PDA

View Full Version : Cool article on Gute

OUDoc
11/2/2007, 08:09 AM
Gutierrez has made a big impact at OU

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman
NORMAN — Jacob Gutierrez didn't even play basketball at Madison High School in San Antonio, but Gutierrez being Gutierrez, he was part of the program.

"Jacob was such an influential kid,” said Madison hoops coach John Valenzuela. "Always at our games, always very supportive.”

In February 2003, when Gutierrez got a late scholarship from OU, Valenzuela advised the pride of Madison.

"He was really proud of me,” Gutierrez said. "Really happy for me. But he left me with some advice. ‘Don't let Oklahoma change you. You change Oklahoma.'”

Consider it done.

Gutierrez nears the completion of a career remarkable for its impact not on the scoreboard, but on the people he's encountered. Few Sooner football players ever have earned the respect generated by this fourth-string tailback who plays mostly on special teams.

Voted captain. Nominated for and won a variety of community and national humanitarian awards, for everything from volunteering at elementary schools to sportsmanship.

"A man for all seasons,” said OU associate athletic director Kenny Mossman.

Valenzuela nails it perfectly, calling Gutierrez that rare individual who has a leader's personality and a servant's heart.

"One of a kind,” Valenzuela said. "Very humble. His desire. His will to succeed.

"He changed Madison in so many ways. We still feel his effect. He changed me as well. I said, ‘Man, that's the way he deals with success?' I got into this trying to change kids' lives, and he changed my life. That's how influential this kid is.”

Talk to Gutierrez and it's all so matter of fact. Go to class. Help others. Respect people. Work hard. Do the right thing.

Life is not complicated. The little tailback from San Antonio, who has all of 10 carries as a senior, figured it out.

Gutierrez never forgot the words of Valenzuela, who says he meant no disrespect to Oklahoma but knew the kind of impact Gutierrez could make.

"Growing up, being around kids, kind of helping out wherever I could, I took that in mind,” Gutierrez said.

"But I had no idea what I was in store for with the way the community kind of surrounds you, the opportunities that you have just because you play football here.

"I've had so many opportunities to help out or go speak. I really kind of embraced that and tried to take advantage of it and be a part of everybody's life that I have the opportunity to be.”

Gutierrez went to Wal-Mart the other day and saw one of the kids he had worked with at Madison Elementary, near the OU campus.

"He still remembered me,” Gutierrez said. "Just knowing that I was a part of so many people's lives in my time here and had an opportunity to make a difference in their life. it's really a blessing.”

Gutierrez tries to pass on that revelation to teammates, "especially as I got older in the program and was in more of a position of leadership. To let 'em know it's going to be more than football. You can do more than run for touchdowns, make catches.”

That point hit home recently when the family of a young cancer victim came to campus and thanked the team for being part of their late son's life.

"I just want the guys to realize that we can make a difference,” Gutierrez said. "I pray that I've done that and kind of showed them that way.”

No reason to pray. It's done. The captain's vote shows that. How many fourth-team tailbacks are voted captain?

"Real special,” Gutierrez calls it. "The people you call brothers, that they voted you in a position of leadership.

"I've never been a huge contributor on the field as far as offensively. It lets me know I've made an impact on them, their lives, and they see me as a leader.”

He followed the advice of the coach for whom he didn't even play. Oklahoma is a better place because it signed Jacob Gutierrez.

"If my son grows up to be like Jacob,” said Valenzuela, "I'll be a proud papa.”

http://newsok.com/article/3162072/1193972403

Definitely a class guy. Glad he came to OU.

Ash
11/2/2007, 08:12 AM
Definitely my favorite player for what he does off the field.

He's had some good plays on the field, but I admire the guy's class and his active role in the community.

I'm proud to have a guy like that represent OU.

BoomerGirl34
11/2/2007, 08:14 AM
He's a man that made the most of his opportunities.....OU is better for having had him here!

soonersn20xx
11/2/2007, 08:22 AM
He's our "Rudy". :)

Desert Sapper
11/2/2007, 08:32 AM
I hope he stays a part of the program after he graduates. He has had such a huge impact on the team, the University, and the community. I think he has really helped his teammates put their football careers in perspective. We need more Gutes in the world.

ashley
11/2/2007, 09:17 AM
His high school football coach says he is about the most outstanding person he has ever coached in almost forty years of coaching.

snp
11/2/2007, 09:53 AM
Gute, with one arm in a sling, saved me from getting my *** kicked by JD Quinn. Yea, I'll always love that guy.

swardboy
11/2/2007, 09:54 AM
It would be cool to see Jacob get a lot of carries in his last Owen Field performance this year....and hear the crowd: "Gute, Gute, Gute"

Widescreen
11/2/2007, 10:14 AM
I remember when he was a freshman, rumors were flying that he was going to transfer. I'm so glad he didn't.

jps
11/2/2007, 07:56 PM
Gute, with one arm in a sling, saved me from getting my *** kicked by JD Quinn. Yea, I'll always love that guy.

What is the story there?

SWFloridaSooner
11/2/2007, 08:19 PM
Gute is a class act. We are lucky to have had him on our team and as such a big part of the OU nation.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/3/2007, 08:24 AM
I remember when he was a freshman, rumors were flying that he was going to transfer. I'm so glad he didn't.When Mike Stoops went to Arizona, he considered it. Ultimately he decided OU was where he needed to be. I met him at a wedding over the summer. He's definately a class act.

Wishboned
11/3/2007, 11:03 AM
One of the things that makes Stoops special, in my opinion, is that he seems to recruit character as well as ability.

Gute is a great example of this.

Dan Thompson
11/3/2007, 11:20 AM
It would be nice to see him carry the ball again.