PDA

View Full Version : Home remodeling hillbillies

Triumph
11/2/2007, 07:09 PM
We are talking about redoing one of our bathrooms. Should we go to lowes/home depot for this process? Should we hire a contractor, is so, any suggestions?

TIA

olevetonahill
11/2/2007, 07:12 PM
We are talking about redoing one of our bathrooms. Should we go to lowes/home depot for this process? Should we hire a contractor, is so, any suggestions?

TIA
DYI if you can . save ya some bucks . But make sure you and ur wife unit are best friends befor starting .

OUHOMER
11/2/2007, 07:24 PM
DYI if you can . save ya some bucks . But make sure you and ur wife unit are best friends befor starting .

Very wise advise;)

olevetonahill
11/2/2007, 07:31 PM
Very wise advise;)
Been De vorced thrice , I outta know . ;)

MextheBulldog
11/2/2007, 07:39 PM
what's more valuable to you? If it's your time, hire a contractor. If it's money, then DIY

contractor caveat: make sure you find the right one - this choice is critical to making the project go as you hope

StoopTroup
11/2/2007, 07:49 PM
When using a Contractor always pay for the entire job up front. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
11/2/2007, 08:27 PM

TIA

Hire a mexican crew, seriously. I did.:cool:

Whet
11/2/2007, 10:54 PM
It all depends on what you want to do and how comfortable you are with doing that kind of work.

For example, replacing the floor tile, vanity and counter top is not that difficult. If you want to rip the tub and re-plumb the location of the crapper and bathtub, that is getting more complicated and time consuming.

Or, if you want to have solid surface walls installed in the bath/shower surround (like Corian) - get a licensed and bonded contractor to do the job.

Electrical is pretty easy, IF you know what you are doing...

frankensooner
11/3/2007, 12:53 PM
My missus and I have redone several bathrooms. It is best to find where yours and your wife's individual skills lie. If she is good at determining the run on the tile let her do it. Matter of fact let her pick whatever she wants and then do whatever she tells you. Everyone will be happy. Also, if a smartas5 remark comes anywhere near your lips bite your tounge and don't let it out. Finally, once you start don't stop until you are finished.

sanantoniosooner
11/3/2007, 01:07 PM
PM me a phone number. In 5 minutes of phone conversation I'll know enough about you to suggest if you should hire a contractor or not and give some direction in hiring one if you need to do so.

This is not a joke.

Okla-homey
11/3/2007, 01:09 PM
When using a Contractor always pay for the entire job up front. ;)

better yet, just in case he needs to run out and buy additional materials, go ahead and give him a blank, signed check and make him pinkie swear he'll only use it on supplies for your project.:D