PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll on officiating

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2007, 04:56 PM
Courtesy of WeAreSc:

Q. Reading in the paper, it seemed you were claiming the officials weren't calling the games?

Pete Carroll: No, I made the point that again in the number of times in our years here, the teams that we play I don't know how this works. I would love to know why. If you have the answer, I'd love to ask you the answer why our opponents get penalized least in the conference? I don't know why that happens.

I think it's a magnificent advantage for our opponents. I don't know how that works. If it's our style of play or what it is, or if it's the attention to the detail when people play us. I don't know. I know they'd like to do that every game. But I think it's a pretty good stat there, if you take a look at the numbers.

Q. Are you asking for something from the officials?

Pete Carroll: No, I'm asking for help. If you heard, that was a plea. A plea to the media to help me on that one.

NYC Poke
11/1/2007, 05:00 PM
Heh.

Civicus_Sooner
11/1/2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.trojanwire.com/Pete-raiders.gif

Poor Pete

EnidHighSooner
11/1/2007, 05:07 PM
Lmao

MextheBulldog
11/1/2007, 05:37 PM
OVER-RATED

clap clap, clap clap

OU James
11/1/2007, 05:39 PM
wow, the wheels are falling off...you think he's taking those Charger phone calls about now?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2007, 06:23 PM
Pete just needs to recruit better. He isn't getting enough talent in at suc!

Blues1
11/1/2007, 06:29 PM
Please Let them Lose one more time - Lets end this dynasty crap Forever.... :)

USC vs texas in the Hoilday Bowl - I see it coming....~~~ !

11/1/2007, 06:32 PM

USC vs texas in the Hoilday Bowl - I see it coming....~~~ !Crikeys, man, who ya gonna pull for on that one?

Blues1
11/1/2007, 06:36 PM
Crikeys, man, who ya gonna pull for on that one?

That would be a game I would just sit back and relax - And Let the football gods take over.....IF that game happens..? I wouldn't be surprised to see a score Like Usc sucks 55 Texas 6 --- :)

Still R'

11/1/2007, 06:38 PM
That would be a game I would just sit back and relax - And Let the football gods take over.....IF that game happens..? I wouldn't be surprised to see a score Like Usc sucks 55 Texas 6 --- :)

Still R'Seeing as I want mack to keep his jorb, and Petey to lose his, I would pull for the whorns.

TexasEx4OU
11/1/2007, 06:41 PM
OVER-RATED

clap clap, clap clap clap

Sorry...you were missing a "clap".

OUmillenium
11/1/2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry...you were missing a "clap".

beat me to it

KantoSooner
11/1/2007, 07:00 PM
Pete Carroll is a steamer.

goingoneight
11/1/2007, 07:12 PM
Sounds bitter... but so did Stoops from an outsider's standpoint. I know I'm sickened by the fact when a crappy team plays against us and when you tally penalties yardage, we had to fight through a lot against a team that normally sucks. Sometimes I do feel that whent he refs gather in their little zebra huddle, they say...

"I think the Baylor dood was holding..."

"He was, I saw it... but come on... it's Oklahoma... let it go."

Not that there's a big conspiracy to help us lose or anything, but I do feel the underdog gets little 'gimmes' an awful lot. IOW, if OSU got penalized as much as we did last year when they made some of the exact same mistakes, would that game have really ended on the final play? Remember the Dantrell Savage fumble that Birdine recovered? See no evil, hear no evil, OSU just went right along... no review... no nothing.

Now Oregon and Tech, those were just blind screw jobs. It was more than evident that the refs and replay officals were giving OUr opponent the game because it was close enough. See: a dropped pass in the endzone is not a touchdown. See: You can't get pass interference on a tipped pass. See: if it was Oklahoma whose running back's butt hit the ground and he jumped up and crawled into the endzone, they'd have said "ballgame, no TD."

I do think Texas/SUC would be an interesting matchup. Neither coach would lose his job, so I'd swallow my pride and say "fight on."

11/1/2007, 07:29 PM
Petey wouldn't lose his job if the whorns beat him, but it might cost him in recruiting, which is A GOOD START to his demise.

SoonerBOI
11/1/2007, 07:46 PM
calm before the storm...uneasy time for you PETEY.

85sooners
11/1/2007, 08:04 PM
f em!

LSUdeek
11/1/2007, 08:08 PM
LSU's opponents have been flagged for 3 holding penalties all year.

soonersn20xx
11/1/2007, 08:13 PM
USC is imploding.........Petey jumps ship to the NFL.

Dan Thompson
11/1/2007, 08:17 PM
Pete is just pi%%ed because the Refs took away there best play -

late hits out of bounds.

USC is going to have 1 or 2 more loses. @Cal and @ASU, don't count
UCLA out.

I would love to see Texas beat USC again, that would be great.

SoonerMom2
11/1/2007, 08:26 PM

I have watched some of those games and the holding is done right in front of the ref and no flag.

It really is like the underdog is getting favored in game after game. When you are not for a particular team and can see the favoritism, you know it is bad. Obvious holding calls on the underdog are ignored in game after game.

Personally think the NCAA needs to take over assigning refs and get them out of conference control. Would like to see the SEC have to deal with Bible and his inept crew or several others in the Big 12.

I never want to see Bible ref another OU game again -- his crews is obviously biased against OU and no one will ever tell me any different. Even the announcers have been known to wonder where that call came from and cannot find it or will make a statement that it was holding on the fill in the blank underdog but it is not getting called.

As for instant replay, it sucks. Even that is biased IMHO! You can plainly see something on the TV and they overturn the call on the field and that is only supposed to happen if the evidence is overwhelming. The announcers more and more are speaking out that they don't understand a call that takes over 5 minutes when they are seeing the same replays.

Curly Bill
11/1/2007, 08:40 PM
Crikeys, man, who ya gonna pull for on that one?

That's easy: as much as I detest USuC, if they're playing the whorns I want USuC to stomp them severely. Now if it's the domers and the whorns, whom I despise about equally, then I'll set back and watch.

bluedogok
11/1/2007, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen holding being called much at all this year in pretty much every game regardless of team or conference. As long as they call (or don't) it evenly there isn't too much to gripe about. I just think officiating is poor overall and I do get tired of the "handicapping" that officials seem to do in mismatch games.

As far SUC and the Whorns, my hatred of SUC is greater of that than the Whorns.

jwlynn64
11/1/2007, 08:58 PM
Let me see... USC - plane crash, everyone dies... Texas - Bus crash, couple of guys get bruised up. Yep, hatred for USC > Texas. ;) I still pull for Big XII and not Texas though.

Cam
11/1/2007, 08:59 PM
Maybe Harbaugh will look like a prophet after all.

MissouriSooner
11/1/2007, 09:01 PM
USC v. Texas... hmm, let's see, do we recruit mostly the same players as Texas, or the same as USC? Mostly the same as Texas, so when Texas loses, we stand to gain more than if Texas wins. End of story.

Curly Bill
11/1/2007, 09:07 PM
...and if saxet wins you're guaranteed to see an explosion of nasty, puke-lookin burnt orange T-shirts, at least if you happen to be located in tejas, which I for better or worse am. If SUC wins...not so much, and besides: looks like maybe the NCAA is going to give SUC a kidney shot...fingers crossed. :D

Sooner1979
11/1/2007, 10:00 PM
USC v. Texas... hmm, let's see, do we recruit mostly the same players as Texas, or the same as USC? Mostly the same as Texas, so when Texas loses, we stand to gain more than if Texas wins. End of story.

It is true that we recruit head to head with UT, but every team including UT has a limit on Scholarships and Total players on the team...If there are 2 5-Star recruits in Texas at the same position, do you really think they are both going to sign at UT at the same time...OU has always recruited well in Texas based on the simple fact that while athletes may want to play for their favorite childhood team, they want to play on Saturdays and eventually Sundays much more...They go where they have a chance to play and also a chance to win...

11/1/2007, 11:38 PM
The whorns recruit well even when they don't win. suc doesn't seem to be able to do that. Carroll gotta GO!

Theskipster
11/2/2007, 07:28 AM

Interesting stat. Can you give a source?

I also wanted to make sure everyone here knows that the Lubbock insurance salesman ref that screwed us against tech hired the Tech player that he gave the touchdown to.

Dio
11/2/2007, 07:37 AM
looks like maybe the NCAA is going to give SUC a kidney shot...fingers crossed. :D

Now that's just crazy talk.

Desert Sapper
11/2/2007, 08:13 AM
I can't say I disagree with petey here. The duckies were definitely holding on a number of their big plays and no call. As for the rest of their opponents, I don't know. But I did watch part of the cheaters v. condoms, and the cheaters pulled off another officiating screw job. Don't know how it happens, like petey says, but it does. And the duckies are among the worst.

11/2/2007, 09:56 AM
I can't say I disagree with petey here. The duckies were definitely holding on a number of their big plays and no call. As for the rest of their opponents, I don't know. But I did watch part of the cheaters v. condoms, and the cheaters pulled off another officiating screw job. Don't know how it happens, like petey says, but it does. And the duckies are among the worst.Looks as if we might see some big-time home cookin' by the refs up in Eugene this weekend, where ASU comes to perform.

fadada1
11/2/2007, 10:16 AM

USC vs texas in the Hoilday Bowl - I see it coming....~~~ !
and how exactly is ONE (that's right folks, ONE) national championship a dynasty??

just curious.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2007, 10:18 AM
If they called holding 1/2 the time Tommy Harris was being held, we would still be trying to finish the 2003 season.

fadada1
11/2/2007, 10:23 AM
[poke fan/horn fan]If they called holding 1/2 the time Tommy Harris was being held, we would still be trying to finish the 2003 season.[poke fan/horn fan]
fixed.

sanantoniosooner
11/2/2007, 10:29 AM
don't fix what ain't broke

Tulsa_Fireman
11/2/2007, 11:05 AM
As a legitimate, honest question, has anyone here ever officiated a football game from at a bare minimum, the high school level? Even better if you have at the college level, regardless of division.

It's not a shot either way. Just like you guys, I've seen some things that are just insanity in black and white stripes and the obvious shall not be mentioned. But holds, especially at the line of scrimmage, if you wanted to be an asshat, could be called every down by definition of the rule. Every down. So with that, where do officials draw the line? Is it the rule of thumb, hands outside the pads? Where is your focus as the Umpire? Do you give things a quick passing glance as play starts and get out of the way? Do you have a process of checking down across the line?

C'mon, referees of the board, if you're out there.

We got it easy in our living rooms. Help us out and give us perspective.

SoonerGM
11/2/2007, 03:38 PM
i think carroll has a lot of nerve and has nothing to be complaining about. his team gets by with quite a bit too. the recent game where they beat us, it was holding and pass interferance all night.

when he is winning, its the opponents job to stop them. when he loses, its everyone elses fault. screw pete the whinebag.