PDA

View Full Version : RIP Paul...

Whet
11/1/2007, 08:45 PM
Today, a hero of WWII, Paul Tibbets, passed at the age of 92.

Brig. Gen. Paul W. Tibbets Jr., the commander and pilot of the Enola Gay, the B-29 Superfortress that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in the final days of World War II, died today at his home in Columbus, Ohio. He was 92.

In the hours before dawn on Aug. 6, 1945, the Enola Gay lifted off from the island of Tinian carrying a uranium atomic bomb assembled under extraordinary secrecy in the vast endeavor known as the Manhattan Project.
Six and a half hours later, under clear skies, then-Colonel Tibbets, of the Army Air Forces, guided the four-engine plane he had named in honor of his mother toward the bomb’s aiming point, the T-shaped Aioi Bridge in the center of Hiroshima, the site of an important Japanese army headquarters.
At 8:15 a.m. local time, the bomb known to its creators as Little Boy dropped free at an altitude of 31,000 feet. Forty-three seconds later, at 1,890 feet above ground zero, it exploded in a nuclear inferno that left tens of thousands dead and dying and turned much of Hiroshima, a city of some 250,000 at the time, into a scorched ruin.

Colonel Tibbets executed a well-rehearsed diving turn to avoid the blast effect.

In his memoir “The Tibbets Story,” he told of “the awesome sight that met our eyes as we turned for a heading that would take us alongside the burning, devastated city.”
“The giant purple mushroom, which the tail-gunner had described, had already risen to a height of 45,000 feet, 3 miles above our own altitude, and was still boiling upward like something terribly alive,” he remembered.
... General Tibbets expressed no regrets over his role in the launching of atomic warfare. “I viewed my mission as one to save lives,” he said. “I didn’t bomb Pearl Harbor. I didn’t start the war, but I was going to finish it.”

For the complete article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/obituaries/01cnd-tibbets.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5123&en=23811ef58b657dc3&ex=1194580800&partner=BREITBART

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2007, 09:00 PM
My dad was in the Phillipines, expecting to have to invade Japan. Needless to say, he and his fellow soldiers were ecstatic that Japan had surrendered as a result of the 2 A-bombs.
BTW, what happened to your avatar? It was the best one EVAR!

Whet
11/1/2007, 09:04 PM
Bill and Hellary are still there.... Although, I believe Hellary's nose may be growing!

11/1/2007, 11:25 PM
Bill and Hellary are still there.... Although, I believe Hellary's nose may be growing!Earlier this evening there was no avatar. heh, Hellary!

11/2/2007, 01:42 PM
Should be merged with the other Paul Tibbetts thread?!

OCUDad
11/2/2007, 01:48 PM
Should be merged with the other Paul Tibbetts thread?!Absolutely not. The other thread does honor to a great American. This one consists of two children giggling over an avatar. Leave this thread where it is and let it die the death it so richly deserves.

11/2/2007, 02:04 PM
Absolutely not. The other thread does honor to a great American. This one consists of two children giggling over an avatar. Leave this thread where it is and let it die the death it so richly deserves.haha, most all of us are consistent, aren't we?
BTW, this thread does both the things you mentioned