PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely, mind-bogglingly RETARDED

mdklatt
11/1/2007, 01:35 PM
What kind of half-assed e-mail system doesn't allow you to create distribution lists?

Time to switch to gmail, I guess. :mad:

yermom
11/1/2007, 01:46 PM
:O

i hope i don't know what you are talking about

Howzit
11/1/2007, 02:08 PM
I expected this to be a thread about JohnnyMack.

JohnnyMack
11/1/2007, 02:12 PM
Your face. Shut it. For the rest of the day if possible.

mdklatt
11/1/2007, 02:13 PM
:O

i hope i don't know what you are talking about

According to the IT knowledge base, I can use OWA to view access distrubution lists I've created in Outlook, but I can't create any in OWA. Isn't the whole point to move people away from Outlook? What about people who don't have Outlook? So now we can't do something that we could do very easily do with the old system.

I've spent all day fighting with Outlook trying to get it to connect to the new server. It worked for about 30 minutes this morning with POP access, but hasn't worked since then. It works with IMAP access, but only sporadically. And shouldn't I be able to see all the folders I have set up on the server with IMAP? I only have an inbox, which of course Outlook treats differently from a regular inbox, so I now I have my non-OU mail showing up in my regular inbox, and OU mail showing up in the IMAP inbox. I would consider moving away from Outlook and doing everything online, but not if I can't set up a distribution list.

And don't get me started about how I'm supposed to get all my contacts onto the server.

crawfish
11/1/2007, 02:23 PM
The thread title had a world of possibilities.

This was preferred choice #4,569,013. :mad:

yermom
11/1/2007, 02:40 PM
According to the IT knowledge base, I can use OWA to view access distrubution lists I've created in Outlook, but I can't create any in OWA. Isn't the whole point to move people away from Outlook? What about people who don't have Outlook? So now we can't do something that we could do very easily do with the old system.

I've spent all day fighting with Outlook trying to get it to connect to the new server. It worked for about 30 minutes this morning with POP access, but hasn't worked since then. It works with IMAP access, but only sporadically. And shouldn't I be able to see all the folders I have set up on the server with IMAP? I only have an inbox, which of course Outlook treats differently from a regular inbox, so I now I have my non-OU mail showing up in my regular inbox, and OU mail showing up in the IMAP inbox. I would consider moving away from Outlook and doing everything online, but not if I can't set up a distribution list.

And don't get me started about how I'm supposed to get all my contacts onto the server.

if you are using Outlook to check an Exchange account via IMAP or POP you are doing it wrong ;)

AFAIK the idea isn't to move people off of Outlook

Partial Qualifier
11/1/2007, 03:02 PM
Isn't the whole point to move people away from Outlook? What about people who don't have Outlook? So now we can't do something that we could do very easily do with the old system.

but mdklatt, OWA = free web browser client.... Outlook client = $$ in microsoft's pocket..
c'mon, get with the program ;)

KABOOKIE
11/1/2007, 04:23 PM
I expected this to be a thread about JohnnyMack.

He's voting for Hillary didn't you hear?

mdklatt
11/2/2007, 04:25 PM
For those of you waiting with baited breath: Crisis. Averted.

I set up Outlook to connect to the Exchange server, so now I can create distribution lists that are usable with OWA. But it's still stupid that you can't do this directly with OWA, especially since a number of campus users don't use Outlook. Indeed, IT is pushing OWA:

Outlook Web Access (OWA) replaces the existing OU Mail web access and is OU IT's recommended connection method for both PC and Mac users.

I'll like the Exchange server a lot more if I can figure out how to copy Contacts from my Outlook Personal Folder to my Exchange Folder. I can copy mail just fine, but not Contacts. :confused:

yermom
11/2/2007, 04:54 PM
it's not supposed to replace Outlook for people already using it, it's replacing the cruddy old web interface from the Sun system

OWA in 2007 is a lot better than the previous versions though, and it's almost worth it to use IE with it. almost.

i've done the Contacts thing before, but i can't remember how at the moment. maybe it involved exporting and reimporting?

mdklatt
11/2/2007, 05:21 PM
it's not supposed to replace Outlook for people already using it, it's replacing the cruddy old web interface from the Sun system

What about people who don't use Outlook? How are they supposed to make distribution lists? I like it better than the old webmail...except for the distribution lits. It looks like you can (http://www.unisa.edu.au/ists/Email/owa.asp#distribution) create distribution lists in OWA, so was there a decision to turn that feature off in the OU configuration? :confused:

Another drag is being tied in to the entire OU directory now. I'm used to just typing somebody's first name in the To field; that almost caused a real problem yesterday. :O I've got the option set to match names from my personal contacts first, but it sure didn't do that.

yermom
11/2/2007, 05:25 PM
personally, i only use OWA if i can't get to Outlook, for the most part

it's IMAP compatible though, so you can use Thunderbird or whatever to check it

i can't speak to the configuration though, i'd rather gouge out my eyeballs than run Windows servers ;)