agent was purportedly prepared to talk of the improper benefits and the manner in which USC assistant coaches knew.

And perhaps Boren forgot that the NCAA does not have subpoena power to compel testimony.

And of course, when the evidence is uncovered and the NCAA takes into account that USC did NOT cooperate, the sanctions will be far, far worse than a loss of a few scholarships and vacating wins.

The NCAA will use the USC matter, assuming they receive the incriminating evidence and not mere innuendo, as a benchmark as to what happens to schools that do not cooperate with investigations.

You people, from fans, up to and including the President, need to be patient and let the process work.

1890MilesToNorman
11/5/2007, 09:54 AM
Calling it like you see it is a long lost art in America, not just sports. Boren is shooting straight from the hip to point out preferential treatment and unequal application of the rules. The "Do you know who I am?" (USC) argument is getting pretty old these days in all walks of life.

Boomer Sooner

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2007, 11:30 AM
I sorta like the way Boren mentioned the suc "problem". Those folks need to deal with the problems they deserve to have.

Collier11
11/5/2007, 11:34 AM

I was talking to the half tough guy dip sh*t!! :D :D :D

OK2LA
11/5/2007, 11:38 AM
I was talking to the half tough guy dip sh*t!! :D :D :D

All right! All right!

All you have to do is punch the bully in the mouth, and he walks away sheepishly . . . .

(ok2la walking away sheepishly)

OK2LA
11/5/2007, 11:44 AM
Perhaps Boren didn't know that for much of the past 18 months or so, there has been a federal investigation into allegations surrounding the Bush fiasco.

And perhaps Boren didn't know that tomorrow, allegedly the NCAA investigators will meet with the sports marketing agent who sued Bush, which such agent was purportedly prepared to talk of the improper benefits and the manner in which USC assistant coaches knew.

And perhaps Boren forgot that the NCAA does not have subpoena power to compel testimony.

And of course, when the evidence is uncovered and the NCAA takes into account that USC did NOT cooperate, the sanctions will be far, far worse than a loss of a few scholarships and vacating wins.

The NCAA will use the USC matter, assuming they receive the incriminating evidence and not mere innuendo, as a benchmark as to what happens to schools that do not cooperate with investigations.

You people, from fans, up to and including the President, need to be patient and let the process work.

How is it that me and the :texan: are the only ones that are seein' eye to eye here?!? I just can't say it all lawyerly like Lid.

And I did call Boren a pansy. I might have gotten an objection or two with that one.

Scoregasm
11/5/2007, 11:52 AM
I sent a request to the NCAA asking about clarification of the USC issues. Of course I didn't expect to hear anything back and, I didn't. Maybe if everyone emailed them, we could be the squeaky wheel. (Think Mike ******). Anyway, here's the email link I used. [email protected]
Good Luck!

Collier11
11/5/2007, 01:05 PM
How is it that me and the :texan: are the only ones that are seein' eye to eye here?!? I just can't say it all lawyerly like Lid.

And I did call Boren a pansy. I might have gotten an objection or two with that one.

First, because of the obvious...second, Boren didnt call out USC...he simply stated that we were forthcoming and got hammered(in his eyes) and usc hasnt cooperated at all and nothing is happening

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 01:22 PM

This is pansy.

When you compare us to some other schools like USC, where they still haven't gotten all the facts, I think that hopefully, because we took the lead, we did the right thing, we did it so quickly, I hope it will cause them (to grant the appeal). The main issue for me was not punishing all the players that worked so hard, not punishing the innocent players.

Where is he saying, "so & so did this and didn't get into trouble?"

What he is saying is that OU found the problem and facts and turned them in without hesitation, unlike what is happening at USC.

In otherwords, he is stating the obvious. Without OU's help, the NCAA would not have found anything. Without OU's monitoring system, the NCAA would still be investigating. So how can a "failure to monitor" occur when it was the monitoring system at OU that found it and reported it?

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 01:57 PM
Without OU's help, the NCAA would not have found anything. Without OU's monitoring system, the NCAA would still be investigating. So how can a "failure to monitor" occur when it was the monitoring system at OU that found it and reported it?

Not exactly correct.

The email in April of 2006 which reopened the investigation after OU had cleared the dealership, went to both the NCAA and Boren. There was a witness at the dealership who was singing like a song bird.

If OU had not cooperated (i.e., pulled a USC) and the facts were discovered (from the witness at the dealership), the sanctions would have been far worse.

To Boren's credit, when the email was received, he did not instigate a coverup.

Collier11
11/5/2007, 02:32 PM
Not exactly correct.

The email in April of 2006 which reopened the investigation after OU had cleared the dealership, went to both the NCAA and Boren. There was a witness at the dealership who was singing like a song bird.

If OU had not cooperated (i.e., pulled a USC) and the facts were discovered (from the witness at the dealership), the sanctions would have been far worse.

They had cleared the dealership in the AD car deal, they knew nothing about the Bomar deal!

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:37 PM
Not exactly correct.

Let me guess, you know this to be fact, because you heard it being said on a aggie message board, right?

OU opened an investigation after an email to the University. The dealership did not cooperate and so OU could get no proof. They closed the investigation. It wasn't until the dealership changed hands that the investigation was renewed and OU got the evidence they needed to proceed to inform the NCAA.

Nonetheless, the NCAA was not the intial investigating party in this matter, it was OU. OU then turned their findings over to the NCAA, when they were finished with their investigation. And actions were taken by OU, including kicking the two players off the team.

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 02:42 PM
Let me guess, you know this to be fact, because you heard it being said on a aggie message board, right?

No.. I know this because I read the NCAA materials and releases on the matter.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:47 PM
No.. I know this because I read the NCAA materials and releases on the matter.

Then you obviously read the wrong material.
The only dealership that has been cleared by OU after any investigation was the one AD father was working at.

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 02:51 PM
Then you obviously read the wrong material.
The only dealership that has been cleared by OU after any investigation was the one AD father was working at.

Uh.. no.

Big Red was investigated by OU for the Peterson Lexus' situation. In March of 2006, OU issued a statement that they had investigated not only the Lexus incident but other student athletes working at that dealership as well and found no wrongdoing.

The email which re-opened the investigation came in April of 2006.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 02:55 PM
Uh.. no.

Big Red was investigated by OU for the Peterson Lexus' situation. In March of 2006, OU issued a statement that they had investigated not only the Lexus incident but other student athletes working at that dealership as well and found no wrongdoing.

HUH, Big Red is an import car dealership, mainly selling Kia's. If they had a Lexus, it was a used one. Other than that, the topic at hand for the overpayments of players, Big Red was never cleared. In fact, the university recommended that student-athletes not to work there.

Collier11
11/5/2007, 03:01 PM
Uh.. no.

Then you obviously didnt read anything correctly, Big Red had nothing to do with the Lexus situation

TexasLidig8r
11/5/2007, 03:20 PM
Then you obviously didnt read anything correctly, Big Red had nothing to do with the Lexus situation

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2413962

I await lavish apologies. :D

Oh.. be sure to read the last line in the article.

colleyvillesooner
11/5/2007, 03:32 PM
You guys having fun getting pwned by the whorn?

Collier11
11/5/2007, 03:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2413962

I await lavish apologies. :D

Oh.. be sure to read the last line in the article.

I was wrong about the AD situation apparently, my bad...but, with the employees situation, it wasnt discovered because it was covered up therefore no way to find it

OK2LA
11/5/2007, 04:38 PM
Where is he saying, "so & so did this and didn't get into trouble?"

"When you compare us to some other schools like USC, where they still haven't gotten all the facts, I think that hopefully, because we took the lead, we did the right thing, we did it so quickly, I hope it will cause them (to grant the appeal)."

USC = so & so

Desert Sapper
11/5/2007, 05:33 PM
"When you compare us to some other schools like USC, where they still haven't gotten all the facts, I think that hopefully, because we took the lead, we did the right thing, we did it so quickly, I hope it will cause them (to grant the appeal)."

USC = so & so

It looks like he is saying that we did the right thing and submitted full disclosure of the OU investigation to the NCAA, we did the right thing and kicked the two violators off the team, and we did the right thing by cooperating with the NCAA investigation. In contrast, USC has done none of the above. It's not about how much trouble Sally got into, because the NCAA has laid no sanctions for USC...yet. Personally, I hope they get crushed, but I doubt it. Nothing Boren says shines any further light on the situation or points any more of a finger at the Trojans than was already pointing. It's just pretty obvious that USC has a lot to hide. I agree with him. We did it the right way and we deserve to have all those mitigating factors brought to our sentencing hearing. USC clearly does not.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2007, 05:59 PM

USC = so & so

Apparently you cannot comprehend what you read.

Boren is not acting as if we got into trouble when another school did the same thing and did not.

Boren is saying we cooperated with the NCAA, and actually took the lead. USC is not doing any of the following. Which is very different than saying why did we get in trouble and not them.

My suggestion to you, expand your reading comprehension and vocabulary.

Vaevictis
11/5/2007, 06:01 PM

Not a big fan of the "Justice delayed is justice denied" concept, eh? ;)

SleestakSooner
11/5/2007, 06:05 PM
It looks like he is saying that we did the right thing and submitted full disclosure of the OU investigation to the NCAA, we did the right thing and kicked the two violators off the team, and we did the right thing by cooperating with the NCAA investigation. In contrast, USC has done none of the above. It's not about how much trouble Sally got into, because the NCAA has laid no sanctions for USC...yet. Personally, I hope they get crushed, but I doubt it. Nothing Boren says shines any further light on the situation or points any more of a finger at the Trojans than was already pointing. It's just pretty obvious that USC has a lot to hide. I agree with him. We did it the right way and we deserve to have all those mitigating factors brought to our sentencing hearing. USC clearly does not.

HERE HERE!

And another thing... anything that Kelvin Sampson and the basketball coaches did should have little to no bearing upon the outcome of this investigation!